Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 71943 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

former res

Broomall, PA

#37616 Jun 22, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
As much as I detest Mittens, I dont hold his Mormonism against him.
I have to admit, I kind of do.

Admittedly I'm no fan of reilgion, but I also don't view them all the same.

I see a differnece between say the Hindu tradition which dates back thousands of years before Christ and a religion started by a guy from New York state 180 years ago.(Not to mention he lost the tablets...)
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
What is truely sad, is, like it or not, even though his Mormonism is public knowledge to anyone with a neuron or two, there are huge swaths of people who are too uninformed to notice -- i.e. just think about WHAT ELSE more important issues these people are missing, about EITHER candidate.....
I ask standard questions of folks when politics comes up:

1. Can you tell me the top 2 or 3 issues in your view?(or the issue most important to you)

2. Can you tell me the postions of the majoe candidats/parties on these issues?

Usually I hear crickets...

I didn't think these were difficult questions.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#37617 Jun 22, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
I recently read an article in favor of making voting compulsory. Can you imagine the amount of uninformed voting that will occur? Couple that with a report showing how modern day Republicans are more likely to ignore facts when they conflict with their beliefs, and we have a perfect storm.
That would be a nightmare.

I remember hearing on NPR a few weeks ago from an interview with a campaign consultant that there IS a significant pool of people in every election that dont pay attention until the last week or two. I find that really hard to believe, in light of the polarization of this country. But then again, in light of my previous comments about how plugged in but not plugged in many young people are.....

Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#37618 Jun 22, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to admit, I kind of do.
Admittedly I'm no fan of reilgion, but I also don't view them all the same.
I see a differnece between say the Hindu tradition which dates back thousands of years before Christ and a religion started by a guy from New York state 180 years ago.(Not to mention he lost the tablets...)

<quoted text>
I ask standard questions of folks when politics comes up:
1. Can you tell me the top 2 or 3 issues in your view?(or the issue most important to you)
2. Can you tell me the postions of the majoe candidats/parties on these issues?
Usually I hear crickets...
I didn't think these were difficult questions.
I wouldnt expect any view from you to the contrary (not an insult). You focus right in on the truthiness factor of religion. I dont know a lot about the theology of Mormonism - but some of the extra planetory concepts of heavan and afterlife are not that different in concept than some of the views of many Jews - the mormons just use really funny labels.

But ultimately - what matters to me is HOW the candidate actualizes his views. I am voting for the candidate, not his religion. If the candidate is a dirkwad, it might be that this trumps his religion anyhow (a certain Caribean fellow comes to mind here).

Those are difficult questions - because people vote how they feel, not how they think.(Though I still think it is bizarre not to have feelings towrds a candidate this late in the game)
former res

Broomall, PA

#37619 Jun 22, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldnt expect any view from you to the contrary (not an insult). You focus right in on the truthiness factor of religion. I dont know a lot about the theology of Mormonism - but some of the extra planetory concepts of heavan and afterlife are not that different in concept than some of the views of many Jews - the mormons just use really funny labels.
But ultimately - what matters to me is HOW the candidate actualizes his views. I am voting for the candidate, not his religion. If the candidate is a dirkwad, it might be that this trumps his religion anyhow (a certain Caribean fellow comes to mind here).
Those are difficult questions - because people vote how they feel, not how they think.(Though I still think it is bizarre not to have feelings towrds a candidate this late in the game)
Yeah, it's the old "who would you want to have a beer with?" W did pretty well with that, which is why we got stuck with him twice and images of Kerry windsurfing and Gore's stiffness didn't help.

I'd have to think twice about a guy who believes in magic underwear though. His judgment.

Not that I know much about either, but it sounds like half step from Scientology??
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#37620 Jun 22, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd have to think twice about a guy who believes in magic underwear though.
Its one of those things that if you need it, you need it.
former res

Broomall, PA

#37621 Jun 22, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Its one of those things that if you need it, you need it.
Is it really a need, or more of a nice-to-have?

;))
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#37622 Jun 22, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it really a need, or more of a nice-to-have?
;))
Note the similarity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_garment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallit_katan#Tal...
former res

Broomall, PA

#37624 Jun 22, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
I do recall this when the magic underwear came up before.

What can I say?

If you can't beat em, join em?
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#37625 Jun 22, 2012
Debunking The Christ Myth?

Argument from, Glenn Kimball, against The Christ Conspiracy (which he hasnít read),

Reply by D.M. Murdock, author of The Christ Conspiracy, Part- 1

Myth #1:

This thinking is a new fade [sic] whose time for debunking is at hand.

Reply # 1;

"This thinking," i.e, that Jesus Christ is a mythical character, is not at all a "new fad." It has been around since the very beginning, because the intelligentsia of the ancient world knew that what the early Church fathers were palming off was mummified mythology. As Rev. Robert Taylor says:

And from the apostolic age downwards, in a never interrupted succession, but never so strongly and emphatically as in the most primitive times, was the existence of Christ as a man most strenuously denied.

Indeed, the first and second epistles of John were written principally to combat such deniers of the historical Christ.(1 Jn. 4:2-3; 2 Jn. 7) The denial of "Christ come in the flesh" is an early "heresy" called "Docetism," whose proponents not only abounded during the first centuries of the Christian era but were the original "Christians," i.e., Gnostics.

Myth # 2:

We have letters written in the hand of Jesus. A myth doesnít write letters.

Reply # 2:

As concerns the "letters from Jesusís own hand," no scholar of any worth, Christian or otherwise, has ever considered these "letters" to be "genuine." Like most Christian writings and artifacts, these "letters" are forgeries.

The Catholic Encyclopedia truthfully asserts that the legendary event purported in the most infamous of these "letters," i.e., that to "King Abgar," is an "imaginary occurrence," and states concerning the spurious letter from Christ:

The text is borrowed in two places from that of the Gospel, which of itself is sufficient to disprove
the authenticity of the letter. Moreover, the quotations are made not from the Gospels proper, but from the famous concordance of Tatian, compiled in the second century, and known as the "Diatessaron," thus fixing the date of the legend as approximately the middle of the third century.

The Catholic Encyclopedia also says of this "letter":

Its legendary environment and the fact that the Church at large did not hand down the pretended epistle from Our Lord as a sacred document is conclusive against it.

As Wells says in The Historical Evidence for Jesus:

About 1200, Constantinople was so crammed with relics that one may speak of a veritable industry with its own factories. Blinzler (a Catholic New Testament scholar) lists, as examples, letters in Jesusí own hand, the gold brought to the baby Jesus by the wise men, the twelve baskets of bread collected after the miraculous feeding of the 5000, the throne of David, the trumpets of Jericho, the axe with which Noah made the Ark, and so on ...

And Wheless says in Forgery in Christianity:

[T]hat "very dishonest writer," Bishop Eusebius, in the fourth century...forged the Letters between Abgar and Jesus, falsely declaring that he had found the original documents in the official archives, whence he had copied and translated them into his Ecclesiastical History... If the Gospel tales were true, why should God need pious lies to give them credit?

Lies and forgeries are only needed to bolster up falsehood: "Nothing stands in need of lying but a lie." But Jesus Christ must needs be propagated by lies upon lies; and what better proof of his actuality than to exhibit letters written by him in his own handwriting?

The "Little Liars of the Lord" were equal to the forgery of the signature of their God Ė false letters in his name, as above cited from that exhaustive mine of clerical falsities, the Catholic Encyclopedia.

No, a myth doesnít write letters. Forgers do.

(Contd.)
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#37627 Jun 23, 2012
SeasideSoon wrote:
<quoted text>Futility = trying to prove a negative.
Sheilaa wrote-----It is not up to people who believe in Jesus to prove that he existed it is up to the skeptics to prove that he didn't.

@sea-----Futility = trying to prove a negative.

HughBe--- There seems to be no limit to deception.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#37628 Jun 23, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
No complaints here. It is 75 degrees outside and relatively pleasant.
(and Hughbe is not a homosexual)
Frijoles---and Hughbe is not a homosexual

HughBe--- Correct but you are. Some will say that there is no fundamental difference between a homosexual and a paedophile.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#37629 Jun 23, 2012
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
That "whooshing" noise? That was the point passing far, far over your head.
Yes, medical SCIENCE has discovered that, under certain specific circumstances, leeches can indeed be good medicine. However, a course of leeches STILL can't cure your head cold, nor will maggots cure anyone's esophageal cancer.
Do try to pay attention.
How many times will I have to repeat this before you get the point?
Liam---Yes, medical SCIENCE has discovered that, under certain specific circumstances, leeches can indeed be good medicine. However, a course of leeches STILL can't cure your head cold, nor will maggots cure anyone's esophageal cancer.

HughBe--- clearly it can't cure your hallucination as I made no connection between cancer, head cold and maggots.

Follow closely, YOUR Government thinks that leeches are medical DEVICES as well as some doctors who are well informed.

What is a MEDICAL device?

"Maggots and leeches are so effective that the FDA last year CLASSIFIED them as the first live MEDICAL DEVICES."

Finally, read the following until it is understood. The classification does not make leeches a cure-all BUT it exposes your "whooshing noise".

Which medicine cures everything?
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#37630 Jun 23, 2012
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Dream on...
HughBe---Technology will help in BIOLOGY as well and that shall greatly improve understanding which will lead to the discarding of your SCIENTIFIC THEORY on evolution.

Liam--- Dream on

HughBe--- Are you saying that Technology will not help in Biology and our understanding of it? How do you know that the increased knowledge and UNDERSTANDING from the use of technology will not lead to a discarding of your SCIENTIFIC THEORY called evolution.

What is theory?
JOEL PASTAKIA

Mumbai, India

#37631 Jun 23, 2012
The brainless, superstitious, fanatical and demon worshipping Jewish posters stay offline on the SHABBAT. LOL.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#37632 Jun 23, 2012
JOEL PASTAKIA wrote:
The brainless, superstitious, fanatical and demon worshipping Jewish posters stay offline on the SHABBAT. LOL.
rabbee: when TheShabbos has ended in Yeroosalem, then it has ended for the whole world. G-D does not cater, to your own personal loco time. no matter what your own, loco-motive may be.

and this is still world war against G-D, and not GanEden peace with HIM here in TheTorah aaagain.
JOEL PASTAKIA

Mumbai, India

#37633 Jun 23, 2012
Evil, possessed, eugenically abnormal, mentally unstable, brainless, demon worshipping Jewish fool.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#37634 Jun 23, 2012
JOEL PASTAKIA wrote:
Evil, possessed, eugenically abnormal, mentally unstable, brainless, demon worshipping Jewish fool.
rabbee: yes you, are!
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#37635 Jun 23, 2012
JOEL PASTAKIA wrote:
Cool. You recognize shabbat even without us telling you to.

We can see that the thoughtforms are doing their jobs.
JOEL PASTAKIA

Mumbai, India

#37636 Jun 23, 2012
SPIRITUALISM:

Spiritualism as the name implies is all about directly communing and merging with the spirit - the consciousnesses of the supraphysical planes - and finally with the absolute consciousness, whereas, religion, too, has the same role if one goes by the etymology - religare - to bind - which means to unite the self to the super self through the yogic union in being.

However, over the ages, given the limitations of the various prophets and the unregenerate nature of the common herd, religion has degenerated into a set of mindless rituals, bigotry, sectarianism, the source of violence and mass superstitions with each religion having its own god which in many cases is simply a demon as we see in Judaism which is Satan worship in manifest form.

So, while religion is dead and is heading for extinction, spiritualism can only get stronger and with the coming supramental manifestation on earth, self-realization via the yogic union in consciousness of the awakened psychic with the cosmic self is set to become the common discipline of surviving humanity with far reaching consequences.
JOEL PASTAKIA

Mumbai, India

#37639 Jun 23, 2012
HIGHLIGHT:

While religion is dead and is heading for extinction, spiritualism can only get stronger and with the coming supramental manifestation on earth, self-realization via the yogic union in consciousness of the awakened psychic with the cosmic self is set to become the common discipline of surviving humanity with far reaching consequences.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carmel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Del Rey Oaks Garden Center grand opening schedu... Jul 21 Kathi Buckley Smith 1
Water leak inside car under the dash. Jul 21 Franniew62 1
drugs Jul 16 JayJay 2
News Sex offender Tom Pollacci pleads not guilty to ... (Mar '09) Jul 15 martin5 360
City of seaside needs to replace more than PD T... Jul 10 fed up 1
Monterey Seafood Restaurant Celebrates its 26 Y... Jul 6 cafefina58 1
News Carmel waste broker accused of bribery (Dec '08) Jun '15 ChaCha 17
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carmel Mortgages