Quotes from the Holy Quran
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
floored

Indianapolis, IN

#41 Dec 6, 2012
Linda Bledsoe wrote:
You know something, you are right. I shouldn't have called you a troll and I certainly understand your opinions. My rebuttal was of a semantic nature more than anything else and it is not that important. For the record, I am not a Christian. ;)
oh my God, hell just froze over, did you just tell someone they were right? hope stalin and hitler are having a snowball fight
Linda Bledsoe

Pittsburgh, PA

#42 Dec 6, 2012
floored wrote:
<quoted text>oh my God, hell just froze over, did you just tell someone they were right? hope stalin and hitler are having a snowball fight
He was right. I am certainly not above admitting when I make a mistake. I do think that person misunderstands the true application of agnosticism vs. atheism vs. theism, but the points were valid and I was arguing semantics, which is sometimes fun but rarely a strong position. I crossed the line when I accused him of trolling. ;)
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#43 Dec 6, 2012
I was going to discuss the statement made by Blue collar, Reasearch has actually shown the more intelligent/educated a person is, the more likely they are to be an atheist but at the last moment i noticed the word likely, a modifier. I was going to bring up Augustine. At what point of education would Augustine reach atheism. On the contrary, he was very educated and intelligent but remained nonathiest. But Blue collar inserted the word likely, a modifier, meaning not necessarily or not one hundred percently, likely meaning not necessarily. the word inserts the possibility an intelligent/educated person might believe in God or a god.

“Alley Cat Blues”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#44 Dec 6, 2012
Linda Bledsoe wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are confusing atheist with agnostic. There is a big difference. Still, I understand your opinion on the topic.
Atheism is still a form of faith, and by your logic the education and credentials don't support any kind of faith. That is why I think you are talking about agnostics, which is absolute lack of faith.
You have it backwards.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#45 Dec 6, 2012
Linda Bledsoe wrote:
You know something, you are right. I shouldn't have called you a troll and I certainly understand your opinions. My rebuttal was of a semantic nature more than anything else and it is not that important. For the record, I am not a Christian. ;)
Wow...wasn't expecting that. Score one point for civilized discussion. Thanks!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#46 Dec 6, 2012
dunadd wrote:
I was going to discuss the statement made by Blue collar, Reasearch has actually shown the more intelligent/educated a person is, the more likely they are to be an atheist but at the last moment i noticed the word likely, a modifier. I was going to bring up Augustine. At what point of education would Augustine reach atheism. On the contrary, he was very educated and intelligent but remained nonathiest. But Blue collar inserted the word likely, a modifier, meaning not necessarily or not one hundred percently, likely meaning not necessarily. the word inserts the possibility an intelligent/educated person might believe in God or a god.
I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. I am NOT saying that a more educated individual is more likely to be atheist as opposed to being a believer in a god. Even among the highly educated, more are believers than are atheists. The only group where atheists outnumber theists is among those with PhDs in physics, chemistry, and biology. What I am saying is that if you had three people, one with a high school education, one with a bachelors, and one with a PhD, all three of them are more likely to be believers than atheist, however, if one of them were to be an atheist, the best bet would be the PhD.

Field of study matters as well. Obviously a PhD in theology would throw a wrench in it all, whereas chemistry and physics degree holders are more skewed towards atheism than any other fields.
Linda Bledsoe

Cincinnati, OH

#47 Dec 7, 2012
Jupiter wrote:
<quoted text>
You have it backwards.
Nope, but thanks for your significant contribution to the topic at hand. ;)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carmel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
All Blacks and Whites please read! 3 hr All lives matter 2
News 13 Investigates: Union workers and teachers pro... 8 hr 1BIGObamination 1
Spiro Agnew (Nov '14) 8 hr 1BIGObamination 9
punishment (Jul '15) Wed WHAT 8
melinda zell Wed me 1
Dancers showclub (Mar '13) Jul 24 Fool isnt the word 19
Poll Which Indiana city/town should claim Tony Stewart? (Feb '08) Jul 24 Boy from Homer 40

Carmel Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carmel Mortgages