Municipal judge candidate pleads guil...

Municipal judge candidate pleads guilty to DUI

There are 12 comments on the Carlsbad Current-Argus story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Municipal judge candidate pleads guilty to DUI. In it, Carlsbad Current-Argus reports that:

A Carlsbad woman who has declared herself a candidate for the municipal court judgeship pleaded guilty to aggravated driving under the influence of alcohol Monday, court documents stated.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Carlsbad Current-Argus.

Two Beers

Carlsbad, NM

#1 Feb 5, 2008
She is just getting educated to the judicial system, so she will be a better judge....honest...really...com e on....
butternut

Carlsbad, NM

#2 Feb 6, 2008
I think she did not set a good example, I think justice was served or should we just sweep it under the rug like they do the stars!
Back on Topic

Carlsbad, NM

#3 Feb 28, 2008
I personally think that having a DWI should disqualify Moya for running in the race for municipal court judgeship. This is a serious conflict of interest and a disgrace to any judge's record. How can she sit behind the bench and rule on new cases knowing that she herself has a previous conviction. There needs to be a list of prerequisites for anyone who runs for this seat.
unwanted judge

Carlsbad, NM

#4 Feb 28, 2008
You see (Back on Topic) people like (butternut) like to just SWEEP it under the rug like it never happen. That is how carlsbad is run.......And thats why this town will never grow, get company's for job groth, better housing ect....And then what will happen people will some day start to see and then they will to move out of carlsbad like I.........
Back on Topic

Carlsbad, NM

#5 Feb 29, 2008
Someone needs to put up signs around town that say's "vote for Moya ~ DWI offender" Get the word out. Not everyone reads the CA. I highly doubt that she would get that many votes is the people knew her back ground.
Frisky Smith

Hobbs, NM

#6 Feb 29, 2008
......if they knew her background, or her BOYFRIEND!

“time to get rid of murderers”

Since: Dec 07

roswell

#7 Mar 1, 2008
WOW ANOTHER LOW LIVE SELFISH LOOSER!!! glad they cought him now, before he got the job, from the sounds of it he is one of those......well they did not kill my family while drunk driving so they can get off the hook.
book this low live looser....he attempted murder just like everybody else who gets in the car after drinking.
DUI versus LIFE

Carlsbad, NM

#8 Mar 1, 2008
jessy from roswell wrote:
WOW ANOTHER LOW LIVE SELFISH LOOSER!!! glad they cought him now, before he got the job, from the sounds of it he is one of those......well they did not kill my family while drunk driving so they can get off the hook.
book this low live looser....he attempted murder just like everybody else who gets in the car after drinking.
AMEN to that...You are right, that could have been your family or my family...so think about it EVERYBODY and think real hard CARLSBAD, before you her this postion as candidate......
Vote Tuesday

Carlsbad, NM

#9 Mar 2, 2008
The time has come for Carlsbad residence to go to the pole and vote. Please tell everyone you know that Tuesday March 4th is the big day to vote for municipal judge. I have a feeling that the logical thinkers will split their votes between the incumbent David Redford and Mario Salinas leaving everyone who has ever had any dealings with the law (or who didn't do their research) to vote for the remaining person on the ballot. I would hate to see the disaster that the city would get into if Moya got municipal judge. This is a FOUR year term.
City council seats will also be voted on Tuesday.
For a list of voting sites go to the article below. http://www.currentargus.com/news/ci_8423588

NM judge requirements
http://jec.unm.edu/resources/benchbooks/munic...
New Mexico's requirements are some of the most lax that I could find for municipal judge and vary by municipality.
http://www.judicialselection.us/judicial_sele...
NM Municipal Court Judge requirements
Jurisdiction: petty misdemeanors; DWI/DUI; traffic violations and other ordinance violations
Selection of Judges: partisan election
Retention of Judges: reelection
Qualifications: varies by municipality

In many states the cut off age is 70 years old with 6 years experience in law (many require law degree's for populations over 10,000).
Just because Carlsbad, NM doesn't has stringent requirements for this seat doesn't mean that we have to settle for less. I have done my research and I am voting for Judge Redford. Have you?

Go to; http://www.judicialselection.us/search/search...
to see all of the states requirements for this very important position.

roswell

#10 Mar 2, 2008
DUI versus LIFE wrote:
<quoted text>AMEN to that...You are right, that could have been your family or my family...so think about it EVERYBODY and think real hard CARLSBAD, before you her this postion as candidate......
i sure hope that the people who do go vote are not alcoholics!

roswell

#11 Mar 2, 2008
not all alcoholics....sorry
Vote Tuesday

Carlsbad, NM

#12 Mar 4, 2008
Tomorrow is the day to vote! Make it count! 15 minutes of your time will last for 4 years! Think your choice through very clearly and use your common sense and logic! This is for real!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carlsbad Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Locals say southern flag not a threat 36 min PolakPotrafi 44
violated by cyfd (Jun '13) 37 min Sfather 25
Review: Easy Breezy Vapez (May '14) 3 hr Carlsbad 15
News Carlsbad City Councilman JR Doporto: Build a wa... (May '14) Sat Local Caveman 24
Water Park @ Beach - $3 Million Sat Annette 5
carlsbad police dept. need help with watching ... Fri roadrunner suspect 6
Defund Planned Parenthood Fri bettybop 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carlsbad Mortgages