FAA investigates Union County plane crash | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Officials from the Federal Aviation Administration arrived in Union County mid-morning to begin sifting through what's left of a fixed-wing, single-engine that went down Friday night, killing two people.
Comments
21 - 30 of 30 Comments Last updated Jan 23, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
A family friend

Eugene, OR

#22 Mar 22, 2010
Not one person said that Art was a "perfect" man, but that he was a great man. There's obviously some hostility that you hold toward him even after his death that makes you believe you will feel better by saying hateful things toward his family, and about him. The legal issues will run their course. You're airing dirtly laundry which only means your own will soon be aired too when the family comes to its defense. I can tell you for a fact - because he told me - that married or not, Art still loved Sherry dearly, and like it or not, Shannon, as his daughter, is his next of kin and Sherry the executor of the will. Those facts cannot be disputed. To say that he would be appalled by her behavior is nothing but ridiculous. What type of personal gain comes from lying to the coronor and the funeral director? His ashes? No one will be able to move on until this petty playground behavior comes to a screeching hault - that is what Art would want and he'd want it now.

"The crash was pilot error. This is documented in the NTSB preliminary report." is a false statement. Here is the preliminary report and the link for anyone who tries to dispute it:

"NTSB Identification: CEN10FA141
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Friday, March 05, 2010 in Marysville, OH
Aircraft: Evektor-Aerotechnik AS Sportstar Plus, registration: N930LA
Injuries: 2 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On March 5, 2010, at 0856 eastern standard time, a special light sport Evektor-Aerotechnik AS Sportstar Plus, N930LA, impacted terrain near Marysville, Ohio. Instrument conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The 14 CFR Part 91 flight was not operating on a flight plan. The sport pilot and one passenger were fatally injured. The flight originated from Greenwood Municipal Airport, Indianapolis, Indiana, at 0716 and was en route to New Castle Municipal Airport, New Castle, Pennsylvania."

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp...
Say the Truth

Caldwell, NJ

#23 Mar 22, 2010
A family friend wrote:
Not one person said that Art was a "perfect" man, but that he was a great man. There's obviously some hostility that you hold toward him even after his death that makes you believe you will feel better by saying hateful things toward his family, and about him. The legal issues will run their course. You're airing dirtly laundry which only means your own will soon be aired too when the family comes to its defense. I can tell you for a fact - because he told me - that married or not, Art still loved Sherry dearly, and like it or not, Shannon, as his daughter, is his next of kin and Sherry the executor of the will. Those facts cannot be disputed. To say that he would be appalled by her behavior is nothing but ridiculous. What type of personal gain comes from lying to the coronor and the funeral director? His ashes? No one will be able to move on until this petty playground behavior comes to a screeching hault - that is what Art would want and he'd want it now.
"The crash was pilot error. This is documented in the NTSB preliminary report." is a false statement. Here is the preliminary report and the link for anyone who tries to dispute it:
"NTSB Identification: CEN10FA141
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Friday, March 05, 2010 in Marysville, OH
Aircraft: Evektor-Aerotechnik AS Sportstar Plus, registration: N930LA
Injuries: 2 Fatal.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.
On March 5, 2010, at 0856 eastern standard time, a special light sport Evektor-Aerotechnik AS Sportstar Plus, N930LA, impacted terrain near Marysville, Ohio. Instrument conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The 14 CFR Part 91 flight was not operating on a flight plan. The sport pilot and one passenger were fatally injured. The flight originated from Greenwood Municipal Airport, Indianapolis, Indiana, at 0716 and was en route to New Castle Municipal Airport, New Castle, Pennsylvania."
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp...
FYI-- "The 14 CFR Part 91 flight was not operating on a flight plan." is immaterial.

This IS: "Instrument conditions prevailed at the time of the accident"
Mr Potters Admirer

United States

#24 Mar 23, 2010
I am just amazed that people are acting like this during such a rough time in EVERYONE'S lives. How many of us are perfect? How many of us are always completely happy? Obviously the nasty comments made above are just that.. nasty comments from nasty people. Mr. Potter DID do great things. He was an extremely successful businessman, hard worker, and a giver. He was very adamant about his Heart Conscious Group with Dr. Adkins and wanted to help people. He helped many children at the YMCA and was very dedicated about it. He was always trying to help people. If you had a attended his funeral, you would have seen from what everyone said that these were the acts of a GREAT Person. This is disgusting and deplorable how some of you are acting, and obvious by your actions that you didn't care about him. I did, and I am very saddened at his passing, and wish very much for his family and friends to once again find peace from such a tragic loss.
Confused

Indianapolis, IN

#25 Mar 24, 2010
Lois wrote:
Sherry Potter was NOT the current wife of Arthur Potter. She was not Mrs. Arthur Potter she was the ex-wife. She and her daughter lied to the coroner for personal gain. They lied to the funeral director. Fortunately, the coroner and funeral director were finally given the correct information regarding legal next of kin and it wasn't his ex-wife nor his daughter. Their ignorance and evil behavior will never be forgotten. It's a shame she can't follow her own advice and let two men die with the dignity they deserved. Arthur Potter was not a great man as she quotes. He was a good man with many faults as is everyone. The crash was pilot error. This is documented in the NTSB preliminary report.
<quoted text>
Lois, I would like to talk to you. Please email me at clsanbo@yahoo.com
Robin

Omaha, NE

#26 Mar 27, 2010
I would first like to say that the behavior shown here by Deborah’s family is deplorable and disgusting. This was a tragedy where two wonderful men lost their lives in an accident. Pilot error, not pilot error… Bottom line is it doesn’t bring either of them back. Art was my uncle and he did amazing things for his family and for the community. Regardless of any “faults” he may have had, it didn’t take away from the fact that he loved his family and his community, and supported them at any cost. I have amazing memories of my uncle… Family vacations, long talks on the phone, endearing embraces, witty antics, silly jokes, and so much more. I will miss him dearly just as he will be missed by so many others…
My Aunt Sherry was Art’s wife for 30 years… and in his heart she was still his wife. Since Deborah’s family feels the need to falsely air their bitterness & vindictiveness, I shall tactfully set them straight. While My Uncle may have still been legally married to Deborah, His heart belonged to Sherry… this I know to be factual because it came from his mouth to both of my folks. He told our family on MORE then one occasion how Marrying Deborah was the biggest mistake of his life… Which is why he moved out after only being married to her for 2 months… In his words… and I quote him “, I made a mistake marrying her”. Unfortunately at the time he passed away he was still legally married to Deborah, however not because he loved her. My family believed her to have less then pure intensions and was aware my uncle had plans of remarrying my Aunt, after he rectified this mistake… Again he vocalized them to my family many times.
His daughter,(my cousin) Shannon did an amazing job of planning and executing a funeral that my uncle would have been proud of. The people that meant the most to him… were there to mourn the loss of a great man and honor his memory. Bill’s family and Shannons family, and his brothers and their families, and people from different organizations that he helped… and people whose lives he touched in some way… and his grandchildren…. And his closest friends… All of them there to honor the memory of some who did so much for others… and a person who the loved very much.
The only people who exhibited deplorable behavior were those associated with Deborah’s Family…Who might I add made herself look like a fool in front of all of his family and friends with her extremely inappropriate behavior, and spectacle-like speech at his funeral. There was a huge gathering for family & friends, after the funeral, held by business associates, that Deborah & her family were not invited to. Many people commented on how bizarre and disrespectful Deborah & her daughter had been. My uncle Bob, who is a minister, officiated at his funeral. He did an outstanding job and my uncle Art would have been so proud of him. My mom and dad, and aunt Linda & uncle Bob sat with Sherry, Bill, Shannon, and their children and significant others… Because they are our TRUE family… It was very obvious that our family is close, as we all leaned on each other to get through this. Myself and my brother & sister who could not be at the funeral because of college and work reasons… were there in spirit… and mourned the loss of our uncle from afar.
My uncle’s memory will live on throughout Sherry, Shannon, Bill, and his other family and friends. I know his memory will live on within me. I will never forget all of the great times I spent with him and the funny things he would say and do. This truly is a very sad and unfortunate loss. My condolences to both families.
Mary

Greensburg, IN

#27 May 6, 2010
First of all, I am not Deborah's family. Second of all Mr. Potter loved her as well as Sherry and Shannon. Mr. Potter would not leave her alone. I have known Deborah nearly all my life and can tell you that her intentions in his life and in his death have always been honorable. I am choosing to not air dirty laundry here as I could easily do so, but the character assassination of Deborah and her daughter are unfair and untrue. Deborah is his next of kin as his legal wife. Mr. Potter chose time and time again to pursue this relationship with Deborah. He had contact with his wife frequently of his own wishes until the time of his death. He told her the night before the accident that he was flying, with whom he was flying, and to where he was flying. He may have told you what you wanted to hear, but I will tell you there is another side to this story. I knew Mr. Potter because of Deborah and know that he would say similar things about his ex-wife (shouldn't have married her, etc.) that in time I came to realize where what he wanted us to believe.

Mr. Potter will not be able to rest in peace until those who have acted to deny parts of his life address their misbehavior. Not inviting his wife and her family to a service and bragging about it is exactly the type of behavior which denies a part of his life. Demonizing his wife is another part of this behavior which will do nothing to further the process of healing.

Life is like an echo--whatever you send out comes back to you.

This is no exception. If you want peace, make peace.
Mary

Greensburg, IN

#28 May 9, 2010
Say the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the FAA database Mr Potter held a "Sport License" which doesn't permit flight in instrument conditions and has other restrictions.
Approximately half of the 600,000 certificated pilots on this country are instrument rated, so your "very few" statement is incorrect.
The majority of those who are instrument rated are not private pilots. Only about 21% of private pilots are ifr certified. And sport pilots, recreational pilots, and student pilots are not eligible for such a rating.

So while technically correct, I meant private pilots not commercial pilots et al.

Disraeli was quoted by Mark Twain as saying "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
Karen

Bloomington, IN

#29 Jun 23, 2010
Rest in peace, Art. He was a friend of mine for about 6 years. He was a wonderful man in my opinion. He had a way of making me feel good about myself. I am sad and ashamed that I didn't know about his death until recently. We should all treat our loved ones and friends as if it's the last time we'll see them, because it just may be.
kty12

United States

#31 Aug 2, 2012
Turns out ntsb report says pilot error. He had all kinds of drugs in his system. He also wasn't the wonderful man everyone thought. He was a liar, a cheat & died because of his arrogance. I feel ssorry for his business partner Frank & his family.
finally

Batesville, IN

#33 Jan 23, 2014
Kty12 ,
Sadly, you are correct. He left a path of destruction that many continue to deal with on a daily basis and will do so for years to come. The Granatos were the innocent victims in this senseless tragedy along with many others.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carmel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fast food strikes return amid push for wage hikes (Dec '13) 17 min swedenforever 25
BUYERS BEWARE - Junk John Deere Lawn tractors a... (Sep '11) 5 hr jeppy 104
Search intensifies for missing Indianapolis baby 7 hr King George 3
Thanks, racist lady! (No, seriously!) 14 hr Skeptic 3
Why do most Blacks hate Whites? (Jul '13) 15 hr Georgie 252
Larue Carter right to work fired 50 good staff 17 hr bigdog 7
The truth about homicide in Indy (Jan '14) 17 hr Starlett Miller 200
•••
•••
•••

Carmel Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000