Rare Hawaiiana collection earns $803,...

Rare Hawaiiana collection earns $803,943 at auction - Hawaii News

There are 12 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Apr 9, 2009, titled Rare Hawaiiana collection earns $803,943 at auction - Hawaii News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

A Hawaiiana collector who auctioned off his library in New York this week earned enough to buy a whole new library.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Na Mea

Honolulu, HI

#1 Apr 9, 2009
Where's Bishop Museum, Hawaii Historic Society or even Hawaiian Music HOF especially for Kalakaua Mele Inoa Book?
kauai boy

UK

#2 Apr 9, 2009
Na Mea wrote:
Where's Bishop Museum, Hawaii Historic Society or even Hawaiian Music HOF especially for Kalakaua Mele Inoa Book?
i sent a second email because the first may have been lost. so i recreated it a second time. if the first went through, i apologize for the two overlapping emails.
Just Me

Honolulu, HI

#3 Apr 10, 2009
How did all this Hawaiian collections get in the white mans hands in Bonhams, New York?
u r a looser

Pearl City, HI

#4 Apr 10, 2009
Just Me wrote:
How did all this Hawaiian collections get in the white mans hands in Bonhams, New York?
You are kidding right? "White mans hands" what a racist!!!
higirlinlv

Las Vegas, NV

#5 Apr 10, 2009
I hope Kauaiboy got a lot of the artifacts so future (and current) generations can enjoy it.
duh

Pearl City, HI

#6 Apr 10, 2009
higirlinlv wrote:
I hope Kauaiboy got a lot of the artifacts so future (and current) generations can enjoy it.
Yes, lets keep them out of the hands of museums so private individuals can enjoy them!!
HawaiianPickers

Aiea, HI

#7 Jan 18, 2015
hahah , I think what screen name:"just me" was trying to say was how could we as the state of Hawaii allow our history / artifacts to end up out of Hawaii. Not necessarily in a "white mans hands" . That is a rather stupid and racist way to phrase that , I must agree. especially seeing as ..well from my personal experience anyway even here in Hawaii I'd say the majority of passionate collectors / researchers of ancient , antique , and vintage Hawaiiana are old Caucasians or Filipino men haha. Just what Ive seen from personal experience in buying selling and trading Hawaiiana.
I do agree with the idea of what he or she probably meant to say. Which is that's its a shame so much of Hawaii's historic items end up over seas. Its simple though , a lot of Hawaiian artifacts fetch a higher dollar in the mainland than they ever would here in Hawaii where its seems they belong. I think its just that too many museums in Hawaii aren't willing to pay for big ticket items, instead they rely on people to " do the right thing" and donate the items. Which is a shame because in actuality ( from what I've seen anyway) most of the collectors from Hawaii who are willing to shell out big money for Hawaiian history / relics either cant compete with mainland buyers or simply aren't in a sharing mood yet alone a donating mood once they acquire an item. There are amazing collections of Hawaiiana here in Hawaii don't get me wrong , However some of the best Hawaiian artifacts I've personally seen are in peoples private collections or on loan to a museum. If Hawaii's museums or Hawaii as a state isn't willing to purchase its own history who is to blame but ourselves for so much of our precious history ending up in mainland museums and collections.
A perfect example would be that part of a Japanese zero fighter plane that crashed on Ford Island during the december7th attack on Pearl Harbor that was recently donated to the Hawaii Pacific Aviation Museum. It took someone from Hawaii to purchase it online from a California seller ( for about $ 20,000) and donate it. Seeing how important and one of a kind that piece was , not to mention its significance to the Pearl Harbor battle you would think museums here would do what they could to acquire this item. Yet if it wasn't for that local donator who purchased and donated it , its likely that piece would've ended up in a mainland collection. Hawaii as a state need to step up to the plate as save its own history , until then we cant complain when valuable relics end up out of Hawaii. That's just the way the world works unfortunately.
Jack

Phoenix, AZ

#8 Jan 18, 2015
u r a looser wrote:
<quoted text>
You are kidding right? "White mans hands" what a racist!!!
You must be a spook like your buddy obama you moron.....LMFAO
Barack the Yellow

Waianae, HI

#9 Jan 19, 2015
LOL, about fifteen years ago a buddy of mine carved a statue out of a rock he picked up on the beach in Makaha and carved a face out of it with a dremel tool and some hand tools. He sold it as an "Ancient Hawaiian artifact" for twenty THOUSAND dollars to some museum in California, and bought a new Harley.
Dead Freedoms

Waipahu, HI

#10 Jan 19, 2015
No different from tomb raiders who brought King Tut to San Diego.
Joe Balls

Glendale, AZ

#11 Jan 20, 2015
Barack the Yellow wrote:
LOL, about fifteen years ago a buddy of mine carved a statue out of a rock he picked up on the beach in Makaha and carved a face out of it with a dremel tool and some hand tools. He sold it as an "Ancient Hawaiian artifact" for twenty THOUSAND dollars to some museum in California, and bought a new Harley.
Another Waianae Joeballs story from when he was a drunken mess. Let the boy vent or he will start stealing the neighbors water again.
Joe Balls

Westminster, CA

#12 Aug 1, 2015
Dead Freedoms wrote:
No different from tomb raiders who brought King Tut to San Diego.
Eat poop you little whiny [email protected]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Captain Cook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kailua-Kona care facility waiting for next batc... Apr 21 Julie Jane 1
News Lawsuit alleges smear campaign against dog resc... Apr 21 Julie Jane 1
News GET hike draws more fire Apr 21 Julie Jane 1
Election Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in H... (Oct '10) Apr 17 American Infidel 20
News Isle housing bottom seen - Business (Apr '09) Mar '16 jomothasass 62,115
News Moped helmet law floated for Hawaii Mar '16 Joe Balls Coqsucer 24
News 3 small earthquakes felt on Hawaii island (Sep '14) Sep '14 Ben 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Captain Cook Mortgages