FAA investigates Union County plane crash | The Columbus Dispatch

Officials from the Federal Aviation Administration arrived in Union County mid-morning to begin sifting through what's left of a fixed-wing, single-engine that went down Friday night, killing two people. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Marysville Triangle

Springboro, OH

#1 Mar 6, 2010
Marysville is becoming the Bermuda Triangle. This is the 3rd or 4th fatal plan crash there in the past 2-3 years.
Ghost Hunter

United States

#2 Mar 6, 2010
I feel sorry for those guys...If that aircraft ran out of gas though, that is just poor cockpit management and planning on the pilot's part since there we no concerns over bad weather.
joe

Columbus, OH

#3 Mar 6, 2010
Hmmmm... Looks to me like it says they used cell phone signals from one of the passengers to locate the plane. can find any mention of a "Black Box" except in the comments...
Matt

Galloway, OH

#4 Mar 6, 2010
The beacon locator referred to is an Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT), which would be the signal the the Civil Air Patrol (CAP) members used to locate the wreck. The cell phone signals would have provided corroboration, but the ELT signal is primary.

Small airplanes are not normally equipped with the "black boxes" - which are actually orange - that are found on transport-category aircraft.

BTW, good job CAP! Too bad the outcome wasn't better, but a great job on responding quickly and finding the crash site.
Chas Lindburgh

Zephyrhills, FL

#5 Mar 6, 2010
Thanks for the patient, accurate explanation, Matt.
Get Real

Swanton, OH

#7 Mar 6, 2010
joe wrote:
Hmmmm... Looks to me like it says they used cell phone signals from one of the passengers to locate the plane. can find any mention of a "Black Box" except in the comments...
The (incorrect) use of a 'black box' was mentioned in an earlier story. An error on the part of the reporter that was corrected in this story.
pianotech

Mckees Rocks, PA

#8 Mar 7, 2010
The passenger was my cousin, unfortunately.
Helena Handbasket

Carlsbad, CA

#9 Mar 7, 2010
Don't these planes have fuel gauges? Don't pilots make sure there's enough fuel before taking off? They hadn't gone very far, after all. Of all the reasons for crashing, if they died because they ran out of gas it is somewhat ridiculous. Why couldn't he glide the plane down? Perhaps there's more to this story. I guess we will know more after the investigators are through.
Seriously

Lima, OH

#10 Mar 7, 2010
First off, I would like to say that Uncle Frank was an amazing man and very good businessman. I really would like to know what importance/necessity knowing what type of business associates they were and why that is the only comment you have to this article (Linda).
There is more to the story that isn't being reported. Although I refuse to disclose those details, there was absolutely no way he could have landed the plane safely, don't you think the pilot would have done that if he could have? I trust that the man my Uncle would call a friend did the best he could to try and make sure everything ended safely.
There really is no need to question his piloting knowledge either. The crash most likely was a result of something wrong with the plane that he didn't know about, otherwise he would not have piloted it under any circumstances.
Sherry Potter

Fishers, IN

#11 Mar 10, 2010
Helena Handbasket wrote:
Don't these planes have fuel gauges? Don't pilots make sure there's enough fuel before taking off? They hadn't gone very far, after all. Of all the reasons for crashing, if they died because they ran out of gas it is somewhat ridiculous. Why couldn't he glide the plane down? Perhaps there's more to this story. I guess we will know more after the investigators are through.
Helen, Thank You for saying the things that you said and there is more to the story then we will ever be let out to the public. This man ,Arthur Potter the pilot was my hushand for thirty years. He would check his plane twice befor take off to be sure the everything was in working order. He was an excellent pilot, my daughter and myself have both flown with him and never was afraid of flying with him.
Sherry Potter

Fishers, IN

#12 Mar 10, 2010
My husband (Arthur Poter the pilot) for thiry years was flying that aircraft. He was doing his friend Frank Granato a faver by flying him to see his family in Pa. Thay had been friends for atleast 25yrs. Please let these men rest in peace and let us the families of them time to heal. We all have plans in our lives and they did not include dying. Just pray for the families that have to go through funerals of the 2 people they loved most of there lives
Remember that you could die crossing the street just as easy and would it be your fault ,i don't think so.

Mrs Arthur Potter
Sherry Potter

Fishers, IN

#13 Mar 10, 2010
Seriously wrote:
First off, I would like to say that Uncle Frank was an amazing man and very good businessman. I really would like to know what importance/necessity knowing what type of business associates they were and why that is the only comment you have to this article (Linda).
There is more to the story that isn't being reported. Although I refuse to disclose those details, there was absolutely no way he could have landed the plane safely, don't you think the pilot would have done that if he could have? I trust that the man my Uncle would call a friend did the best he could to try and make sure everything ended safely.
There really is no need to question his piloting knowledge either. The crash most likely was a result of something wrong with the plane that he didn't know about, otherwise he would not have piloted it under any circumstances.
I was the wife of that pilot. Frank Granado and Arthur Potter were the best of friends for as long as I can remember.Thank You for sticking up for them. I am pretty tired of hearin pilot error.
We do not know that. They were both great men and were well liked in the community.Art would check that plane frome head to foot , before ever taking off from the airport to be sure everthing was in working order.
Mrs. Arthur Potter
Clare - UK

Peterborough, UK

#14 Mar 10, 2010
RIP Frank and Arthur. What a terrible tragedy and accident!! I worked with Frank for many years in the UK and he was a truly great Mentor and Friend!
I want to send all my thoughts and prayers to both families x x x
Lois

Greenwood, IN

#15 Mar 13, 2010
Sherry Potter was NOT the current wife of Arthur Potter. She was not Mrs. Arthur Potter she was the ex-wife. She and her daughter lied to the coroner for personal gain. They lied to the funeral director. Fortunately, the coroner and funeral director were finally given the correct information regarding legal next of kin and it wasn't his ex-wife nor his daughter. Their ignorance and evil behavior will never be forgotten. It's a shame she can't follow her own advice and let two men die with the dignity they deserved. Arthur Potter was not a great man as she quotes. He was a good man with many faults as is everyone. The crash was pilot error. This is documented in the NTSB preliminary report.
Sherry Potter wrote:
<quoted text>
I was the wife of that pilot. Frank Granado and Arthur Potter were the best of friends for as long as I can remember.Thank You for sticking up for them. I am pretty tired of hearin pilot error.
We do not know that. They were both great men and were well liked in the community.Art would check that plane frome head to foot , before ever taking off from the airport to be sure everthing was in working order.
Mrs. Arthur Potter
Mary

Greensburg, IN

#16 Mar 14, 2010
Art was married to Deborah Potter. Art would be appauled at the way his daughter and family has treated her thru this horrible ordeal. And Mr. Potter was not an experienced pilot. He only has his licence for a relatively short time--less than 2 years. According to the NTSB he was flying in instrument situation (probably meaning ground fog--as there was snow on the ground at the crash site) and he wasn't experienced enough to know to get the heck out of that. Very few pilots are instrument rated and even those with an instrument rating would often get the heck out of those conditions. I wish this family peace, but know that humans make mistakes and this was one of those times.
Lois wrote:
Sherry Potter was NOT the current wife of Arthur Potter. She was not Mrs. Arthur Potter she was the ex-wife. She and her daughter lied to the coroner for personal gain. They lied to the funeral director. Fortunately, the coroner and funeral director were finally given the correct information regarding legal next of kin and it wasn't his ex-wife nor his daughter. Their ignorance and evil behavior will never be forgotten. It's a shame she can't follow her own advice and let two men die with the dignity they deserved. Arthur Potter was not a great man as she quotes. He was a good man with many faults as is everyone. The crash was pilot error. This is documented in the NTSB preliminary report.
<quoted text>
Say the Truth

West Chester, PA

#17 Mar 17, 2010
Mary wrote:
Art was married to Deborah Potter. Art would be appauled at the way his daughter and family has treated her thru this horrible ordeal. And Mr. Potter was not an experienced pilot. He only has his licence for a relatively short time--less than 2 years. According to the NTSB he was flying in instrument situation (probably meaning ground fog--as there was snow on the ground at the crash site) and he wasn't experienced enough to know to get the heck out of that. Very few pilots are instrument rated and even those with an instrument rating would often get the heck out of those conditions. I wish this family peace, but know that humans make mistakes and this was one of those times.
<quoted text>
According to the FAA database Mr Potter held a "Sport License" which doesn't permit flight in instrument conditions and has other restrictions.

Approximately half of the 600,000 certificated pilots on this country are instrument rated, so your "very few" statement is incorrect.
Bill

Manhattan, IL

#18 Mar 17, 2010
ARE YOU SERIOUS?! Does hate really need to be spread during this time of grief? I really hope you are given the same treatment. The truth is known by the parties involved. As well as the coroner and the courts. THEY can not be lied to, LEGAL process must be followed.
Lois

Greenwood, IN

#19 Mar 19, 2010
Bill - The coroner and funeral director were initially lied to but fortunately the correct information was received so that they could do legal process. You are correct though; the truth is known by the parties involved. Just not the parties you imply.
Bill wrote:
ARE YOU SERIOUS?! Does hate really need to be spread during this time of grief? I really hope you are given the same treatment. The truth is known by the parties involved. As well as the coroner and the courts. THEY can not be lied to, LEGAL process must be followed.
Seriously

Youngstown, OH

#20 Mar 19, 2010
Please just let all this b.s. go. My family would appreciate it greatly. It is not important, all these minor details. They're both gone and will be loved and remembered forever. RIP <3
Bill

United States

#21 Mar 22, 2010
You must have thought I was supporting you. The lies and hate that you are trying to spread will come back on you. Let them rest now!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carmel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Flu worries prompt more Indiana hospitals limits 9 min fgufk 1
John root 56 min Pecker Head 1
Sears adds Indiana to closing list (Dec '11) 7 hr Linda Bedsore 10
Vote to outlaw whittieeee Christmas 7 hr Alonzo X 8
When Did Indy Become So Racist and Why? 10 hr Alonzo x 56
any strippers want to Skype? 11 hr Linda Bedsore 3
Landlord registration in Indianapolis: Section ... 15 hr GetOutOfIndyNow 6
Carmel Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Carmel People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Carmel News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Carmel

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:50 pm PST

NBC Sports 3:50PM
Bengals heading back into withering spotlight - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 6:32 PM
Week 16 skill-position injury report — Thursday
Bleacher Report 7:22 PM
Denver Broncos vs. Cincinnati Bengals: Complete Week 16 Preview for Denver
Bleacher Report 1:38 AM
Cowboys' Week 16 Preview vs. Colts
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Why Do the Colts Still Insist on Feeding Trent Richardson?