Send who back to where they came from...

Send who back to where they came from? - Features

There are 56 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jan 29, 2009, titled Send who back to where they came from? - Features. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

News Item: The Hawaii State Legislature may consider a bill that would provide $100,000 for a pilot program that would fly homeless people in Hawaii back to where they came from.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Gwen

Lakewood, CA

#44 Jan 30, 2009
Charles Memminger wrote:
Love the feedback! It's always enlightening to see the way people react to humor columns, even if some of them miss the point. This was a satirical take on the absurdity of trying to send a certain segement of society "back to where they came from." I imagined native Hawaiians would find it particularly bizarre to see who gets to try to say who gets to stay in Hawaii and who has to "go back to where they came from."
It would be interesting to know how many of you online readers, especially those not in Hawaii, understood that Honolulu Lite is a HUMOR column, not a news article or straight political essay? Maybe "Honolulu LITE" needs to be put in bigger type.
CM
I thought the article was pithy and funny. Hell you had folks on all the talk shows (cable networks) talking. I loved how they made fun of this bill on the Fox News Show, Red Eye, it was just hysterical. I hope you can find the clip. Maybe in the Activity Pit! Happy Writing. I love your umbrella book!!! Thanks. Some folks are just haters anyway so no matter what you say, they will still post ridiculous things to you. Thanks for the article. It was very funny!
And for those of you reading this, Mr. Memminger is an award winning writer. I never miss a column.
Gwen

Lakewood, CA

#45 Jan 30, 2009
alice wrote:
Meminger is neither funny or a good writer. But what he fails to understand is that in the Hawaiian sovereignty community indeed wnat to limit who comes here. Controlling immigration and borders is the hallmark of a sovereign nation. Hawaiians may bvote Memminger off the island. Then he won't be laughing.
alice he is an award winning satirist. Have you studied that yet?
melanesia

Santa Monica, CA

#46 Jan 30, 2009
Native Son wrote:
According to the HISTORY Channel on TV,
the NATIVE HAWAIIANS were preceded to
these islands by a settlement of Melanesians .....by some 400-700 years.
But, the history of these first settlers is not known. Did they leave HAWAII on their own accord? Were they "booted off" by the incoming Polynesians? Were these Melanesians assimilated into the Polynesian culture?
Really, who are the true NATIVE HAWAIIANS?
interesting, yah? it all points to Australia-maybe a distant relative of aborigines? Cause Melanesia is a greek word for dark/black...

Where are the aborigines?
Als Bar and Grill

AOL

#47 Jan 30, 2009
Englishmen are like farts, they're loud, they smell bad and they don't go back from where they came!!!!!!!! They don't even have dentist.

Since: Jan 09

Honolulu, HI

#48 Jan 31, 2009
CM's piece was funny and amusing. Not funny is people like Rep. Rida Arakawa-Cabanilla, and many others who haven't got a clue, get elected to run our state government. They make national news for introducing idiotic bills like this. District 42: You voted her in. Be proud. (satire-crawl under the nearest rock)
pua

Honolulu, HI

#51 Jan 31, 2009
August wrote:
Sorry Native people, but way back when the Garden of Eden existed (before being plowed over for a parking lot) The Creator gave the world to my great..........grandfather and I never gave up my natural claim to Hawaii, so I'm staying on my land.
But I thought your great.....grandfather traded his land to my great....grandfather for a hand full of nails or some trinkets or lost it in a gambling game whatever. Either way that parking lot brings in a lot of money now and you better pay up or I'll tow your car.
satire my okole

Kapaa, HI

#52 Jan 31, 2009
Pragmatist wrote:
Apparently you folks do not understand what satire is. Go Kau manua!
I understand satire perfectly well, thanks. Maybe the Star Bulletin should have a section reserved for racist jokes as well.

They can start off with jokes about black people. Of course we'll use the "N-word", since it's apparently OK to use all the other racial slurs imaginable (see post number 19).

We'll see what the public thinks then.
LEGAL immigrant

Plymouth, CA

#53 Jan 31, 2009
lights out wrote:
Send everyone back to where they came from so that Hawaiian islands can be pristine uninhabited, isolated paradise. Only trouble is that certain loud mouthed 1 % or less mixed Hawaiian "activists" forgot how to swim back to their native land.
Oh, you forgot to mention that they still want the Federal handouts from the rest of the US taxpayers that they're getting now.
m alice

Lihue, HI

#55 Jan 31, 2009
alice wrote:
Meminger is neither funny or a good writer. But what he fails to understand is that in the Hawaiian sovereignty community indeed wnat to limit who comes here. Controlling immigration and borders is the hallmark of a sovereign nation. Hawaiians may bvote Memminger off the island. Then he won't be laughing.
So do you consider yourself a good writer? Whenever you write a comment, it is filled with spelling and grammatical errors.
Carole

Plymouth, CA

#56 Jan 31, 2009
alice wrote:
Wow, alice....... and YOU're only 18?!...Must be an 18 yr old genius.... you have something to pipe up about nomatter what the issue is that comes up....Although, you might want to spend more time in English class and work on grammar, spelling and punctuation....
Leeward Logic

Elgin, IL

#57 Jan 31, 2009
TSH wrote:
Once again CM has managed to stir a hornet's nest with his incredible humor. You people that complain about him need to pull out your dictionary so you can learn the meaning of the word "satire".
I've worked for EMS for 26 years, and in the late 80's, when treating sick homeless persons, I would find one-way tickets to Hawaii paid for by California Human Services as well as from Texas and Michigan. If these states are sending them here to save money on welfare, medical care, etc doesn't it make sense to send them back?
BTY--I was stalking CM at Kaneohe Safeway and he looks better in person than his picture would lead you to believe. ;-)
It makes sense to have residency requirements for any benefits/freebies.
Charlie the Tuna

Haiku, HI

#58 Jan 31, 2009
The Star Bulletin actually pays this guy? Subscribers should demand a refund.
Really

Haiku, HI

#59 Jan 31, 2009
Gwen wrote:
<quoted text>
alice he is an award winning satirist. Have you studied that yet?
What award did he win?
Gwen

Lakewood, CA

#60 Jan 31, 2009
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
What award did he win?
Bio on the left of this link, of Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A36D0QVI...
who they

Los Angeles, CA

#61 Feb 1, 2009
Native Son wrote:
According to the HISTORY Channel on TV,
the NATIVE HAWAIIANS were preceded to
these islands by a settlement of Melanesians .....by some 400-700 years.
But, the history of these first settlers is not known. Did they leave HAWAII on their own accord? Were they "booted off" by the incoming Polynesians? Were these Melanesians assimilated into the Polynesian culture?
Really, who are the true NATIVE HAWAIIANS?
a distant relative of aboriginies
Killa Wiffa

AOL

#62 Feb 1, 2009
Send them all back!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Captain Cook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
kona helicopter lets one million people die.jul... Oct '16 hawaiiheli 1
News Suit filed over notorious beating (Mar '08) Sep '16 Jomothasass 117
san francisco fbi collage recruiter sueing rick... Sep '16 ricky damerville ... 1
have you seen jason skiier car dealer at hawaii... Sep '16 ricky damerville 1
News Isle housing bottom seen - Business (Apr '09) Aug '16 -Sprocket- 62,124
News Fatboy's to open large eatery (Jan '08) Jul '16 Joe Balls 41
Nuuanu old Pali road Jul '16 shuck that fit 1

Captain Cook Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Captain Cook Mortgages