Anonymous

Shallotte, NC

#1 Aug 5, 2013
The number of times I have heard the word shark in the last few weeks has gotten my attention. As a local here at H.B., I can honestly say my instincts never prove me wrong. Since I have lived here all of my life, when I started hearing so much fuss over sharks here lately, I took it to heart. And by that I mean I reminded my children every other second sharks swim in these waters. I think they got tired of hearing me. Until yesterday! I am that mother that pulls up at "The Island" across from Oak Island each Sunday with my husband and five children. We enjoy letting our children splash in the "canal" at low tide. We are very aware of the depth of the water and usually are concentrating on keeping the little ones in waste deep water. Yesterday my outlook on the safety of that waste deep water certainly changed... and that's waste deep to a four year old to give everyone an idea of how close by we keep the kids. We keep the older ones right by the little ones. Well yesterday while walking along the island with our dog as the tide was coming in, my husband suddenly says "SHARK"! And sure enough I saw the fin sticking up out of the water. My husband said it was a sand shark, I didn't get close enough to see the details. I was walking our dog and she refused to tread in the ANKLE DEEP water minutes before we saw the shark. Makes me wonder if she sensed the shark. My husband was close enough to see that it was a 3-4 feet long sand shark. The water the shark was in was below my husbands knees! I am now that over protective mom that will keep my little ones in inches of water as they splash and play on Sundays at "The Island"!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carolina Shores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Holden Beach Music Thread (Dec '14) Aug 27 Musikologist 4
What ever happened to Blackbeard Aug 21 Ruphus 1
internet providers near Supply? Aug 5 Willis 2
Cool cabana Jul '15 Lucky Dog 4
News First on 3 Update: Lotto winner, high-bond drug... Jul '15 carolyn 1
house to lease Jul '15 Timm Larry 1
Shallotte Music Emporium (Oct '12) Jul '15 Musikologist 13
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carolina Shores Mortgages