Carlsbad councilwoman says it's time to revisit motorcycle helmet law in New Mexico

Aug 2, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Carlsbad Current-Argus

Two fatal motorcycle crashes in the past month in which the riders were not wearing helmets have prompted Carlsbad city councilor Judi Waters to take action and begin to look into a local helmet ordi-nance as well as pressuring the state to pass its own.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of31
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Carlsbad Resident

Lovington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2012

Judged:

Carlsbad city councilor ""Judi Waters"" to take action and begin to look into a local helmet ordi-nance as well as pressuring the state to pass its own.

I am a bike rider and I own a helmet, but I very seldom where it, ""that is my U.S. FREE choice"".

I do not need nor want a dictator like "Judi Waters" telling me I have to wear a helmet, there is no room for dictators in the United States.

This is one of the things wrong with Carlsbad, there are just too many Bible thumping narcissis women dictators here.

You give dictators and inch and they will take all of it.

Stand up for your FREE U.S. rights people or lose it to dictators.
Resident

Lovington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2012

Judged:

You are so on this !

Stand up for your FREE U.S. rights people or lose it to dictators. YES!
Cyrus the Virus

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2012

Judged:

I get the law for kids under 18 wearing them because some parents aren't sharp enough to make a kid wear one, but adults should have their own say. It is like the seatbelt law. I think a parent should get the book thrown at them for not putting a belt on their little kids, but the adult should have the choice.
Sherlock

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2012

Judged:

I have a HD, but now do not wish to ride it without a helmet. I'm seeing an escalating increase in Medical care and do not want to have a $200k medical bill due to a head injury. It's not a matter of if I have an accident, but when I do.
Let these bike riders have their rights not to wear a helmet, but make sure they pay more premiums than I do, same for the obese people. Don't make my premiums go higher for all these risk takers.
Hands Free

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2012

Judged:

There is already enough safety built into the traffic
system - stop signs, speed limit signs, red, yellow,
green lights, stripes, reflectors, warning signs, as
well as media information on driving conditions during
weather events. And what happened to common sense? If you are driving in a large parking lot, do not speed across the place to get to the exit! Please, we do not need any more "protection" from BIG MOTHER! Look, you must drive alert, DEFENSIVELY, expect the drunk to pull out in front of you, the tailgater to ram your as$ because he is speeding, the truck to pull out in front of you, somebody to fire a few rounds at you, somebody to speed through standing water and blind you! If you have to, pull over and let them pass. But you cannot rent a tank to drive in and full body armor. Driving is an olympic sport these days, the complacent driver like a slow fly in front of a hungry frog, dies!!!
Justin

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

Judged:

stupid city councilor
Carlsbad Resident

Hobbs, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

Justin wrote:
stupid city councilor

Mayhem

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

Judged:

Sure! Don't wear a helmet!!

GREAT idea!!!!

If any of the MC riders out there want to go helmet-less that is their right.

It is also societies right NOT to pay for their choices.

If anyone wants to go helmet-less they should sign a waiver that would indemnify the State, County and City from any support, medical or otherwise, for the results of a helmet-less accident.

Hey! Get Down with your bad MC-riding selves!!

And loud pipes save lives right???

What a load of horse-shit.
Cyrus the Virus

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

Judged:

Mayhem wrote:
It is also societies right NOT to pay for their choices.
If anyone wants to go helmet-less they should sign a waiver that would indemnify the State, County and City from any support, medical or otherwise, for the results of a helmet-less accident.
I agree with that statement 100%. I don't want a helmet law, but if I wreck out and bust my skull open, I should be 100% financially responsible for the deal. I call it being responsible for myself. If we could get others to be responsible for themselves, we wouldn't have as much trouble with society in general.
LAW ABIDER

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

if she wants a helmet law. she can go and buy one and put it on, and leave it on even when shes taking a shower, you never know what unexpected can come out of a shower, [ HEAD].
THE JOKER

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

IF THAT PASSES, NEXT STEP WILL BE SHE WANTS A HELMET FOR ALL KIDS ON BIKES, THEN AFTER THAT HELMETS FOR ALL PEDETRIANS WALKING, IN CASE THEY GET HIT BY A VEHICLE, THEN ATER THAT, HELMETS FOR ALL KIDS UNDER 6 YRS OLD RIDING IN A VEHICLE SAFETY SEAT, OK COUNCILWOMAN, YOU MUST OWN STOCKS ON HELMETS,WE GET THE MESSAGE.
UH HUH

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

Judged:

Carlsbad Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
I THINK SHE WILL TAKE MORE THEN ONE INCH HOW ABOUT 7 OR 8
Major Kong

Artesia, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

Judged:

It's time for Judi Waters to revisit Moscow...and STAY THERE.

I'm on'na rid this country of ever' last Ruskie if it hair-lips everybody on Bear Creek. Stay on the bombing run, Ace!
Cycle Mania

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

To what extent does a helmet contribute to the survival
of the bicycle or MC driver after a catastrophic accident? Of course it will contribute some measure of
safety and protection, but what about the rest of the
body? Would not some of these accident victims have
succumbed to massive, fatal internal trauma or fatal
neck injuries? Seems to me a lot of this argument is saying if you wear a helmet you will survive an accident? Not necessarily. And for a country that does not want "Obamacare" and mandatory insurance for everyone, sounds like some folks want their cake and eat it too! The human enterprise is risky business. What good is the helmet going to do if the rest of your face and ears and eyeballs have been ripped apart and torn off, bones crushed, your internal organs smashed? There is lots of conflicting information of
the Internet about this. What to believe?

Since: Feb 09

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

i had a older brother who wrecked his bike near cloudcroft in 1977...the helmut saved his life....but he separated his right shoulder nerve.....left him paralyzed in the right arm....for life....so i think if you are riding out of town, in the mountains etc...then wear a helmut...but if you are riding in town just cruzing with your buds....then ride slow enough that others can see you and react.....i had to sell my bike back in '86 when the mines closed and reopened and lots of us were under stress and flying around town on the bike was a way to relieve it....but caused a dangerous situation....riding without regard for self or others.....so if you are having problems or impaired in judgement then stay off the bike....WALK....
HereWeGo

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2012

Mayhem your comment is as about as ignorant as Ms Waters thinking process albeit I am sure she is running out of things to meddle in before elections so what is your excuse. We have the same insurances as you car jockeys do - your not paying anything special because we choose to choose.You need to get your "special" helmet back on and find your missing short bus!
Carlsbad Resident

Hobbs, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2012

Judged:

I do not need nor want a dictator like "Judi Waters" telling me I have to wear a helmet, there is no room for dictators in the United States.

This is one of the things wrong with Carlsbad, there are just too many Bible thumping narcissis women dictators.
UH HUH

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2012

Judged:

Carlsbad Resident wrote:
This is one of the things wrong with Carlsbad, there are just too many Bible thumping narcissis women dictators.
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT, I BET MY RIGHT NUT, THAT BEFORE THE CELL PHONE LAW CAME INTO AFFECT, SHE WAS DRIVING AND TALKING AT THE SAME TIME, BUT NOW ITS DIFFERENT HUH????
Carlsbad Resident

Hobbs, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2012

Judged:

UH HUH wrote:
<quoted text>YOU GOT THAT RIGHT, I BET MY RIGHT NUT, THAT BEFORE THE CELL PHONE LAW CAME INTO AFFECT, SHE WAS DRIVING AND TALKING AT THE SAME TIME, BUT NOW ITS DIFFERENT HUH????
""SHE WAS DRIVING AND TALKING AT THE SAME TIME,

Still driving and talking her mouth never stops
biker bob

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2012

Judged:

if only a hoarde of bandidos would move in next door to judi wayers...that'd shut her up!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of31
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Carlsbad Discussions

Search the Carlsbad Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Say it in six words (Jul '08) 1 hr Sunshine Weaver 8,367
love 7 hr Sara 6
house for rent carlsbad nm (Jun '10) 9 hr Makes You Wonder 78
NM Republican Martinez claims NM governor's seat (Nov '10) 10 hr Joe 221
Does anyone know a girl named Laurie with the l... 18 hr Laurie V 2
Carlsbad car museum slow to catch on with locals (Aug '13) 19 hr photographer 39
Rachel from Intrepid Potash (Oct '13) Wed thisisfunny 8
•••
•••
•••
•••

Carlsbad Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Carlsbad People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••