Carlsbad considers new zoning approach for borderlands

Sep 22, 2012 Full story: Carlsbad Current-Argus 16

The Carlsbad City Council is preparing to draw a line in the sand as it considers striking down the current regulations in the extra territorial zones on the city's outskirts.

Full Story
Carlsbad Resident

Hobbs, NM

#1 Sep 22, 2012
City drums are saying city insiders scheming, money to me made.
edward

Carlsbad, NM

#2 Sep 22, 2012
as the usa become more and more crowded (like europe) we will have more and more land use arguments
otis landowner

Carlsbad, NM

#3 Sep 22, 2012
They should bring city utilities to the people on the outskirts of town who are bent over a barrel by the Otis water co-op! There is a lot of land out there that could used for housing. But it is only sitting there looking ugly because people can't afford to pay the ridiculous prices that the Otis water mafia is charging for sub standard water.
perhaps

Carlsbad, NM

#4 Sep 23, 2012
otis landowner wrote:
They should bring city utilities to the people on the outskirts of town who are bent over a barrel by the Otis water co-op! There is a lot of land out there that could used for housing. But it is only sitting there looking ugly because people can't afford to pay the ridiculous prices that the Otis water mafia is charging for sub standard water.
I would rather be "bent over a barrel" by Otis water than swallowed up by the city. I moved to the Otis area to get away from the city. This has come up before and people have been angry and very vocal about NOT wanting to be under city regulations. How many times does it take for the city to get it?

Believe me Otis Resident, you will not be getting city water, sewer or garbage if this goes through..you'll only have the city breathing down you neck telling you what YOU can and cannot do with your land and what kind and how many animals/livestock you can have. Is that truly what you want? If it is, then move into the city and leave the Otis area to those of us who love living in a rural area.
Rubber ducky

Carlsbad, NM

#5 Sep 26, 2012
otis landowner wrote:
Just wait until the next major drought comes (like in the 90's) and dries up your wells again- even the new one. Not only will you be bent over the barrel by the co-op, but because you aren't city residents, you'll pay triple the cost for your water that the city resident does.

Carlsbad Resident

Carlsbad, NM

#6 Sep 26, 2012
I challenge you people out there go to the South Y, count the water trucks for one hour coming from the south, put them side-by-side and imagine how much water that is, and then think about all the years this has been going on.
How many of you remember the so-called convenient accident the oil company had contaminating groundwater, for the city of Carlsbad, that is the excuse they keep using water is not safe for human use BS that is a lie, they needed water that's how they got it by lying.

This is coming out of the ground a huge reservoir of water has been pumped out of the ground and contaminated with fracturing chemical and pumped back down into the ground to fracture rock, this rock will hold this contaminated water forever this water is gone forever.

It's not going to be the drought that is going to cause water problems for Carlsbad and the surrounding area, the water table is being sucked dry.

And is very close to being sucked dry now the drought did not do this.

Why do you think Yates petroleum is trying to sell their business.

Rubber ducky

Carlsbad, NM

#7 Sep 27, 2012
Carlsbad Resident wrote:
I challenge you people out there go to the South Y, count the water trucks for one hour coming from the south, put them side-by-side and imagine how much water that is, and then think about all the years this has been going on.
How many of you remember the so-called convenient accident the oil company had contaminating groundwater, for the city of Carlsbad, that is the excuse they keep using water is not safe for human use BS that is a lie, they needed water that's how they got it by lying.
This is coming out of the ground a huge reservoir of water has been pumped out of the ground and contaminated with fracturing chemical and pumped back down into the ground to fracture rock, this rock will hold this contaminated water forever this water is gone forever.
It's not going to be the drought that is going to cause water problems for Carlsbad and the surrounding area, the water table is being sucked dry.
And is very close to being sucked dry now the drought did not do this.
Why do you think Yates petroleum is trying to sell their business.
You know what happens when a human drinks sea water. It aint pretty. over 90% of the water used in oil floods is far greater in dissovled minreals (ie Salt) than that that humans can drink. Most of this "huge reservoir of water" is still there underground, and is greater in salt content than the Pecos River, Pacific Ocean or even the Dead Sea. Yummy! Wonder why we aren't drinking it yet?

"Water is considered highly saline if it contains anywhere from 10,000-35,000 ppm of dissolved salts. Water is considered fresh (thus fit for human consumption) if it contains less than 1,000 ppm of salt." ~ AWWA Definition for those of you that need a source.

"Humans can't drink salt water because the kidneys can only make urine that is less salty than salt water. Therefore, to get rid of all the excess salt taken in by drinking salt water, you have to urinate more water than you drank, so you die of dehydration."
~United States CDC

That huge underground reservior runs from 2900 to 42000 ppm of salt and is referred to as "briney." By the way, plants, even grass, don't like water with a concentration of 1200 or more ppm of salt (recent Texas A&M study in El Paso, TX). So if the briney water kills plants and will cause your kidneys to shut down why not use it for industrial use?
otis landowner

Euless, TX

#8 Sep 27, 2012
The oilfield uses city water to run cement because cement won't get hard if you mix it with brine water. That water is mostly non potable water. The water that Otis sells its customers for their consumption barely passes the standards for potable water and consumers should be protected from the criminals who sell at premium prices
walter

Hobbs, NM

#9 Sep 27, 2012
Looks like the city already has their hands on the R.V. Park being put in on Hopi road.
otis landowner

Euless, TX

#10 Sep 27, 2012
Where at on Hopi rd? That would be helpful to me
walter

Hobbs, NM

#11 Sep 27, 2012
otis landowner wrote:
Where at on Hopi rd? That would be helpful to me
I don't know,it was in yesterdays paper.
otis resident

Carlsbad, NM

#12 Sep 27, 2012
otis landowner wrote:
The oilfield uses city water to run cement because cement won't get hard if you mix it with brine water. That water is mostly non potable water. The water that Otis sells its customers for their consumption barely passes the standards for potable water and consumers should be protected from the criminals who sell at premium prices
i live in the otis area, and 1/2 the time they have the water turned off repairing some broken water line, last time they did that was like for 2 days, with no water, to even bathe or flush the shittter, not to mention we dont drink it, it tastes like shittt, we buy our cooking and drinking water , and the otis water, is for bathes and the wash machine and washing dishes and clothes , oh and the shittter, thats about the best that its for, there ought to be a law against this people, for selling us that filthy water,.even the trees and grass , dont like it,.
otis landowner

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Sep 27, 2012
The Otis water mafia doesn't care about your family they know that their days are numbered and they are out to screw as many people as they can before they are shut down.
otis resident

Carlsbad, NM

#14 Sep 27, 2012
otis landowner wrote:
The Otis water mafia doesn't care about your family they know that their days are numbered and they are out to screw as many people as they can before they are shut down.
yes we know all there water lines are all rotten and detiorerating, and it would be impossible for them to replace them all,so theyre surviving by a thread, and taking every red cent they can get there hands on,soon all this land will be annexed, and be carlsbad city limits ans will have good water then i hope, with new water lines that dont bust out every month.
clocker

Carlsbad, NM

#15 Sep 27, 2012
otis landowner wrote:
don't like it, move
Voice of Reason

Carlsbad, NM

#16 Sep 27, 2012
otis landowner wrote:
You do realize if the city passes an ETZ, you are still going to be on Otis water and pay a higher rate than what is charged within the city? The city will only take Otis Water over and you will still get the same water your getting now. La Huerta pays a higher rate for their water than people within the city. You might want to check it out, but I've heard it is double. Do you think when the city's water supply is so low that they talk of scheduling what days you can water your yard that they are going to actually provide city water to out lying areas? Why would you want to be under the control of the city when you can not even vote for the people who will be making the rules for you and your property, like city councilers or the mayor? I think you need to do some research before just deciding this will be so much better. It won't.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carlsbad Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Say it in six words (Jul '08) Mon ClintonCosbyyears 8,577
Debate: Gay Marriage - Carlsbad, NM (Aug '10) Nov 22 Susan G 56
Black Man Cuts off Head of White Woman in Oklahoma Nov 22 Wow 13
brian runnels Nov 22 Wow 13
Gangs will never die. Only people. (Mar '09) Nov 22 Carlsbad Resident 51
New Lake Carlsbad and Cascades Sign!!!! Nov 21 Nancy 3
President Obama's Immigration Plan Nov 21 Lady Liberty 1
Carlsbad Dating
Find my Match

Carlsbad People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Carlsbad News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Carlsbad

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:25 am PST

ESPN 8:25AM
DeMarco Murray chases Eric Dickerson's record
Bleacher Report12:50 PM
Cowboys Defense Finally Beginning to Slip Up?
NFL 1:19 PM
Cardinals sign Michael Bush to boost ground game
ESPN 1:37 PM
Cards sign M. Bush to aid anemic run attack
Bleacher Report 2:37 PM
Cards Sign Veteran RB Michael Bush