of 4
Next Last

Since: Jun 10

Artesia, NM

#61 Apr 14, 2011
fight for the truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I just love swinging balls!
so childish to pretend you're someone else and to make idiotic comments under their name...sad, very very sad
Aristotle

Carlsbad, NM

#62 Apr 15, 2011
The Wanderer wrote:
Heard from one of the construction workers at Lowes that they are going to build a super target right across the street? Has anyone heard of this?
Possible,...as nationally Target has been eating into Wal Mart's sales and has been growing very strongly. As for the Lowes, they recognized a housing shortage in the area and expect for home building to take a sharp increase. They are betting on a lot of new construction over the next 10 years to support their business.

Olive Garden is the sister concept to Red Lobster and owned by Darden Restaurants. I can tell you with absolute confidence that Darden is in no way interested in building a restaurant in the Carlsbad area. Darden keeps a market floor of over 4.5 million in sales a year. Carlsbad cannot possibly support this.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Nietzsche

Carlsbad, NM

#63 Apr 15, 2011
hopefloats wrote:
We are a bitty town of what 28,000 with some high paying jobs sure, but not the majority. It's all about the bottom dollar and no chain will come where they have to build to suit their needs and start a store in a down economy already...
You should check your facts. Carlsbad and its surrounding area (within 15 minutes) has right over 40,000 people, according to the 2010 census. The economy in Carlsbad and Eddy County in general is BOOMING with oil and gas, potash, and WIPP. Has been so for the past four years. Carlsbad has the lowest average unemployment over the past 26 months than any area in Arizona, New Mexico or west Texas. Carlsbad also has the second highest median household income in the state. Lowe's and others are coming here because Carlsbad is kicking butt economically...period. While we have a ways to go to pull in Olive Garden's and Dillards, we ARE being noticed. That's a good thing. Gotta learn to walk before you learn to run...

Artesia, NM

#64 Apr 15, 2011
Nietzsche wrote:
<quoted text>
You should check your facts. Carlsbad and its surrounding area (within 15 minutes) has right over 40,000 people, according to the 2010 census. The economy in Carlsbad and Eddy County in general is BOOMING with oil and gas, potash, and WIPP. Has been so for the past four years. Carlsbad has the lowest average unemployment over the past 26 months than any area in Arizona, New Mexico or west Texas. Carlsbad also has the second highest median household income in the state. Lowe's and others are coming here because Carlsbad is kicking butt economically...period. While we have a ways to go to pull in Olive Garden's and Dillards, we ARE being noticed. That's a good thing. Gotta learn to walk before you learn to run...
I'm not contradicting you but where did you get your data from? I'm curious
CBAD

San Antonio, TX

#65 Apr 16, 2011
YAAH
Aristotle

Carlsbad, NM

#66 Apr 18, 2011
<quoted text>
The only publicly available census data shows Carlsbad itself at 25,410 residents and Eddy County at 52,706. Eddy County shows a median household income of $43,784 which is just slightly above the average for the state. As a whole Eddy County accounted for $51,064,000 in taxable Accommodation and foodservices sales in 2002. As I stated before, these numbers are nowhere near where they need to be to garner the attention of the larger food service concepts.

This in itself is not a bad thing as it shows the open possibility of resident owned restaurants having the possibility to thrive. My experience thus far of the locally owned restaurants has been far from par though.

"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
CDOD

Carlsbad, NM

#67 Apr 18, 2011
Nietzsche wrote:
<quoted text>
You are almost correct, Nietzsche.

Carlsbad is second to Clovis/Portales Area with respect to unemployment rates from January 2008 to present in all industrial cities (over 30K) from west Texas to NM to Arizona.

The CDOD does keep a database and here is the actual data:
Industrial City (over 30K Population) in west TX, NM, & AZ and Unemployment percent:
Clovis/Portales, NM 4.5%
Carlsbad, NM 4.9%
Amarillo, TX 4.9%
Lubbock Metro, TX 5.1%
Abilene, TX 5.5%
Midland/Odessa Metro, TX 5.7%
San Angelo 5.8%
Santa Fe, NM 5.8%
Hobbs, NM 6.1%
Alamogordo, NM 6.2%
Roswell, NM 6.4%
Las Cruces Metro, NM 6.8%
Albuquerque Metro, NM 7.0%
Farmington Metro, NM 7.2%
Flagstaff, AZ 7.2%
Tuscon, AZ 7.6%
Phoenix Metro, AZ 7.6%
Laredo, TX 7.7%
El Paso Metro, TX 8.5%
Prescott, AZ 8.6%
Kingman, AZ 9.6%
Yuma, AZ 21.3%

Population Data: Within 15 minutes of Carlsbad shows a population of 40,406 (2010 US Census).

Median Household Income: Carlsbad is Second Highest in State (Los Alamos County #1) accding to UNM's BBER and NM Dept. of Workforce Sol'ns.

Again, if anyone needs stats on Carlsbad or Eddy County, check the CDOD website at www.DevelopCarlsbad.org or call us at 8 8 7 - 6 5 6 2.
CDOD

Carlsbad, NM

#68 Apr 18, 2011
Those are the 26-month average unemployment percentages for each city area listed.
fight for the truth

Hobbs, NM

#69 Apr 18, 2011
CDOD wrote:
<quoted text>
Carlsbad is second to Clovis/Portales Area with respect to unemployment rates from January 2008 to present in all industrial cities (over 30K) from west Texas to NM to Arizona.
Industrial City (over 30K Population) in west TX, NM, & AZ and Unemployment percent:
Clovis/Portales, NM 4.5%
Carlsbad, NM 4.9%
Amarillo, TX 4.9%
Lubbock Metro, TX 5.1%
Abilene, TX 5.5%
San Angelo 5.8%
Santa Fe, NM 5.8%
Hobbs, NM 6.1%
Alamogordo, NM 6.2%
Roswell, NM 6.4%
Flagstaff, AZ 7.2%
Tuscon, AZ 7.6%
Phoenix Metro, AZ 7.6%
Laredo, TX 7.7%
El Paso Metro, TX 8.5%
Prescott, AZ 8.6%
Kingman, AZ 9.6%
Yuma, AZ 21.3%
Population Data: Within 15 minutes of Carlsbad shows a population of 40,406 (2010 US Census).
Median Household Income: Carlsbad is Second Highest in State (Los Alamos County #1) accding to UNM's BBER and NM Dept. of Workforce Sol'ns.
Again, if anyone needs stats on Carlsbad or Eddy County, check the CDOD website at www.DevelopCarlsbad.org or call us at 8 8 7 - 6 5 6 2.
Unemployment rate could be linked to the fact that there are less jobs here that are full time and decent paying...people in many cases people don't stay at a job long enough to get unemployment! So where are all these full-time decent paying jobs here in Carlsbad that is causing the "Carlsbad boom?" Open your eyes and see how Hobbs is growing as is Roswell, but where is the growth here? When Carlsbad has many good paying full time jobs to offer people then maybe we will start a boom!

Artesia, NM

#70 Apr 18, 2011
CDOD wrote:
<quoted text>
Clovis/Portales, NM 4.5%
Carlsbad, NM 4.9%
Amarillo, TX 4.9%
Lubbock Metro, TX 5.1%
Abilene, TX 5.5%
San Angelo 5.8%
Santa Fe, NM 5.8%
Hobbs, NM 6.1%
Alamogordo, NM 6.2%
Roswell, NM 6.4%
Flagstaff, AZ 7.2%
Tuscon, AZ 7.6%
Phoenix Metro, AZ 7.6%
Laredo, TX 7.7%
El Paso Metro, TX 8.5%
Prescott, AZ 8.6%
Kingman, AZ 9.6%
Yuma, AZ 21.3%
Thanks for posting your source, finally someone who isn't just spouting off random "facts"!
CDOD

Carlsbad, NM

#71 Apr 19, 2011
<quoted text>
Unemployment rate could be linked to the fact that there are less jobs here that are full time and decent paying...When Carlsbad has many good paying full time jobs to offer people then maybe we will start a boom!
That is not a fact. There are open jobs all over in Carlsbad. Look at the NM Department of Workforce solutions website: http://www.jobs.state.nm.us/jobbanks/default.... )(cut and paste address into top box of internet explorer). There are over 740 jobs open in Carlsbad and over 1,000 if you open it up to the entire county. There are 67 positions alone open at the hospital, many open at the potash mines and a whole bunch open in the oil/gas industry. All of these are good-paying jobs. There are many jobs in the service industries that range from minimum to high paying wages.

Our biggest problem is that the local housing industry cannot get through the national financing problem. Nobody can get financing for housing or apartment developments ANYWHERE. This is hurting us b/c we cannot get people's feet in the door here. The apartment complexes in town are all filled and have long waiting lists. It isn't great to come to a new town and have to stay in a hotel for 6-9 months while you wait for a rental. It is even harder if you have a family.

Artesia, NM

#72 Apr 19, 2011
I'm a firm believer that if you really want to work there are jobs available. Housing has always been an issue here, taxes have always been around, gas goes up and down, these things aren't new. The problem here is, and has been, the lack of people who want to actually work. I'm always amazed by the laziness and lack of pride people have in their jobs. No matter what I do I try to do it to the best of my ability, whether it's cleaning toilets or writing reports. You should always show pride in your job! If you hate your job to the point where you just can't achieve this, then look for another that is better suited for you. I hate getting that waitress who acts like you're bothering them, with an attitude that they couldn't care less if they were there or not. If you work at Allsups then be the best employee they have and for God's sake smile! It doesn't matter where you work but if you work hard you will get rewarded. I've been promoted at every single job I've ever had because I work hard and take pride in myself. Just my two cents :)
CDOD

Carlsbad, NM

#73 Apr 20, 2011
Agree 100% about the pride in work issue. That is why housing is THE issue for us. As our unemployment in pretty low, the number of quality employees available out there is shrinking. Many of the companies both here and outside looking in at us need to bring in new blood from outside. They cannot do that without housing to get their people settled here. That way they can wait for a house to be built or open up on the market while living in a place that does not seem so temporary.
Disagree

Hobbs, NM

#74 Apr 20, 2011
CDOD wrote:
Agree 100% about the pride in work issue. That is why housing is THE issue for us. As our unemployment in pretty low, the number of quality employees available out there is shrinking. Many of the companies both here and outside looking in at us need to bring in new blood from outside. They cannot do that without housing to get their people settled here. That way they can wait for a house to be built or open up on the market while living in a place that does not seem so temporary.
I'm 27, good education as does my wife, and we both cannot find good paying jobs here in Carlsbad. It seems that you have to know someone or be a local. I know of people in higher positions without the proper educational background or even a high school diploma! We're moving to Midland in a few weeks. Another thing, the school system in Carlsbad isn't the greatest and people with kids, like myself, look at that as a serious issue when contemplating a move. Finding housing hasn't been too difficult, but another negative about Carlsbad is the lack of a social life. On weekends we had to go out of town to find something enjoyable to do. We are also lacking quality places to shop and dine in here as well. Carlsbad is limited in more than just a lack of housing.
zippy

Carlsbad, NM

#75 Apr 20, 2011
<quoted text>
Isn't one of the new hotels owned by the Forrest family?
And that sucks the big one!
sunshine

Dumas, TX

#76 Jul 12, 2011
co za asy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh you mean the "Taco Shack" yeah they speak broken English im sure there 100% illegal with fake ID's but i haven't ate there yet.
why do you have to be so mean didn't you know the best food is mexican and they are the best cooks the best reciepes comes from mexico so eat that...

Artesia, NM

#77 Jul 14, 2011
Disagree wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm 27, good education as does my wife, and we both cannot find good paying jobs here in Carlsbad. It seems that you have to know someone or be a local. I know of people in higher positions without the proper educational background or even a high school diploma! We're moving to Midland in a few weeks. Another thing, the school system in Carlsbad isn't the greatest and people with kids, like myself, look at that as a serious issue when contemplating a move. Finding housing hasn't been too difficult, but another negative about Carlsbad is the lack of a social life. On weekends we had to go out of town to find something enjoyable to do. We are also lacking quality places to shop and dine in here as well. Carlsbad is limited in more than just a lack of housing.
Well I must say, if our school system is so bad then why did my son make a 33 on his ACT and passed all of his AP tests? Maybe your child is the problem :)
US Census 2010

Carlsbad, NM

#78 Jul 15, 2011
<quoted text>
It's on the census bureau and labor department wesites for the state and feds.
concerned

Bellevue, WA

#79 Oct 9, 2012
arbys is not ran right the employees look sloppy and dirty the assistant manager is not in control and letting them smoke weed and not get orders right. or something going on arbys is not clean and have lost my food or gave it to someone else. not friendly and no tranning going on at all
Miep

Carlsbad, NM

#80 Oct 9, 2012
Housing is the problem here, not jobs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carlsbad Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Intrepid incentive plan gears employees away fr... 2 hr pauli 1
Pregnancy and Carlsbad High School 88220 13 hr None of your busi... 6
Things I Trust More than Hillary clinton Sat Jakeco 3
brotherhood of the 74 (Jul '12) Sat joker 25
Carlsbad cavegirls Sat Cavegirls fan 1
5th wheel camper trailer for sale Fri sam 1
NM Senators owned by radical Santa Fe environme... Fri Jakeco 2
More from around the web

Carlsbad People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE