Carlsbad residents react to WIPP leak

Mar 1, 2014 Full story: KOAT-TV 49

LEAK AT WIPP... HASN'T BEEN FIXED YET. BUT OFFICIALS SAY THEY'RE GOING BACK INTO THE MINE TO FIND THE PROBLEM.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Feb 14

Finland

#1 Mar 1, 2014
Collected all I could found on this subject. Does not look good: http://justpaste.it/ejs9

Since: Apr 12

Carlsbad, NM

#2 Mar 1, 2014
BS right off the start. Is not a "nuclear warhead bunker". More misinformation and fear mongering.
Chill

Hobbs, NM

#3 Mar 1, 2014
What was the dpm - up to 4.4? The labs are allowed to dispose of 4 dpm alpha and below in the normal trash. Static can give higher readings.
Carlsbadabian

Carlsbad, NM

#4 Mar 2, 2014
Gaikokujin wrote:
Collected all I could found on this subject. Does not look good: http://justpaste.it/ejs9
So you collected "all you could find on this subject" and "all you could find" was this inaccurate, mis-leading and sensationalist piece of crap!?

Finland?!!?!

WTF is wrong with you?!?
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

#5 Mar 2, 2014
Chill wrote:
What was the dpm - up to 4.4? The labs are allowed to dispose of 4 dpm alpha and below in the normal trash. Static can give higher readings.
Th aktors at th Oskars brag about waring rsykl clothing?
Jsus maks vrything nw.
Why mak th mxikns go thru your trash?
or th mxikans stor nuklar wast?
Burn th trash an it will blow up.
You Would Think

Carlsbad, NM

#6 Mar 9, 2014
Transuranic waste = Defined by the WIPP Land Withdrawal Act as "waste containing more than 100 nanocuries of alpha-emitting transuranic isotopes per gram of waste with half-lives greater than 20 years, except for (A) high-level radioactive waste,(B) waste that the Secretary of Energy has determined, with concurrence of the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, does not need the degree of isolation required by the disposal regulations, or (C) waste that the Nuclear Regulatory Commission has approved for disposal on a case-by-case basis in accordance with part 61 of title 10 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)."

Source: http://energy.gov/em/services/waste-managemen...
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

#7 Mar 9, 2014
You Would Think wrote:
Transuranic waste = Defined by the WIPP Land Withdrawal Act as "waste containing more than 100 nanocuries of alpha-emitting transuranic isotopes per gram of waste with half-lives greater than 20 years, except for (A) high-level radioactive waste,(B) waste that the Secretary of Energy has determined, with concurrence of the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, does not need the degree of isolation required by the disposal regulations, or (C) waste that the Nuclear Regulatory Commission has approved for disposal on a case-by-case basis in accordance with part 61 of title 10 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)."
Source: http://energy.gov/em/services/waste-managemen...
Th truth.
Footsors r Jsus ' wouns from His ft.
Amputation is a li.
Astigmatism is th stigmata.
Night swts r from His suffering.
Alpha & Omga.

Carlsbad, NM

#8 Mar 10, 2014
Forum wrote:
<quoted text>
Th truth.
Footsors r Jsus ' wouns from His ft.
Amputation is a li.
Astigmatism is th stigmata.
Night swts r from His suffering.
Alpha & Omga.
I have noticed that the "E" key on your keyboard does not work. Please buy a new keyboard.
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

#9 Mar 12, 2014
_Aristotle_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I have noticed that the "E" key on your keyboard does not work. Please buy a new keyboard.
3 lttrs r missing.

Carlsbad, NM

#10 Mar 13, 2014
Forum wrote:
<quoted text>
3 lttrs r missing.
I would happily buy you a new keyboard if it would make your posts decipherable. Just tell me where to send it.
DEETER

Carlsbad, NM

#11 Mar 26, 2014
0.3 millirems of contamination. the dose rate of this would be a person, having contact with the particle for 25 years then they would get 0.3 millirems of dose. so the next time you go get an x-ray which has 25 millirems of dose instantly then maybe you all will understand. the only reason this event is a big deal is because the DOE and NWP are being as transparent as possible with the community. Nothing reached Carlsbad, it has been maintained on the 16 square section of the WIPP site. Back ground radiation for this area is like 500 millirem a year, actually I think a little more. Have a nice day.
bubba

United States

#12 Apr 26, 2014
They did hide the fact that radiation leaked for 20 days. They did not tell people down wind to take precautions. Plutonium blowing with dust does not compare with background radiation. Breathing one hot particle is serious. If it was not dangerous why bury deep under ground? Very dangerous. Plutonium causes cancer, birth defects along with many other health issues. I would move.

Since: Feb 09

Carlsbad, NM

#13 Apr 26, 2014
bubba wrote:
They did hide the fact that radiation leaked for 20 days. They did not tell people down wind to take precautions. Plutonium blowing with dust does not compare with background radiation. Breathing one hot particle is serious. If it was not dangerous why bury deep under ground? Very dangerous. Plutonium causes cancer, birth defects along with many other health issues. I would move.
i got an idea...how about we take all this contaminated waste to new orleans and bury it there somewhere.......out of the land of enchantment....but the stuff here is not plutonium....plutonium is a very refined high quality uranium.....thats why most countrys dont have it yet....really hard to make it.....its more valuable than gold....so it wouldnt be buried but sold.....they just bury waste....nothing valuable....but i see you probably already knew that with your extensive knowledge on scientific stuff huh?!!!....
THE GREEN WATCH DOG

Oklahoma City, OK

#14 Apr 26, 2014
bubba wrote:
That is what people in other states understand from the credible news reports like the CBS Evening News. The DOE has issued a 300 page report and has found very serious problems. Lack of maintenance, with antiquated equipment is just one of the report's findings. What amazes me is they still don't know where the source of the radioactive leak is!! What the clowns who run this operations need to do is dress up in their clown suits and start pumping a slurry of salt mixed with shredded lead and seal this hole up for good. We plan to travel through Carlsbad this summer and I will stop by. I better see some clowns out there with hoses pumping down this slurry.
Anchorman

Carlsbad, NM

#15 Apr 26, 2014
"That is what people in other states understand from the credible news reports like the CBS Evening News."

With Dan Blather no doubt.
bubba

San Antonio, TX

#16 Apr 29, 2014
ellvis wrote:
<quoted text>i got an idea...how about we take all this contaminated waste to new orleans and bury it there somewhere.......out of the land of enchantment....but the stuff here is not plutonium....plutonium is a very refined high quality uranium.....thats why most countrys dont have it yet....really hard to make it.....its more valuable than gold....so it wouldnt be buried but sold.....they just bury waste....nothing valuable....but i see you probably already knew that with your extensive knowledge on scientific stuff huh?!!!....
04/25/2014
12:18 pm
Twingly - carlsbad nm wipp
Web site view

THE NUCLEAR EMERGENCY TRACKING CENTER SHOWS ABOVE "NORMAL"RADIATION LEVELS TODAY AT THE CARLSBAD, NEW MEXICO AREA, AS WELL AS CITIES SOME DISTANCE FROM THE WIPP FACILITY THAT IS STILL LEAKING RADIOACTIVE WASTE [BECAUSE THE SOURCE OF THE LEAKS ARE STILL NOT FOUND NOR HAS CLEANUP BEGUN]. THESE ARE SUMMARIES OF TODAY'S READINGS, HIGHS/LOWS. 201 CPM NETC.COM © 2014 Station ID 5:635 Carlsbad, NM, US CPM: current 201 Low 123 High 290 Average 163, Deviation 27.2 (CPM of Gamma in energy range 600-800keV) Last updated: 2014-04-25 12:24:00 GMT+0000 414 CPM NETC.COM © 2014 Station ID 5:637 South Valley, NM, US CPM: current 414 Low 251 High 548 Average 319, Deviation 41.6 (CPM of Gamma in energy range 600-800keV) Last updated: 2014-04-25 12:20:00 GMT+0000 278 CPM NETC.COM © 2014 Station ID 5:621 San Angelo, TX, US CPM: current 278 Low 125 High 403 Average 188, Deviation 37.8 (CPM of Gamma in energy range 600-800keV) Last updated: 2014-04-25 08:10:00 GMT+0000 New tests show plutonium reached millions of times "normal" levels at WIPP site
The Hulk

Carlsbad, NM

#17 Apr 29, 2014
bubba wrote:
<quoted text> 04/25/2014
12:18 pm
Twingly - carlsbad nm wipp
Web site view
THE NUCLEAR EMERGENCY TRACKING CENTER SHOWS ABOVE "NORMAL"RADIATION LEVELS TODAY AT THE CARLSBAD, NEW MEXICO AREA, AS WELL AS CITIES SOME DISTANCE FROM THE WIPP FACILITY THAT IS STILL LEAKING RADIOACTIVE WASTE [BECAUSE THE SOURCE OF THE LEAKS ARE STILL NOT FOUND NOR HAS CLEANUP BEGUN]. THESE ARE SUMMARIES OF TODAY'S READINGS, HIGHS/LOWS. 201 CPM NETC.COM © 2014 Station ID 5:635 Carlsbad, NM, US CPM: current 201 Low 123 High 290 Average 163, Deviation 27.2 (CPM of Gamma in energy range 600-800keV) Last updated: 2014-04-25 12:24:00 GMT+0000 414 CPM NETC.COM © 2014 Station ID 5:637 South Valley, NM, US CPM: current 414 Low 251 High 548 Average 319, Deviation 41.6 (CPM of Gamma in energy range 600-800keV) Last updated: 2014-04-25 12:20:00 GMT+0000 278 CPM NETC.COM © 2014 Station ID 5:621 San Angelo, TX, US CPM: current 278 Low 125 High 403 Average 188, Deviation 37.8 (CPM of Gamma in energy range 600-800keV) Last updated: 2014-04-25 08:10:00 GMT+0000 New tests show plutonium reached millions of times "normal" levels at WIPP site
"The name “Nuclear Emergency Tracking Center” sounds a lot like a government regulatory body. It’s so incredibly the opposite of that. The website is a slapped together map of the supposed radiation levels at nuclear sites around the world. It’s got no indication where it’s getting its information or what it means, but it does have a fee based service that will alert you to radiation spikes anywhere in the world. And Bible quotes. "

Nice try. Had me going there for a minute! Ha!
THE GREEN WATCH DOG

Oklahoma City, OK

#18 Apr 29, 2014
Bubba Thank you for sharing the vital information to this web site. As I have voiced concerns many times, there are real life Clowns that live in your area and work at WHIP.They think radioactive means the music is too loud on their radio. This is how they have addressed this problem so far. They all got together one day recently and turned down the knobs on their radios.

Carlsbad, NM

#19 Apr 29, 2014
The Hulk wrote:
<quoted text>
"The name “Nuclear Emergency Tracking Center” sounds a lot like a government regulatory body. It’s so incredibly the opposite of that. The website is a slapped together map of the supposed radiation levels at nuclear sites around the world. It’s got no indication where it’s getting its information or what it means, but it does have a fee based service that will alert you to radiation spikes anywhere in the world. And Bible quotes. "
Nice try. Had me going there for a minute! Ha!
It is a scam site trying to wrangle $20 a pop from people wearing tin foil hats.
bubba

Fort Worth, TX

#20 Apr 29, 2014
Nuclear Emergency Tracking Center is sure official sounding. I guess you have to have a name. I went and checked it out a little. It is people from around North America with Geiger counters hooked to the internet. Anyone with a good geiger counter can connect and join. Volunteers to share what the levels are at their location on a 24 /7 time line. Over time they can see what the normal background radiation is for each location. Their alerts are when there is a spike of a certain % I personally do not trust any government or the nuclear industry for timely information. They always say it is safe, like eating a banana, or licking iPhone charger, a cross country flight.. I welcome grass root monitoring . I am all for burying the waste but they can not let it leak out. Start clean, stay clean. Not any more for the WIPP site. How will they be able to work down there? They will have to find a new location and start over. I wish the best for the people that live and work there. Stay safe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carlsbad Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Carlsbad sheriff arrested Lisa springer 17 hr lima 13
chilis 18 hr gretchen 2
truck by pass 18 hr henry c 8
President Obama's Immigration Plan 18 hr henry c 2
Black Man Cuts off Head of White Woman in Oklahoma 18 hr henry c 15
Rude Carlsbad Police Officers 18 hr freddie 4
meth labs 19 hr Carlsbad Resident 3
Carlsbad Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Carlsbad People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Carlsbad News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Carlsbad

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:50 am PST

NBC Sports 2:50AM
Cowboys bang MVP drum for Tony Romo
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Dez Giving Cowboys Unstoppable Element for Playoff Run
Bleacher Report 4:46 AM
Can Hamilton Fix Colts Offense for Playoff Run?
Yahoo! Sports 7:08 AM
Christmas comes early for Cowboys fans (NFL in 90)
NBC Sports 7:42 AM
Cards have accounted for big Fitzgerald number, want to keep him