Arrest warrant for grandma over 12-ye...

Arrest warrant for grandma over 12-year-old ticket

Posted in the Carondelet Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Man in Black”

Since: Aug 08

United States of America

#1 Mar 30, 2009
KSDK -- The City of St. Louis is demanding a grandmother pay her 12-year-old traffic ticket.

To make sure she gets the message, the city issued a warrant for Patricia Wilhelm's arrest. What did grandma do to get the attention of those who pursue justice?

Wilhelm is accused of improperly passing another vehicle on the right. She allegedly committed this offense in 1997 and the city wants her to pay up.

Wilhelm says if the city can show her the ticket, she'll gladly pay it. But so far, city officials have not produced it.

"I should have to pay it? They should have to produce a ticket with my signature on it," Patricia Wilheim said. "I have a right to proof that I have this ticket."

A few weeks ago, Wilhelm received a letter from a Texas law firm Linebarger, Goggan, Blair and Sampson, LLP, a firm specializing in delinquent government collections.

The letter claimed that on August 7, 1997, Wilhelm improperly passed another vehicle. With penalties and interest, she now owes $155. The notification states in bold, capitalized letters that a warrant has been issued by the court for her arrest. Any officer may serve this warrant and arrest her at anytime.

"I don't care if it's a dollar or $500, I won't pay anything I don't owe. If I owe it, I'll pay it. I always have," she said.

Last May the city hired Linebarger. The city hopes to chip away at the $18 million worth of uncollected bill it's owed. The law firm gets 25 percent of what is collected.

A managing partner with the firm said Wilhelm not only received a ticket, but appeared in court, had been found guilty and was fined.

"I have never been in St. Louis city court," said Wilhelm, "that I would remember."

There is no statute of limitations on the tickets. Attorneys are going back as far as possible to collect. NewsChannel 5 has been told they city is even pursuing about 200 cases from the 1980s.

Some defense attorneys specializing in traffic issues said if the signed tickets cannot be produced, people like Patricia Wilhelm should go to a judge and ask that the case be dismissed.

The I-Team requested all signed documents associated with this case. A representative with the firm promised to provide any available paperwork on Tuesday.

“Man in Black”

Since: Aug 08

United States of America

#2 Mar 30, 2009
How in the world can there be NO statute of limitations on a traffic ticket? I could have robbed a bank in the city of St. Louis in 1996 buried the money and would be free and clear today. I got a call from my mother the other day who received one of the letters for me. I told her not to worry about it that it had to be some sort of scam. I did get a ticket in 1996 and PAID IT! I could not even tell you how I paid it today. Any receipt I would have is LONG GONE! Could someone tell me how they can get away with this?

Since: Mar 08

Arnold Mo.

#3 Mar 30, 2009
That is interesting.
Jerry

Arnold, MO

#4 Mar 30, 2009
WTF?? I got 2 tickets that I paid in the early 90's. Are they gonna come after me next? Geez, I almost got arrested over one of them because they screwed up and issued a warrant for non payment. I got pulled over for a brake light about 6 months after I paid it and when they ran my license, it showed the warrant. Luckily I still had the paid receipt in my car. I called the next day and was told it was a computer error(yea right). Now anyone who has had a ticket in the city is going to have to worry about this cr@p!
Jimbo

Arnold, MO

#5 Mar 31, 2009
Jerry,

The same thing happened to me in the mid 90's. Only, I DID get arrested. My parents had to go into my apartment and look for my receipt to get me out. The cities court clerks are complete idiots. Wasn't this about the time that they caught a bunch of them stealing money when people paid thier fines with cash? I can't believe there is no statute of limitations on tickets!
brinstl

Chesterfield, MO

#6 Mar 31, 2009
Rabid Dog wrote:
KSDK -- The City of St. Louis is demanding a grandmother pay her 12-year-old traffic ticket.
To make sure she gets the message, the city issued a warrant for Patricia Wilhelm's arrest. What did grandma do to get the attention of those who pursue justice?
Wilhelm is accused of improperly passing another vehicle on the right. She allegedly committed this offense in 1997 and the city wants her to pay up.
Wilhelm says if the city can show her the ticket, she'll gladly pay it. But so far, city officials have not produced it.
"I should have to pay it? They should have to produce a ticket with my signature on it," Patricia Wilheim said. "I have a right to proof that I have this ticket."
A few weeks ago, Wilhelm received a letter from a Texas law firm Linebarger, Goggan, Blair and Sampson, LLP, a firm specializing in delinquent government collections.
The letter claimed that on August 7, 1997, Wilhelm improperly passed another vehicle. With penalties and interest, she now owes $155. The notification states in bold, capitalized letters that a warrant has been issued by the court for her arrest. Any officer may serve this warrant and arrest her at anytime.
"I don't care if it's a dollar or $500, I won't pay anything I don't owe. If I owe it, I'll pay it. I always have," she said.
Last May the city hired Linebarger. The city hopes to chip away at the $18 million worth of uncollected bill it's owed. The law firm gets 25 percent of what is collected.
A managing partner with the firm said Wilhelm not only received a ticket, but appeared in court, had been found guilty and was fined.
"I have never been in St. Louis city court," said Wilhelm, "that I would remember."
There is no statute of limitations on the tickets. Attorneys are going back as far as possible to collect. NewsChannel 5 has been told they city is even pursuing about 200 cases from the 1980s.
Some defense attorneys specializing in traffic issues said if the signed tickets cannot be produced, people like Patricia Wilhelm should go to a judge and ask that the case be dismissed.
The I-Team requested all signed documents associated with this case. A representative with the firm promised to provide any available paperwork on Tuesday.
I would be suspicious of any debt collection letter that claims an arrest warrant has been issued. It appears this is an attempt to collect a debt. It seems this matter is now civil as the city has turned it over for collection, so I'm skeptical about the warrant.
Dillon

AOL

#7 Mar 31, 2009
How can you commit every crime in the book except for murder...and there be a "statute of limitations" and not one for a piece of paper? I'm glad I don't live in the city anymore. I feel much safer here in Arnold with my "Red Light Camera's"

LOL
Garyhi

United States

#8 Apr 9, 2009
I got one of these letters a few weeks ago. I thought it was a scam. I got a ticket in 1997. I know I paid it. I couldn't tell you how, where or exactly when I paid it as I have NO records from anything before 2000. How can they do this? There has got to be a time limit on this kind of thing!!
rsb316

Fenton, MO

#9 Apr 10, 2009
brinstl wrote:
<quoted text>
I would be suspicious of any debt collection letter that claims an arrest warrant has been issued. It appears this is an attempt to collect a debt. It seems this matter is now civil as the city has turned it over for collection, so I'm skeptical about the warrant.
I totally agree. It seems that the mismanagement of funds has run amock, and now police departments are trying to find any loophole to get cash. Quite sad. Remember, if it's a criminal charge they still have to prove you did it. And if the officer isn't employed there anymore, no case. I don't understand how there isn't a statue of limitations on tickets either. I wonder if they will go after my grandpa. I'm sure he was drunk most of the time in the 30's driving his Model A!
my thoughts

Alton, IL

#11 Apr 10, 2009
Did anyone actually read the article? This case has been adjudicated. She was found guilty and given a fine. The piece of paper means nothing now as the case has been to court already. Had it NOT been to court then there would likely be a one year statute of limitation.
Justin

Tempe, AZ

#12 Jun 17, 2009
Yesterday I received a letter from the same law firm, stating much the same things, that I had citations in Leon Valley Texas totaling $780. I called the firm and spoke to a very rude woman who would not give her name, who proceeded to tell me that I would have my wages garnished and bank accounts seized if I didn't pony up the cash. She would only tell me that the citations are from 1999, but I left Texas in 1994, and have not been back since. They are supposedly 2 traffic citations, and 2 'Failures to appear'. I'm now calling the City of Leon Valley to see what documentation they have, but I have to say, after doing some research on this law firm, I'm kind of afraid. They seem to be extremely ruthless, as well as corrupt to the max. Unfortunately, I don't know what my rights are in the matter so I feel like I'm flying blind. Anyone have any ideas?
Bumper

Arnold, MO

#13 Dec 3, 2009
Lock her up!
El Paso Kid

El Paso, TX

#14 Jun 9, 2011
Obviously, the lawfirm of Linebarger Goggan Blair & Sampson, LLP is made up of a bunch of oddballs and freaks. I got one of "their" letters the other day; however, I just going to tell them to "piss off" because it is a scam.
Vicky

Saint Louis, MO

#15 Jun 14, 2011
http://www.ripoffreport.com/directory/Linebar...

Been happening for years, same law firm.
Vicky

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Jun 14, 2011
http://irahetaj.wordpress.com/2008/05/25/line...

One guy's fight against the law firm.

*Note he mentions a web search on Linebarger+fraud/abuse, results in nearly 1500 hits--

Where are the attorneys general on this?
Best Bet

Reston, VA

#17 Jun 15, 2011
If you can prove that this Law Firm is doing things unfairly and corrupt, I would write to a Fair Credit Reporting. I did just that from another shady Law Firm, they ran quick, but damage was done and now they are being sued on my behave
Anonymous

United States

#18 Sep 17, 2011
These guys are so f---ing sleezy, but they must be making money. They started sending me collection notices about ten years ago about a supposed ticket issued in Miami in April of 1991 showing my so-called Florida Driver's License number on it. I HAVE NEVER HAD A FLORIDA DRIVER'S LICENSE AND HAVE NEVER BEEN TICKETED IN MIAMI! About 5 years ago the driver's license number started appearing as my true Texas license number (public records).

I called them the first time they sent me the notice to let them know they must have a wrong addressee and to investigate the issue. I never got a return call after that, but have been receiving (through 3 different addresses since) a repeat notice for that ticket totalling $235.20 at least once a month and sometimes twice a month... FOR THE PAST TEN YEARS FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!. I guess they're spending about 6 or 7 dollars a year on postage, letter printing, return envelopes, etc. that they are sending me so right about now they're up to about $60-70 trying to freak me into sending them money. I'll let them continue for as long as they want. I figure I'll go through another change of address or two over the next 30 years and it will be entertaining to see if they'll ever stop wasting their money trying to collect that debt that isn't mine in the first place...lol. IDIOTS---SCOUNDRELS---but most of all ATTORNEYS!!!
KansasGranny

Stockton, KS

#19 Oct 29, 2011
A while back letters started coming here for my son from a TX firm, saying he had an old case that he owed money on and if he didn't pay, a warrent would be issued.
Several additional letters arrived, later versions saying the warrent was issued and only paying would keep him from being arrested. I happen to know people in the court system here and called them to find out about this matter, which would have happened when my son was 17-18 years old, at which time he was in some trouble. After several weeks of searching, no one has been able to come up with any case that was left unfinished when he left Kansas. Nor were there any warrents issued for him. I think these guys send out the letters to anyone who had legal offenses way in the past, hoping they will just send in cash, fearing they have forgotten something and not wanting to be arrested. My advice, DO NOT PAY these firms, contact the location of the "offense" and warrent directly and make them provide info to you about the case. If you owe, pay directly to the court and keep your reciepts.
UnReal

Reston, VA

#20 Oct 31, 2011
You can send a cease and desist letter to stop debt collectors/law firm. Once the collector receives your letter, the FDCPA allows the collector to contact you one final time, in writing, to let you know what action, if any, the collector will take next.
If they continue to harass you or if they have threatened you in any shape or form, file against them with the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collections Practice Act). it works trust me, I did it myself and they are being sued on behalf of violating that law
harleyman

Des Moines, IA

#21 Jul 22, 2013
Rabid Dog wrote:
How in the world can there be NO statute of limitations on a traffic ticket? I could have robbed a bank in the city of St. Louis in 1996 buried the money and would be free and clear today. I got a call from my mother the other day who received one of the letters for me. I told her not to worry about it that it had to be some sort of scam. I did get a ticket in 1996 and PAID IT! I could not even tell you how I paid it today. Any receipt I would have is LONG GONE! Could someone tell me how they can get away with this?
they are a collection agancy that adds on 25% for fees above what is owed ,states are hiring 3rd party to collect old tickets,fines so forth ,these dorks dig up old crap verified or not and try to collect money.They come across as lawyers,they are a collection agency !!! Dont call or give them the time of day .I didnt for a 13 yr old fine ,courts are not after me so if they dont care i dont care..there is 100's of complaints on this company all over the web,ck it out,,hope this helps

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carondelet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fox C6 Board of Education : Discussion (Jun '14) Jan 31 peanuts 1,324
Arnold election candidates Jan 27 Tater 6
Nicole with long,dark hair Jan 26 young dude 1
25 people Arrested on Federal Meth Charges (Sep '13) Jan 26 Lost in Space 53
News Best Place to Jog (Oct '13) Oct '13 Lafonda 3
News Satisfaction with St. Louis Police Depends on W... (Sep '09) Sep '09 NiteClerk 1
weber rd & lemay ferry st. louis county (Jul '09) Jul '09 CONCERNED 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carondelet Mortgages