public schools rude/incompetent staff
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Archer

Carlsbad, NM

#25 Oct 12, 2012
Yeah. We've had kids in the school system for several years and for the most part, our kids had good teachers that worked hard to make the kids learn.

Through our three children's school careers in Carlsbad, there have been a few (one at PR Leyva, one at Riverside, and one at Sunset) that had major issues about parents (like us) that were very active in their kid's schooling. We just try and work through it with the teachers and remind the teachers that our goal is successfully furthering our child's education. For example, if our kids get anything less than an “A” in any subject in elementary school, we want to know what they did not “get” and what we, as parents, can do to help our kid learn the material they had trouble with.

Unfortunately, some teachers get very defensive at a parent questioning them about how the parents can help a struggling student. Some have a set routine and style that works with a majority of the kids in their class. They generally leave any that didn’t “catch it” behind and say that those students need help that they don’t have time or training to provide.

It is our experience that if it gets to this stage, it becomes more of a personal mission of the teacher to prove some kind of point to the parents, rather than try to help the student through the difficulty. As a parent, if you start receiving snippy messages from the teacher (especially with a lot of underlining and exclamation points) in response to your queries to a teacher about a missing assignment, bad grade, or extra work, you should evaluate whether the teachers’ messages are meant to help you correct the problem with the material and student or meant to defend the teacher’s grading system or teaching style.

If you feel that it is the latter, you as parents should consider moving your child to another class. We always try to meet face to face with the teacher at this point. Sometimes this sets everything right and communication is smooth the rest of the year. On a few occasions it doesn’t fix the communication problem.

You will realize when it goes too far if the teacher, acting far out of his or her realm of education, tells you that the student in question must have a physical, mental, or behavioral learning problem that is beyond their ability as teachers to deal with or they would otherwise be doing fine in their class. This is the signal that the teacher has absolutely given up on your child and will not waste any more time with this problem.

You know you own child. If he or she has a behavioral problem, you can correct that at home with discipline. If the child needs extra time at home to practice math or reading, you as a parent can help that too, especially if the teacher will work with you (i.e. give you extra handouts, suggest a book or website to use, etc.). As a parent, you probably know if your child has any physical problems as well. Bottom line is that parents can and should help the teachers with their kids’ education- regardless of the response the teacher gives them. Maybe if more parents these days cared about their kids’ education, teachers would be less defensive and more used to working with them.
concerned

Carlsbad, NM

#26 Oct 12, 2012
my issue wasnt even with a teacher but with a secretary that is rude and snippy to me, and aparently other topix users as her name came up from three different people.
i agree with your answer, whole heartedly. if you are willing to talk to the teacher they should be willing to talk to you. if they arent, they have no buisness teaching my child.
if the secretary wont answer a simple question without rolling her eyes, and saying something hateful and rude to a parent who is trying to adress a concern, or even just get their child out of class, that is an issue.
susan should be more directly supervised, given a different position, or terminated all together.
joe

Clovis, NM

#27 Oct 12, 2012
How about becky at joe stanley who is rude n uncontrolable. She is not a good role modile for the school but yet she is a teacher there. What about our children begining around a monster like this.
Miep

Carlsbad, NM

#28 Oct 13, 2012
I think home schooling is underrated. I was horribly bullied in grade school and it was scarring. I learned most of what I know, independent of school.

I think what kids do need is organized group activities that are carefully supervised by the parents so as to teach the kids respect and tolerance of differences, as long as the differences aren't about children being allowed to be abusive. There are many ways to do this, 4-H is a good example.

To do it right, the parents must have time to devote to the project of education. This can't happen when most everybody is stuck with minimum wage jobs.
Big Mama

Carlsbad, NM

#29 Oct 13, 2012
The School board has nothing to do with this, why does everyone always say call the school board,,, there was a time when this post was going on about getting rid of school board. we don't even need them we just spend money on them sending them out of town to so called workshops... cost money our money for what. how much money was lost during the summer because of the school board and Gary P that SB9 money and millions of dollars that our schools will NEVER get back, probably cause the school board and Gary were out of town at meetings having to much fun and forgot all about the money. PLEASE PEOPLE REMEMBER IN FEBRUARY GO OUT THERE AND VOTE NO FOR THE SCHOOL BOND... THEY HAVE BIG PLANS FOR THIS MONEY, an no its not for our kids, i see what they do for my kids, its not about the kid its about them. "they'll say oh look what Gary and the school board did for our kids, our schools, Gary and the school board are promising the teachers all these wonderful ideas so the teachers will all go out an vote yes, but beleive me its a bunch of BS !!
slacker

Hobbs, NM

#30 Oct 15, 2012
Big Mama knows what shes talking about the school board doesnt have as much power as everyone thinks they do and we need to vote no for the school bond in february they have alternative motives with that money
Sad State of Education

Seattle, WA

#31 Feb 2, 2013
I was looking up this very topic because the behavior in the school I serve through an education grant(I'm not employeed by the district, but my offices are in the HS and MS). This grant provides a large amount of funding for preparing students for college, we purchase technology, provide teacher professional development, take field trips, provide supplies to those who don't have any, etc. It's a great program, however, after 7 years of dealing with the teachers and trying to make a lasting impact after the grant is done, I've nearly given up on the teachers and will focus my efforts on the students because they seem to be the only ones who care and want to work to better themselves. The teachers are very rude during training-talking, using phones and ipads, not paying attention, complaining, etc. They want want want, but refuse to spend any time or effort toward planning, implementing or contributing thought toward the activities (science night or field trips, for example) and events we bring to the school, and if the event is being held past 3pm, forget it. That school is empty! Actually, I can see them leaving past my office window at 2:45. Hey, if you insist on everyone else respecting your contracted hours, than maybe you should stick around until your contracted hours are up. If you go into the staff lounge, which I don;t the conversations about students, parents, administration and just about any thing else you could complain about, is just constant. The fact that they are sharing any information about students with those who have no business knowing (if the child is not in their class) is ethically wrong in the first place, but the negative and frankly disgusting way they talk and think about their students makes me wonder why they chose to be teachers in the first place. Do yourself and everyone else a favor and find a new career. You'll obviously be much happier, because it's obvious you're miserable now. And the lack of actual teaching that is occurring in the classroom is appalling. They may lecture for a few minutes, hand the kids some packet or copied fill in the blank sheet, and return to their spot behind their desk for the remaining 40 minutes where they cruise the internet, often looking at sports stats (the coach/teachers, facebook, ebay, etc. I could go on, but you get the idea. The majority of teachers in our school act like they are so picked on. I don't get it. You have 3 months of the year off, a lunch, a prep, you're off at 3, plus you have no accountability because the second an administrator gives you direction on anything, you run screaming to the union and grieve it. Get over yourselves, do your job or get the hell out. So unfortunately, the situation in your school is typical of other schools. I've worked in schools in California and WA and have found the same kinds of garbage in both. One school was the exception and the difference was that as a whole, the staff chose to have a great attitude, they enjoyed their students and supported each other. I don't know what they put in the water there, but if I did, I'd love to put it in the water cooler in our schools. Sorry to go on and on, but I thought you might appreciate an inside view from someone working in schools but in a capacity that allows me a bit of different perspective. Good luck all, and believe your kids when they tell you school sucks. It really does.
Piece of Work

Hobbs, NM

#32 Feb 3, 2013
Sad State of Education wrote:
Ig attention, complaining, etc. They want want want, but refuse to spend any time or effort toward planning, implementing or contributing thought toward the activities (science night or field trips, for example) and events we bring to the school, and if the event is being held past 3pm, forget it. That school is empty! Actually, I can see them leaving past my office window at 2:45obviously be much happier, because it's obvious you're miserable now. And the lack of actual teaching that is occurring in the classroom is appalling. They may lecture for a few minutes, hand the kids some packet or copied fill in the blank sheet, and return to their spot behind their desk for the remaining 40 minutes where they cruise the internet, often looking at sports stats (the coach/teachers, facebook, ebay, etc. I could go on, but you get the idea. The majority of teachers in our school act like they are so picked on. I don't get it. You have 3 months of the year off, a lunch, a prep, you're off at 3, plus you have no accountability because the second an administrator gives you direction on anything, you run screaming to the union and grieve it. Get over yourselves, do your job or get the hell out. So unfortunately, the situation in your school is typical of other schools. I've worked in schools in California and WA and have found the same kinds of garbage in both. One school was the exception and the difference was that as a whole, the staff chose to have a great attitude, they enjoyed their students and supported each other. I don't know what they put in the water there, but if I did, I'd love to put it in the water cooler in our schools. Sorry to go on and on, but I thought you might appreciate an inside view from someone working in schools but in a capacity that allows me a bit of different perspective. Good luck all, and believe your kids when they tell you school sucks. It really does.
You're a piece of work, offering an "inside" perspective to what you think about teachers. Obviously since you are not a teacher you don't understand the reason why they vent in a place they should feel safe from busybody snitchers like you. Most teachers are dedicated, caring people who want their students to succeed. Have you seen a teacher's paycheck? If you have you would know they are not in this profession for the money!! Maybe teachers are "rude" during your training because YOU are not interesting and are riding on grant money that is not benefitting anyone but you and your pockets. You obviously do not know as much as you let on. People like you who think they know it all and have all the answers but have never actually taught one day in their life get what they deserve (yawns and no attention in your know it all meetings) And your comment on lack of instruction in the classroom..are you a fly on every wall in every classroom to make a comment that reflects on a whole profession? I found your entire post offensive and a rue at enticing anger in parents, for what reason I am unsure...Oh wait...maybe its because YOU are the one who feels picked on by TEACHERS because YOU are just a boring know it all. Wish I knew who you were personally so I could understand why you're such a rude person telling lies about teachers on a public forum. You must be a rose colored glasses wearing liberal who thinks all these students are just misunderstood. Going back to the teacher lounge and teachers venting on students and their behaviors, you just don't understand how kids are being raised today. YOu want to know who is rude and disrespectful, look into the eyes of the kids you talk to everyday. FYI they are only paying attention (if you think that's what they are doing) because you're a get out of class free card. Get a life you bitter person!! I will be forwarding this post to the school administration building and I hope your grant gets taken away!
Piece of Work

Hobbs, NM

#33 Feb 3, 2013
Sad State of Education wrote:
I was looking up this very topic because the behavior in the school I serve through an education grant(I'm not employeed by the district, but my offices are in the HS and MS). This grant provides a large amount of funding for preparing students for college, we purchase technology, provide teacher professional development, take field trips, provide supplies to those who don't have any, etc. It's a great program, however, after 7 years of dealing with the teachers and trying to make a lasting impact after the grant is done, I've nearly given up on the teachers and will focus my efforts on the students because they seem to be the only ones who care and want to work to better themselves. The teachers are very rude during training-talking, using phones and ipads, not paying attention, complaining, etc. They want want want, but refuse to spend any time or effort toward planning, implementing or contributing thought toward the activities (science night or field trips, for example) and events we bring to the school, and if the event is being held past 3pm, forget it. That school is empty! Actually, I can see them leaving past my office window at 2:45. Hey, if you insist on everyone else respecting your contracted hours, than maybe you should stick around until your contracted hours are up. If you go into the staff lounge, which I don;t the conversations about students, parents, administration and just about any thing else you could complain about, is just constant. The fact that they are sharing any information about students with those who have no business knowing (if the child is not in their class) is ethically wrong in the first place, but the negative and frankly disgusting way they talk and think about their students makes me wonder why they chose to be teachers in the first place. Do yourself and everyone else a favor and find a new career. You'll obviously be much happier, because it's obvious you're miserable now. And the lack of actual teaching that is occurring in the classroom is appalling. They may lecture for a few minutes, hand the kids some packet or copied fill in the blank sheet, and return to their spot behind their desk for the remaining 40 minutes where they cruise the internet, often looking at sports stats (the coach/teachers, facebook, ebay, etc. I could go on, but you get the idea. The majority of teachers in our school act like they are so picked on. I don't get it. You have 3 months of the year off, a lunch, a prep, you're off at 3, plus you have no accountability because the second an administrator gives you direction on anything, you run screaming to the union and grieve it. Get over yourselves, do your job or get the hell out. So unfortunately, the situation in your school is typical of other schools. I've worked in schools in California and WA and have found the same kinds of garbage in both. One school was the exception and the difference was that as a whole, the staff chose to have a great attitude, they enjoyed their students and supported each other. I don't know what they put in the water there, but if I did, I'd love to put it in the water cooler in our schools. Sorry to go on and on, but I thought you might appreciate an inside view from someone working in schools but in a capacity that allows me a bit of different perspective. Good luck all, and believe your kids when they tell you school sucks. It really does.
You are a traitor and Piece of Work!
que

Carlsbad, NM

#34 Feb 6, 2013
just because they are against another KNOWN problem in our area doesnt mean they are traitors.
george washington was english, he wasnt a traitor for wanting to change things. perhaps you hare too complacent. i am happy to hear someone on the inside looking out, still seeing something wrong.
maybe you should look around at what your doing, and what it was you wanted to be doing when you took the job? you are a looser, and a snob... thinking that its ok to talk about students, at all? even in the "safety" of the teacher lounge. read your ethics, because if you read at a high school level, im sure you will see that practice is banned.
eagles

Carlsbad, NM

#35 Feb 6, 2013
I personally have had several interactions with Ms. McCarthy the pricipal at Monterrey and she is wonderful. Each time I had to speak with her. She called me back and followed up with my with any concerns I had. So I can vouch for her being a great pricipal. My son comes home happy that she takes time out of her busy schedule to go out on the playground play with the kids. Now Ms. Hollen on the other hand. Preaches she teaches the kids 6th grade work yet they are only 5th graders. Also, that hardly anyone makes an A in her class. She needs to be reported...
Parent

Las Cruces, NM

#36 Feb 6, 2013
They want want want, but refuse to spend any time or effort toward planning, implementing or contributing thought toward the activities (science night or field trips, for example) and events we bring to the school, and if the event is being held past 3pm, forget it. That school is empty! Actually, I can see them leaving past my office window at 2:45. Hey, if you insist on everyone else respecting your contracted hours, than maybe you should stick around until your contracted hours are up.
I have to toally disagree with you. I know plenty of teachers at the high school who spend a huge amount of time working with after school groups. My daughters both graduated CHS. I do feel there needs to be huge improvements in the public schools, but I blame that more on No Child Left Behind. Teachers are very limited by NCLB and are intructed to teach to a test not to produce well rounded educated children, those who try are often in trouble. As for running out the door at 2:45 B.S. My girls were in English Expo and all the teacher/sponsors worked their tails off with the group and fund raising all after school and on the weekends. Academic clubs have to beg for money to go on trips. What about the music and theater teachers they do performances and rehearsals after school hours. Dr. Cox was a wonderful science teacher who would open his yard for pranks he had no problem with kids coming by and visiting him and his wife. My girls were also in French Club another club that stayed late and had all kinds of activities off campus during "non-contract" hours.I am sorry why I am not enthralled with the quality of education, I am not sure what you are seeing as I saw something totally different at the high school the last 7 years. Parents are a huge issue I would go to parent teacher conferences at the high school and find that I was one of the few parents on campus.As for college my oldest daughter went on a trip to Cruces to visit the college and she went with teachers.
Sad State of Education

Seattle, WA

#37 Feb 6, 2013
In response to the comments regarding my post, I have my masters degree in education and an educator, so to presume I don't know the issues teachers face, I do. The whole system is messed up, and I understand their frustration. The focus on high stakes testing and assessments has sucked the life out of schools and teachers are made to feel like they are failing the students if the student fails to learn. I work with reluctant learners who aside from actually holding their hand to the paper,refuse to do anything. I sympathize and DO understand. However, there is NO excuse for the rude and just plain unprofessional behavior I've come across in recent years. I will add, however, that not every teacher in the school behaves this way. If I gave that impression, I apologize. The poisonous behavior of the bitter few detract from the school as a whole. Yes, I get it, they did not enter the profession for the money, but I would guess they became educators because at one time they actually liked kids and wanted to teach, but since they obviously cannot stand the profession anymore, they should consider finding something else to do. Everyone would be better off for it, including them. Why burden everyone else with your rotten attitude? Lining my pockets with grant money? lol, sure. I am no trader, I can assure you. I work my tail off for my students-usually the last one out of the building every night. Collaborate with every teacher and have good working relations with them, though it's been frustrating, for the reasons I mentioned. I administer tutoring programs and summer school at the HS and MS; working when everyone else is on vacation. I'm not complaining (or "bitter") I welcome you to forward my post to the school administrators if you really feel compelled to do so. Believe me, they wouldn't read anything they don't already know. The handful of teacher that I was referring to have made it their goal to break our district with constant and frivolous grievances that have made our district a laughing stock and embarrassment. This is not my imagination,a internal email outlining their plan inadvertently went school wide for all to see. Nice, right? Glad you are so satisfied with things at the schools where you are. Wish we could all be as fortunate.
Sad State of Education

Seattle, WA

#38 Feb 6, 2013
One more thing, the professional development that I've brought in for the teachers was by highly regarded and well received professionals. None of whom I'd consider boring. So you're saying it's okay for the teachers to be rude to someone coming in to provide a service to them? Something they are REQUIRED to do to remain in their profession? And whether or not they were "boring" is immaterial. To behave in a way they would NEVER tolerate in their own classroom is not only rude, it's hypocritical. Actually, you should get to know me, I'm a pretty entertaining individual and have a great sense of humor, at least that's what I've been told. ha ha Never mind, I doubt we'd have much in common.
teacher

United States

#39 Feb 7, 2013
I want to know one thing why when a kid is acting out does every school in this town start saying that kid need to ne medicated
Mr Whipple

Artesia, NM

#40 Feb 7, 2013
teacher wrote:
I want to know one thing why when a kid is acting out does every school in this town start saying that kid need to ne medicated
That started when schools began staffing Nurses. Nurses and Councillors are HUGE libs who's wet-dream is to wish all parents into the cornfield like in the movie. That way, they can put their socialism degrees to work and inculcate the resulting orphans into Our Communists Of Torrorrow.

Why do you thing there is a never-ending push for Head-Start? They want to get them little Future Democrats away from anything resembling Mom and Dad and Family for a precious extra few years to inculcate them. It's sooooo much easier to train the masculinity out of little boys at age 3 than later. It's so much easier to coax them into the gay way or disavow anything Ango-Saxon when the little commrade starts it at 3. What better way to groom 'little girl' into preparing for her future goom - the Gub'ment instead of a real man than doing it an extra 2 years early?
Targetof Random lying

Carlsbad, NM

#41 Dec 19, 2013
Has anyone had trouble with the assistant vice-principal/ attendance officer Jacqueline Northcutt? My kids were absent for a very good reason that she was well aware of, but she chose to haul them out of class several times a week threatening to send me to jail if I did not produce a letter from a doctor who is thousands of miles away. I was communicating with the doctor's office, it was just taking some time. She never called me or emailed me, she just went to work traumatizing my kids.The kids were over the limit of unexcused absences without the letter. When I got the letter, she excused those absences, but went back and altered their attendance records to show more than 10 unexcused absences prior to our crisis, so she could have me prosecuted. I never met this witch before in my life, and have no idea why she would do such an outrageous thing. I also was screwed, because how do I prove she changed the reports? Who is going to believe a school official would do such a thing?Why would she? I was wondering if anyone else ever had any problems with her. I don't think she has held this position for more than a few years. I heard she taught at AV before this job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carlsbad Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama to put $10 a barrel oil tax on oil companies 9 hr Aryan-zona 2
Obama, Hillary Supporters are: Sun Mary Kay 2
Obama to buy Sysco trucks Sun reality 4
News Low Gas Prices Hurting State Budget Sun Stuart K 112
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) Feb 4 Richies Cool Man ... 8,738
President Obama Feb 4 Just wondering 10
Marijuana Feb 3 Anonymous 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carlsbad Mortgages