Rare Hawaiiana collection earns $803,...

Rare Hawaiiana collection earns $803,943 at auction - News

There are 46 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Apr 9, 2009, titled Rare Hawaiiana collection earns $803,943 at auction - News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

A Hawaiiana collector who auctioned off his library in New York this week earned enough to buy a whole new library.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
duhh

Napa, CA

#1 Apr 9, 2009
How much of this ukana was bought by kanaka maoli?? As the real question. follow up with why?

“Live Love Laugh.. and Surf! :)”

Since: Aug 08

Kaimuki,Hilo,Ka'u, Kaupo

#2 Apr 9, 2009
"unruly Hawaiians"

unruly: "not submissive or conforming to rule; ungovernable; turbulent; intractable; refractory; lawless."

Once in awhile there are accurate stories posted/printed in the Honolulu Starbulletin. Once in awhile words like "unruly" used to describe Hawaiians only bring out the racism and racists.
Bruddah in Minnesota

United States

#3 Apr 9, 2009
I am very happy that these items will be brought back to Hawaii Nei where they belong.

Malama Pono O Hawai'i Nei
King Dodo

Honolulu, HI

#4 Apr 9, 2009
Were there any books about me? I live in BurgerKing and my throne is behind the door marked MENS.

Since: Mar 08

Aiea, HI

#5 Apr 9, 2009
Yep, this confirms the U of H history research that the Hawaiian People originally came from China.
USA vs China

Holualoa, HI

#6 Apr 9, 2009
Wake up China lovers in Hawaii: the same auction would have netted zero had it been held in China and not New York City. As they say Get Real China lovers
alice

Honolulu, HI

#7 Apr 9, 2009
Very sad that these items were not donated to the Bishop Museum. Very selfish owner really.
Kimo

Honolulu, HI

#8 Apr 9, 2009
Hopefully, "Kauai Boy" will make sure that "Sticky Finger's Hannemann," and/or "Greedy Lingle" doesn't get their hands on those artifacts--"to balance the budget."
Kimo

Honolulu, HI

#9 Apr 9, 2009
alice wrote:
Very sad that these items were not donated to the Bishop Museum. Very selfish owner really.
Woman, do you ever float back out of that bottle you're obviously stuck in..? He just bought the items..! They probably haven't even been delivered yet! Moreover, Bishop Museum is not a credible caretaker of Hawaiiana and the artifacts are probably safest with Kauai Boy!

Aiea, HI

#10 Apr 9, 2009
alice wrote:
\

Yes hun :)
alice

Honolulu, HI

#11 Apr 9, 2009
Kimo is rightly skeptical of Lingle and mufi. Both are worthless.
Plain and Simple

France

#12 Apr 9, 2009
The collection belonged to Eric Tulman and the prices were not that special as many of the items failed to sell or were sold cheaply...the collection was formed in Hilo over the last eight years or so....It should have made more
alice

Honolulu, HI

#13 Apr 9, 2009
Tulman should have donated the items and taken a tax deduction. he must be a very uncharitable person,. These items belong at the Bishop Museum as it is part of hawaii's history.
Plain and Simple

France

#15 Apr 9, 2009
he was also a dealer/Collector with a website Kahubooks...
John Kamaka

Honolulu, HI

#19 Apr 9, 2009
One energetic bidder, identified only as "Kauai Boy," bid high for items relating to Hawaiian royalty and sovereign law. According to officials with Bonhams, Kauai Boy's goal was "repatriating these historical items to the islands.

Good move "Kauai Boy", the Ali'i and people on both sides of the ocean only hope you will utilize these precious documents for good use and not be prostituted as in the case of other Hawaiiana materials bought and sold at this auction?.........

"There was a burst of spirited bidding on a batch of original Hawaiian mele inoa, or name chants, created for Kalakaua's Jubilee Birthday in 1886.

"It was the cause of nothing short of a bidding war," noted Bonhams' Staci Smith. "When the hammer fell, the lot brought in an astounding seven times more than its conservative estimate of $2,000, fetching $14,640."

Real disgusting, first the racist corrupt white ha-oles overthrow the legitimate Hawaiian nation, hold its native people in bondage, rape the environment, desecrate its burial grounds and prostitute its culture for profit!

Just look at the many icons abusing the true "character" of Hawaiian-ness, which is supposed to reflect caring/nuturing, big deal....it's primary function is exploitation and profit!

Even if that was not enough, auction off its remaining artifacts to the highest bidder.....it really goes to reflect what type of degenerated "culture-less in-human" character these so called "humans" are capable of doing. Then of course, their "god" is also just as corrupt as themselves and he is also subject to the highest bidder....
Hawaiianeyes

Kapolei, HI

#20 Apr 9, 2009
I think the great number of items being auctioned for way more than their estimated values indicates a number of things, including the reasonable notion that those who assigned the estimates are not sufficiently in touch with the value of things Hawaiian. This perhaps evidences the view that many do not understand Hawaiians and the Hawaiian culture enough to know their significance and value.
John Kamaka

Honolulu, HI

#21 Apr 9, 2009
Von in Aiea wrote:
Yep, this confirms the U of H history research that the Hawaiian People originally came from China.
Can you support your assumptions with lexicological data, regarding its vocal or writing characteristics?

One should know the vast differences between both as Chinese written characters are more expressed as pictorial "idea" representations rather than Hawaiian, which is very vocal in nature. It is quite opposite, with Chinese vocabulary utilizing thousands of characters while Hawaiian language use of a dozen or so basic vocal tones that are combined in various numerious combinations to express a wide range of meanings, which "invokes" representations of various levels, depending on the sender and receiver's level of "awareness".

The two is quite opposite....Chinese language has many representational attributes to choose from in expressing an idea in communication...while the Hawaiian language uses a few, but in various combination to do the same, however the Hawaiian form of communication is on a much higher spiritual plane. That is why very few people in this world really appreciate what Hawaiian-ness is all about.

Now, another glaring discrepancy is the physical differences between both, Chinese have eyes that does not need as much sunlight as people with larger more opened eyelids. Although the solar factors between both locations are rather insignificant, then why the difference? Unless there is a clear genetic attribute that separate both races distinctly.

Clearly these are just two widely differences to conclude that Hawaiians did not come from the Chinese genetic stock, rather both evolve separately. Another factor to consider, is why are there pyramids in China even larger than those in Egypt....appears that they came from a more advanced society and colonized Earth in the pass.
Sarah

El Dorado Hills, CA

#22 Apr 9, 2009
Wow, this is History! Very exciting.
Good to go

Kailua, HI

#23 Apr 9, 2009
John Kamaka wrote:
One energetic bidder, identified only as "Kauai Boy," bid high for items relating to Hawaiian royalty and sovereign law. According to officials with Bonhams, Kauai Boy's goal was "repatriating these historical items to the islands.
Good move "Kauai Boy", the Ali'i and people on both sides of the ocean only hope you will utilize these precious documents for good use and not be prostituted as in the case of other Hawaiiana materials bought and sold at this auction?.........
"There was a burst of spirited bidding on a batch of original Hawaiian mele inoa, or name chants, created for Kalakaua's Jubilee Birthday in 1886.
"It was the cause of nothing short of a bidding war," noted Bonhams' Staci Smith. "When the hammer fell, the lot brought in an astounding seven times more than its conservative estimate of $2,000, fetching $14,640."
Real disgusting, first the racist corrupt white ha-oles overthrow the legitimate Hawaiian nation, hold its native people in bondage, rape the environment, desecrate its burial grounds and prostitute its culture for profit!
Just look at the many icons abusing the true "character" of Hawaiian-ness, which is supposed to reflect caring/nuturing, big deal....it's primary function is exploitation and profit!
Even if that was not enough, auction off its remaining artifacts to the highest bidder.....it really goes to reflect what type of degenerated "culture-less in-human" character these so called "humans" are capable of doing. Then of course, their "god" is also just as corrupt as themselves and he is also subject to the highest bidder....
I am tired of hearing people refer to today's whites as "racist corrupt white ha-oles" as if ALL caucasions are rascist or corrupt. It's no different with ANY race. There are rascists in all skin colors, but there are MORE people who are NOT rascist, or so I would like to think. By the way, nice caucasion first name---John. It's a good name, btw.

Aiea, HI

#24 Apr 9, 2009
John Kamaka wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you support your assumptions with lexicological data, regarding its vocal or writing characteristics?
One should know the vast differences between both as Chinese written characters are more expressed as pictorial "idea" representations rather than Hawaiian, which is very vocal in nature. It is quite opposite, with Chinese vocabulary utilizing thousands of characters while Hawaiian language use of a dozen or so basic vocal tones that are combined in various numerious combinations to express a wide range of meanings, which "invokes" representations of various levels, depending on the sender and receiver's level of "awareness".
The two is quite opposite....Chinese language has many representational attributes to choose from in expressing an idea in communication...while the Hawaiian language uses a few, but in various combination to do the same, however the Hawaiian form of communication is on a much higher spiritual plane. That is why very few people in this world really appreciate what Hawaiian-ness is all about.
Now, another glaring discrepancy is the physical differences between both, Chinese have eyes that does not need as much sunlight as people with larger more opened eyelids. Although the solar factors between both locations are rather insignificant, then why the difference? Unless there is a clear genetic attribute that separate both races distinctly.
Clearly these are just two widely differences to conclude that Hawaiians did not come from the Chinese genetic stock, rather both evolve separately. Another factor to consider, is why are there pyramids in China even larger than those in Egypt....appears that they came from a more advanced society and colonized Earth in the pass.
Yes I sure can support this. I will get the documents and be right back.

By the way, would you like to bet with me first that I am right ?:)

Your not thinking far enough back.
Think like Adam and Eve and then the Hawaiian People would come after that.

Chinese written characters have nothing to do with anything because they were speaking Hebrew at that time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Captain Cook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fatboy's to open large eatery (Jan '08) Jul 13 Joe Balls 41
Nuuanu old Pali road Jul 6 shuck that fit 1
News Lawyer: Bullying Led To Shooting In Waikiki (Nov '11) Jun 29 gotrump 5
News Letters to the Editor - Hawaii Editorials (Nov '09) May '16 Joe Balls 82
News Kailua-Kona care facility waiting for next batc... Apr '16 Julie Jane 1
News Lawsuit alleges smear campaign against dog resc... Apr '16 Julie Jane 1
News GET hike draws more fire Apr '16 Julie Jane 1

Captain Cook Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance