Destroyer-of-bees mite escapes quaran...

Destroyer-of-bees mite escapes quarantine on the Big Island - H...

There are 35 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jun 28, 2009, titled Destroyer-of-bees mite escapes quarantine on the Big Island - H.... In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

HILO>> The varroa mite parasite that's been killing bees across the country is spreading on the Big Island, threatening local fruit and macadamia nut industries.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
No Wonder

Wahiawa, HI

#1 Jun 28, 2009
Meltdown!
State "Sorry bout that."
Grrrrrr.
loco moco

Richmond, VA

#2 Jun 28, 2009
What a catastrophe!

Gotta be Superferry's fault. Wait! Oops! Need one noddah wheepin' boy.
Banana Boat

Germany

#3 Jun 28, 2009
Try 2X a day trips. Yup a fat lip is more satisfying than lip service. Nope they didn't help

State was running bee traps at the Honolulu pier sides and not telling that.

There goes the other industries besides tourism.
LoloWatcher

San Diego, CA

#4 Jun 28, 2009
First the coqui, now the mites. Forget the furlough, Mr. Reimer & these incompetent bureaucrats in the State Ag Dept should do us all a favor, esp. those of us who reside on the Big Isle & hand in their resignations. They gambled & chose not to destroy all the hives on Oahu while they had the chance. Horrendous judgment and as always, too little--too late!!
Sting

Waipahu, HI

#5 Jun 28, 2009
"...an unidentified beekeeper moved contaminated hives..." "he was the one who told us that he did it"

What is being done to hold this man accountable for his role in destroying agriculture on the Big Island? Why is he not identified? Is someone protecting him? Cover-up?
BeeFuddled

Mililani, HI

#6 Jun 28, 2009
Sting wrote:
"...an unidentified beekeeper moved contaminated hives..." "he was the one who told us that he did it"
What is being done to hold this man accountable for his role in destroying agriculture on the Big Island? Why is he not identified? Is someone protecting him? Cover-up?
I almost wanna say this guy should be shot. Geez, it's unbelievable how selfishly people can act, and how much damage one individual can do. In the end, he only hurt himself as well.

UnBeelievable.
Umalava

Honolulu, HI

#7 Jun 28, 2009
It's all a plot to keep the 50th state less self sufficient. Destroy the bees and the state agriculture will collapse. This will result in Hawaii's greater dependence on shipping. Expect the cost of food to go up.
boycott

Lihue, HI

#8 Jun 28, 2009
Someone has got to know who this person is. Share the company name so we can boycott buying his product.
Gimme a break

Kaneohe, HI

#9 Jun 28, 2009
The anonomous BEEKEEPER needs to be identifed and forced to suffer the death of a thousand and one bee stings from his beloved bees before they all die due to his selfish and incredibly ignorant actions. He's somebody important's uncles' sons' second cousin hanai brother in law and thus is being kept anonymous by the powers that be, but all the beekeepers know who he is.
Worker Bee

Mililani, HI

#10 Jun 28, 2009
Umalava wrote:
It's all a plot to keep the 50th state less self sufficient. Destroy the bees and the state agriculture will collapse. This will result in Hawaii's greater dependence on shipping. Expect the cost of food to go up.
Funny you should say this. Normally I'd dismiss it as the usual tinfoil hat conspiracy stuff, but I talked to some pretty smart people who seriously think some of the big ag companies like Monsanto are behind things like this. It's far-fetched, I'd have to say, but an average person like me would never know. What is reasonable is to assume that there's a lot of sneaky and corrupt bullsh*t going on out there, mostly by government and big business, that the average person will never know about. The more money that's involved, probably the less we know.
mauiboy

Kailua Kona, HI

#11 Jun 28, 2009
loco moco wrote:
What a catastrophe!
Gotta be Superferry's fault. Wait! Oops! Need one noddah wheepin' boy.
The superfailure would have indeed spread it to all the outer islands.
Apisculture

Angers, France

#12 Jun 28, 2009
Colony Collapse Disorder is well known across the continental USA. Initially queen bees were brought in from Australia who certified their queens were Varona Mite free. When Colony Collapse Disorder started appearing major suits were filed. Australia spent millions researching Varona Mite effects.
Infection by the Varona Mite parasite weakens the bees who are susceptible to viral infections like Israel acute paralysis virus. Wikipedia has good information about the effects of Varona Mites. Look under Colony Collapse Disorder.
Tsarbomba

United States

#13 Jun 28, 2009
mauiboy wrote:
<quoted text>
The superfailure would have indeed spread it to all the outer islands.
Aside from your own personal bias, what proof do you have of this? Why aren't your stopping YB from running interisland service? Tell me what measures YB takes in this regard? If you don't have a real, technical answer of what YB does in this regard, don't bother replying.
BeeKeeper

Germany

#14 Jun 28, 2009
Gee long article with a lot of technical explanations. Here it is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_Collapse_...
In a brief, Varona Mites are not good things.
12bc-9d

Kapolei, HI

#15 Jun 28, 2009
Can I still call my girlfriend "Honey"?
KilksFault

Mililani, HI

#16 Jun 28, 2009
The mite was found in Hawaii at the hives of manoa beekeeper michael kliks. kliks has been cited for illegal use of state lands as well (see the envirowatch website). how does a guy like this get away with things like this, and then still get taken seriously when he protests on some issue like kakaako
Apis

Berlin, Germany

#18 Jun 28, 2009
Michael Kilks was one of the first Hawaii bee keepers reporting infestation of the Varona Mites parasite.

http://www.hawaiinews8.com/Global/story.asp ...
See What I Mean

Kaneohe, HI

#19 Jun 28, 2009
Eh, just imagine when they bring that other stuff over here, and it busts out loose on us.

No bring nothing to the UH.

Might buckaloose, and then what?
Non profit

Ewa Beach, HI

#20 Jun 28, 2009
Tsarbomba wrote:
<quoted text>
Aside from your own personal bias, what proof do you have of this? Why aren't your stopping YB from running interisland service? Tell me what measures YB takes in this regard? If you don't have a real, technical answer of what YB does in this regard, don't bother replying.
That's a good point. As far back as 2001 coqui frogs were migrating to Oahu and Kauai, long before the Superferry was operational.
CMK

Kailua, HI

#22 Jun 29, 2009
Sad, I haven't seen a wild bee in my yard for over two years. We'll begin to see the effects in ten or twenty years as all the plants dependent on bee pollination begin to disappear and those niches begin to fill with other plants that can propagate without bees. I don't know, it might be so gradual that most people staring at their TVs or computer monitors won't notice it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Captain Cook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Letters to the Editor - Hawaii Editorials (Nov '09) May '16 Joe Balls 82
News Kailua-Kona care facility waiting for next batc... Apr '16 Julie Jane 1
News Lawsuit alleges smear campaign against dog resc... Apr '16 Julie Jane 1
News GET hike draws more fire Apr '16 Julie Jane 1
Election Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in H... (Oct '10) Apr '16 American Infidel 20
News Isle housing bottom seen - Business (Apr '09) Mar '16 jomothasass 62,112
News Rare Hawaiiana collection earns $803,943 at auc... (Apr '09) Aug '15 Joe Balls 12
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Captain Cook Mortgages