Organic Food in Carlsbad area

Posted in the Carlsbad Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Apr 13

Mountainair, NM

#1 Apr 9, 2013
I'm new to Carlsbad and looking for food. I've visited several grocery stores and haven't found any organic produce. I can't even find tofu. Can someone direct me? Thanks so much for your help.

Since: Apr 12

Carlsbad, NM

#2 Apr 9, 2013
lorance6 wrote:
I'm new to Carlsbad and looking for food. I've visited several grocery stores and haven't found any organic produce. I can't even find tofu. Can someone direct me? Thanks so much for your help.
Driving directions to El Paso, TX

Carlsbad, NM
1. Head north on N Canal St toward W Stevens St
305 ft
2. Take the 1st left onto W Stevens St
413 ft
3. Turn left onto N Halagueno St
0.2 mi
4. Take the 3rd left onto W Greene St
381 ft
5. Turn right onto US-180 W/US-62 W/S Canal St
Continue to follow US-180 W/US-62 W
Entering Texas
150 mi
6. Turn right onto Joe Battle Blvd
374 ft
7. Take the ramp to Texas Loop 375 N
0.2 mi
8. Merge onto TX-375 Loop E
3.8 mi
9. Take the exit toward TX-601 Spur
0.4 mi
10. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for El Paso Intl Airport
253 ft
11. Turn left onto TX-601 Spur
6.9 mi
12. Take the exit toward US-54 W
0.2 mi
13. Keep left at the fork and merge onto US-54 W
4.2 mi
14. Take exit 20A for US-62 toward Paisano Dr
0.2 mi
15. Turn right onto E Paisano Dr
2.6 mi
16. Turn right onto S Mesa St
0.2 mi
17. Turn right onto E San Antonio Ave
69 ft
18. Take the 1st left onto N Mesa St
164 ft

El Paso, TX

There are your directions.
WhoKnew

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Apr 9, 2013
Albertsons carries tofu in the produce section. You can aso enroll for Bountiful Baskets which is a co-op, for $25 you can get a box of organic fruit and veggies everyother weekend. Also the Farmers Market will be opening in May on the courthouse lawn.

Mountainair, NM

#4 Apr 9, 2013
so???? Is this suppose to be helpful?

Mountainair, NM

#5 Apr 9, 2013
WhoKnew's post IS helpful. Thank you. Have you purchased from Bountiful?
No Golden China

Carlsbad, NM

#6 Apr 9, 2013
Bountiful Baskets is really good! Have you tried that? Walmart and Albertson's both have tv.
No Golden China

Carlsbad, NM

#7 Apr 9, 2013
have tofu not tv

Since: Aug 09

Carlsbad, NM

#8 Apr 9, 2013
I'll be selling locally grown tomatoes and chile peppers of all kinds during the summer at the Farmer's Market.
WhoKnew

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Apr 9, 2013
Yes I have purchased from them and I have been very thrilled with my baskets. I also know 3 other people who get baskets and they also love what they get. The next order date is the 22nd starting at noon. You have to be fast as they sell out usually within a few hours.
Lori

Hobbs, NM

#10 Apr 9, 2013
_Aristotle_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Driving directions to El Paso, TX
Carlsbad, NM
1. Head north on N Canal St toward W Stevens St
305 ft
2. Take the 1st left onto W Stevens St
413 ft
3. Turn left onto N Halagueno St
0.2 mi
4. Take the 3rd left onto W Greene St
381 ft
5. Turn right onto US-180 W/US-62 W/S Canal St
Continue to follow US-180 W/US-62 W
Entering Texas
150 mi
6. Turn right onto Joe Battle Blvd
374 ft
7. Take the ramp to Texas Loop 375 N
0.2 mi
8. Merge onto TX-375 Loop E
3.8 mi
9. Take the exit toward TX-601 Spur
0.4 mi
10. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for El Paso Intl Airport
253 ft
11. Turn left onto TX-601 Spur
6.9 mi
12. Take the exit toward US-54 W
0.2 mi
13. Keep left at the fork and merge onto US-54 W
4.2 mi
14. Take exit 20A for US-62 toward Paisano Dr
0.2 mi
15. Turn right onto E Paisano Dr
2.6 mi
16. Turn right onto S Mesa St
0.2 mi
17. Turn right onto E San Antonio Ave
69 ft
18. Take the 1st left onto N Mesa St
164 ft
El Paso, TX
There are your directions.
LOL That was cute! I couldn't help but laugh! Thanks!

Mountainair, NM

#11 Apr 9, 2013
beagle rancher, thanks so much for the info. I'm looking forward to it.
Carlsbadian

Artesia, NM

#12 Apr 9, 2013
Actually Albertson's carries organic produce from Earthbound Farms, Driscoll's and Tanimura and Antle to name a few. And yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus AND tofu available in Carlsbad.

You'd be best advised however that NO ONE in Carlsbad has 100% organic produce grown locally. NO ONE. If they say they do they are mistaken. Local produce here can be organically GROWN that is to say, grown without chemicals etc. But, and this is a big "but", the agricultural industry in SE NM has been using manufactured chemicals for generations and the vast majority of farmers still do. You WILL get overspray from agricultural spraying on your garden. Granted there are steps that can and are taken by area gardeners to "grow responsibly". But locally grown 100% organic is not in our future anytime soon.
Carlsbadian

Artesia, NM

#13 Apr 9, 2013
Oh yeah, get to the Farmers Market early.

The produce is gone within thirty minutes of opening.
Organic

Carlsbad, NM

#14 Apr 9, 2013
Show up to my place in the nude! And I will make you anything you want!
health nut

Carlsbad, NM

#15 Apr 9, 2013
Bountiful Baskets is a wonderful program. Simply go to bountifulbaskets.org and set up an account and it'll tell you how to order and such. The person was right when they said they go fast...ordering starts at noon and by 12:30-12:45 it's all sold out. There are local people who sell eggs that aren't factory farmed (Kristin Pope is one who sells hers for $2.50 a dozen) Albertson's and Wal-Mart both sell tofu but it's limited (usually in the produce aisle near the end along with a few types of vegan cheese slices) Growing your own is what we've decided to do as we're so limited here by what you can get. There is also a co-op for non-produce items called Enchanted Herb Pantry ( enchantedherbpantry.com )

Since: Feb 09

Carlsbad, NM

#16 Apr 10, 2013
Lori wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL That was cute! I couldn't help but laugh! Thanks!
see.that is what i mean about you...you are twisted ....because you think that this assinine comment is cute....this directions are simply directions to downtown el paso....not a organic health store....i know the exact spot these directions are going to and i guarantee you there is no such place there....this is being specious and petty because this person asked a serious question and expected help not a stupid answer that does nothing to help....this is why most topix get taken over by petty bickering because people want to get smart and think they are cute rather than posting helpful info....most people would call this "trolling"...i call it "assholing"....

Carlsbad, NM

#17 Apr 10, 2013
ellvis wrote:
<quoted text>see.that is what i mean about you...you are twisted ....because you think that this assinine comment is cute....this directions are simply directions to downtown el paso....not a organic health store....i know the exact spot these directions are going to and i guarantee you there is no such place there....this is being specious and petty because this person asked a serious question and expected help not a stupid answer that does nothing to help....this is why most topix get taken over by petty bickering because people want to get smart and think they are cute rather than posting helpful info....most people would call this "trolling"...i call it "assholing"....
I call it non factual relevancy. While you are correct in that these directions would lead a person only to the general area of El Paso, you fail to miss the inherent point. The true point and issue is that Carlsbad as a whole lacks many things including an acceptable selection of organic and whole foods. The shopping available in this town is dismal. The post was not meant to be a troll but more to sarcastically bring up the issues I just mentioned.

The law is reason, free from passion.
Lori

Hobbs, NM

#19 Apr 10, 2013
_Aristotle_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I call it non factual relevancy. While you are correct in that these directions would lead a person only to the general area of El Paso, you fail to miss the inherent point. The true point and issue is that Carlsbad as a whole lacks many things including an acceptable selection of organic and whole foods. The shopping available in this town is dismal. The post was not meant to be a troll but more to sarcastically bring up the issues I just mentioned.
LOL, thanks for this laugh! A couple of girls I work with here are sending their thanks as well! We needed a laugh this afternoon! You put that ignorant "know it all" in his/her place with style! lol

Carlsbad, NM

#20 Apr 10, 2013
Lori wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, thanks for this laugh! A couple of girls I work with here are sending their thanks as well! We needed a laugh this afternoon! You put that ignorant "know it all" in his/her place with style! lol
That is not even my goal. Through experience I have become fully aware that there are some people that are unable to understand the underlying meaning to most any sarcastic remark. These people tend to read too far into and attempt to apply their idea of logic to what are obviously arbitrary comments. It is in these instances that I am forced to retort with a bit more clarity as to what is truly going on.

I am glad that you and your co-workers were able to get a chuckle.

Those that know, do. Those that understand, teach.

Since: Feb 09

Carlsbad, NM

#21 Apr 11, 2013
_Aristotle_ wrote:
<quoted text>
okay then say that....this person stated that they recently moved here...and you might have given a very bad impression of locals....others tried to be helpful and gave what info they had...we all know carlsbad has very little in the way of shopping for anything but it does have advantages to living in a small town where you drive across it in ten minutes....and most people are here because of work...not for the great scenery and attractions....see....sarcasm like this is more palatable when put in the proper perspective...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carlsbad Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rachel May my sister in law RIP 31 min Frankenfool 30
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) 4 hr Richies Cool Man ... 8,812
"City Trash Collection Officials" Sat Frustrated Resident 10
Frankenfool Gay Fri lawyers gone wild 28
carlsbad is a dirty nasty hole (Sep '13) Jul 21 Disgusted at what... 56
food trailers Jul 19 Frankenfool 8
Denny's Shooting (Apr '12) Jul 18 Hello 399

Carlsbad Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance