Dan

Canajoharie, NY

#1 Feb 17, 2013
Why , can anyone tell me how heating oil prices are at 4$ a gallon, when so many users have switched to Pelliets, Coal, Wood. This fuel is the garbage after gasoline from refineries, l would also switch if I could, not possible. I also notice there are more venders delivering , than ever before, the public are being screwed here.
ole timer

Pulaski, NY

#3 Feb 18, 2013
I agree with you Dan; I've switched as much as I
can to wood, but I still use some oil and the
price is crazy. I don't know how anyone just
using oil can afford it.
Propane 101

Cicero, NY

#4 Feb 18, 2013
I use propane what a mistake! Its a lower price but I use twice as much. Plus my pellet stove will only heat 1 room. Only way to save is cut on your own woodlot because buying wood is pricey also.
ole timer

Lowville, NY

#5 Feb 18, 2013
When you look at what it takes and costs to cut
your own wood, buying wood is not a bad deal. I
just bought a full cord of well-seasoned hardwood
for $180. To cut your own wood you first need a
woodlot, then a chainsaw, a wood splitter, a
truck to haul it with and that doesn't take into
account your time. I have a place where I can
cut wood for free, but at $180 a cord I'll keep
buying it.
Poor man

Canajoharie, NY

#6 Feb 18, 2013
With my oil cost and Taxes, 4500 k a year. Where are the politicians speaking out? That total cost is 20 percent of my income.
Ful mont

Oneida, NY

#7 Feb 18, 2013
Go on welfare or disability then they will give you everything. Free heat,junk food, medical,phone,
siding,windows,taxi rides but you will have to pay for your own pajama pants.
dig deep

United States

#8 Feb 26, 2013
Did you know that there are propane & oil co-ops? It cuts the price quite a bit.... heres the problem, it doesn't reach St. J. Sacandaga Co-op and Galway Co-op... now if they can do this WHY aren't more companies a part of this? If it can be done.... the whole industry should follow suit. I dont understand how people make it through the winter anymore, especially those on a very limited income. I wonder if enough people from our area called these co-ops and were interested if they would extend how far they offer their services... just a thought.
Energy wise

Liverpool, NY

#9 Feb 26, 2013
I put in a new high efficiency oil furnace,new windows and lots of insulation. Best investment I could have made. Im down to 2 fill ups a year and I am not a slave to the wood stove. By the way the supposed co-ops are a scam I'll stick with my small town guy good service and prices and I know who I am dealing with.
dig deep

United States

#10 Feb 27, 2013
A few of the small town guys ARE a part of the co-op... just not in our area. I work for HEAP & see it everyday. The price is based on your usage & its quite a bit less than you pay if you're not in the co-op. Also the sign up fee is minimal... so how is it a scam? Ive seen co-op bills for a few years now... nothing so far has looked like anyone was being screwed. It works like a food co-op.... are those scams too?
fed up

Fort Plain, NY

#11 Feb 27, 2013
Dan wrote:
Why , can anyone tell me how heating oil prices are at 4$ a gallon, when so many users have switched to Pelliets, Coal, Wood. This fuel is the garbage after gasoline from refineries, l would also switch if I could, not possible. I also notice there are more venders delivering , than ever before, the public are being screwed here.
The oil company's aren't happy making BILLIONS of dollars,they want more. Either the price of gas and fuel oil goes up because of the demand for it.Or it goes up because sales are down. Thank obama, he's to stupid to make them lower prices,or he he just don't care.He's living high on the tax payers money,about time for him to take another vacation to the islands.If he released the reserves prices wouls go down.
Pellets

Fonda, NY

#12 Feb 27, 2013
I invested in a pellet stove and after all the figures are tabulated, I save about $1000 a year over heating oil! That includes pellet cost and electricity usage with the stove. Sure, there's routine maintenance/cleaning of the stove, but I don't mind it at all for all the money I save. If you chose to use only oil, you either have too much money on your hands, or are too lazy to do anything to help out.

Of course it depends on the stove you buy. Don't get a cheap, bargain basement one, but then again, you don't need a $5000 Harmen either. Mine was $1200 and works just fine!
Come on

Cicero, NY

#13 Feb 27, 2013
dig deep wrote:
A few of the small town guys ARE a part of the co-op... just not in our area. I work for HEAP & see it everyday. The price is based on your usage & its quite a bit less than you pay if you're not in the co-op. Also the sign up fee is minimal... so how is it a scam? Ive seen co-op bills for a few years now... nothing so far has looked like anyone was being screwed. It works like a food co-op.... are those scams too?
Sounds like you realy work for the scamming co-op and if you did work for HEAP that information is confidential and you would be in violation of the social service policy.
Arab Jackals

Danielson, CT

#14 Feb 27, 2013
If the dollar keeps getting weakened through quantative easing, oil prices will go up. The fed expects to continue this policy for years.

Expect to see heating oil at $6.00/gal in two years.

Have a nice day.
Obummer

Cicero, NY

#15 Feb 28, 2013
All commodities go up and down mostly due to manipulation by wall st speculators.Food or propane futures as all others are traded with key strokes without owning it.Until we get a president to end this nonsense get ready because everything is going up. Look at gas prices the higher the price goes the more tax money the government makes.
duh

Little Falls, NY

#16 Mar 1, 2013
there is more crude on the market now than there has been in a long time.releasing reserves will do nothing,face it big oil companies are a bunch of filthy rotten crooks.we live in a free market society so the goverment cant do anything about the prices charged by private companies.maybe the goverment should open a huge oil company and use the revenue to pay off our national debt.screw mobil,bp and the rest of these crooks
George Costanza

Danielson, CT

#17 Mar 2, 2013
Their all just trying to screw me!!
Dig Deep

United States

#18 Mar 8, 2013
Come On..... you're a dipshit. I didnt release any confidential info.... I said a few of the small town guys have opted to be part of the co-op. Get your little head together and reread it. lol! Nad I do work with the HEAP program every day until Mar 15th... what a dummy you are.
Dig Deep

United States

#19 Mar 8, 2013
*and. Pardon my crappy Verizon phone. Now THERE'S a scam! Verizon.
Jim

Canajoharie, NY

#20 Mar 8, 2013
Only 7 percent of homes in U S use oil to heat their homes. It is more profitable for companies to charge more than to refine more oil. We oil heaters are screwed.
Farquhar

Danielson, CT

#21 Mar 8, 2013
Face it white boy, the days of cheap oil are over. You had it pretty good since the end of WW2 but now the parties over. You can make believe there's plenty of supply. However you should consider how far and how deep explorers are going to bring that supply. Hard to say when it's going to run out but all it takes is more demand than supply and the whining starts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Caroga Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
paul marriott 19 hr please get the wo... 14
Minden Board Must Go! Fri teaparty 105
Merry Christmas Minden!!! Fri teaparty 15
Animal Welfare in Montgomery County Fri teaparty 4
mc Thu Nice 2
Minden Town Clerk Thu teaparty 3
the missing Duncan girl from Fort Plain (Jan '11) Wed anonymous 70
Caroga Lake Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web