Several city council members to consider city manager position instead of mayor.

Posted in the Caraway Forum

citizen

Ash Flat, AR

#1 Jun 8, 2012
Awesome idea.
Ohhhhh

Ash Flat, AR

#2 Jun 8, 2012
That means city council would be boss. Great idea.
OHMYGOD

Blytheville, AR

#3 Jun 8, 2012
PLEASE tell me this is not true. Gonna let those quacks hire another one of their buddies to run the city? That's even worse than what we have now. At least the people elected the moron we have in office now. Now we'll have a moron that we didn't elect.
news

Trumann, AR

#4 Jun 8, 2012
Couldn't get any worse!!!!
Anonymous

Blytheville, AR

#5 Jun 9, 2012
citizen wrote:
Awesome idea.
Most cities that replace their mayor with a city manager don't do very well. Cities tend to spiral down the toilet fast. Since a city manager is insulated from the public because he or she does not have to run for office, he or she can ignore much of the public. A mayor has to worry about the public firing them if they do a bad job.
Ohhhhh

Ash Flat, AR

#6 Jun 9, 2012
Hey anonymous! Yeah you, you idiot! We tried Ronnie Harrison, we tried Sheila, BUT FAILED!!!!!!
psssst

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#8 Jun 9, 2012
Ohhhhh wrote:
Hey anonymous! Yeah you, you idiot! We tried Ronnie Harrison, we tried Sheila, BUT FAILED!!!!!!
I think you're forgetting the mayors of bygone days. Jack Coggins to name at least one. We're better off with mayor than city manager any day. Name one successful city in Arkansas with the city manager form.
VOTE

Osceola, AR

#9 Jun 9, 2012
The people need to be able to vote! I dont trust the council to hire a city manager. And I dont trust the school board to hire the right superintendent. Maybe we should vote for that too.
Ohhhhh

Ash Flat, AR

#10 Jun 9, 2012
We havent had success having a mayor, so lets try something new. And dont bring up Jack Coggins, our country wasnt going through anything like is now when Jack was mayor, that was almost 20 years ago meth wasn't a problem then and we was in a recession , and we wast in 2 wars. Beat that!!!!!
psssst

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#11 Jun 9, 2012
Ohhhhh wrote:
We havent had success having a mayor, so lets try something new. And dont bring up Jack Coggins, our country wasnt going through anything like is now when Jack was mayor, that was almost 20 years ago meth wasn't a problem then and we was in a recession , and we wast in 2 wars. Beat that!!!!!
Sounds like you have your facts twisted. Meth was a problem then and it wasn't anywhere near twenty years ago. Let's not take the power from the people. You can keep talking about this but no one will go for the city manager idea. Good luck.
New to Trumann

Blytheville, AR

#12 Jun 9, 2012
I'd run for Mayor, but people expect miracles to happen overnight. Since I moved here, I have not had problems with trash getting picked up. Isn't that the current Mayor's doing?

I'm not up to date on all the local issues. Could someone start a thread detailing what exactly they want the Mayor's office to do for Trumann? I know what I see, but that's only one person's view. I would like to know what the people of Trumann expect, when they expect it accomplished, and how they expect it to be accomplished.
please hurry

United States

#13 Jun 9, 2012
the best thing about a city manager is that we don't have to wait for an election to get rid of an idiot. it is much easier to put pressure on the council to keep a qualified person to run our city. a city manager is a job, not a person who happened to win an election. you don't do the job you get replaced.
new mayor

Lake City, AR

#14 Jun 11, 2012
i agree we need a new mayor, i do not believe we should vote in anyone who is on the city council to this position. i believe a new voice should be heard and when the time is right someone who has been in business for a long period of time and who is a God serving, church going person will step forward and throw his hat in the race......
needs

Jonesboro, AR

#15 Jun 11, 2012
This town needs someone that will listen to Gods direction because someone has made a mess of things and a praying person will be the only thing that will put this town back on its feet again.
citizens

Jonesboro, AR

#16 Jun 11, 2012
It will not be up the the city council it will be up to citizens.
lol

Ash Flat, AR

#17 Jun 13, 2012
needs wrote:
This town needs someone that will listen to Gods direction because someone has made a mess of things and a praying person will be the only thing that will put this town back on its feet again.
prayer is just a way to do nothing and still feel like you helped. Well guess what, praying doesn't solve anything other than making yourself feel better (sometimes). Furthermore, keep religion out of government. You wouldn't want government in your religion telling you how to worship or taking away those tax exemptions the churches enjoy so much.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Caraway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
facts about willa parker 23 min Common sense 4
Manila Police Chief (Apr '11) 39 min tbs 51
516 monroe 51 min Terry Dillard 17
Jessica Cupp Burgess 1 hr Guest 9
Andrea Lynn Jones 2 hr andrealynn14 9
cdc and government morons!! 2 hr Hmmm 2
Black people (Dec '12) 11 hr cured former non-... 5
Caraway Dating
Find my Match

Caraway Jobs