the carbondale train robbery fact or fools story..?

Posted in the Carbondale Forum

Rail 57

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Sep 16, 2008
Ok here is one for you History people and if any one can share any Information on this one.
This Coal cracking store was told to me by an old timer from years past and He died a few years ago and I hear tell this to me.
In the 1800's or the begaining of the 1900's when coal was boomer in Carbondale and the old railroad ran by the braker and loading area above the Marion Hospital area going twards whites Crossing, Now this is when murale were pulling the cars all so, up by where every one used to get spring water,
There was a train that ran that way years, years, and years ago in another time in history,
Well the store goes like this two men derailed a train back then and stole a strong box of money and eather got away or got caught, BUT, was the money every recovered....?????
Or If it was an old timers fools story.
I bet most of you did not even know this happen.
If any one has any information on this please share it with us for History Sake....
Thank You.....!!!!!
Jim

Quinlan, TX

#2 Sep 23, 2008
When I was a kid, I remember hearing something about this from my grandfather. But that was about 40 or so years ago and I don't remember much about it.

Ok here is one for you History people and if any one can share any Information on this one.
This Coal cracking store was told to me by an old timer from years past and He died a few years ago and I hear tell this to me.
In the 1800's or the begaining of the 1900's when coal was boomer in Carbondale and the old railroad ran by the braker and loading area above the Marion Hospital area going twards whites Crossing, Now this is when murale were pulling the cars all so, up by where every one used to get spring water,
There was a train that ran that way years, years, and years ago in another time in history,
Well the store goes like this two men derailed a train back then and stole a strong box of money and eather got away or got caught, BUT, was the money every recovered....?????
If any one has any information on this please share it with us for History Sake....
Thank You.....!!!!!
Rail 57

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Oct 20, 2008
Jim...........Thank You
junebug

Danbury, CT

#4 Nov 17, 2008
The spring you refer to was called the Artisian Well. My family is from Whites Crossing. When I was a kid,30 years ago, my uncle would take me for walks over there. He would always tell me the tale of the robbery and said that on the anniversary of it you could see the light of the train engine in the waters of the stream near the well. He also said that the "loot" was never recovered. How much is fact or fiction I don't know, but it makes for an interesting tale, none the less. How do you have ties to this area?
Rail 57 wrote:
Thank You.....!!!!!
PMB

Alexandria, VA

#5 May 28, 2011
Hi,
Does anyone know of a restaurant that was in business in Carbondale in the early 1900's? It was run by either the Timmons family of the Cornell family.My grandmother was Mary Cornell and her mother was Agnes Timmons Cornell. Thanks.
New Yorker

Manlius, NY

#6 Mar 24, 2013
My dad grew up in Carbondale in the early 1940's and I asked him if he had ever heard the story of the train heist. He did. He repeated location and similar "facts" of the legend. He stated that the money and people were never located.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carbondale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Free Charity Cars Website looking for Local Car... (Nov '10) 2 hr Trineice 2
News Voters challenge commissioner candidate petitions Mar 21 OF Ciz 1
stephan barney my husband Mar 15 austin-_-brister 1
gavin cure and destiny babcock Mar 15 carbondale pandas 2
epixxxxxxx Mar 15 unknow user 1
gavin cure is homo Mar 15 unknow user 1
News Former Scranton mayor interested in Lackawanna ... Feb '15 Tom J 1
Carbondale Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web