Probes of legal status a no-no?

Probes of legal status a no-no?

There are 232 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 10, 2008, titled Probes of legal status a no-no?. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Evanston is poised to approve an ordinance that may make it the first suburban "sanctuary city" in the Chicago area by barring city employees and police from asking about a person's immigration status in most ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
karin

Bloomingdale, IL

#253 Jan 27, 2008
Hugh Jardon wrote:
<quoted text>
Yawn...almost all second-generation Hispanics speak fluent English, and 72 percent of third-generation Hispanics speak nothing but English at home. Learn something before you start typing nonsense (like how to correctly spell in English for example).
why is the gang problem mostly mexican, they dropout rate so high, the proverty so high...this is a problem that exist with the mexicans..because they have no goals..no matter what generation they still have do no better..1st generation Asians are still excelling why is that? because they want a better life and have values

“<insert witty comment here>”

Since: Jul 07

United States

#254 Jan 28, 2008
Hugh Jardon wrote:
Yawn...almost all second-generation Hispanics speak fluent English, and 72 percent of third-generation Hispanics speak nothing but English at home. Learn something before you start typing nonsense (like how to correctly spell in English for example).
Actually, Hugh, most studies have shown that English fluency doesn't begin until the third generation (in Spanish-speaking households, presumably due to the widespread use of bi-lingual classes in schools), and exclusive usage of English usually happens in the fourth generation. But I see your point, and it is very maddening to see someone trying to make a point about English literacy and the post is full of typos and grammatical errors.
legal hispanic

AOL

#255 Jan 28, 2008
karin wrote:
<quoted text>why is the gang problem mostly mexican, they dropout rate so high, the proverty so high...this is a problem that exist with the mexicans..because they have no goals..no matter what generation they still have do no better..1st generation Asians are still excelling why is that? because they want a better life and have values
Karin that is un true I am hispanic live in a all white neighborhood and have other hispanic living here and no of us are gangbangers or drug dealers in fact we try and keep that elment out by watching what kind of hispanics move in , the problem is that gangs come the city to the burbs for drug distribution and by the time its caught its too late this people come from already lost neighborhoods and feed on whta would be good kids until they are dragged down by gangs and as far as english 3rd gen speak more english then spanish even at home .
legal hispanic

AOL

#256 Jan 28, 2008
legal hispanic wrote:
<quoted text>Karin that is un true I am hispanic live in a all white neighborhood and have other hispanic living here and no of us are gangbangers or drug dealers in fact we try and keep that elment out by watching what kind of hispanics move in , the problem is that gangs come the city to the burbs for drug distribution and by the time its caught its too late this people come from already lost neighborhoods and feed on whta would be good kids until they are dragged down by gangs and as far as english 3rd gen speak more english then spanish even at home .
Karen please forgive some of my spelling I am trying to work from home while writing these comments .
Jack

Burbank, IL

#257 Feb 15, 2008
When aldermen wanted to publish the names of Chicago Police officers with a long history of reported abuse Daley fought it and those thugs are still being protected.

The new Super works for Daley. So much for thinking things will change. Just a different colored sheet on the same old klansman.
Roy

Tellico Plains, TN

#258 Feb 25, 2008
Lawrence Williams wrote:
My wife and I had contracted a company called Green Forest Kitchens & Bath to put in new cabinets in our kitchen back in September and on the 21st of that month gave him $3000.00 to do the job requesting that it be completed before Thanksgiving.
The money was paid so he could get the material for the job, but he never did the job nor returned our calls or our money.
The company is called Green Forest Kitchens & Bath out of Whitewater, Wis. N348 Twinkling Star
Road..
I'm a senior citizen and my wife is disabled.
We would like Green Forest to return our money
but as I've stated he will not return our calls.
Lawrence Williams Friday 01/11/08 10:09 A.M
I would suggest reporting this to your local district attorney's office. If you check Wisconsin CCAP, you will find that this person has pulled this scam on other people as well.

Since: Feb 08

Evanston, IL

#259 Mar 3, 2008
Tim Carroll wrote:
Wow only one comment so far on this?
Evanston Village hall is filled with idiots. No reason for them to pass any law that provides sanctuary for illegal aliens. If they are here illegally they should be sent home, period.... I'm not a racist or against any immigrants staying in the USA but right now there is no provisions for them to do so legally. I feel that we should let most immigrants stay(everyone knows we need the tax money from all of them) but unitl they can ante-up like the rest of us and pay their fair share, they need to go. Who are these do-gooders in Evanston, messing up our country? Did they run out of budgets to approve, road signs to buy, or new ordinances to hassle people with?
I agree!!!
RJDickerson

Gilberts, IL

#260 Mar 4, 2008
Agreed. Even the motive of our 5-alderman Human Services Committee is highly suspect with regard to it's distorted logic of "...human and just treatment for immigrants and their families."

Our existing laws are UN-humane and UN-just? Not worthy of enforcement? Not worthy of Evanston? Not worthy of us? Ask Alderman Moran, with the immigration law firm on LaSalle. He just motioned to approve version-3 of 11-R-08. And now using us in the name of Human Rights to become more than a mere municipality that is holier than thy FED for a Congresswoman to flaunt full credit is both insult and folly. It was Dr. King who urged SDS, SNCC, CORE in the late 1960's to BRING DOWN THE FULL FORCE OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO ENFORCE OUR EXISTING LAWS. But in 2008, we choose simply to pander with outrageous egoism, if not profiteering?
1)Enforce our CURRENT laws.
2) Stop ALL free social benefits to ILLEGAL aliens such as free health care, free education, free incarcerations, and free welfare to name a few (BTW, THEY'RE NOT FREE!)
3) End chain migration.
4) Either re-examine the misinterpretation of the 14th amendment or add a new constitutional amendment to end all birth right citizenships (AKA anchor babies)
5) Seize the hard assets of ILLEGAL aliens that were not legally earned or paid for. Just like drug money can seized, so can ILLEGAL alien assets that were obtained through ILLEGAL employment.
6) Continue with the e-verify program and get the SS# no match letters out.
7) Start putting the criminal business owners and CEO's in prison who hire ILLEGAL aliens.
8) Withhold all Federal funds for cities than deem themselves "Sanctuaries".
9)Require that ANYONE who is arrested provide proof of citizenship. Anyone who is an ILLEGAL alien cannot make bail for any offense.
10) Immediately deport any ILLEGAL alien arrested for minor offenses such as public intoxication or vagrancy and immediately deport all ILLEGAL aliens after they have completed their sentences for other offenses.
11) No driver's licenses or businesses licenses for ILLEGAL aliens.
Those would be the majority of any good attrition through enforcement strategy, such as those used in Arizona, Oklahoma, and Georgia to name a few that have ILLEGAL aliens fleeing from their states.
toni

Bloomingdale, IL

#261 Mar 4, 2008
James wrote:
This has nothing to do with immigration!!!
It has to do with automatically assuming that a person that appears to be from another country will be treated as if they are leagal in the US and not treated otherwise.
I agree with the Evanston officials that they would take this action. After all we are one race, the human race.
This doesn't guarantee that crime will increase and illegals will flock to Evanston.
Read the article and understand what it says before un-called for comments are made.
We are a country that was founded on immigration. That is before immigration laws were set. Don't forget folks at one point all of our ancestors were here illegally and robbed the land for the Native American Indian.
Now what so you have to say?
so you will let all the illegals live in yoour basement, garage, front yard and back..then you will pay for health insurance and food, then you will pay for the schools fees and lunches because they are usually poor and are know to demand free lunch and will sue if they start a fire and kill "their" kids, they will sue the schools if they don't get a ESL program and then they will sue the village if they don't speak spanish...could you please get them a few Asians, Koreans, Polish, Italians to tutor them on how to learn ENGLISH, only breed what you can pay for and that your kids need college and you have to pay for it..did you write you check and open your front door to all these illegals that you value so much?
Sam Bass

United States

#262 Mar 4, 2008
If figures that Evanston would follow Chicago's lead, since Evanston is bastion of card carrying, effete intellectual liberals that see nothing wrong with crime as long as it doesn't affect them.

When this city is overrun with illegals and asking for assistance and other freebies and crime goes up, only then the liberal will ask what went wrong with their paradise. By then it will be too late.

If Evanston wants to make its city a warm comfy place for illegals let them. The city fathers will ruin the day that they voted for that ordinance.

I challenge anyone from the Evanston City Counsel or other liberals to tell the families of victims by illegal aliens the benefits received while illegal aliens are in this country and allowed to stay? I want the Evanston counsel members to tell the families of victims of illegal aliens that it is worth having their loved one killed by someone that entered this country illegally and that they are fighting to keep here.

The toll goes up daily of victims killed by illegal aliens. We must not forgot that these American citizens would be alive today if it were not for the illegal aliens flooding our country and liberal idealism of "sanctuary cities" and "path to citizenship" fostering the stay of illegal aliens.

Go to the following site and read the story of countless American citizens killed by illegal aliens and tell the rest of us, that are against illegal aliens being here and protected liberalism, that we are wrong and that the deaths of these American citizens are worth having illegal aliens here.

www.immigrationshumancost.org/text/crimevicti...
saw

Cumming, GA

#263 Oct 10, 2008
Tim Carroll wrote:
Wow only one comment so far on this?
Evanston Village hall is filled with idiots. No reason for them to pass any law that provides sanctuary for illegal aliens. If they are here illegally they should be sent home, period.... I'm not a racist or against any immigrants staying in the USA but right now there is no provisions for them to do so legally. I feel that we should let most immigrants stay(everyone knows we need the tax money from all of them) but unitl they can ante-up like the rest of us and pay their fair share, they need to go. Who are these do-gooders in Evanston, messing up our country? Did they run out of budgets to approve, road signs to buy, or new ordinances to hassle people with?
Were you ever in the Navy in Virginia?
Rob

United States

#264 May 15, 2010
are you kidding me wrote:
Don't forget folks at one point all of our ancestors were here illegally and robbed the land for the Native American Indian.
Now what so you have to say? I HAVE ALOT TO SAY YOU IDIOT, THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PROBLEM THAT IS HAPPENING IN 2008. KICK THE ILLEGALS OT NOW !
You are not kicking any body out we are going to multiply till we push you out to Canada dome ass.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carpentersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mike Innis Jul 11 Kmart reunion 1
News Police say man found dead in burning garage was... (Mar '08) Jul 7 ForestHospitalRes... 13
News Former Algonquin police officer turns himself in (Jan '10) Jul 7 Fairplay 6
red light cameras (Feb '10) Jul 3 Robbed in FRG 28
Is there any place in Barrington to sell expens... Jun 28 meow 2
South Elgin is Kane County's Most Corrupt Polic... (Mar '12) Jun 27 StRe 53
Help me find her! Jun '17 Looking 1

Carpentersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carpentersville Mortgages