Furr's building is demolished

Furr's building is demolished

There are 10 comments on the Carlsbad Current-Argus story from Aug 16, 2013, titled Furr's building is demolished. In it, Carlsbad Current-Argus reports that:

Only memories remain as the old Furr's Family Buffet building is being demolished this week to make room for a new hotel.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Carlsbad Current-Argus.

Calvin Payne

Carlsbad, NM

#1 Aug 20, 2013
We all have missed the Furr's and have a lot of fine memories,A new hotel will never take the place of a family place to meet and have a good meal and share life.
Sorry to hear it is going to be torn down.
RIP Furr's

Since: Feb 09

Carlsbad, NM

#2 Aug 20, 2013
Calvin Payne wrote:
We all have missed the Furr's and have a lot of fine memories,A new hotel will never take the place of a family place to meet and have a good meal and share life.
Sorry to hear it is going to be torn down.
RIP Furr's
lol....my wife almost cried when we went by there the other nite and it was torn down....when we go to odessa or el paso she wants to eat there....i havent let her know there is one in hobbs....we would be there all the time....at least i heard there is one there....there is one somewhere like in lubbock where they have a buffet like golden corral....you serve yourself....same food...taste the same....just with the abiltity to get up and get as much as you want...just my speed..they would build another here like that after i had gastttric bypass and cant even handle a whole mcrib....lol
Thelma

Carlsbad, NM

#3 Aug 24, 2013
ellvis wrote:
<quoted text>lol....my wife almost cried when we went by there the other nite and it was torn down....when we go to odessa or el paso she wants to eat there....i havent let her know there is one in hobbs....we would be there all the time....at least i heard there is one there....there is one somewhere like in lubbock where they have a buffet like golden corral....you serve yourself....same food...taste the same....just with the abiltity to get up and get as much as you want...just my speed..they would build another here like that after i had gastttric bypass and cant even handle a whole mcrib....lol
Boo Hoo. Your wife must be a total loser if this makes her cry.
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

#4 Aug 24, 2013
Calvin Payne wrote:
We all have missed the Furr's and have a lot of fine memories,A new hotel will never take the place of a family place to meet and have a good meal and share life.
Sorry to hear it is going to be torn down.
RIP Furr's
What's with all of the hotels?
Someone is trying to clean this place up.
It's about time.
Why live in trash?
Wow--

Hobbs, NM

#5 Aug 25, 2013
Thelma wrote:
<quoted text>
Boo Hoo. Your wife must be a total loser if this makes her cry.
Really!!! You must be a total biatch!!
Really

Carlsbad, NM

#6 Aug 26, 2013
I will miss Furrs. Wish we had a better all around business selection here, maybe with all this growth things will start to look up. Who knows trying to be optimistic, but I have to agree with most folks here , we don't really need another hotel. Apartments that families can actually afford yes( the new ones on Nat Park Hwy I was told are running $1000 a mth most working class families who need the appt can't afford that!) we could also use more places to buy decent boys clothing & shoes! Being the mother of 2 sons I find I have few choices here in town so my money goes elsewhere, & a decent restaurant other than Chilis would be nice. Also a NICE home decor & furniture place wouldn't hurt! All the Ashley furniture that We have bought has fallen apart in little to no time at all. The only couch I bought locally that hasn't broke down on me I bought from Decor, & it was a brand I had never heard of before & i must say I can't remember it even know!:) here's to hoping the future hold brighter things for our community!

Since: Feb 09

Carlsbad, NM

#7 Aug 27, 2013
Really wrote:
I will miss Furrs. Wish we had a better all around business selection here, maybe with all this growth things will start to look up. Who knows trying to be optimistic, but I have to agree with most folks here , we don't really need another hotel. Apartments that families can actually afford yes( the new ones on Nat Park Hwy I was told are running $1000 a mth most working class families who need the appt can't afford that!) we could also use more places to buy decent boys clothing & shoes! Being the mother of 2 sons I find I have few choices here in town so my money goes elsewhere, & a decent restaurant other than Chilis would be nice. Also a NICE home decor & furniture place wouldn't hurt! All the Ashley furniture that We have bought has fallen apart in little to no time at all. The only couch I bought locally that hasn't broke down on me I bought from Decor, & it was a brand I had never heard of before & i must say I can't remember it even know!:) here's to hoping the future hold brighter things for our community!
thanks for the ashley advice...i was about to buy some but would rather buy local if at the right price...we do need more motels but on the motel row area...the jws yard is for sale which would make a great motel area....the city is responsible for much of the fault of the rent prices being high ....they dont encourage growth in low income areas but only in high income housing....they feel that the city money should be used to subsidize the building of business areas such as the airport area and industrial park...and the north subdivisions ...there is a lot of land that can be used for affordable housing except the owners cant afford to make the improvements that the city requires for the subdivisions to place housing there....the Block Grant Development money from the feds are suppose to be going to this...low income infrastructure and improvements on existing subdivisions....but instead they spend it on subsidizing rich landowners who are building high income housing and business locations....this is in violation of the grant laws since it can only be used this way when no low income or sub-par neighborhoods are in need....the rich get richer and the poor get poorer....how...because if you own land in low income areas the property taxes have jumped in the last two years by a thousnad percent....what i was paying for a lot at 2.75 per lot per year has jumped to 27.50 per lot per year...many land owners in low income areas have lost their properties because of these tax increases and the city has picked up some of these....
Joe

Hobbs, NM

#8 Aug 27, 2013
Carlsbad rental properties are all about price gouging and greedy ass people. They are taking advantage of all the people who can't afford to own a home and when the oil field bust as it has a few times these people will be the ones to suffer. Will be empty homes and empty oil field shops everywhere. Its only a matter of time and all these greedy people will be in aww of how the stupidity of a few more bucks will affect their lives as they have done others over the greediness and gouging.
Joe

Hobbs, NM

#9 Aug 27, 2013
But another motel. Wrong choice. Good job carlsbad
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

#10 Aug 27, 2013
Really wrote:
I will miss Furrs. Wish we had a better all around business selection here, maybe with all this growth things will start to look up. Who knows trying to be optimistic, but I have to agree with most folks here , we don't really need another hotel. Apartments that families can actually afford yes( the new ones on Nat Park Hwy I was told are running $1000 a mth most working class families who need the appt can't afford that!) we could also use more places to buy decent boys clothing & shoes! Being the mother of 2 sons I find I have few choices here in town so my money goes elsewhere, & a decent restaurant other than Chilis would be nice. Also a NICE home decor & furniture place wouldn't hurt! All the Ashley furniture that We have bought has fallen apart in little to no time at all. The only couch I bought locally that hasn't broke down on me I bought from Decor, & it was a brand I had never heard of before & i must say I can't remember it even know!:) here's to hoping the future hold brighter things for our community!
El Paso has a Furrs cafeteria.
This town is controlled. Living here makes us sick.
It isn't normal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carlsbad Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Low Gas Prices Hurting State Budget 2 hr The truth 136
Martin Mills Running For Municipal Judge? 19 hr LMFAO 2
just curious Fri elvis 1
Looking for best fast internet provider in carl... Fri Fedup 2
Lubbock gas is $1.29 Feb 11 Cleatus 5
Obama to put $10 a barrel oil tax on oil companies Feb 11 Sam 4
Concrete Finisher (Jan '13) Feb 10 Jared 26
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carlsbad Mortgages