California seeks to ban free, single-use carryout bags in retail

Jun 5, 2010 Full story: Chain Store Age 5,117

New York City The California State Assembly on Wednesday narrowly approved a bill would make California the first state in the nation to ban single-use plastic and paper bags from being handed out free of charge at supermarkets, drug stores, convenience stores and liquor stores.

Full Story
Calipo

Brazil, IN

#3877 Aug 23, 2012
you mean I would have to use my on bag for free popcorn at Rural King? man u gays are sick...
SLO

Pismo Beach, CA

#3878 Aug 23, 2012
Calipo wrote:
you mean I would have to use my on bag for free popcorn at Rural King? man u gays are sick...
Here we have an example of the type of folks in the flyover states who support Mitt Romney!! Be afraid, be very very afraid!!

Yank yank yank!!
DumbBar

San Dimas, CA

#3879 Aug 23, 2012
Just like the previous posts by the lost souls, who haven't understood the meaning
john r davidson

Fresno, CA

#3882 Aug 24, 2012
This should be funny. In 1990, my 4 year old daughter, used her ventilation, LAUGHED, and verbally spoke to me about it, as I visited her that weekend. A few days later, my 95 year old grandmother, did the SAME thing. Her too, LAUGHING out LOUD, about it. The difference, between the two types, is a WOMB. between the WOMBman, and a man, is the WOMB. When the Womb dries up, the body is the SAME. When the Nocturnal urge arises, the target is the Pinkeyed Rosebug. From a 4 year old, to the 95 year old. It will not wear out, and that is the only target, that men want. After spending HUNDREDS of USD at Macy's or Gottchocks, ALL of the money, was spent on the WRAPPERS. NOT the RED eyed CANDY, hehe.
QUOTE who ARIZONA WE LOVE YOU Just another way of reaching into my overly stretched butt hole in hopes taking a few more tax DOLLARS !!
They wont ban these bags but they are sure to attached a "Fee" aka TAX
It's a lot like the $8.00 additional Fee you play when purchasing a LCD Screen. They say its a recycling charge but the last I knew there was no redemption centers to get your money back when the stupid thing dies.
I say start dumpling your plastic bags into the ocean. Lets the sea life consume it. Fish love getting stuck in it like a mini-vacation
PROBLEM SOLVED CALIFORNIA.QUOTE
DumbBar

Covina, CA

#3883 Aug 24, 2012
What is needed here is a plastic container.
for lorre

San Jose, CA

#3884 Aug 24, 2012
ji
DumbBar

Covina, CA

#3886 Aug 24, 2012
How does this happen here with all the ignorant posting going on?

It should be illegal to text while stupid.
Lomez

Los Angeles, CA

#3887 Aug 24, 2012
DumbBar wrote:
How does this happen here with all the ignorant posting going on?
It should be illegal to text while stupid.
Calling the kettle black
DumbBar

Covina, CA

#3888 Aug 24, 2012
Not in the least, yet there is always hope.

“cudahy”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#3889 Aug 24, 2012
DumbBar wrote:
Not in the least, yet there is always hope.
always !!
Pale Dago

Saint Peters, MO

#3890 Aug 25, 2012
Now here is a law that needs to be nation wide. Don't the ass clowns in Calif have anything better to do?
BrandX

California City, CA

#3891 Aug 25, 2012
George Clooney is queer
Zimba

Covina, CA

#3892 Aug 25, 2012
What ever the bobble-heads say is all right for them, in the land of "them" it's OK too!

Them count a lot on their own echoes.
Edward Cervantes

Atwater, CA

#3893 Aug 25, 2012
i lived in long beach Ca and i had to buy every bag i used if i didn't then i had to pay 10 cents per bag... i think it time that we are american start getting with it the rest of the world uses reusable shopping bags and dont bitch why can Americans.... there is a plus side to it .. if you only have a few bags you know what it cost to fill them up so it help on money ..
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#3894 Aug 25, 2012
Edward Cervantes wrote:
i lived in long beach Ca and i had to buy every bag i used if i didn't then i had to pay 10 cents per bag... i think it time that we are american start getting with it the rest of the world uses reusable shopping bags and dont bitch why can Americans.... there is a plus side to it .. if you only have a few bags you know what it cost to fill them up so it help on money ..
Edward Cervantes.

Yes. You are exactly right. Like all the silly schemes the revolutionary ruling political element cooks up, the Lowenthal grocery and goods bag harassment tax proponents conceal half the truth. For example the Lowenthal grocery and goods bag harassment tax that revolutionary Long Beach Council imposes on the mostly poor residents of the city helps the bottom line of their pals, the greedy unionized grocery moguls.

Revolutionary Council would have us believe Lowenthal grocery and goods bag harassment tax will save an occasional fish who - unlike his more intelligent fellows - doesn't have enough sense to avoid dining on secondhand tree-saving plastic grocery bags. Like all "Forward!" schemes the revolutionaries,*(now in power)* come up with, once the Lowenthal harassment tax is accepted by increasingly impoverished minority of city residents who do not pay for their groceries with taxpayer funded food stamps, the next step will be to criminalize competitive orientated non-unionized grocers who offer free paper grocery bags to their customers.

Then, the object of the revolutionaries' will come into focus. "REUSABLE" grocery bags which are promoted by greedy unionized grocers are subject to the burdensome California sales tax, a heavy tax burden that high priced unionized grocery moguls are more than happy to collect for their politician buddies. Of course, this does not even scratch the surface. How much oil based fertilizer will be needed to replenish the land that is being depleted in order to grow the cotton that is used to manufacture those "reusable" and heavily taxed disease spreading grocery bags? How much baby killing CO2 will spewn into the atmosphere as a result?

Source: http://tinyurl.com/7njcwqf

Source: http://tinyurl.com/9uvfzmc

Source: http://tinyurl.com/27rrzcv

Ronald
FlyingHorse

Covina, CA

#3895 Aug 25, 2012
Watch out for the soft rocks fallingon your head from the flyingHorse. There might be plastic bags mixed in with the soft rocks.
JustSayin

Yucaipa, CA

#3896 Aug 25, 2012
Does anybody remember when the grocery stores use to recycle their boxes by putting your groceries in them? Thus "box boys". Now who couldn't use a box over and over again. Costco is kinda good about that, and I always like it when I get a really good box!
FlyingHorse

Covina, CA

#3897 Aug 25, 2012
Flying horse apples.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#3898 Aug 25, 2012
It is well known that the Lowenthal grocery and goods bag harassment tax the radical Long Beach Council has imposed on the minority of city residents who do not use taxpayer funded food stamps to pay for their groceries will result in the increased usage of dangerous disease spreading, soil debilitating, CO2 generating so-called "reusable" grocery bags. It has long been known that "reusable" grocery bags are a primary source for the spreading of dangerous human Bacterial Pathogens that are picked up by those bags at Government licensed and controlled grocery stores.

One reason for the endangerment of our children by this means is that there are no Federally imposed health standards regulating the use of dangerous reusable grocery bags. For example, suppose an AIDS infected intravenous drug using taxpayer supported Thug female chooses to use her reusable grocery bag as a convenient place to store her used feminine napkins between trips to the Government licensed grocery store. Then she dumps the feminine napkins in the trash on her way to the grocery store. After selecting her taxpayer provided "free" groceries, she places her unwashed reusable bag on the counter at the checkout stand. We all know what will be picked up and passed on to the family of the next grocery shopper in line via her own reusable grocery bag.

Until Federal health standards are imposed ensuring the safe use of reusable grocery bags between trips to the grocery store - along with compliance ensuring inspection-points situated at the entry doors of every Government licensed grocery store - the well-being of every food eater and their children will continue to be in jeopardy.

Looking at this situation in a positive manner, though, all is not lost. Government courts often place some monetary value on human life. If you or someone in your immediate family contract some horrible disease - or die - as a result of deadly disease causing pathogens that have been transmitted via grocery stores that permit the use of dangerous disease spreading reusable grocery bags, it will please you to know that there are many Government lawyers who are more than willing to assist you in an effort to achieve monetary redress.

Source: http://tinyurl.com/9uvfzmc

Ronald
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

#3899 Aug 26, 2012
Guess what Ronald, the Lowenthals are at it again!...

There is a bill pending in the state Legislature that could endanger the livelihoods of hundreds of families in our community, which is why I am asking our representatives to oppose such harmful legislation.

As the Corona plant manager for the Dart Container Corporation, I oversee hundreds of employees who manufacture and ship foam food containers from our Corona plant. Our products are used by thousands of restaurants, schools, hospitals and other food providers throughout the state because they perform better than alternative products and cost less. Plus, we have made significant investments at our plant to facilitate the recycling of the containers once they have been used by consumers.

Unfortunately, a state senator from Long Beach has introduced a bill that would ban foam food containers throughout California. Such a ban would result in the closure of our plant, as this is the only product that is manufactured here. Some in Sacramento say that we can simply “retool” but this is not true. The reality is that we will lose hundreds of jobs here in Corona and hundreds more across the state. And that doesn’t even include all of the collateral damage. In fact, our two plants here in California spend $20 million annually on supplier dollars and another $2.6 million on state and local taxes. Moreover, our industry and our employees spend their hard-earned money on local businesses throughout the Inland Empire and state.

Senate Bill 568 (by Alan Lowenthal) totally misses the mark. The real issue is not the product, but littering. Banning a product doesn’t eliminate littering; it just replaces it with something else. For example, in San Francisco, they banned foam containers, but according to a 2008 litter audit, paper cup litter increased after the ban was enacted.

However, my primary concern is the job loss of the individuals working in my plant. These people mean the world to me. They are long-tenured, hardworking employees who are supporting families, and they need these jobs to get health insurance, pay college tuitions and purchase homes. SB 568 would jeopardize the state and negatively impact the $30 million annual payroll of this work force. It’s hard to find quality manufacturing jobs in California these days, so where would they go if SB 568 is enacted?

And it’s not just Dart jobs that are on the line. It is our long-standing customers, who rely on the functionality and affordability of our products — such as restaurants, catering services, hospitals, schools, delis, government jobs — jobs based on the savings from using our economically priced food storage products. It’s estimated that food providers’ container costs could rise two to three times when forced to use replacement products for polystyrene foam. A typical polystyrene lunch tray costs about three cents opposed to a biodegradable tray that can cost 15 to 25 cents. That’s a significant jump in price.

SB 568 will also jeopardize the businesses that recycle polystyrene foam into products, like green building materials, molding, and even picture frames. Natural Environmental Protection Company (NEPCO) is a Chino-based company whose main obstacle for growth is a lack of post-consumer foam in the state to keep up with demand. There is a whole niche market out there based on innovative ways to recycle and reuse foam products.

While California continues to suffer from high unemployment, we need to be looking at ways to retain and support jobs, not decimate them. They are worth too much, too much to our economy and too much to the people who need them. I urge our legislators to oppose SB 568.

Larry Eisenhauer is the plant manager at Dart Container Corporation in Corona.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Capitola Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Many illegal immigrants live in public housing (Jan '09) 5 hr dominoe effect 5,610
Cyberbullying to sexting: Santa Cruz class an '... 6 hr DBS 21
Letters, Oct. 22, 2014: Sherman is wrong for Sa... 7 hr Donny B 5
I am John Colby (Dec '13) 13 hr WooF 115
Pleich Stings The Hive!!!! 15 hr John Colby 25
Grand jury indicts 13 alleged members of San Jo... (May '08) 20 hr Black Power 102
And the Parrot said (Dec '12) Tue DBS 39
Capitola Dating
Find my Match

Capitola Jobs

Capitola People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Capitola News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Capitola

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]