Destroyer-of-bees mite escapes quaran...

Destroyer-of-bees mite escapes quarantine on the Big Island - H...

There are 35 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jun 28, 2009, titled Destroyer-of-bees mite escapes quarantine on the Big Island - H.... In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

HILO>> The varroa mite parasite that's been killing bees across the country is spreading on the Big Island, threatening local fruit and macadamia nut industries.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Da Knack Attack

Mililani, HI

#23 Jun 29, 2009
Apisculture wrote:
Colony Collapse Disorder is well known across the continental USA. Initially queen bees were brought in from Australia who certified their queens were Varona Mite free. When Colony Collapse Disorder started appearing major suits were filed. Australia spent millions researching Varona Mite effects.
Infection by the Varona Mite parasite weakens the bees who are susceptible to viral infections like Israel acute paralysis virus. Wikipedia has good information about the effects of Varona Mites. Look under Colony Collapse Disorder.
It's "varroa," not "varona." Although a song called "Mite Varroa" (to the tune of "My Sharona") might be a good parody for Frank Delima.
Le Enfant

Chicago, IL

#24 Jun 29, 2009
Yup parasites alway give me the willies. Beep-beep.
Da Poster

Honolulu, HI

#25 Jun 29, 2009
Fire all Agriculture employees!!
Wall E

Wahiawa, HI

#26 Jun 29, 2009
Sorry they got furloughed.
Sure

Mililani, HI

#27 Jun 29, 2009
Banana Boat wrote:
Try 2X a day trips. Yup a fat lip is more satisfying than lip service. Nope they didn't help
State was running bee traps at the Honolulu pier sides and not telling that.
There goes the other industries besides tourism.
Not just the state's bee industry, but North America's ECOSYSTEM could collapse. Bees play an integral part.

This could be the beginning of the end.
Sure

Mililani, HI

#28 Jun 29, 2009
Da Poster wrote:
Fire all Agriculture employees!!
Do that, and you'd see more problems from more insects, fungal infections, invasive species, ag-land re-zone development, etc.

U R OFF!
Sure

Mililani, HI

#29 Jun 29, 2009
CMK wrote:
Sad, I haven't seen a wild bee in my yard for over two years. We'll begin to see the effects in ten or twenty years as all the plants dependent on bee pollination begin to disappear and those niches begin to fill with other plants that can propagate without bees. I don't know, it might be so gradual that most people staring at their TVs or computer monitors won't notice it.
The bees in mine disappeared within the last 2 months.
Sure

Mililani, HI

#30 Jun 29, 2009
Umalava wrote:
It's all a plot to keep the 50th state less self sufficient. Destroy the bees and the state agriculture will collapse. This will result in Hawaii's greater dependence on shipping. Expect the cost of food to go up.
Could be truy. The guys who own alot of ag-land (to be sold as housing subdivisions) are the ones who own Matson. The big five is still going strong. No land, no ag.
Sure

Mililani, HI

#31 Jun 29, 2009
boycott wrote:
Someone has got to know who this person is. Share the company name so we can boycott buying his product.
Good idea
Sure

Mililani, HI

#32 Jun 29, 2009
Tsarbomba wrote:
<quoted text>
Aside from your own personal bias, what proof do you have of this? Why aren't your stopping YB from running interisland service? Tell me what measures YB takes in this regard? If you don't have a real, technical answer of what YB does in this regard, don't bother replying.
Hello, look in car radiators. There are bees in there. It could have been spread, but ag workers searched cars before boarding.

And HELLO, state ag ALREADY inspects Matson and YB. They did this even before the Superferry was an idea.

People, end this superferry b.s. It's gone.
Da Poster

Honolulu, HI

#33 Jun 29, 2009
Sure wrote:
<quoted text>
Do that, and you'd see more problems from more insects, fungal infections, invasive species, ag-land re-zone development, etc.
U R OFF!
The honeybee is an invasive species to Hawaii.
me not so off, just a tad kiltered.
Tsarbomba

United States

#34 Jun 29, 2009
Sure wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello, look in car radiators. There are bees in there. It could have been spread, but ag workers searched cars before boarding.
And HELLO, state ag ALREADY inspects Matson and YB. They did this even before the Superferry was an idea.
People, end this superferry b.s. It's gone.
You vouching state ag inspects every vehicle that ships on YB? I highly doubt it, spot check maybe. You're right, SF is gone, so it's BS for those still trying to lame blame on a company that doesn't run service anymore. They need to get a life.
Da Serpent

Mililani, HI

#36 Feb 2, 2010
Heh-heh, they're furloughed.
boondoggs

Honolulu, HI

#37 Feb 2, 2010
Sure wrote:
<quoted text>
Could be truy. The guys who own alot of ag-land (to be sold as housing subdivisions) are the ones who own Matson. The big five is still going strong. No land, no ag.
of course it's true. take away people's ability to feed themselves and they are TOTALLY controlled by the people who feed them.
16inch50

Honolulu, HI

#39 Feb 11, 2010
boondoggs wrote:
take away people's ability to feed themselves and they are TOTALLY controlled by the people who feed them.
Oh Moon Doggy, you poor poor little victim, you!

You do SOOOOOOOOOOOOO love to play helpless li'l thing, eh?

Like some damsel in distress wannabee, dropping your hanky and looking coyly over your shoulder to see if some poor sap is going to pick it up and hand it back to you?

Don't you every once in a while tire of pretending you're such a victim of cruel circumstance such that you might cast aside childish things and GROW UP?

No?

Well, no surprise there, Moon Doggy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Captain Cook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
kona helicopter lets one million people die.jul... Oct '16 hawaiiheli 1
News Suit filed over notorious beating (Mar '08) Sep '16 Jomothasass 117
san francisco fbi collage recruiter sueing rick... Sep '16 ricky damerville ... 1
have you seen jason skiier car dealer at hawaii... Sep '16 ricky damerville 1
News Isle housing bottom seen - Business (Apr '09) Aug '16 -Sprocket- 62,124
News Fatboy's to open large eatery (Jan '08) Jul '16 Joe Balls 41
Nuuanu old Pali road Jul '16 shuck that fit 1

Captain Cook Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Captain Cook Mortgages