Double Homicide In Carmel Valley, Nei...

Double Homicide In Carmel Valley, Neighbor Accused

There are 119 comments on the cbs5.com story from Jan 30, 2007, titled Double Homicide In Carmel Valley, Neighbor Accused. In it, cbs5.com reports that:

An ongoing land dispute could be the motive in a double homicide that took place in Carmel Valley Monday evening, according to the Monterey County Sheriff's office.Deputies were called out to 82 Hitchcock ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at cbs5.com.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Colleen

United States

#101 Jul 20, 2010
I just watched Dateline the other night.
I find it hard to believe that this man Kenny was afraid. He purposly antagonized them, then came out to confront them with a gun. If he was so scared, he should have stayed in his house, called the police, then a realtor. Selling and moving could have saved this poor man ( haha) from being so scared of his neighbors. They were there first and seemed to enjoy their life. He on the otherhand, seemed to be a miserable person, who needed to create some strife one way or another for his amusement. Shame on him. When you move into a existing neighborhood, you should try to blend in, otherwise, you can certainly expect trouble.
No one needs a neighbor like him.
Colleen

United States

#102 Jul 20, 2010
July 20, 2010

I have nevered been so angered watching a tv show as I was watching this story. The blatent bull shit this old man was spewing about how scared he was made me very angry. Age does not give you the right to act the way he did. If anything, as we age, we should learn to not let the little things in life become so overwhelming. He just could not stand the fact that these people (who lived there for 17 years) did not fit into his idea of what and how they should behave as his neighbors. As I stated in the above comment, he could have easily moved if he was so scared. But instead he chose to torment them by hurting their animals, blocking an easement, which legally neither party owned, spying on them, and in general, just being a nosey bastard. I agree with another writer, why didn't he just go live his his wonderful wife and kids? Probably because they didn't want him around.
I pray God will judge you harshly Mr. Kenney for your stupidity. Was it really worth it? It would have been so much easier to move...
McD

United States

#103 Aug 26, 2010
Watched this on Dateline last night and it broke my heart to hear the 911 call. I just can't seem to get it out of my mind, hearing them tell each other 'I love you' as they lay there dying.....heartbreaking! I didn't know either party or all the details around the dispute, but I don't need to either...there is no excuse for what happened. People's lives were taken in cold blood period. I really lose faith in humanity when I hear crap like this. My heart goes out to the families of all involved. I can't imagine the pain and confusion they all must be feeling.
tahoedirt

South Lake Tahoe, CA

#104 Nov 11, 2010
I watched this for the first time tonight and had never heard about it- I left Aptos where I lived for 20 years in 1998 and had problems with neighbors surrounding my 4 acres. A couple observations- First, people are not how they always seem when put in these kinds of situations. Even if you know them, you might be surprised at how they'll act when pushed. Second, it prove's that these kinds of petty arguments are not worth it- Reach out and try to amicibly resolve your differences in a fair and reasonable manner. That this was never done, caused all this grief.
kenney

Sherwood, WI

#105 Jan 18, 2011
I just watched this on investigation discovery. Also, did I hear Mel Grimes tell Elizabeth Grimes to shut up, when she was screaming? I dont have much sympathy for lawyers, because they lie and steal money or as they call it charge money, as a general rule of thumb.

The grimes should had more respect for the elderly man and tried to work out differences in a nice manner. As it happened, they poured fuel on the fire over the years and that act of discord backfired.

My heart goes out to the kenney girls and the grimes boy, the kids were hurt the most here.
Bill

Brooklyn, NY

#106 May 17, 2012
AzRancher wrote:
Just saw this story on NBC. I say good riddance to a couple of smelly, irritating, junk collecting hippies. From what I saw, the Grimes were the aggressors. It may have been passive aggression, but that deserves a response also. To those who sympathise, beware. Those you irritate and badger may be well armed.
Hi AZ Rancher, you're very clearly a moron who missed the point of the entire NBC special. You do realize Kenney was convicted of the murder right?! Or did you switch back to the Fox News and miss the rest of the episode? Your "To those who sympathise beware" comment is laughable at best, and it's obvious that it's jackass-wimps like you (And Kenney) who deserve jail just for being stupid. What kind of paranoid wimp carries around a gun in a suburban setting? And then decides to shoot his neighbors? It's a-holes like you that only help the anti-gun lobby in this country. Maybe you might feel more at home in another country? Go back to watching Faux News moron.
SantaCruzLocal

Los Angeles, CA

#107 Jul 9, 2012
Wow. What a mess. Totally tragic. I grew up around lots of people like the Grimes'. Just a couple laid back surf types who wanted peace and quiet atop their private drive. I grew up on one just like it in Soquel and my father always had problems with other owners on the private road. Thank God nothing like this, however. I completely agree with the jury except for the second degree finding for Mr. Grimes. Should've been first degree murder. Always trouble when the tourists decide to move to town.
stinky p

Mount Vernon, NY

#108 Jul 9, 2012
AzRancher wrote:
Just saw this story on NBC. I say good riddance to a couple of smelly, irritating, junk collecting hippies. From what I saw, the Grimes were the aggressors. It may have been passive aggression, but that deserves a response also. To those who sympathise, beware. Those you irritate and badger may be well armed.
they lived there first...if Mr Psycho didn't like it...move to the manicured lawns of England. You're a jerk.
Monterey12

Olympia, WA

#109 Aug 27, 2012
About 30 years ago, Mel defended me when I was 18 years old. I happened to be near some bad men and was scooped up by the police, me and the bad guys. The DA wants to prosecute me alongside the capers. Back then, I'm an innocent/naive fry cook making 6.25 bucks an hour. Mel saved me. He saved a life. I still owed him 250 dollars. His total bill was 750. I saved my money and about a year later, went into his office, laid the 250 on the table in front of him. He was totally impressed. He remembered me too. He never billed me for that 250. Looking back, the 750 was a pro bono price to begin with. I met him throughout my life twice more, and he is a kind, easy going, laid back man. Mel Grimes Jr., very successful, known for working hard and well known in Monterey for his respect towards everyone. Mel was esteemed on both sides of the courthouse isle. I'm grieved to hear Mel and his wife both lost their lives. Thank you (Mel) for your brief and generous impact on my life and undoubtedly, your impact on many others.
Marie

Calabasas, CA

#110 Sep 4, 2012
Phat Tam Pon wrote:
thank you for wanting to buy rock. my son put rock on ebay please bid
This can't even be a legit post... Some kid making a joke.
SoutheastNC

United States

#111 Sep 5, 2012
I didn't know any of these people. All I have ever learned was through media. But murder is murder. It was not self defense. That is plain and clear on the 911 call. Heartbreaking evidence of two peoples lives being taken. I have read some of these comments and I'm appalled. Hearsay and rumors and politics do not condone the actions of this man. They do not justify him pulling the trigger and taking the lives of two innocent people. I don't like a lot of people. Some are really irritating and have personalities that grind my nerves. I am a gun toting southern republican and I don't go around killing the people that piss me off. (had to throw in the ignorant political reference) this is what's wrong. This is why (here it comes again) the uber liberals are screaming gun control. Had Mel Grimes walked up to his neighbors front door with a sledge hammer and begun attacking him; protect your family and yourself. This was cruel and senseless and selfish. His family paid dearly and the Grimes family paid dearly. And to comment briefly on the persons post about Mel Grimes being a defense attorney and releasing guilty scum back out on the streets to hunt and pillage and what not; not everyone is guilty. And if I'm being accused of a crime I didn't commit, damn good defense attornys can get my rump out of serving time for something I am innocent of. Im not naive, I'm sure guilty people got off too. But that still is not justification or an excuse to be thankful a man is dead. I'm saddened by some of these comments. Disgusted by many of them and 5 years later, I guarantee you that both families are still in mourning.
Wayne

AOL

#112 Sep 5, 2012
Wait a second !!

The Grimes started it with the bridge deal. A bridge is an important and necessary structure. In addition to supporting both neighbors it has to be built to support heavy trucks and construction material. It's repair is of the utmost importance and not something to be done by some overaged hippie defense attorney. Grimes should have chipped in for the repair like a good neighbor. As a defense attorney I'm sure he ripped off the system for years.

There may be more to the story regarding Grimes.

Yes they shouldn't have gotten killed and the boulder thing was crazy.
deb

Durham, NC

#113 Nov 11, 2013
I was watching this case on Dateline and you could hear the whole interaction over the phone with the 911 operation - it was just an open line. Mr. Kenny went back into the house to get the gun and although Mrs. Kenny called him an ass (which he was to put a boulder in the way just to be a jerk) that is not enough to warrant getting a gun and shooting them.
And she was shot in the back!
Monterey Bay

Sacramento, CA

#114 May 2, 2015
Terrible Neighbors wrote:
All of the facts are out now. I've reviewed the case, researched online and like most watched the Dateline show. This is my opinion.
First I want to point out that murder is not ok. I am not sticking up for murder at all.
With that said I feel the Grimes were terrible neighbors to have to deal with. Dumping trash all over (seen the photos and video proof), allowing dogs to run loose, slamming a 72 year old man's head while he was still inside his car for taking a photo. It sounds like the old man went through hell with sloppy, rude and violent people and went over the edge. Also, a lot of very bad things have come out about these two in other aspects of their lives. They were not the greatest people.
It's horrific that the police didn't show up as Kenney requested. He knew they were going to do something to him and for the better of everyone they should have been there. He wouldn't request the police if he planned to kill them.
It's hard to have all the sympathy in the world for two people who were so disrespectful and trashy but again murder is not ok. So of course he has to pay for it which I don't disagree with.
It's just a sad situation all around.
The Grimes Family caused nothing but problems with this Elderly Man. Not only did they create problems for this very kind old Man but for their other Neighbors also.
Dumping Garbage in their Neighbors Properties letting their Dog Crapy in the Neighbors Properties etc.
As far as I see it Mr. Grimes got what was coming to him by getting killed. He Mr. Grimes was a Hot Head and disgusting Neighbor. His Son who expects Sympathy for his Father's death is No better.
Monterey Bay

Sacramento, CA

#115 May 2, 2015
Colleen wrote:
July 20, 2010
I have nevered been so angered watching a tv show as I was watching this story. The blatent bull shit this old man was spewing about how scared he was made me very angry. Age does not give you the right to act the way he did. If anything, as we age, we should learn to not let the little things in life become so overwhelming. He just could not stand the fact that these people (who lived there for 17 years) did not fit into his idea of what and how they should behave as his neighbors. As I stated in the above comment, he could have easily moved if he was so scared. But instead he chose to torment them by hurting their animals, blocking an easement, which legally neither party owned, spying on them, and in general, just being a nosey bastard. I agree with another writer, why didn't he just go live his his wonderful wife and kids? Probably because they didn't want him around.
I pray God will judge you harshly Mr. Kenney for your stupidity. Was it really worth it? It would have been so much easier to move...
Colleen,
You have no idea how horrible the Grimes Couple acted. They had no regard to dumping Garbage on other Neighbors Properties or allowing their Dog to run free and Poop in other Neighbors Yards.
Mr. Grimes was a Hot Head and not a nice Person.
Good Ridden to them both getting killed!
Tahoedirt

Gardnerville, NV

#116 May 2, 2015
I'm not an attorney, but if someone has been using a small portion of your land, as in this case, don't they either become owners or be allowed to continue to use the same land ?? I've heard this called either "adverse possession" or "prescriptive rights". I'd enjoy hearing a legal opinion on this.

I had a similar problem with a neighbor and gathered up other neighbors to help sort it out- It worked and they dismissed their claim to my land while in escrow to sell.
Tahoedirt

Gardnerville, NV

#117 May 2, 2015
Colleen wrote:
July 20, 2010
I could not agree more- Especially in this case. Here was a sliver of land he couldn't even see, use or had any purpose for- And he killed for it- Pathetic !!
Tahoedirt

Gardnerville, NV

#118 May 2, 2015
Monterey Bay wrote:
<quoted text>
Colleen,
You have no idea how horrible the Grimes Couple acted. They had no regard to dumping Garbage on other Neighbors Properties or allowing their Dog to run free and Poop in other Neighbors Yards.
Mr. Grimes was a Hot Head and not a nice Person.
Good Ridden to them both getting killed!
So what- They were free spirits living the country. I'll bet they didn't consider their possessions garbage and if they let their dogs run, what did that hurt. They were there first- Why did Kinney buy the property next door if he didn't like what he saw ??
Mark

Bronx, NY

#119 May 25, 2015
Tahoedirt wrote:
I'm not an attorney, but if someone has been using a small portion of your land, as in this case, don't they either become owners or be allowed to continue to use the same land ?? I've heard this called either "adverse possession" or "prescriptive rights". I'd enjoy hearing a legal opinion on this.
I had a similar problem with a neighbor and gathered up other neighbors to help sort it out- It worked and they dismissed their claim to my land while in escrow to sell.
No you don't own that property. It's still the home owners and if you fight to try to claim it, then you are in even bigger trouble with the State and Federal government because you are claiming a piece of property you never paid taxes on for how ever many years you've been using it, while your neighbor was the one making the payments on it since it was technically their property. Similar case happened to a family member.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carmel Valley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Firms say store draws prostitution (Aug '06) Tue Chavo del Eight 17
Is dr Carl Bergstrom out of prison Oct 11 Sharon 2
Lost Blue Beach Bag at Carmel beach by 13th Ave Oct 9 mirandajeanbean 1
News Body found in Carmel Valley (Dec '08) Sep '17 linda burleson 6
News Ask the Auto Doctor (Mar '06) Sep '17 Tberruiser 1,555
Lost wedding ring on Carmel beach Sep '17 Rey 1
who is the best hung man in Carmel Jul '17 Joe 4

Carmel Valley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance