velogeezer

Greenwood, IN

#24 Apr 21, 2013
BMIGuy wrote:
Am I predisposed to like chicken and watermelon too. The biggest problem is education and a real access to it. If you think the schools in inner city are the same, better take a look see.
The biggest problem is jungle genes.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#25 Apr 22, 2013
Jungle genes would explain how white women get jungle fever.
Jack

Indianapolis, IN

#26 Apr 22, 2013
BMIGuy wrote:
I raised two kids and they went to public schools. After graduating high school, both had to go to a junior college to catch up to the level of kids that were comming out of the burbs high schools. The kids, white and black, that go to public schools, are far behind those in the burbs. Go check some stats on that. I know a white girl that transferred from Fortville to Warren high school. She was so far ahead of all of her classes she is at least two years ahead of the other kids. Linda, your statement in it's self is a cop out and one standardized test for all students would prove my point. The family unit can only do its part, the rest is up to the system.
Unfortunately, what started out as a potentially productive and open discussion on race, has devolved into the typical, unproductive racist rants from both sides.
While I can understand your frustrations with the quality of urban schools, your short shrifting of the role that the family life plays in whether a school is top performing or under performing is short sighted. To be honest, I don’t know what the difference in per pupil spending is between Warren and the Suburban districts, but in all honesty, there really isn’t a great correlation between per pupil spending and academic performance. Per pupil spending in South Korea and Singapore are about half of what we spend in the US, yet their academic performance far exceeds the US.
As a parent with a child in a suburban school, the expectation of the vast majority of parents is that their kid will go to college, or at the least learn a skilled trade. Parents are involved in their kid’s schools. Parent-Teacher conferences and open houses are well attended, and there is ongoing communication between parents and teachers throughout the school year. There is a level of expectation of performance in the school, and this carries over to the students who for the most part, strive to achieve. That is not to say that the suburban schools are not without problems. They deal with many of the same problems that face the inner city schools, but the problems have not reached a critical mass, where apathy and indifference rule. Can you say that there is the same level of involvement in urban schools?
Why is it that academic performance in magnet schools that serve predominantly black communities perform at levels consistent with white suburban schools? Because the parents who send their kids there are like yourself, and involved in their kids school life and constantly reinforce expectations in their kids. The kids are surrounded by other students of similar ambitions. In short, they are in an environment that fosters the desire to learn and excel.
I think your last statement:“The family unit can only do its part, the rest is up to the system.”, is telling. According to the latest national statistics, 70% of AA births are to unwed mothers compared to 25% for the white population (Indiana statistics are similar). In short, the minority family unit has been decimated, which would explain why you expect more from the “system”, ironically, the same system who’s well intentioned, but poorly executed programs have caused much of the problems. You are placing too much hope on a faceless, nameless “system” to provide for your basic needs.
I won’t lie, I don’t have all the answers, I’m not sure I have any of the answers, but I do have a few ideas. Which is, any sustained improvements in the minority community has to begin at the personal level. Once you recognize that the biggest hurdle to advancement lies between your own ears, then you will see the results.
Linda Bledsoe

Pittsburgh, PA

#27 Apr 22, 2013
BMIGuy wrote:
<quoted text>I have never been chrged or convicted for any crime.With my limited intelligence I face my fears and I am not affraid to fail. Can you say that? I make no excuses for the examples I have left out there. So quick to judge is a facist and that you will be accoutable for. I don't look at at white folk as your people. I am the example of love and respect to the people I call friends and family. You do not have to be blood, black or white to be in my family. You can not lose your faith in man kind no matter how they frightened you are.
What are you even talking about? You were complaining about the negro schooling problems and when pointed out that the home base of education is the home/family unit, you start rambling off nonsense. You think the schools and government are responsible for your kids. You are simply wrong. It is not the government's job to make sure your kids or any other kids get an education. It is their job to make schools available and staff them with teachers, which they do. Grow up and act like an adult. Raise your own kids and stop trying to blame your failures on external entities.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#28 Apr 22, 2013
Jack, I have to agree with many of your points. Kids that are a bad influence come from broken homes most of the time. There are alot of broken homes inner ciy. The class rooms are affected and the result is very little control. If a child disrupts the class, he should be removed.It's all about the standards, that is what I don't see as the same.

Linda, or should I say Ester,,, go shave that mustache off and that hair growing out of your ears. It's not 1962 anymore, you got to let it go girl. You love belching that crap at me like you cought me in bed with your daughter.LOL

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#30 Apr 29, 2013
I'd dare say that if whites were somehow historically switched with blacks then we would be having the opposite discussion. I have never heard that blacks are inferior intellectually but if there is, in fact, legitimate studies on this that confirm it I would assume it is because we (whites) have traditionally excluded the black race from our better schools simply by doing what we have always done, put them in neighborhoods none of us would want to live in. That by no means indicates that black people do not have the same capacity to learn, we just screwed them out of educations, and that is shameful. Same thing with the Native American population.

More Violent? Well maybe blacks are caught up in more violence when you look at the ratio to white people, but again, I would be very angry and possibly violent too if I had been treated as second class my whole life, kept poor, systematically prevented from succeeding, or had to listen to the words many of you have written in this thread. If you're simply quoting incarceration or arrest numbers that is faulty logic because there is proof that we lock blacks up at a much higher ratio compared to whites and for reasons and crimes that we would not arrest a white person over. Again, consider spending your life in the communities you are afraid to even enter and let me know how it changes you and what you might be wiling to do to escape it. Most work hard, go to school and try to get away, but many don't even have these options.

You know one thing about blacks that is absolutely true and not a stereotype? They are closer as families. Same for Mexicans and many others who are left out in the cold while we chase high dollar jobs, they are spending more time with their loved ones, spiritually engaged and culturally aware. We have lost that in our chase for the almighty dollar and paying mortgages and car payments that we cannot afford and that imprison us just the same as we do to our black brothers and sisters, we are just too dumb to realize it because our stuff is new and shiny. Maybe the joke's on us.

Discussing race on he internet is like training fish to mow the lawn, pointless, so this will be my only post on the matter.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#31 Apr 30, 2013
Well put IndyNews
ghetto hood rat

United States

#32 May 1, 2013
Down wit whitey!!!!!
White Flight

Matthews, IN

#33 May 1, 2013
White people and biggie sized diet soda drinks.

White people and obesity and lite beer.
White Flight

Matthews, IN

#34 May 1, 2013
White people and fireworks.

“Jesus is Lord”

Since: Aug 11

Greenwood, Indiana

#35 May 1, 2013
What Would Jesus Do??
I Know

Matthews, IN

#36 May 1, 2013
ThePreacherman01 wrote:
What Would Jesus Do??
He'd throw down and break dance in the middle of a shopping mall just to annoy the white people in attendance. Then he'd start playing rumble car with the kiosks. Breaking boatloads of merchandise during the melee.

That's what Jesus would do!
Linda Bledsoe

Pittsburgh, PA

#37 May 2, 2013
IndyNews wrote:
You know one thing about blacks that is absolutely true and not a stereotype? They are closer as families.
Do you say that because 67% of black children are from single-parent households? 25% of white children are from single-parent households. Your statement is wrong.

http://datacenter.kidscount.org/data/acrossst...

A family, at it's core, is a mother, a father, and their children. The statistics do not support what you are saying, so you are either making stuff up or you lack the intelligence to understand what constitutes a family.

The blacks and mexicans will often pool financial resources among extended family (cousins, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.), but I don't know that it makes the true family unit any stronger just because they can't live more independently.

Also, blacks are not denied anything, nor are they forced to live anywhere specific. Many live in slum neighborhoods because they lack the intellect and/or drive to make something of their lives...just the same as a white person who lives in a scummy trailer their entire life. This isn't 1940 Berlin. Blacks can choose to live where they want, so long as they have the resources to afford it. It is a choice they make to be unsuccessful. They can either own it, or complain about it. The ones who complain about it and blame external factors are who give blacks so much negative attention in society. Just shut up, work hard, and make something of your life. Quit complaining and trying to figure out who to blame for your failures.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#38 May 2, 2013
Oh, stop it Linda. You sit behind a monitor and you have no clue what employment has been like in this state for anyone of color. Your stats do not include one big thing, the good ol boy club. If you are not white, you are not in in it. Even the worst uncle Toms are kept on the outside. Most black folk do not live in the slums because they want to, it's all they can afford. Drugs have been in black neighborhoods because that is where white society designed them to be from the start. Black people have to take accountability for our lack of leaders but I am sick of these crusty old white people acting like white America has given black people such a fare shake. Linda is a perfect example of what I am talking about. She puts out black people are violent, lazy and cry babies just to say a few. Now if you believe that, would you hire a black person,be friends,let your kids play with a black child. I hate to see someone play the race card but damn if I have not seen white people use color my whole life.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#39 May 2, 2013
I could hammer this woman with example after example of real life situations that show why those stats are what they are. I can show what she calls resources and how uneven they have been for so many, not just black people.
I sent two kids through college without any help and kept employed before I became an owner without a formal education. I can not tell you how many times I have been rejected because of my color.I get so angry when I look back at how we ( my family) was treated. I watched a boy grow up fighting the feelings that he wasn't good enough because of his color and give his life for people like Linda.
Guy

Indianapolis, IN

#40 May 2, 2013
Yeah yeah......it's all Whiteys fault.......
Linda Bledsoe

Pittsburgh, PA

#41 May 2, 2013
BMIGuy wrote:
I could hammer this woman with example after example of real life situations that show why those stats are what they are. I can show what she calls resources and how uneven they have been for so many, not just black people.
I sent two kids through college without any help and kept employed before I became an owner without a formal education. I can not tell you how many times I have been rejected because of my color.I get so angry when I look back at how we ( my family) was treated. I watched a boy grow up fighting the feelings that he wasn't good enough because of his color and give his life for people like Linda.
It sounds like you have absolutely no respect for your heritage or your race. That must be a sad way to live. If you really put your kids through college with no help and while staying employed, congratulations. You did exactly what you are SUPPOSED to do. You did not go above and beyond any call to service. You fulfilled your basic responsibility as a human being and as a parent. It doesn't make you extraordinary or special. Most people expect that to happen. If you are looking for a pity party, you might want to look elsewhere. Take your black angst and forget about it. It won't get you anywhere.
Jack

Indianapolis, IN

#42 May 2, 2013
BMIGuy wrote:
Oh, stop it Linda. You sit behind a monitor and you have no clue what employment has been like in this state for anyone of color. Your stats do not include one big thing, the good ol boy club. If you are not white, you are not in in it. Even the worst uncle Toms are kept on the outside. Most black folk do not live in the slums because they want to, it's all they can afford. Drugs have been in black neighborhoods because that is where white society designed them to be from the start. Black people have to take accountability for our lack of leaders but I am sick of these crusty old white people acting like white America has given black people such a fare shake. Linda is a perfect example of what I am talking about. She puts out black people are violent, lazy and cry babies just to say a few. Now if you believe that, would you hire a black person,be friends,let your kids play with a black child. I hate to see someone play the race card but damn if I have not seen white people use color my whole life.
Hey....I'm white and was unemployed for over a year, so believe me, I can sympathize with what you are saying. But listen to yourself...you are blaming everybody for your problems. Is black America willing to accept any responsibility for their plight? Is white america responsible for the 70% AA illegitate birth rate? Are we responsible for the black on black crime? Are we responsible for the apathy in urban schools? I am not trying to be an asshole, for once I would like to have an honest discussion on race without it degrading to racist rants from both sides.

Have you examined why you haven't been hired? Do you have a resume? Have you gone to the dept of labor to have your resume reviewed by councilers to see of it could be improved? have you taken any mock interviewing classes so that you know how to prepare and learn to sell yourself better during an interview? Have you taken any of the free jobs skill training that may be offered to make yourself more marketable to a prospective employer? If you haven't done any of these things, then I suggest you do so. Cause I can guarantee that the person who gets the job did.

The competition for jobs in this economy is fierce, regardless of race and educational level. The sooner you start taking ownership of your problems, the sooner you will solve them. I can speak from experience, it's not fun to take personal stock in ones self. You sometimes face realities that are unpleasant, but with determination can be overcome.

“Don't Tread on Me!”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#43 May 2, 2013
Successful people's children pick up and emulate successful daily habits that in turn make them successful adults, by and large. Of course there are always exceptions. One study showed that despite varying family structures-- economic class, religion, married parent/single-parent gay/straight; the number one factor in determining a child's level of success were the levels achieved by the kids with whom they went to school.
I used to think the violence was a racial thing, too. Then it dawned on me as the Springer guest and meth head numbers exploded; it's a POVERTY thing, and as the white entitlement class grows so do their levels of violence.
JMHO
WhaddaFawkingRet ard

Knoxville, TN

#44 May 2, 2013
Guy wrote:
Yeah yeah......it's all Whiteys fault.......
I agree.
It's all whiteys fault. I feel so guilty that I am even of the white race. Holding the black folk down.
Causing them to commit black on black crime, fathering countless children, using the welfare system, rape, robbery, selling crack, being unemployed.
It's all whiteys fault as we hve held them down for such a long time.
Such a human travesty.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carmel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gary Beeler 42 min Danielle 1
See, Indiana still consider a very racist state... (Nov '07) 5 hr Just me 968
News Pike Soccer Club looking for players (Oct '07) 14 hr Delali Kwame Azumah 498
News Thousands remember slain IU student in 2 vigils 17 hr No doubt 1
Rush Limbaugh dropped from wibc Indianapolis radio Mon The Greatest Kaptoz 21
post road needs sidewalks on both sides of the ... Sun COCKADOODLE DOO 2
RiCk Sharp owes Carmel AN APOLOGY (Sep '12) Apr 17 westside andy 4
More from around the web

Carmel People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]