Who has gone to see "Heaven is for Real"
Believer

Alamogordo, NM

#81 May 23, 2014
Spaghetti monster in the sky!
Gorky

Albuquerque, NM

#82 May 23, 2014
Thanks for your caring. You assume that I don't believe in Jesus. I have read the scriptures of the old and new testaments and find most of it well worth knowing and following in our dealings with other human beings and nature. To "believe in a book" is a small part of the intent of the Bible. It is enough to take the scriptures to heart and to follow their teachings. Believing in the book is not religious. You can believe or trust in God. Can you believe and follow the content of a book religiously and what does that mean?

The New Testament urges us throughout to believe in Jesus Christ. The well-known scripture John:3:16 explains that God loved the world and gave His Son so "that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." Other passages promise that those who believe in Jesus receive forgiveness of their sins (Acts:10:43) and salvation (Romans:1:16). Believing in Jesus is obviously very important.

So important that they have to threaten prospective followers of Jesus with everlasting hell and damnation to toe the line, instead of using their own free will. I think Christianity lost more members through forced belief than of their own free will.
To Defend

United States

#83 May 24, 2014
Gorky, I wrote a rather lengthy response, but topix didn't post it. I'll try to condense and try again.

People either believe or they don't. We can't, and shouldn't try, to force others to believe. We are called by God to tell others about his plan of redemption through Jesus. Sometimes we become too 'fervent' because we understand the consequences of not accepting Him, and because we love others, we don't want them to suffer this. At least, that's my reason. We are called to tell the 'Good News', but it is actually God who makes it possible for a person to believe.

There is a difference between being 'religious' and being a 'Christian'(filled with the Holy Spirit by a personal relationship with God through Jesus).

We aren't saved by 'toeing the line'.
Galatians 3: 5 So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard? 6 So also Abraham “believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.” 7 Understand, then, that those who have faith are children of Abraham. 8 Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham:“All nations will be blessed through you.”[d] 9 So those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

10 For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written:“Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”[e] 11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.”[f] 12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, it says,“The person who does these things will live by them.”[g] 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written:“Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.”[h] 14 He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

Romans 3 and 4 say basically the same thing, as does a lot of Paul's other teachings.

We aren't saved because we obey; we obey because we are saved.
Obedience to the Lord is 1) Loving him, 2) trusting and having faith that Jesus is Lord and that he died to pay for my sins 3) ACCEPTING his payment and believing that I am not longer guilty before God 4) Loving others - when we do this, we 'follow the law'- not the set of written rules - but the 'law/rules we have in our hearts and minds from the Holy Spirit'.
To Defend

United States

#84 May 24, 2014
...I guess I didn't do a very good job of condensing... :)
Gorky

Albuquerque, NM

#85 May 24, 2014
To Defend wrote:
...I guess I didn't do a very good job of condensing...:)
No, but you did a very good job of explaining. Thanks.
Ralph

Boise, ID

#86 May 24, 2014
I was in the same place as Gordy until I became a Christian and had my mind renewed, that is why we owe it to those who are not to be free of the deceit they are under.
Gorky

Albuquerque, NM

#87 Jun 11, 2014
Ralph wrote:
I was in the same place as Gordy until I became a Christian and had my mind renewed, that is why we owe it to those who are not to be free of the deceit they are under.
You make some awesome assumptions, Ralph.
Gorky

Albuquerque, NM

#88 Jun 11, 2014
I am what one could call a secular christian, which is a christian who believes that the united states is a secular nation where anyone can live regardless of their faith, choices and beliefs.

A secular christian holds that Jesus was figuratively the son of God and so is everyone else, but they are the opposite of the spectrum when compared to fundamentalists and extreme conservative Christians or any other religion. They tend to believe in equal rights and don't judge others, meaning they actually follow the Bible.

These are the real Christians, in my opinion, because their beliefs do not interfere with scientific advancements, and they believe in a secular nation and are anti theocracy. Our founding fathers were all too aware of the dangers that religion mixed with government meant persecution and a lack of rights for others. We are said to be the most liberal Christians, this includes giving everyone the same rights as human beings, gays, atheists, Muslims, etc.

I doubt that this has anything at all to do with your movie.
Ralph

Boise, ID

#89 Jun 12, 2014
Once again your logic is misguided. The founding fathers were not afraid of the danger of religion but of the government itself , hence the right to bear arms. They could see what we are experiencing now with the government trying to control every aspect of our lives much as Hitler proposed he was doing under the same rhetoric, for' the good of the people',
Gorky

Albuquerque, NM

#90 Jun 12, 2014
Where does one go to view "Heaven is for Real"?, which I assume is the title of a film.
Ralph

Boise, ID

#91 Jun 12, 2014
You wouldn't like it, it is full of truth.
Gorky

Albuquerque, NM

#92 Jun 12, 2014
I would have gone to see "Heaven is for Real", had someone told me where it was playing.
Ralph

Boise, ID

#93 Jun 12, 2014
Need to take it up with God it is his house.
not good

Albuquerque, NM

#94 Jun 12, 2014
I saw it and it was like a TV after school special. Not very good.
The Real Conservative

Alamogordo, NM

#95 Jun 12, 2014
BIG Government republican liberals love BIG government like for example having government tell who can and who can't get married !!!

Yeap republicans love BIG government control !!!
Ralph

Boise, ID

#96 Jun 12, 2014
That can be found under Liberals,
dark waters

Vallejo, CA

#97 Jun 12, 2014
Hey Gorky ..... here is a page that allow you to watch the movie if you desire.
http://www.movie25.so/heaven-is-for-real-2014...
I personally have not viewed it but you commented that you would have gone to see it if you knew where. It's free to watch on line.
As for me, Jesus said He went to prepare a place and that if it where not so that He wouldn't have said it. That is enough for me. I trust Jesus for my future.
Peace
Chock full of Nuts

Vallejo, CA

#98 Jun 12, 2014
The heavenly coffee. I wonder if heaven will be chock full of nuts !-)
dark waters wrote:
Hey Gorky ..... here is a page that allow you to watch the movie if you desire.
http://www.movie25.so/heaven-is-for-real-2014...
I personally have not viewed it but you commented that you would have gone to see it if you knew where. It's free to watch on line.
As for me, Jesus said He went to prepare a place and that if it where not so that He wouldn't have said it. That is enough for me. I trust Jesus for my future.
Peace
The Real Conservative

Alamogordo, NM

#99 Jun 12, 2014
Ralph wrote:
That can be found under Liberals,
Spot on as that's exactly what republicans are .....'''BIG government liberals control peoples lives freaks'''.
Ralph

Boise, ID

#100 Jun 13, 2014
We know you meant democrats since it is their big government spreading it's tentacles into every aspect of your life like a bottom feeding octopus.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Capitan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A New Record High 1 hr Pragmatist 40
The Entire US Military Has Now Openly Broken Wi... 1 hr Pragmatist 6
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) 2 hr Richies Cool Man ... 9,531
Bannon cashes out early 2 hr One 4
Impeachment Coming 3 hr jack k 53
Equine neglect case 3 hr Brad 4
Bannon the Cannon 5 hr Pragmatist 12

Capitan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance