Get the Illegals OUT!
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Since: Dec 07

United States

#1 Apr 23, 2010
"updated 2 minutes ago
PHOENIX - Gov. Jan Brewer ignored criticism from President Barack Obama on Friday and signed into law a bill supporters said would take handcuffs off police in dealing with illegal immigration in Arizona, the nation's busiest gateway for human and drug smuggling from Mexico.

With hundreds of protesters outside the state Capitol shouting that the bill would lead to civil rights abuses, Brewer said critics were "overreacting" and that she wouldn't tolerate racial profiling.

"We in Arizona have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act," Brewer said after signing the law. "But decades of inaction and misguided policy have created a dangerous and unacceptable situation." "

Since: Dec 07

United States

#2 Apr 23, 2010
Carlos

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Apr 23, 2010
Well, Edmundo, I hope everyone in Arizona, with a name like yours or mine, is ready and willing to carry their proof of residency with them at all times...because that's what this means...anyone who "looks" like he/she might be Latino can and will be asked for proof. Anytime, anywhere...talk about harrassment. Here it comes.

Since: Dec 07

United States

#4 Apr 23, 2010
Carlos wrote:
Well, Edmundo, I hope everyone in Arizona, with a name like yours or mine, is ready and willing to carry their proof of residency with them at all times...because that's what this means...anyone who "looks" like he/she might be Latino can and will be asked for proof. Anytime, anywhere...talk about harrassment. Here it comes.
Do they "Profile" at the Border Patrol Check Points?

They simply ask if you're an American Citizen regardless of
what you look like and they have never asked me my name.

I only see this as a problem for Illegals.

“I am so OVER Obama”

Since: Oct 09

Exile on Main Street

#6 Apr 23, 2010
Edmundo wrote:
<quoted text>
Do they "Profile" at the Border Patrol Check Points?
They simply ask if you're an American Citizen regardless of
what you look like and they have never asked me my name.
I only see this as a problem for Illegals.
que dice usted, hombre?

carry that ID EDMUNDO
ExCop

Alamogordo, NM

#7 Apr 23, 2010
Here is one thing that law enforcement will be looking for, If they ask your if you are a U.S. Citizen do not say "No Se". It is a sure sign that you might be here illegally.

“I am so OVER Obama”

Since: Oct 09

Exile on Main Street

#8 Apr 23, 2010
and never ask them back at the Border Patrol checkpoint if THEY are US citizens !

good way to get a wood shampoo with a govt issued
billy club
Jacquez

Carrizozo, NM

#10 Apr 24, 2010
Did they mention in the law that they will only check Hispanics? I didnt think they did. There are other non citizens in the US that are here illegally. They are only enforcing the laws that the US already has and BP doesnt enforce them. For that reason heck they can ask me (Canadian)and I would have to prove I am legal, no problem. If they stop you and you do not appear to have been educated in the US, such as you only know French, that COULD be a clue and they could ? you. It appears the concerned in AZ may be illegal or have family that is illegally here.
Carlos

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Apr 24, 2010
Yeah whatever Jacquez. This is not about Candadians, Asians,Africans, etc. etc. It is about Hispanics! Period.
Michael Morris

Horn Lake, MS

#12 Apr 24, 2010
The one part no one mentioned - anywhere - is the increased cost. More cops and more time doing this work. When the taxpayer gets the bill it will end.

Since: Dec 07

United States

#13 Apr 24, 2010
Increased costs?
Reduce the drain on services illegals cause and there will be a savings overall for ALL taxpayers.
blonde

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Apr 24, 2010
I have blonde hair and I only get asked if I am a citizen at the border patrol about half of the time. Hispanic friends get asked 99.9% of the time.

They should make it easier to become a citizen legally and fewer people would be here illegally.
Jake

United States

#15 Apr 24, 2010
Arizona's governor has cajones!!
Ralph

Alamogordo, NM

#16 Apr 24, 2010
Good for her! The reason Obama is upset he was ready to grant amnesty so he could get reelected. We need more folks like her in office. The Obama Zombies don't know what illegal means.
gimmeabreak

Anthony, NM

#17 Apr 24, 2010
Would someone please explain to me why it is harassment to prove (and be thankful and proud)that you are a U S citizen? I think it is an honor to say yes sir or maam I am a citizen and here's my ID. You have to go thru the checkpoints between El Paso and Las Cruces and you are asked if you are a citizen. Do you consider that harassment too? Should those checkpoints be closed also? Do you approve of the police setting up roadblocks to check for DUI's or valid driver's license or proof of insurance checks? Is this harassment and should that be stopped too because it is violating your civil rights? What's the difference?
ExCop

Alamogordo, NM

#18 Apr 24, 2010
blonde wrote:
I have blonde hair and I only get asked if I am a citizen at the border patrol about half of the time. Hispanic friends get asked 99.9% of the time.
They should make it easier to become a citizen legally and fewer people would be here illegally.
You really must be blonde!!! In order for an alien to become a U.S.Citizen, they must have entered the U.S. legally. If you enter this country illegally you can not become a U.S. Citizen because you already broke the LAW.
Jacquez

Carrizozo, NM

#20 Apr 25, 2010
Carlos wrote:
Yeah whatever Jacquez. This is not about Candadians, Asians,Africans, etc. etc. It is about Hispanics! Period.
WHERE in the article does it say this only applies to Hispanics. Get real. You are making it all about Hispanics. Be proud to display your citizenship and show it honestly. When asked say "Hell Ya I am a citzen BAM" If you are not a citzen or legal, GET OUT!
Only in OTERO

Albuquerque, NM

#21 Apr 25, 2010
ExCop you are wrong.
Even if they enter illegally they can still become U.S Citizens. There are many ways to do it. And they know all the tricks.
Just like even if they are over here illegal they can get a drivers license. The same license that you and i have. But yet for not paying child support etc they take your drivers license away. But yet they don't take the illegal license away from them for non payment. I am not saying they shouldn't take the license away from AMERICANS for that reason but shouldn't they have to follow the same rules.

I also believe they have a right to ask us if we are U.S.Citizens. If you are one be proud and say YES. If not start swimming !!!!!

You really must be blonde!!! In order for an alien to become a U.S.Citizen, they must have entered the U.S. legally. If you enter this country illegally you can not become a U.S. Citizen because you already broke the LAW

“Navy veteran. ”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#22 Apr 25, 2010
While I agree that something has to be done about the illegals in this country. No US citizen should ever have to tolerate being pulled over and asked it they are a US citizen. No one should ever be pulled over because of the color of there skin. I do not believe this law allows for racial profiling. In another word LE still has to have probable cause to stop you and skin color does not qualify as probable cause.
Everyone should be concerned when Government passes any law that put its citizens on the defensive.
Harris is a Fraud

Albuquerque, NM

#23 Apr 25, 2010
Carlos wrote:
Yeah whatever Jacquez. This is not about Candadians,
Asians,Africans, etc. etc. It is about Hispanics! Period.
What does an illegal alien look like any way? Do illegal aliens dress a certain way? Do illegal aliens talk a certain way? How can you tell the difference, simply by looking at someone, that they are in this country illegally? Even amongst the Mexican-American population, how can you tell the difference, simply by looking or talking to someone, that they're in this country illegally versus legally, such as a lawfully admited permanent resident or a U.S. citizen?

In this part of the country, or in Arizona for that matter, it's more likely that someone who is ultimately determined to be an illegal alien, or those who are suspected, would be of Hispanic (Mexican) descent, but that doesn't mean that all of those who are ultimately determined to be an illegal alien are or will be of Hispanic heritage. There's plenty of folks illegally in this country who are from China, Poland, Italy, Korea, Ireland, Pakistan, and virtually every other country (and heritage) in the world. But Carlos is right that under the Arizona measure, the focus, at least in this part of country, will surely be on those suspected illegal aliens from Mexico.

But back to my original question, how can any law enforcement officer, or anyone else for that matter, determine whether someone is illegally in this country by simply looking or by merely talking to someone? Without an admission, fingerprints, or other evidence, profiling alone won't work, no matter what the color of the person's skin or how much of an accent they may have.

Oh, and by the way, the law (Surpreme Court) sets forth that when seeking legal entry into this coutnry, the burden of proof is on the individual presenting themselves for entry, whereas once here, the burden shifts to the Government to prove that an individual isn't here legally. Under this standard, the Government (and us taxpayers) will surely absorb the cost of these sorts of measures. It would be cheaper (and more effective) to simply offer some type of legalization process. This measure will also surely have the consequence of local and State police agencies having to dedicate resources to this Federal border responsibility, rather than policing local and State matters and providing service and protection to the local taxpayers, including those illegal aliens who already reside in that State or community, who also pay taxes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Capitan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republican Backers are Backing Away From Trump 6 hr So he 15
Why Putin wants a Trump victory (so much he mig... 10 hr And 48
News Alamogordo parents: Dress code unfair, targets ... 11 hr Good Luck 13
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 13 hr Lkuysefbjyhkurr 6,901
Is Ralph Willing to bet on Trump 13 hr And 33
Hooray for Hillary! 14 hr Good Luck 230
Hillary's mental health 14 hr Jack H 78

Capitan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Capitan Mortgages