Peninsula College - Financial Aid - Higher One Acct

Posted in the Carlsborg Forum

Seeker

Seattle, WA

#1 Dec 31, 2012
Does anyone else have problems with getting their financial aid from the school? I know they get the money AT LEAST several weeks in advance because they take out my tuition FIRST. Then, they hold onto the balance of the funds and they don't send out the check (my remaining funds) until about the day before or the day school starts... IF I'm lucky, that is. Before I could look under the Financial Aid area online thru the Peninsula College (PC) website and track the disbursements (check 'calculation') and estimate when my money would come to me. Now, with the "Higher One Account" (i.e., Peninsual Card) that has been forced upon us, there is no way to do that. We have to WAIT until (if/when) PC sends the refund to Higher One. And then WAIT to see IF the money gets put in the account and/or transferred to your regular bank account and/or when they issue a paper check (which apparently takes even longer than when PC disbursed the refunds themselves!).

This has been going on for several quarters. Now they have MADE us use their Peninsula Card (Higher One Account), so I'm afraid the issuing of funds is going to be even slower... especially if you elect to have a paper check sent out.

Again, this quarter, I see they took my tuition money, but have not sent the check. And even though I signed up with their Peninsula Card/Higher One Account, there is still no money!

You send them (Pen Col Fin Aid) and email, and they are so slow to respond... if at all. Then IF you get a response, it is curt and/or rude, and then they don't even address the problem and/or what they intend on doing about it.

It seems they are not progressing in a positive manner - they don't give good info on their website, the changes they make may be easier for them (i.e., handing the refunds off to someone else to manage), and their 'customer service' definately lacks in professionalism. They need to realize that they wouldn't be here but for US, the students, and it's time they took care to make life more easier for US than THEM. It should be our problem and we shouldn't have to suffer because of their mishandling of our accounts, records, or information... nor should it be made our problem if they don't have enough people doing their jobs or to DO their jobs in an expedient enough manner.

Most all of the student have bills to pay, I know I do. I pre-pay my bills each quarter. I have rent to pay, and if it's not paid by the 5th of each month, I get charged a late fee. To avoid that, I pre-pay my rent too. But when the next quarter rolls around and I don't get paid when the school has my money but doesn't release it in a timely manner, then I end up paying the price. This is not fair and it is not acceptable. My rent is due tomorrow, and I (again) have no money. But Peninsula College has taken THEIR tuition.

And speaking of tuition, they took too much. At the time tuition was deducted, I was in the process of changing my classes around. I was charged for 20 credits, even though the next day I rearranged my schedule to take only 15. That was over TWO WEEKS AGO, and despite my emails requesting the refunded balance, they have not acknowledged the overpayment. I am due almost $400. What is up with that???

If you are on financial aid - either grants or loans - you are forever at their mercy. Grants I can understand that you might have to be kept under their "thumb" (control), but those LOANS *I* am responsible for,*I* have to pay back, and *I* should have more control over those funds AND easier and quicker access to those funds!

I know I am amoung a great majority that has to deal with these various problems every quarter. The question is, what can be done about these issues? What can we, the students, do about it? Some of us can go to another college, but apparently it is the same pretty much everywhere.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carlsborg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Washingto... (Oct '10) 14 hr LeafSudsDotCom 718
Corruption in Clallam County. (Feb '09) Sep 9 heartfocus 27
Deputies trying to identify man tangled in wire... (Jan '13) Aug '14 walkerwilliam91 3
Debate: Immigration - Sequim, WA (Jun '10) Jul '14 vet 30
2 not guilty pleas in Washington fake kidnapping Jun '14 JoyceP 1
Considering moving to Port Angeles. -- Info on ... Jun '14 Recon 2
17 Quotes From Rand Paul That Will Blow You Away May '14 GlobalVagabond 1
•••

Carlsborg News Video

•••
•••

Carlsborg Jobs

•••
•••
•••