Missing Carlsbad BOA constrictor found

Jun 18, 2012 Full story: KRQE Albuquerque, New Mexico 10

CARLSBAD, N.M. - The 80-pound BOA constrictor that went missing from a Carlsbad home has been found safe and sound.

Full Story
Carlsbad Resident

Carlsbad, NM

#1 Jun 19, 2012
There's no place like home.
Bland Dad

Artesia, NM

#2 Jun 19, 2012
My kid's $500 gift was stolen and we got no help from KRQE in trying to locate it. But reporter Jessica Garate falls all over herself to help out somebody who owns a neighborhood-pet-eater. She flashes her character-assessing skills by highlighting the story of some dude who's comfortable tossing off the name 'Hellboy' in his house.

Heart-warming, Jessica.
WTF

Carlsbad, NM

#3 Jun 20, 2012
People that keep snakes are akin to those that keep rats, mice, lizards, geckos.....weirdos that are only after the attention that weirdness affords them.

Snakes belong in the wild where they eat rats, mice, lizards etc...

Am I glad the snake is home? It won't be until it is back in the jungle.
haha

United States

#4 Jun 20, 2012
Kinda makes you wonder if it mated with any other snakes. Probably no boas in the wild (anymore) but could it have mated with any indigenous and if well have a new breed. Maybe someone knows more about this than I do. I've been wondering...

“Carlsbad, NM”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#5 Jun 20, 2012
What do you mean "found"? My life partner has been with me for the past several weeks. Ooooooops, I guess y'all are talking about a different type of "snake".(blushing)

Ol' KBR's a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad boi!

Bawahahahahahahahaahahahahahah ahahahaha

S.A.D.(I know I do)

NEXT!!
LoL

Carlsbad, NM

#6 Jun 20, 2012
WTF wrote:
People that keep snakes are akin to those that keep rats, mice, lizards, geckos.....weirdos that are only after the attention that weirdness affords them.
Snakes belong in the wild where they eat rats, mice, lizards etc...
Am I glad the snake is home? It won't be until it is back in the jungle.
Well if you ever seen a picture of the owner.. then you would agree on all what you said.
Snake Dawg

Carlsbad, NM

#7 Jun 23, 2012
Squirmy Rooter done found himself a mate.
K0RNBACK RATTLER wrote:
What do you mean "found"? My life partner has been with me for the past several weeks. Ooooooops, I guess y'all are talking about a different type of "snake".(blushing)
Ol' KBR's a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad boi!
Bawahahahahahahahaahahahahahah ahahahaha
S.A.D.(I know I do)
NEXT!!
Carlsbad Resident

Carlsbad, NM

#8 Jun 23, 2012
Umm..nope.
haha wrote:
Kinda makes you wonder if it mated with any other snakes. Probably no boas in the wild (anymore) but could it have mated with any indigenous and if well have a new breed. Maybe someone knows more about this than I do. I've been wondering...
Google Is Your Friend

Carlsbad, NM

#9 Jun 23, 2012
Closest relatives are sand boas. Their range includes the western USA and NW Mexico. They are in a separate subfamily, which is more widely separated than genera but not as much as families.

You get different breeds when you cross conspecifics (members of the same species) in a controlled manner for many generations.

When you cross different species, you get hybrids. When you cross different genera, those are hybrids too. Generally you don't get this happening under free range conditions. Sometimes hybrids between different species are fertile.

Hybrids between different genera have been reported in captive breeding conditions. These are much less likely to be fertile.

So no, I would not worry about giant rattlesnake constrictors arising as a result of this escape. This is a mere nothing. South Florida is where exotics escaping is really out of control. They have swamps full of giant pythons and all sorts of other released critters.

I don't think we have sand boas here.
haha wrote:
Kinda makes you wonder if it mated with any other snakes. Probably no boas in the wild (anymore) but could it have mated with any indigenous and if well have a new breed. Maybe someone knows more about this than I do. I've been wondering...
Bored Again

Carlsbad, NM

#10 Jun 23, 2012
Google Is Your Friend wrote:
Closest relatives are sand boas. Their range includes the western USA and NW Mexico. They are in a separate subfamily, which is more widely separated than genera but not as much as families.
You get different breeds when you cross conspecifics (members of the same species) in a controlled manner for many generations.
When you cross different species, you get hybrids. When you cross different genera, those are hybrids too. Generally you don't get this happening under free range conditions. Sometimes hybrids between different species are fertile.
Hybrids between different genera have been reported in captive breeding conditions. These are much less likely to be fertile.
So no, I would not worry about giant rattlesnake constrictors arising as a result of this escape. This is a mere nothing. South Florida is where exotics escaping is really out of control. They have swamps full of giant pythons and all sorts of other released critters.
I don't think we have sand boas here.
<quoted text>
Ah, you missed a perfect chance to provide us with some entertainment. You could've twisted that around a bit to suggest there are now man eating rattlesnakes in Carlsbad. Listening to the uneducated paranoia would have been monumentally amusing !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carlsbad Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Easy Breezy Vapez (May '14) 2 hr auntie728 7
Sorry to See Dr Pearson Leave NM 20 hr curious 1
Carlsbad students protest PARCC test 23 hr LOL 1
Alan Dershowitz Admits He Tried To Cover Up Woo... (Feb '14) 23 hr biodiversity good 7
Carlsbad fifth-grader is region's best speller Sun kudos 2
Carlsbad police watching for 'graffiti gang' ha... (Oct '11) Sat sock1 27
Italian Villa Ristorante ready to expand to Cas... Sat Carlsbad Resident 12
Carlsbad Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Carlsbad People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:11 pm PST

CBS Sports 8:11PM
Cowboys will franchise tag Dez Bryant: 5 things to know
Bleacher Report11:36 PM
Cowboys' Blueprint for Winning Free Agency
Bleacher Report10:08 AM
Report: Cardinals Offer Dockett 1-Year Deal
NFL10:45 AM
Dallas Cowboys franchise tag Dez Bryant
ESPN11:02 AM
Source: Dez officially franchised by Cowboys