Carlsbad councilwoman says it's time to revisit motorcycle helmet law in New Mexico

Aug 2, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Carlsbad Current-Argus

Two fatal motorcycle crashes in the past month in which the riders were not wearing helmets have prompted Carlsbad city councilor Judi Waters to take action and begin to look into a local helmet ordi-nance as well as pressuring the state to pass its own.

Comments
21 - 31 of 31 Comments Last updated Sep 6, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Brothers In Arms

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2012

Judged:

I would like to see Judi Waters wear a helmet in this climate, there are only a few times I will wear a helmet and thats in the winter. Passing out from overheating is just as dangerous as the police officers who drive around this town while talking on their cell phones. This WANNA BE ordinance is ridiculous, it is a waste of time. Eventually everyone of us will pass, from smoking, drinking,or working at home. This law is like mandating people who drive to have a breath analyzer installed in the vehicles they operate. I really dont think a helmet would have saved the individuals who were recently killed, I personally knew 2 of them and alot about the accidents they were involved in. I think the City council needs to re-group and focus on this city. If Judi Waters wants to do something productive, then make it mandatory for people who have received traffic infractions for running red lights, cell phone use while driving, using no blinkers, not yeilding to traffic ect.. to go through a mandatory motorcycle type course to watch out for us, I think this should be in every drivers education course as well. Then, enforce the brake light, tail lights and turn signals on trailers, and lets not forget about the people who haul trash to the dump and lose half the load on the way because its not secured which causes us poor motorcycle people to swerve or get new tires, and sometimes we do lay our bikes down because of all the crap in the road, this should apply to the city workers who are mowing the sides of the roads too!! it spreads lle the cans, bottles and any rubbage that was on the shoulder into the road. As you can see there are more prudent ways to save a life, well just compare how many people have lost their life in automobile accidents here lately, I would bet its more than 6. P.S. it would be nice to have an emergency room that could cater to more than a few stitches. With the industries we have here we need a true trama ER. Thats all folks!!!
Marco

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2012

Judged:

She wants to be mayor. Scary
whodo

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2012

Marco wrote:
She wants to be mayor. Scary
just a preview of what this town will be in for if shes ever elected mayor!
use to be resident

Englewood, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2012

You people must be retarded! Helmets save lives!!
whodo

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2012

use to be resident wrote:
You people must be retarded! Helmets save lives!!
The point is that riders should make that decision themselves and not have it forced on them. I equate it to the seatbelt law. If I choose not to wear a seatbelt or a helmet, I am puting no one else a risk but myself. I do, however, agree with the cellphone use ban in city limits after nearly driving off the road trying to make a call. But again, using a cellphone on ciy streets involves endangering ohers as well as myself.
chris

Harrison, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2012

Mayhem wrote:
Sure! Don't wear a helmet!!
GREAT idea!!!!
If any of the MC riders out there want to go helmet-less that is their right.
It is also societies right NOT to pay for their choices.
If anyone wants to go helmet-less they should sign a waiver that would indemnify the State, County and City from any support, medical or otherwise, for the results of a helmet-less accident.
Hey! Get Down with your bad MC-riding selves!!
And loud pipes save lives right???
What a load of horse-****.
Yeah and for those WOMEN out there having kids they CAN'T afford and relying on BIG Government aka YOU AND I to fund their child birth expenses, hospital stay, food stamps, HUD, and all other forms of WELFARE, then they too need to have a contract written up that if/when they have sex and get pregnant, that They and THEY alone will be responsible and had better have a HUGE savings account already in place so that when they baby comes, they can pay CASH up front for the birth and for the (at least) 18 years of caring for it.

I can't WAIT for that to happen. I am sick and tired of paying for useless welfare for mothers to keep having kids. I support personal responsibility.

Since: Feb 09

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2012

chris wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah and for those WOMEN out there having kids they CAN'T afford and relying on BIG Government aka YOU AND I to fund their child birth expenses, hospital stay, food stamps, HUD, and all other forms of WELFARE, then they too need to have a contract written up that if/when they have sex and get pregnant, that They and THEY alone will be responsible and had better have a HUGE savings account already in place so that when they baby comes, they can pay CASH up front for the birth and for the (at least) 18 years of caring for it.
I can't WAIT for that to happen. I am sick and tired of paying for useless welfare for mothers to keep having kids. I support personal responsibility.
wow....dreamin man....you gotta put down that doobie....cuz next thing you will be thinkin that maybe these gals can pay their bills and build up that savings account by workin flat on their backs....
Carlsbad

Hobbs, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2012

Judged:

How is it all of these different city officials the ones in office now, and the ones that are no longer in office, ended up with all of this property they own, find this extremely interesting.

How they are doing it, there are using city property taxes, they are using the city and County liens on properties.

""They keep these ' liens secret ' let time run out""

Then they pay the tax lien off for a few hundred dollars, they end up with high dollar real estate they turn around and sell for hundreds of thousands.
capital

Hobbs, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Judged:

Carlsbad Resident wrote:
Carlsbad city councilor ""Judi Waters"" to take action and begin to look into a local helmet ordi-nance as well as pressuring the state to pass its own.
I am a bike rider and I own a helmet, but I very seldom where it, ""that is my U.S. FREE choice"".
I do not need nor want a dictator like "Judi Waters" telling me I have to wear a helmet, there is no room for dictators in the United States.
This is one of the things wrong with Carlsbad, there are just too many Bible thumping narcissis women dictators here.
You give dictators and inch and they will take all of it.
Stand up for your FREE U.S. rights people or lose it to dictators.
Gary Bussy your poster boy?
Carlsbad Resident

Hobbs, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Judged:

I am a bike rider and I own a helmet, but I very seldom where it, ""that is my U.S. FREE choice"".

I do not want a dictator like "Judi Waters" telling me I have to wear a helmet, there is no room for dictators in the United States.
translator

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Judged:

Carlsbad Resident wrote:
I do not want a dictator like "Judi Waters" telling me I have to wear a helmet, there is no room for dictators in the United States.
judi waters, in spanish is judia aguas,

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

18 Users are viewing the Carlsbad Forum right now

Search the Carlsbad Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
217 undocumented immigrants now held at FLETC i... 3 hr Costa Rican 10 year old 108
Say it in six words (Jul '08) 3 hr Richies Cool Man Diary 8,438
Time to chunk up 6 hr bye 5
Coach allegedly molested teen 9 hr huh 45
Rediculous rental housing availability (Sep '10) 13 hr Totally 8
Dr Paul, DDS - Does good work 14 hr Thx 2
High price gas and high price rent hurt Carlsbad Tue _Aristotle_ 12
•••
•••
•••
•••

Carlsbad Jobs

•••