Collision with skateboarder kills Capitola woman, 83

Full story: San Jose Mercury News

A 17-year-old boy riding a skateboard downhill Tuesday hit an 83-year-old woman crossing the street.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 18 of18
Roy Slettehaugh

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2011

Judged:

The Skateboarder should be cited for breaking the law.
Capitola Police will not return my calls.
I have lived in Capitola and filed complaints about skateboarders and nothing was done about. Now my mother was rundown and killed by a skateboarder.
Roy Slettehaugh

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2011

Judged:

The skateboarder should be cited for breaking the law. The Capitola Police so far will not return my phone calls. I have lived in capitola and filed several complaints about bicyles and skateboards on the sidewalk. To the best of my knowledge skateboarders are not cited or told to get off the sidewalk or to stop causing road hazards. Now my mother was run over and killed by a skate boarder. She did not die after being hit by a skateboader....the skateboarder ran her down and killed her.
Craig

Walnut Creek, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2011

Judged:

A very sad and tragic story.

“talk to the kitteh”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2011

Roy Slettehaugh wrote:
I have lived in Capitola and filed complaints about skateboarders and nothing was done about. Now my mother was rundown and killed by a skateboarder.
Most people don't realize how much force is involved when a 120 lb kid hits an object while hurtling along at 30 mph.

There was an elderly woman who was killed the same way in my hometown several years ago by a kid skateboarding on the sidewalk. Some people think that laws are made up just to keep them from having fun.

Since: May 08

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2011

Judged:

The skateboarder should be cited and have the book thrown at him. Skateboarding can be a crime when it's done with reckless disregard for everybody else. There's a reason it's not allowed in Capitola Village, and that reason is that it's incompatible with pedestrians and auto traffic.

What a tragic and avoidable accident.
Rosie

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2011

Xanthippe wrote:
The skateboarder should be cited and have the book thrown at him. Skateboarding can be a crime when it's done with reckless disregard for everybody else. There's a reason it's not allowed in Capitola Village, and that reason is that it's incompatible with pedestrians and auto traffic.
What a tragic and avoidable accident.
True, except what to cite him for? California Vehicle Code defines skateboarders as pedestrians, so in regards to the stop sign CVC doesn't apply. From where the accident occurred, the closest sign posted about prohibiting skateboarding is on the other side of the access gate for the Venetian Court easement. The other posted signs I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, are all on the other side of the Stockton Bridge and not visible from an approach down Cliff Drive.

Definitely a civil suit, but I don't see how it's possible to cite or arrest someone without proof of intent to violate a penal code section. If a law existed, fair, but one can't just be made up even if it would seem like justice.
lakerfan

Murfreesboro, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2011

Judged:

Roy Slettehaugh wrote:
This is a sad story. My sympathy to you and your family.
anchor babies

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2011

Judged:

time for a fat lawsuit....
anchor babies

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2011

Judged:

17????looks like the(skaters) parents get sued!

n the kid should be locked up for (involuntary)manslaughter.
anchor babies

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2011

cited????for-murder??/no lock em up n send a message-you PAY for your actions.

Since: May 08

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2011

Judged:

Rosie wrote:
<quoted text>
True, except what to cite him for? California Vehicle Code defines skateboarders as pedestrians, so in regards to the stop sign CVC doesn't apply. From where the accident occurred, the closest sign posted about prohibiting skateboarding is on the other side of the access gate for the Venetian Court easement. The other posted signs I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, are all on the other side of the Stockton Bridge and not visible from an approach down Cliff Drive.
Definitely a civil suit, but I don't see how it's possible to cite or arrest someone without proof of intent to violate a penal code section. If a law existed, fair, but one can't just be made up even if it would seem like justice.
I thought that the entire area was a no-skateboarding zone. Thanks for clarifying. What I meant was, if he broke the law, he should be cited.

It seems weird to me that a skateboarder would be a pedestrian under the law with regard to stop signs. Is this really the case?

A very sad story.
Reality Check

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2011

Xanthippe wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought that the entire area was a no-skateboarding zone. Thanks for clarifying. What I meant was, if he broke the law, he should be cited.
It seems weird to me that a skateboarder would be a pedestrian under the law with regard to stop signs. Is this really the case?
A very sad story.
That does seem strange, and does seem to be the case. Given all the laws we do have, they haven't addressed skateboarding.
Very sad. I used to chat with them as I passed their house.
Don the Man

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2011

Judged:

This 17 yo punk is going to cost his parents and capitola a lot of money.....
Mandee

Livermore, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2011

Roy~
So terribly sorry for your loss.

I hope the police contact you regarding this tragedy as they should.

I've read in many articles it is illegal to skateboard in Capitola.

Skateboards are VERY dangerous to innocent people.
Many skateboards do not follow laws such as stopping at stop signs/lights; I see that happen all the time in Bay Area cities. It is a huge problem that needs to be addressed by issuing citations.

I think the teen should absolutely be held accountable for this sad and avoidable tragedy.

All my best to your family, Roy.
Cap resident

Watsonville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2011

Except the news was wrong....Skater was NOT in a no skateboarding zone.
I would love to hear the rational, behind locking up a good kid for an accident. He has to live with the thought of running into a fragile elderly woman, and holding her, and trying to help her while waiting for the ambulance, and police to arrive. This is not a simple accident easily forgotten. I only hope, he can become a better and more productive member of society and learn from this accident.
Which is more than I can say for the adults in this town who are notorious for hit and runs.
I guess the real message you would like to send to 17 year old skaters, is that it IS better to take off and not take responsibility for your actions?
I feel for both sides of this terrible tragedy. For the loss of a wonderful mother, wife, grandma and friend. AND for the young boy, who never imagined this happening and may not ever be able to forgive himself. May God bless them all.
Reality Check

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2011

No, he wasn't in a 'no skateboarding zone'. He was running a stop sign as he descended a hill at such speed that he was unable to control himself and his skateboard. While he didn't mean to run into her, had he obeyed the stop sign, the accident would not have happened.
Do you really think that if he had run, nobody would have noticed?
I don't know that locking him up is the right thing to do, but significant punishment is definitely in order.
The problem was that he never imagined it could happen. Thinking you can run stop signs at high rates of speed without consequences is foolish. Then again, youngsters are often foolish.
Donny B

Fairfax, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2011

anchor babies wrote:
17????looks like the(skaters) parents get sued!
n the kid should be locked up for (involuntary)manslaughter.
and/or reckless endangerment. If you show negligence, that's three times damages.
Roy Slettehaugh

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2013

The Capitola Police nor the Fire Rescue still have not come forward with a report about what happened that day. I will continue to pursue this matter.
Roy Slettehaugh wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 18 of18
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Capitola Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Capitola Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••