11 Latino students garner award

11 Latino students garner award

There are 71 comments on the The Morning Call story from Jan 25, 2008, titled 11 Latino students garner award. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

When Elizabeth Brito's name was called to accept recognition for being one of the top academic achievers in the state, her mother leaned into her husband and softly whispered, ''Look at her.'' Brito, an ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
seg

Bethlehem, PA

#72 Jan 26, 2008
Racism At Its Worst wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure where you get your statistics and not trying to insult you. But your statement about male/female salaries is too simplistic. The reality is that women tend to earn less due to some simple factors such as the number of hours they tend to work and their willingness to commute long distances to work. Studies have shown that men often spend more hours in the office per day where women prefer to have more personal time for family or whatever. Also, men are more likely to move jobs and accept long commutes to take new jobs that pay more. Women that take on the same hours and willingness to relocate and /or commute have been proven to earn salaries equal to men.
For every dollar a man made in 2003, women made 75.5 cents, the Census Bureau said in its annual report on income. That was down from the record 76.6 cents that women earned vs. men's $1 in 2002. The median income for men working full time in 2003 was $40,668, not significantly different from the prior year, while the median income for women working full time was $30,724, down 0.6% from 2002.

I got my information from the Census Bureau, you?
Racism At Its Worst

Easton, PA

#73 Jan 26, 2008
seg wrote:
<quoted text>For every dollar a man made in 2003, women made 75.5 cents, the Census Bureau said in its annual report on income. That was down from the record 76.6 cents that women earned vs. men's $1 in 2002. The median income for men working full time in 2003 was $40,668, not significantly different from the prior year, while the median income for women working full time was $30,724, down 0.6% from 2002.
I got my information from the Census Bureau, you?
I was more interested in where you got the information about Latinos making less. I addressed the fact that by the statistics women do make less but there are logical reasons for it - and you only had the simplistic view that women make less and are in some way being slighted.

You are dense.

“DIRTY BIRDY”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#74 Jan 26, 2008
junkyard dog wrote:
<quoted text>
You sleep with a picture of martin over your bed, don't you? It has nothing to do about if all of a certain race are bad - it's all about the bleeding heart liberal treatment of the issue. You self rightous liberals are too blinded by wanting to show the pretense of feeling good about everyone that you don't realize that you are perpetuating the myth of racism by making a story out of the amazing fact that 11 latinos won an award. You are truly laughable and ignorant of your own ways. Probably walk around and tell everyone who will listen that "some of my best friends are latinos".
You silly silly man..I am hispanic, so I guess you are right my best friend is a latina..And thats ME!!!!
Tom Paine

Northampton, PA

#75 Jan 26, 2008
seg wrote:
<quoted text>For every dollar a man made in 2003, women made 75.5 cents, the Census Bureau said in its annual report on income. That was down from the record 76.6 cents that women earned vs. men's $1 in 2002. The median income for men working full time in 2003 was $40,668, not significantly different from the prior year, while the median income for women working full time was $30,724, down 0.6% from 2002.
I got my information from the Census Bureau, you?
This is a little off topic, but I can’t let another attempt at playing the 76 cent myth card go by without challenging it. The basic flaw in your premise is that the census department figures take the total salaries of ALL men and compare them to the total salaries earned by ALL women. It compares all CEOs with waitresses and all men who are working two jobs out of necessity with women who work part time when they feel like it. By that same logic, I earn about 1 cent for every dollar that Katie Courric earns. Should I scream sex discrimination, or did I just get into the wrong line of work?

In occupations where men and women come in with the same education and experience level their salaries are virtually the same. In fact in high tech occupations, women are earning 110% of what men earn. Most of women’s diminished earning power comes from the choices they make for themselves. For example, it is a well known fact that engineers make more money than art history majors, yet engineering students are overwhelmingly male while art history majors are overwhelmingly female. No one is barring you from entering the schoolhouse door. You want more money – get the education.
Tom Paine

Northampton, PA

#76 Jan 26, 2008
seg wrote:
... The color of your skin doesn't infect your brain. This was indeed proven by science. My red car don't run faster then my beige car. Treat each person as a person and don't group them in a category. Sad when it is done this way <quoted text>
But isn't this exactly what happens when you give out awards based solely on race and ethnicity?
seg

Bethlehem, PA

#77 Jan 26, 2008
Well, Tom. Something good happen to the kids. This is a very positive step for this kids to get notice. I find it very sad that people are angry at the fact that they got this award. Maybe these young kids can serve as role models and other young Hispanic can strive for something better. People this is a good thing, not a bad thing. i know you point is that if they had a white award, that people would cry racism, and the sad thing is, You might be right, It is very sad, but we shouldn't take anything away from these great kids.
Tom Paine wrote:
<quoted text>
But isn't this exactly what happens when you give out awards based solely on race and ethnicity?
seg

Bethlehem, PA

#78 Jan 26, 2008
I got the information from the Census Bureau. Hispanics and woman do make less with the same education level, but you are right. Woman and Hispanic are finally closing the gap. It is very good news
seg wrote:
<quoted text>For every dollar a man made in 2003, women made 75.5 cents, the Census Bureau said in its annual report on income. That was down from the record 76.6 cents that women earned vs. men's $1 in 2002. The median income for men working full time in 2003 was $40,668, not significantly different from the prior year, while the median income for women working full time was $30,724, down 0.6% from 2002.
I got my information from the Census Bureau, you?

“DIRTY BIRDY”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#79 Jan 26, 2008
seg wrote:
Well, Tom. Something good happen to the kids. This is a very positive step for this kids to get notice. I find it very sad that people are angry at the fact that they got this award. Maybe these young kids can serve as role models and other young Hispanic can strive for something better. People this is a good thing, not a bad thing. i know you point is that if they had a white award, that people would cry racism, and the sad thing is, You might be right, It is very sad, but we shouldn't take anything away from these great kids. <quoted text>
Well said..
Middle Rowhouse

Allentown, PA

#80 Jan 28, 2008
It's very nice that these students won an award.Anyone who excells at anything,whether it is baking a cake,fixing cars or planting a garden is to be admired.
That being said,I can see where white people have an issue.No,it's not jealousy.Better that the kids are staying in school and even better that their grades are good.
There are certain organizations that promote and honor their own race and that's fine.
But it is a fact that if there was a group,exclusively devoted to white people,that folks of other races and even some whites ,would be up in arms calling it "racist".
When you have special interest groups that promote only Latino businesses,or only black businesses,it serves to further DIVIDe us as a nation.
We can only be a great nation if we all are part of one society.ONE LAND!ONE LANGUAGE!USA!USA!
OLE

Ocala, FL

#83 Jan 31, 2008
Tom Paine wrote:
<quoted text>
Not unless you're an athlete. My nephew grandated in the top 1% and there were no scholarships waiting for him. Had he been, female, minority or an athlete the cash faucet whould have been wide open.
Were you tutoring him by any chance?
OLE

Ocala, FL

#84 Jan 31, 2008
Middle Rowhouse wrote:
It's very nice that these students won an award.Anyone who excells at anything,whether it is baking a cake,fixing cars or planting a garden is to be admired.
That being said,I can see where white people have an issue.No,it's not jealousy.Better that the kids are staying in school and even better that their grades are good.
There are certain organizations that promote and honor their own race and that's fine.
But it is a fact that if there was a group,exclusively devoted to white people,that folks of other races and even some whites ,would be up in arms calling it "racist".
When you have special interest groups that promote only Latino businesses,or only black businesses,it serves to further DIVIDe us as a nation.
We can only be a great nation if we all are part of one society.ONE LAND!ONE LANGUAGE!USA!USA!
It is folks like you that make everyone else feel like an equal. You are so right. If more organizations viewed everyone on an equal basis rather than race or culture, we could ALL benefit equally and rightfully in everything this great nation of ours has to offer. It is these same separate organizations that causes gaps and rifts within the very fabric of our nation.
When will people learn that once we learn to treat each and every one on the same level that perhaps we can all FINALLY come together as a nation and be strong.
We've abolished slavery, and we're hitting hard where hate crimes are concern. We are attempting to raise our children to see others for their values and not their skin color. But how do you explain to your child who had gotten better grades than the other children, yet did not recieve an award because he/she did not fit into that particular minority group? Can someone answer this one for me?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carnegie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Montour school teacher selling hroin (Jan '15) 5 hr RocksGirl4life 31
News Crafton police officer charged in hit-and-run (Jul '09) Jul 23 Bullpn 7,597
News Residents Sound Off About Halfway House (Mar '10) Jun '15 Believer 17
News Allegheny workshops to explain smoking ban (Aug '08) May '15 Donato 4 Mayor 17
Deer Slaughter Mar '15 Inflate These Balls 9
News Governor praises high scores of nine Mt. Lebano... (Jan '14) Mar '15 YaYa 3
Coraopolis Police Chief Charged (Jan '15) Feb '15 RocksGirl4life 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carnegie Mortgages