Will the real Billerica please stand up?

Will the real Billerica please stand up?

There are 21 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Jun 21, 2009, titled Will the real Billerica please stand up?. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

From dimly lit barrooms to antiseptic municipal buildings, you can hear dozens of descriptions of Billerica.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Wouldntwanttoliv ethere

Woburn, MA

#1 Jun 21, 2009
It's a whole in the wall and always will be.
amused

Tewksbury, MA

#2 Jun 21, 2009
Um, you mean "hole", right? LOL I hope you're not an example of Billerica Public Schools.
Billerica-is-ver y-cool

Arlington, MA

#3 Jun 21, 2009
I don't live in Billerica, but there are many things about the town I enjoy and I spend a lot of time there. The green in the center of town is one of the prettiest in this area, and the public library is terrific. The Yankee Homecoming event is always fun, and I have enjoyed visiting the Middlesex Canal Museum. Last week I attended two events at the Locke Middle School and was very impressed with the students and the teachers there. The school is obviously well cared for and the faculty seem dedicated to their students' success. And, for the record, the Wendy's in Billerica is definitely better than the one in Burlington.
Disgusted in Billerica

Nutting Lake, MA

#4 Jun 21, 2009
Great go to the biggest low life Townie bar you can find and ask them about Billerica. You hear about how great Home Depot will be so they can buy their roofing nails and shingles closer tio home. Why don't you stop in next at MAC II's and ask their teenage sons (and maybe daughters) about Billerica.
Billericaman
#5 Jun 21, 2009
If you don't like Billerica, then move. The town consists of more than just the bars and a strip joint. I took a $30,000 per year pay cut to move back to Billerica. The reason is the quality of life in Billerica is second to none.
Disgusted in Billerica wrote:
Great go to the biggest low life Townie bar you can find and ask them about Billerica. You hear about how great Home Depot will be so they can buy their roofing nails and shingles closer tio home. Why don't you stop in next at MAC II's and ask their teenage sons (and maybe daughters) about Billerica.
Billerica has changed

Tewksbury, MA

#6 Jun 21, 2009
I grew up in Billerica and I use to be proud to say that. In the past few years every time I go to Billerica it shocks me to see how much the town has changed, not all for the good and not all bad either. The Mall has gone to hell in a hand basket and instead of allowing it to be improved so many are fighting it. I have a hard time wrapping my head around someone preferring to see the eyesore that sits in the town center then having businesses that will improve the overall appearance of the area as well as bring in much needed revenue. Billerica has lost it's small town feeling and the Billerica pride that many of us had.
Richard MacKay

Billerica, MA

#7 Jun 21, 2009
In 1953 my parents moved to Billerica with my five ciblings, I was 12 and I am now 68. Yes there are a lought of things that need to be done in town but look at the things that have been done. When we moved here it was a cow town. I wish it still was. We all had a good education and good friends. I think half of the people in town are not aware of the history Billerica has and the role it played in  the american revolution. I am in that picture of the Billerica Minutemen company, and also a board member of the Historical Society. As far as the homes in Billrerica, I own a historical farm house and barn with a nice parcell of land and the most beautiful sun sets in the world. I love Billerica, and it bothers me when it is bad mouthed. If you can't find nice things to say or see, dont look or speak, and we who love Billerica will like you more for it.
Mall

Howell, MI

#8 Jun 21, 2009
I love how everyone talks about the mall as though it is town property. The town does not own it and can not fix it up. It is up to the owners and their only choice is Home Depot.

Well Home Depot does not seem to be the right fit due to traffic according to groups and the planning board. So the owners will keep it an eyesore to force their way. If the taxpayers want it fixed so bad, then put a Prop 2 1/2 override on the ballot so the town can buy it. My bet is it would not pass.
pathetically speaking

Tewksbury, MA

#9 Jun 21, 2009
I especially love the irony in the comment by Mr. Perry-Reef,("gay activist") when he talks about Billerica townies and "the support his family received from the community during this difficult time was overwhelming".
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the same guy who, not two weeks ago, when he wanted a gay pride day, complained in the Lowell Sun that he gets called names like "queer" at least twice a week when he walks down the streets of Billerica? Either he is very forgiving, a liar or a hypocrite. Give me a break, Mr Perry-Reef!
pathetically speaking

Tewksbury, MA

#12 Jun 21, 2009
Wouldntwanttolivethere wrote:
It's a whole in the wall and always will be.
Why should you care if you don't live here? Do you think you're better because you live in North Reading? There's trash there, too. So shut up.
kara

Dracut, MA

#13 Jun 21, 2009
pathetically speaking wrote:
I especially love the irony in the comment by Mr. Perry-Reef,("gay activist") when he talks about Billerica townies and "the support his family received from the community during this difficult time was overwhelming".
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the same guy who, not two weeks ago, when he wanted a gay pride day, complained in the Lowell Sun that he gets called names like " **** " at least twice a week when he walks down the streets of Billerica? Either he is very forgiving, a liar or a hypocrite. Give me a break, Mr Perry-Reef!
now why did you have to do that? sure, throw a gay factor statement in there. real great jack ass
Open Your Eyes

Tyngsboro, MA

#14 Jun 21, 2009
Disgusted in Billerica wrote:
Great go to the biggest low life Townie bar you can find and ask them about Billerica. You hear about how great Home Depot will be so they can buy their roofing nails and shingles closer tio home. Why don't you stop in next at MAC II's and ask their teenage sons (and maybe daughters) about Billerica.
“low life townie bar” sounds like you do not know crap about Billerica, and if you weren’t such a skittish little chump you may find you would like some of what you call lowlife townies.

Maybe you should take your sterile little butt and move to a place that you feel is more upscale so you can hang out with a better class of losers.

Maybe you should have also raised your teenage sons and daughters better if you didn’t want them to hang around at MAC’s II or be dancing there.

Just because it is there doesn’t mean you have to patronize the establishment. You can always move to Andover where a so-called strip joint will be opening soon.
I Love Billerica

Windsor, CT

#15 Jun 22, 2009
I love Billerica!!!! Go Indians! Screw the haters :)
seriously

Boston, MA

#16 Jun 22, 2009
"Billericaman" sorry to hear you got laid off... I just recently moved from Billerica because of its backwoods politics. The townie woman are "cheap" and the men are "drunks" the reporter went straight to the right place. He probably found all the town workers, fire fighters, and fake cops there on their two hour breaks. Yes Billerica is a nice place to visit but live there UGH...
Joey

Northborough, MA

#17 Jun 22, 2009
People of Billerica needs to work together and use the Master Plan that was written many years ago. To many other special interest agendas going on.
420 hitman

Amherst, NH

#18 Jun 22, 2009
fact is.... i grew up in billerica. lived in pinehurst known as crimehurst back then, shewsheen estates known as high income, and kenmar known as white trash. what have i learned? that billerica residents dont want big companies on their roads. want a mall? go to burlington or nashua. want a quiet place to live with nice residents? live in billerica. my only problem is, the same problem all local towns face now. when i was in highschool it was pot and beer. now its heroin and oxycontin. wake up people. not much curb appeal when a lot of kids are a mess on these new trends. that should be your focus
Oliver

Lexington, MA

#19 Jun 22, 2009
I've been a resident of Billerica for about 18 years, I do agree with Mr Williams on a number of issues, the Town representatives never seem to noticed the degree of neglect and lack of esthetics that the town has fallen into. Many homes display old unresgistered cars, trash, old tires, improvised garages in front of a residence facing route 3A. Pinehurst area in particular needs lots of attention. During the years I've resided in Billerica nothing visible has been done by the town to improve or enforce some rules on the residents and beautify the town, I called the board of health to check on some awful oddors emanating from a chinese restaurant (at the center)and a meat department at super market, the reply given"we are very busy, I'll let them know" to this day everything remains unchanged.Lowell and Burlington should serve of example to Billerica for improvement. Thanks
Billerica

Tewksbury, MA

#20 Jun 22, 2009
Oliver wrote:
I've been a resident of Billerica for about 18 years, I do agree with Mr Williams on a number of issues, the Town representatives never seem to noticed the degree of neglect and lack of esthetics that the town has fallen into. Many homes display old unresgistered cars, trash, old tires, improvised garages in front of a residence facing route 3A. Pinehurst area in particular needs lots of attention. During the years I've resided in Billerica nothing visible has been done by the town to improve or enforce some rules on the residents and beautify the town, I called the board of health to check on some awful oddors emanating from a chinese restaurant (at the center)and a meat department at super market, the reply given"we are very busy, I'll let them know" to this day everything remains unchanged.Lowell and Burlington should serve of example to Billerica for improvement. Thanks
Well now you've done it! Now the Billerica defenders will swiftly attack Burlington and Lowell because you dared to use them as symbols of progress.
Seriously, though, I think the Merrimack Valley in general is looking a little down in the dumps for the past few years. These towns are again and finally trying to reign in uncontrolled growth after the big building booms in the 70s and 80s. There is little that can be done to take back what the suburban sprawl has done in those decades, but this will be a critical point in time that will tell us what direction these towns will go in.
Lowell and Burlington are two vastly different communities than Billerica, but both take a proactive approach to community development and we've seen changes for the better going on in both places for the past decade. They are not afraid of change and there have been vast improvements in both places. It's nice to see them on an upward swing for so many years.
pathetically speaking

Tewksbury, MA

#21 Jun 22, 2009
kara wrote:
<quoted text>
now why did you have to do that? sure, throw a gay factor statement in there. real great jack ****
No, you're wrong. I threw a "hypocrisy factor" statement in there. I would have said the same thing about anyone who made two totally conflicting statements in the paper. This has nothing to do with his homosexuality, it has to do with being two-faced. If someone, like Perry-Reef, wants to be in the public eye, they need to watch what they say in the papers, lest they be taken for a hypocrite and a liar.
John

Lowell, MA

#22 Jun 22, 2009
pathetically speaking wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you're wrong. I threw a "hypocrisy factor" statement in there. I would have said the same thing about anyone who made two totally conflicting statements in the paper. This has nothing to do with his homosexuality, it has to do with being two-faced. If someone, like Perry-Reef, wants to be in the public eye, they need to watch what they say in the papers, lest they be taken for a hypocrite and a liar.
Seems to me that it isn't very hypocritical if you take it at face value. He was 16 or 17 when he father died and had received a lot of support for his family. On the other side of the coin there are other people in town who are still bigots, as there are everywhere. To be hypocritical he would have had to say that he likes Billerica because of the bigots. I remember his father's funeral and he did get a lot of great support from Jo Ann Giovino and Barbara Morrisey and Jan Wetzel, people who still seem to support and stand by him today.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carlisle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Billerica Music Emporium (Oct '12) Dec 1 Musikologist 14
News Ted Nugent Suggests He's Ready For Armed Revolt... (Jan '13) Nov 30 power 24
News Man charged in wife's assault (Dec '10) Nov 11 GavinAlmeidajulie... 36
News Town hires towing firm despite worker's history (Jul '07) Feb '15 Anonymous 18
News Carjack suspect shoots at officers; crime spree... (Apr '14) Apr '14 EYEBALLCHAMBERS 1
News Concord-Carlisle renews school superintendant's... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Susan 1
News Running and swimming his way to a jail cell (Oct '10) Aug '13 dave rogers 19

Carlisle Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carlisle Mortgages