Welcome to Carbondale
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
That guy

Carbondale, PA

#1 Jun 30, 2009
Alright, we'll start first with the introduction as to why I am saying what I am. I have been living in Carbondale for 5 years now. I've noted some people on this forum have a problem with "outsiders" however, I came here to raise my family and many of you have been trying to raise families here for quite some time, so let's talk about it.
Pros.
Carbondale still has that very faint small town feel to it, which is wonderful.
You have all your needs at your fingertips, another great perk.
Tons of playgrounds(see below)
Cons.
Where to start, half of the buildings in this town are vacant and falling down. the roads are a mess, we have playgrounds intended for children that are riddled with litter and "shacks" filled with garbage. Ever been to the park on East Garfield? Their is an old rusted "hazardous" stove sitting in the pavillion along with plenty of other litter. I prefer going to this park because it is set out of the way, quiet. Great place to take the family. Now my question is, why are we paying someone to mow the grass, but cannot fathom the idea that people aren't going to this place because of it's aesthetics. So my question that I pose to anyone who may be reading this is why. What is Carbondale doing to "clean" this up.... Build a parking garage. Great idea, let's spend money so that people can park in a place they don't want to go to. Does anyone know what the cost of this is, because yet again all information about Carbondale is not readily available through the internet.
I have serious problems with the lack of community this town has. Another question I'll ask, do you know your neighbors? Do you want to? I'll be honest, I DO NOT want to know half of my neighbors. To put things into perspective. 0.10% of Carbondale's population(based on the 2000 census) of 14,672 are registered sex offenders. Comparitively 0.05% of an Urban city in New Jersey with a population of 23221(Again based on the 2000 census). Oddly enough, each city has 12 registered offenders. While this information may seem astounding, keep in mind that as far as crime statistics go Carbondale favors better then the above mentioned city. I hope that this will spark some intrest from some of you, and perhaps we can formulate a collective idea for our city to flourish as it once did.
Joe

Long Island City, NY

#2 Jul 6, 2009
Good luck in your quest. Keep us posted. You can start by asking the mayor what happened to the downtown parking garage and hotel. After all they spend a million bucks or better so far.

“Often ImitatedNever Duplicated”

Since: Feb 09

Horseheads, NY/ Crystal Lake

#3 Jul 9, 2009
What I wanna know is....what the hell is up with all those lights lining the streets? What a waste! Not even spaced properly. Glad I dont reside there, but only pass thru to get to better places!
The Mayor

Carbondale, PA

#4 Jul 10, 2009
yo Robbie, dont worrie about our lights, if you dont like them go some other way to get to your better place the POTHOLE. were Glad your kind dosent live here.
The Mayor

Carbondale, PA

#5 Jul 10, 2009
didn't your mother teach you anything, if you don't have nothing nice to say don't say nothing at all.

“Often ImitatedNever Duplicated”

Since: Feb 09

Horseheads, NY/ Crystal Lake

#6 Jul 10, 2009
Nice grammar. Typical, but you'll be hearing from many more people actually living in that dump opposed to outsiders that actually take the time to notice all the dispositions.
JJC

Carbondale, PA

#7 Sep 3, 2009
The town needs something done with the roads, that is a MAJOR problem here and some of the money should be spent on them. I want the city to have a positive outlook towards a better future and if you travel off the main street to a side street good luck if your not in an SUV or truck.
YMCA

Hazleton, PA

#8 Sep 5, 2009
nice sidewalks - all we need is people to walk on them - where are the people?
RnR

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Sep 5, 2009
They are all migrating 'down the line.'

“This too shall pass”

Since: Dec 06

Small Town, USA

#10 Sep 6, 2009
It is always a combination of factors, but I personally think the biggest one is how many people make negative comments all the time. I'm not talking about being unrealistic and ignoring problems, but as "That guy" did- admit what is good as well.
I live far away. People here think this place is great!! And when they don't like something, they assume that ONE thing needs to be changed, rather than tear down everything.
Sammy

Glen Spey, NY

#11 Sep 11, 2009
The city of Carbondale is Great It's the people that live & work there. They got to be the worst.All they do is stick ther nose in people biz& think of was to screw people. Get a life people.
Sammy

Glen Spey, NY

#12 Sep 11, 2009
YMCA, Their all in the bars.
That guy

Carbondale, PA

#13 Sep 11, 2009
I don't know whether to be happy, or disgusted that my opinion is shared with so many other people. Keep the feedback coming.
JJC

United States

#14 Sep 15, 2009
I'm glad to see a few people with non sarcastic replys that shows a little hope....
Evan Uzialko suicide

Hampstead, NC

#15 Sep 20, 2009
That guy
Carbondale, PA

I feel sorry for you and your family for having to move to NEPA

Nothing good will come of living there, sadly
it will take time for that area to takes its toll on your and your family and by the time you realize how true this statement it, it will already be to late.
That Guy

Carbondale, PA

#16 Sep 21, 2009
Evan, I did not HAVE to move to NEPA. I chose it, I could easily leave anytime I want. Fact of the matter is, I don't want to leave. Why should I uproot my family and go someplace else when these issues can be corrected.

Since: Oct 09

Bacoor, Philippines

#17 Oct 4, 2009
Hello you said welcome to Carbondale well tell me where is it. There was more there when i was a boy than there is now i thought i might come back when i was ready to retire but i didnt cause nothing change it all got worst The roads the building and no people who want to get involved. i am living her inthe philippines in a place called Kalawesen ita part of Cebu the people here kind of remind me of carbondale the only differebt is that they only live on pennnies a day because 47 pesos equal 1 u s dollar I pay my help here 100 us dollars a month and meals i have a store here that my wife runswhich we only make about 50 us s dolars a day we are open from 4:30 a m till 9:30 pm the point i am makeing is that you dont have to be rich to make a difference all you have to do is get everyone to pitch in and make change happen i have here things are so bad here thet they dont even have inside toilets . when i came here this place was bad it smelled garbage all ove now my neighbors love me cause i made it clean they all help me but i started it and they all followed i own a big house here and to them i am a million era but really i am not and at christmas time they all come to our store looking for a christmas gift so we give them all 5 kelos of rice with a can or two of meat that to them is like getting steak from the store so people of carbondale if one of you stars and then another one and another one then you will see change but if you all stay in doorsand only come out to put the garbage by the curb or to go shopping then nothing will ever happen in carbondale the reason i didnt come back is that i waited for 40 some years for change and its only got worst and now is my time to retirenot to rebuild carbondale you have all these people on relief getting money from the state let them do something for ther state
Former Resident

Tunkhannock, PA

#18 Oct 19, 2009
Jerry, Looking at your spelling I have to ask if your a retart

Since: Oct 09

Philippines

#19 Oct 19, 2009
yes but better off than you i bet
Jim from Texas

Italy, TX

#20 Oct 21, 2009
Your right Jerry, it only got worse. I left in 1970 when I went into the Army and have been back a few times over the years to visit. Now 29 years later the town has really gone to shit. The corruption has only gotten worse, and soon it will be the town that time forgot.
Jerry Denney wrote:
Hello you said welcome to Carbondale well tell me where is it. There was more there when i was a boy than there is now i thought i might come back when i was ready to retire but i didnt cause nothing change it all got worst The roads the building and no people who want to get involved. i am living her inthe philippines in a place called Kalawesen ita part of Cebu the people here kind of remind me of carbondale the only differebt is that they only live on pennnies a day because 47 pesos equal 1 u s dollar I pay my help here 100 us dollars a month and meals i have a store here that my wife runswhich we only make about 50 us s dolars a day we are open from 4:30 a m till 9:30 pm the point i am makeing is that you dont have to be rich to make a difference all you have to do is get everyone to pitch in and make change happen i have here things are so bad here thet they dont even have inside toilets . when i came here this place was bad it smelled garbage all ove now my neighbors love me cause i made it clean they all help me but i started it and they all followed i own a big house here and to them i am a million era but really i am not and at christmas time they all come to our store looking for a christmas gift so we give them all 5 kelos of rice with a can or two of meat that to them is like getting steak from the store so people of carbondale if one of you stars and then another one and another one then you will see change but if you all stay in doorsand only come out to put the garbage by the curb or to go shopping then nothing will ever happen in carbondale the reason i didnt come back is that i waited for 40 some years for change and its only got worst and now is my time to retirenot to rebuild carbondale you have all these people on relief getting money from the state let them do something for ther state

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carbondale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Reeves Awnings (Aug '15) Nov 12 Donotusereevesawn... 2
camp toloa (Mar '10) Oct '17 Rip Pauley 28
Old Site of Camp Shawnee (Aug '06) Sep '17 Jay Hall 872
News Vandals Target Community (Aug '09) Sep '17 black lung will g... 103
Anthony Neri, Sr Aug '17 Steer clear of th... 1
News Hispanics mobilize against city immigration act... (Jun '06) Jul '17 Al Busillo 682
Walmart in Carbondale (Mar '06) May '17 crawford bobbie jo 49

Carbondale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Carbondale Mortgages