Molly Young Coroner's Report

Posted in the Carbondale Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Common Sense

Marion, IL

#1 Aug 30, 2013
Please go to the Jackson County Il Coroner's website and read the complete transcript of the Molly Young inquest.
SI transplant

Wayzata, MN

#3 Aug 30, 2013
Why is it evident that he wasn't a good father? When people are depressed they don't see the past clearly. I am not sure whether it was murder or suicide, but the journals of a woman in the grips of a severe depression brought about by a cancer diagnosis should not be thought to accurately reflect the behavior of her family. I'm as sick of all this blaming the victim's family business as I'm am of the vigilantism of JFM. I'd love to see a truly "Non Biased" discussion of the case, instead of all the insults and immaturity.
Question

Marion, IL

#4 Aug 30, 2013
SI transplant wrote:
Why is it evident that he wasn't a good father? When people are depressed they don't see the past clearly. I am not sure whether it was murder or suicide, but the journals of a woman in the grips of a severe depression brought about by a cancer diagnosis should not be thought to accurately reflect the behavior of her family. I'm as sick of all this blaming the victim's family business as I'm am of the vigilantism of JFM. I'd love to see a truly "Non Biased" discussion of the case, instead of all the insults and immaturity.
Did you read the report?
SI transplant

Wayzata, MN

#5 Aug 30, 2013
Of course, I read the report. This is why I believe that suicide is a possibility, but not certain for sure. I would have voted for "undetermined" had I been on the jury at the inquest.
Just a thought

Herrin, IL

#6 Aug 30, 2013
This may sound horrible but what if her dad had a life insurance policy on her.. Last I checked they don't pay out in the event of a suicide!
SI transplant

Wayzata, MN

#7 Aug 30, 2013
Just a thought wrote:
This may sound horrible but what if her dad had a life insurance policy on her.. Last I checked they don't pay out in the event of a suicide!
Are you implying that Molly's father is fighting this so hard, in order, to collect on a life insurance policy?
Only God Knows

Carterville, IL

#8 Aug 30, 2013
Common Sense wrote:
Please go to the Jackson County Il Coroner's website and read the complete transcript of the Molly Young inquest.
The inquest was taken off line days ago You can not find it anywhere now.
jfm all the way

Carbondale, IL

#9 Aug 31, 2013
http://www.jacksoncounty-il.gov/images/corone...

Here's link for the coroners report
Informed Opinion

Murphysboro, IL

#10 Aug 31, 2013
Don't just read the first third of the inquest, read the whole thing. Pay attention to the forensics and the actual evidence gathered. The fact is the ONLY evidence presented to show suicide is text messages and journal entries. They fail to mention that the journal entries are over a year old. They also fail to tell you that THEY DON'T KNOW HER TIME OF DEATH! The coroner based her time of death on THE LAST TIME HER PHONE WAS USED. So there is no evidence she was even alive for the entire text conversation with Wes.

They fail to talk about the scratches, the bruises, the dna under her nails,or the blood spatter. The bring up circumstantial evidence from Molly's social media but fail to discuss the same sort of evidence from Richie's social media. Also in several places in the inquest they contradict themselves. Of course the jurors ruled undetermined, the inquest was unprofessional and full of guess work, opinions, and highly questionable and very circumstantial evidence.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B93W2u7YValSY...

http://carbondaletimes.com/081513young#.Ug0x7...

http://carbondaletimes.com/071013young

http://www.kfvs12.com/category/240192/new-vid...

A LOT of inconsistencies, lots of unexplained questions. If it was suicide than the investigation was shoddy and botched from the start and the degree of ineptitude of most those involved is staggering. It is completely understandable why so many people think that this wasn't a suicide, there are just too many questions that need to be answered... and honestly more than a few people that need to lose their jobs.
Shawn

Marion, IL

#11 Aug 31, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
Don't just read the first third of the inquest, read the whole thing. Pay attention to the forensics and the actual evidence gathered. The fact is the ONLY evidence presented to show suicide is text messages and journal entries. They fail to mention that the journal entries are over a year old. They also fail to tell you that THEY DON'T KNOW HER TIME OF DEATH! The coroner based her time of death on THE LAST TIME HER PHONE WAS USED. So there is no evidence she was even alive for the entire text conversation with Wes.
They fail to talk about the scratches, the bruises, the dna under her nails,or the blood spatter. The bring up circumstantial evidence from Molly's social media but fail to discuss the same sort of evidence from Richie's social media. Also in several places in the inquest they contradict themselves. Of course the jurors ruled undetermined, the inquest was unprofessional and full of guess work, opinions, and highly questionable and very circumstantial evidence.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B93W2u7YValSY...
http://carbondaletimes.com/081513young#.Ug0x7...
http://carbondaletimes.com/071013young
A LOT of inconsistencies, lots of unexplained questions. If it was suicide than the investigation was shoddy and botched from the start and the degree of ineptitude of most those involved is staggering. It is completely understandable why so many people think that this wasn't a suicide, there are just too many questions that need to be answered... and honestly more than a few people that need to lose their jobs.
I agree with you completely that the only evidence of suicide is the text messages, the note, and the journals. I also agree that there are several troubling things about this case. Not hearing the shot and the scratches are the big ones, for me. Here's the problem though, if you can't come up with a theory that explains the text messages, Minton can never be convicted of murder. And all the troubling things and unanswered questions don't matter until you can explain the texts. Another problem is, there wasn't just one "suicide text." The "suicide texts" go on for over 24 hours. The theories I have heard thus far as to how the text messages could have come about unless Young sent them are feeble. You can't just say, "we'll his dad could have somehow done that" or "Minton coulda set her phone back and sent the texts" and proceed with charges and a trial because you can't convict someone in this Country based on speculation about what could have happened. They have to prove it was possible for Minton or his father to have sent the texts, and I'm not sure they can even do that--If they got the cell phone records from the carrier, then those are in "real time" and it doesn't matter what you do afterwards. If they didn't get those records, then shame on them. And if they didn't, I agree that someone should lose their job for that. I believe, however, that while the messages themselves may no longer be available, the times that the texts were sent would be. But I am not sure about that.
OMFG2

Harrisburg, IL

#12 Aug 31, 2013
Shawn wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you completely that the only evidence of suicide is the text messages, the note, and the journals. I also agree that there are several troubling things about this case. Not hearing the shot and the scratches are the big ones, for me. Here's the problem though, if you can't come up with a theory that explains the text messages, Minton can never be convicted of murder. And all the troubling things and unanswered questions don't matter until you can explain the texts. Another problem is, there wasn't just one "suicide text." The "suicide texts" go on for over 24 hours. The theories I have heard thus far as to how the text messages could have come about unless Young sent them are feeble. You can't just say, "we'll his dad could have somehow done that" or "Minton coulda set her phone back and sent the texts" and proceed with charges and a trial because you can't convict someone in this Country based on speculation about what could have happened. They have to prove it was possible for Minton or his father to have sent the texts, and I'm not sure they can even do that--If they got the cell phone records from the carrier, then those are in "real time" and it doesn't matter what you do afterwards. If they didn't get those records, then shame on them. And if they didn't, I agree that someone should lose their job for that. I believe, however, that while the messages themselves may no longer be available, the times that the texts were sent would be. But I am not sure about that.
Well said, Shawn. Regardless of who pulled the trigger, there are a lot of things about this case that are just not right.
C3PO

Carterville, IL

#13 Aug 31, 2013
It's not what you think, it's not what you know, it's what you can prove in a court of law.
Informed Opinion

Murphysboro, IL

#14 Aug 31, 2013
Shawn wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh his father doesn't have the technical knowledge to tamper with things on that level. At best he has the knowledge and training to know how to make data non-retrievable. But the fact that they did no tests to determine time of death means that every text after 3:30 am is irrelevant as it is impossible to establish if she was dead or alive at that point. So sure there are some texts to other people before that time, but none that said "I'm going to get a gun and shoot myself in the head."

Young women get depressed, and a lot even threaten or say they are going to commit suicide. A LOT do, I have friends that do that sort of thing a lot. It isn't because they are actually suicidal, it's because they want/need attention. I'm just saying the text evidence is far from damning, and it's a shaky foundation to base a case on. I've asked a lot of questions, and both sides of this can get pretty hateful if they don't like your questions. Some JFM people can be pretty rude and hateful, but I've been called everything from a brainless sheep to a fucking retard for questioning Minton's story as well.

I think questioning the father's motive is stupid. I believe he honestly thinks she was murdered, and honestly there are things about this case that make that a legitimate suspicion. If you don't like the JFM people, I'd blame the people who screwed up the investigation. And pointing to the inquest as gospel is weak, that inquest was worthless and raised more questions then it answered.
Shawn

Marion, IL

#15 Sep 1, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh his father doesn't have the technical knowledge to tamper with things on that level. At best he has the knowledge and training to know how to make data non-retrievable. But the fact that they did no tests to determine time of death means that every text after 3:30 am is irrelevant as it is impossible to establish if she was dead or alive at that point. So sure there are some texts to other people before that time, but none that said "I'm going to get a gun and shoot myself in the head."
Young women get depressed, and a lot even threaten or say they are going to commit suicide. A LOT do, I have friends that do that sort of thing a lot. It isn't because they are actually suicidal, it's because they want/need attention. I'm just saying the text evidence is far from damning, and it's a shaky foundation to base a case on. I've asked a lot of questions, and both sides of this can get pretty hateful if they don't like your questions. Some JFM people can be pretty rude and hateful, but I've been called everything from a brainless sheep to a fucking retard for questioning Minton's story as well.
I think questioning the father's motive is stupid. I believe he honestly thinks she was murdered, and honestly there are things about this case that make that a legitimate suspicion. If you don't like the JFM people, I'd blame the people who screwed up the investigation. And pointing to the inquest as gospel is weak, that inquest was worthless and raised more questions then it answered.
I don't think the texts are irrelevant. They really couldn't be more relevant. Whoever sent the last text which states basically, "I found his texts to Chloe, now I'm going to shoot myself in the head," killed Molly Young. The defense would be able to use all the texts to establish reasonable doubt in this case, even if there was nothing else ( no journals, no note, etc.) for them to hang their hat on. The fact that the police (apparently) didn't establish time of death forensically, wouldn't prevent the defense from using the texts. The State can't use it's own screw-up as a weapon. They can't say, "the defense can't use any texts occurring after 3:30, because nobody knows for sure when she died" when it was their job to determine when she died. I think the discussion of this case is often exactly backwards in the public eye. Legally, Richie Minton doesn't have to prove a thing. The State has to come up with an account of what happened that fits with the evidence and then prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. It's Minton, not the State, that gets to lob the unanswered questions, not vice versa. The State can't prove it's case with "unanswered questions." The defense would also argue that the last text was not an isolated one. Young was texting and doing computer research that, looking back, is one seamless flow toward suicide. At around 10:00, she was texting that she wanted to kill herself with a gun. Later, she's researching guns and suicide. Later she texts that she's about to shoot herself in the head. Then she's found dead, having been shot in the head. That, to me, is reasonable doubt about whether Minton killed her.
charlie murphy

United States

#16 Sep 1, 2013
Shawn wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think the texts are irrelevant. They really couldn't be more relevant. Whoever sent the last text which states basically, "I found his texts to Chloe, now I'm going to shoot myself in the head," killed Molly Young. The defense would be able to use all the texts to establish reasonable doubt in this case, even if there was nothing else ( no journals, no note, etc.) for them to hang their hat on. The fact that the police (apparently) didn't establish time of death forensically, wouldn't prevent the defense from using the texts. The State can't use it's own screw-up as a weapon. They can't say, "the defense can't use any texts occurring after 3:30, because nobody knows for sure when she died" when it was their job to determine when she died. I think the discussion of this case is often exactly backwards in the public eye. Legally, Richie Minton doesn't have to prove a thing. The State has to come up with an account of what happened that fits with the evidence and then prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. It's Minton, not the State, that gets to lob the unanswered questions, not vice versa. The State can't prove it's case with "unanswered questions." The defense would also argue that the last text was not an isolated one. Young was texting and doing computer research that, looking back, is one seamless flow toward suicide. At around 10:00, she was texting that she wanted to kill herself with a gun. Later, she's researching guns and suicide. Later she texts that she's about to shoot herself in the head. Then she's found dead, having been shot in the head. That, to me, is reasonable doubt about whether Minton killed her.
Well said.
Only God Knows

Carterville, IL

#17 Sep 1, 2013
jfm all the way wrote:
http://www.jacksoncounty-il.go v/images/coroner/Molly_Young_I nquest.pdf
Here's link for the coroners report
As I said earlier It is no longer on line Go look for your self Thats link is broken!
Shawn

Marion, IL

#18 Sep 1, 2013
Only God Knows wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said earlier It is no longer on line Go look for your self Thats link is broken!
I saw that. I already downloaded it. I bet lots of people did. I'd guess somebody will repost it somewhere.
why oh why

Marion, IL

#19 Sep 1, 2013
Does anyone know exactly why the coroner's inquest was taken off line. Is it because it really made the coroner look bad regardless of which position you support? How much exactly does the coroner's office costs the taxpayers? And what exactly are the benefits of having a coroner anyway?
charlie murphy

United States

#20 Sep 1, 2013
I have a pdf if you want me to email it to you
J4all

Indianapolis, IN

#21 Sep 1, 2013
OMFG2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said, Shawn. Regardless of who pulled the trigger, there are a lot of things about this case that are just not right.
It's ALL about who pulled the trigger!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carbondale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Pony 6 hr Jon Boy 4
Justice Store 8 hr rebekah 2
Special Prosecutor's Decision Released in Molly... 9 hr Beth 5
club coyote (Jul '12) Mon Disgusted 41
food court in the mall Dec 22 mall 1
SIU Student Murders Falsely Declared Suicides Dec 22 Informative 7
The Southern Illinoisan Dec 20 Thirty 1
Carbondale Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web