Trooper killed in crash was driving t...

Trooper killed in crash was driving too fast, patrol says | The...

There are 61 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Mar 5, 2010, titled Trooper killed in crash was driving too fast, patrol says | The.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The State Highway Patrol says an Ohio trooper killed in a crash while on duty was driving too fast when his cruiser went off a road and rolled several times.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Joe

Columbus, OH

#2 Mar 5, 2010
His Field Training Officer should be fired. Pathetic excuse for a law enforcement agency.
Change

Medina, OH

#3 Mar 5, 2010
Its a shame to see a person lose their life at a young age. Maybe if the patrol had better training in pursuit driving this tragic accident would of been prevented, but then again the upper management does not have to worry about backing up another agency only pointing fingers and where the best place to get coffee.
Ron

Columbus, OH

#5 Mar 5, 2010
Hmm, Why would a training officer be leeting him drive that fast anyway, seems like he should be held accountable for his death,if it had been an ordinary citizen, he would have hung
Change

Medina, OH

#7 Mar 5, 2010
The training officer is responisble for his cub and should be responsible. The officer should be charged with murder and the state should be held accountable for allowing this officer drive this fast without the proper training. Where was the supervision. Speed was not the primary factor of the crash. The primary factor was loss of control of his vehicle for poor training. The Officer is expected to handle various situations and respond to backup and assist other agency's. This officer just getting out of the Academy did not have enought time to learn the area let alone handle a high performance vehicle while maintaining radio traffic, road concentration, trying to think of a plan ahead of time for back-up, using his MCT Computer, ensuring his lights and siren are activated, and maintaining the safety of his passenger. The patrol needs to be the primary objective for poor training guildlines.
Trooper Watch

United States

#8 Mar 5, 2010
He must have thought he was on a motorcycle.
Buckeyechuck

Columbus, OH

#9 Mar 5, 2010
116 mph over a vagrant, you have got to be kidding me. I could see a bank robbery or a shooting, but a vagrant ? What a waste of taxpayers dollars, and waste of human life.
Sniper

Hilliard, OH

#10 Mar 5, 2010
Going 116 mph to bust some vagrants? These guys think they are above the law. They aren't above the laws of physics.
Hmmmm

Columbus, OH

#11 Mar 5, 2010
Was he wearing his seat belt? Any other fatal accident always seems to include that info. It is a law that you have to wear your seatbelt still isn't it?
Law and Order

Hilliard, OH

#12 Mar 5, 2010
May he rest in peace. I guess my question is why was a state trooper responding to a call about a vagrant squatter? Unless it was state owned/leased property or involving a highway, I am not sure how OSHP had any jurisdiction? Seems like yet another reason the legislature should revist the role and jurisdiction of OSHP. Further, don't they have real criminals to go after, rather than victims of the crappy economy?
Garbage

Blacklick, OH

#13 Mar 5, 2010
Awwww so sad...ohio finest
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#14 Mar 5, 2010
Haha, this is hilarious. He was on his way to roust a bum!

The only way this story could be better would be if he was on a doughnut run.
horatio hornblower

Zanesville, OH

#15 Mar 5, 2010
nobody said cops were smart
bosco

Columbus, OH

#16 Mar 5, 2010
I will have to disagree with most of the negative comments here. Most are pointless and vicious to a fault. I would say that the Ohio State Patrol is like the special forces of law enforcement. I live right around the corner from the OSP Academy on 17th ave. I can see their traning in the state fairgrounds parking lot, as anyone can, as I drive by. They are put thru the paces in this venue. Mostly maneuverabilty and traffic stop situations. I do not believe the area is large enough for high speed training and should be considered to be taught at Mid-Ohio race course. As with everything, a training event differs greatly with an actual event. Much must be learned through experience. It is unfortunate that we(WE) lost one of our patrolman. I have the utmost respect for the OSP. More so than the average policeman.
Mr Johnson! How can anyone find hilarity in this circumstance?
geubux

Paintsville, KY

#19 Mar 5, 2010
Good thinking! The HIGHWAY Patrol; 116mph; for vagrants. What, did they think they were stealing a buick?

Sadly, he won't make that mistake again.
geubux

Paintsville, KY

#20 Mar 5, 2010
bosco wrote:
I will have to disagree with most of the negative comments here. Most are pointless and vicious to a fault. I would say that the Ohio State Patrol is like the special forces of law enforcement. I live right around the corner from the OSP Academy on 17th ave. I can see their traning in the state fairgrounds parking lot, as anyone can, as I drive by. They are put thru the paces in this venue. Mostly maneuverabilty and traffic stop situations. I do not believe the area is large enough for high speed training and should be considered to be taught at Mid-Ohio race course. As with everything, a training event differs greatly with an actual event. Much must be learned through experience. It is unfortunate that we(WE) lost one of our patrolman. I have the utmost respect for the OSP. More so than the average policeman.
Special Forces? Seriously? Look at the facts: 98% of ALL the highway patrol does is write tickets that generate $ that shows we need more patrolmen.
richardheads

Lima, OH

#21 Mar 5, 2010
This is human being and because you don't like his chosen line of work you think his death is funny???!!! Obvioulsy mistakes were made, if not the young man would still be alive.

I'm surprised people like you have the intelligence needed to inhale and exhale while simultaneously typing on a computer.... get a life while your fortunate to still be breathing you bunch of mouth breathers.
libraguy

Columbus, OH

#22 Mar 5, 2010
You know when he died and all the comments on here should have been for the obit page..I questioned why and was attacked as defiling a image of a hero! I feel vindicated.
Rob Dolder

Columbia, SC

#23 Mar 5, 2010
Why did his "COACH" allow him to drive that fast, especially since it appears that they were not responding to a felony or threat to human life ?
Matt

Hilliard, OH

#24 Mar 5, 2010
dumbass.
Mr Thomas

United States

#26 Mar 5, 2010
bosco wrote:
I may agree with you over Mr. Johnson's mean spirited remarks however thinking of OSP as Special Forces seems to be a stretch. Perhaps they have a specialized unit similar to the SWAT team like that of the city police force but I can't imagine that they all receive special forces training. I usually see them engaged in traffic enforcement along the state roads. While there are certainly dangerous risks associated with stopping strangers on a roadway I've never seen the average trooper with a night vision scope and sniper rifle out on 161. Plus it's unfortunately the city police that we hear of getting into gun battles within our urban boundaries.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
adam luxon May '17 tater 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Ohio (Dist... (Oct '10) Mar '17 You pharrt 16
Varney (Feb '17) Feb '17 Chris 3
Drew Walter (Dec '12) Aug '16 kieanan 4
Horrible stylist (Mar '16) Mar '16 Annoyed 1
csp (Sep '13) Jan '16 Karma 2
Town name (Jul '15) Jul '15 Lindajbarth 1

Carey Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carey Mortgages