Working-class voters spoke

Working-class voters spoke

There are 20 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Jan 25, 2010, titled Working-class voters spoke. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

The demographics of Scott Brown's election numbers as shown in The Sun suggest that the attraction of the Democratic Party has been turned upside down.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

Fed Up

Rockville, MD

#1 Jan 25, 2010
The Democratic party is no longer the working mans party. That ended around the JFK era. It is now the entitlement party. nationaly there is a change coming.
Florida Retiree

Tampa, FL

#2 Jan 25, 2010
Fed Up wrote:
The Democratic party is no longer the working mans party. That ended around the JFK era. It is now the entitlement party. nationaly there is a change coming.
What makes you say this? Is this just your opinion or do you have something to make a case for your statement?
Powell

Claremont, NH

#3 Jan 25, 2010
I feel bad for people who think the Republican Party is looking out for the little guy.
duh

Boston, MA

#4 Jan 25, 2010
I feel bad for people that think either party is looking out for the little guy. Both parties are responsible for the mess we're in.
Catmomdu

Tewksbury, MA

#5 Jan 25, 2010
Powell wrote:
I feel bad for people who think the Republican Party is looking out for the little guy.
It seems a lot of "little guys" have little brains. Easy to manipulate by the big business party. I have to hand it to the Republicans. They figured out a vote is a vote and they don't have to pander to people with brains.
Powell

Claremont, NH

#6 Jan 25, 2010
duh wrote:
I feel bad for people that think either party is looking out for the little guy. Both parties are responsible for the mess we're in.
I agree 100%, but I think it's crazy that people have this idea that Republicans are going to protect working class people. The Democratic Party is only slightly better in this respect, but is nonetheless beholden to the moneyed interests.
Angel

Braintree, MA

#7 Jan 25, 2010
Fed Up wrote:
The Democrat Party used to be the party of the working people; these days, it's the party of the people not working.

This is NOT the Democrat party of your parents.
Tony K

Tewksbury, MA

#8 Jan 25, 2010
It was an independent victory more than a Republican. Even alot of libertarians voted for Brown. Their candidate was really unknown and probably a wasted vote. I think Coakley was banking on Kennedy to take votes away from Brown and that is why she wanted him in the debates, even though it backfired. I'm glad alot of working people either woke up or came to their senses in this state. It's only the beginning,I think.
retirement 401k

Lowell, MA

#9 Jan 25, 2010
Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
The Democrat Party used to be the party of the working people; these days, it's the party of the people not working.
Exactly!!!

“Stop Global Whining”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#10 Jan 26, 2010
Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, of COURSE it isn't! The party was jacked by hard left idealogues. They are the party of punishing success, treating terrorists like common thieves, wealth redistribution. They are utterly out of touch with the aspirations and desires of the common people. The Republicans are now the party that is more in touch with the people.
Harold Poupass

Boston, MA

#11 Jan 26, 2010
Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
At least it used to be.the Republican party has never been for the working class. What the republican party is for is cheap, disposable labor. This is not particularly patriotic if you ask me.
Cricket23

Haverhill, MA

#14 Jan 26, 2010
Harold Poupass wrote:
<quoted text>At least it used to be.the Republican party has never been for the working class. What the republican party is for is cheap, disposable labor. This is not particularly patriotic if you ask me.
NAFTA was passed under POTUS Clinton reign. Globalization is the Mantra of both the Republicans and Democrats. Globalization long term effect is to bring the wages of the working class to the levels found in Bangaladesh, Haiti, etc... When POTUS Bush II implemented import restricitons to protect the steel industry the World Court ruled at they violated various trade acts.
Harold Poupass

Boston, MA

#15 Jan 26, 2010
Cricket23 wrote:
<quoted text>
NAFTA was passed under POTUS Clinton reign. Globalization is the Mantra of both the Republicans and Democrats. Globalization long term effect is to bring the wages of the working class to the levels found in Bangaladesh, Haiti, etc... When POTUS Bush II implemented import restricitons to protect the steel industry the World Court ruled at they violated various trade acts.
Three leaders met in San Antonio Texas on Dec/17/1992 to sign NAFTA, G.H.W. Bush, Brian Mulroney (Can.) and Carlos Salinos( Mex.). Bush tried hard to fasttrack the signing before his time ran out but had to leave the ratification to incoming President Clinton. Prior to sending it to the House of Reps for ratification Clinton introduced clauses to protect the American worker. Your right , both parties crap on the American worker..it's one of the reasons they want illegals here..as union busting scabs who water down the American working class.
Marlborough Mom

United States

#16 Jan 27, 2010
That's a shame, because the working class can't read or write enough to actually make a good decision...looks like they got what they wanted. This will be funny how it plays out, this guy Scott has no idea!
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#17 Jan 27, 2010
Harold Poupass wrote:
<quoted text> Your right , both parties crap on the American worker..it's one of the reasons they want illegals here..as union busting scabs who water down the American working class.
Unions don't represent me, never did. They collected dues from me a couple of times but that's it. I got nothing for the dues except a smaller paycheck. In fact, I was told by two of the companies that I had to join the union or wouldn't be hired. Something about being a closed shop. Unions are hurting the country, not helping it. BTW, if you research NAFTA you'll find that it was a plus for America.

“Crusty & Buttery Like Bread”

Since: Oct 08

Yarmouth Port, MA

#18 Jan 27, 2010
Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly! The only people that benefit from them are the lazies on the government dole.
Right Said Fred

United States

#19 Jan 27, 2010
Yea, the working class is all that's left and they spoke. I'm going to have to work till I'm dead now! Get rid of those Democrats. Now if could only get the Marlborough DPW to work, we'd all be happy.
Luggin Fiberals

Augusta, GA

#20 Jan 27, 2010
Yet you were Odumma's biggest cheerleader last fall.

Hypocrisy of the most liberal order.

You and your ilk are killing this country, yet the situational ethics that has destroyed your life is now infecting and destroying the future of Ameria's children.

Shame, shame on the Democratic party.
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Unions don't represent me, never did. They collected dues from me a couple of times but that's it. I got nothing for the dues except a smaller paycheck. In fact, I was told by two of the companies that I had to join the union or wouldn't be hired. Something about being a closed shop. Unions are hurting the country, not helping it. BTW, if you research NAFTA you'll find that it was a plus for America.
Im Sorry But

United States

#21 Jan 27, 2010
Luggin Fiberals wrote:
Yet you were Odumma's biggest cheerleader last fall.
Hypocrisy of the most liberal order.
You and your ilk are killing this country, yet the situational ethics that has destroyed your life is now infecting and destroying the future of Ameria's children.
Shame, shame on the Democratic party.
<quoted text>
As soon as you are stupid enough to separate people into two groups, liberals/conservatives, you have neutralized your comment. Stop watching the worthless scum on FOX News and get some real information or keep quiet. There is an ENDLESS list of errors and intentional dishonesty attributable to the side you are defending that you intentionally and repeatedly ignore so you can spew your ignorance. Shut your mouth and step your personal integrity up about ten notches before you share any more of your political "insight".
Luggin Fiberals

Augusta, GA

#22 Jan 27, 2010
Endless list of errors?
Name three.
I'm game.
let's bat it a round.
If you can stand the heat.

And isn't just like a liberal when they can't debate a topic, any topic they demand censorship of the opposition.
Im Sorry But wrote:
<quoted text>
As soon as you are stupid enough to separate people into two groups, liberals/conservatives, you have neutralized your comment. Stop watching the worthless scum on FOX News and get some real information or keep quiet. There is an ENDLESS list of errors and intentional dishonesty attributable to the side you are defending that you intentionally and repeatedly ignore so you can spew your ignorance. Shut your mouth and step your personal integrity up about ten notches before you share any more of your political "insight".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carlisle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
chelmsford does NOT need to have urban characte... Dec 7 Data Entry Worker 3
Watch out for Carl Z on Acton Roads! Dec 5 Carl Zakszewski 5
40B housing keep out of chelmsford! Nov 26 colleenT1958 1
planes flying around here in chelmsford Nov 21 bills 1
very nervous about 40B affordable housing Nov 15 fieldhockey 1
News Man, 60, charged with gas station robbery Nov '17 hammerhead 3
Psychic Judy from Billerica Nov '17 pugsley7 1

Carlisle Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance