Neurologists in Cape are
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Guest

Marion, IL

#1 Nov 9, 2012
Any recommendations or opinions? I've had Dr.A referred so far. Thank you for any help,new to area
Really

Saint Louis, MO

#2 Nov 9, 2012
Some of them are real nut cases...
good dr

Cape Girardeau, MO

#3 Nov 9, 2012
i use dr. stahly/ hes been my dr for 20 years. he knows what hes doing but there are a few other good ones. one is "forgive me" oriental i believe, he is said to be one of the best local. depends on what ur seeing the dr for. im epaleptic
Guest

Marion, IL

#4 Nov 9, 2012
good dr wrote:
i use dr. stahly/ hes been my dr for 20 years. he knows what hes doing but there are a few other good ones. one is "forgive me" oriental i believe, he is said to be one of the best local. depends on what ur seeing the dr for. im epaleptic
Thank you kindly for your answer,I am seeing one for head trauma/post concussion ,migraines, symptoms associated with mulitiple concussions. Did you have names of any of the others, the oriental perhaps? Did you know anything in regards to Dr.Avasarala?
guest

Perryville, MO

#5 Nov 9, 2012
I'd skip them here in cape if it's anything serious.this is on experience.
Guest

United States

#6 Nov 10, 2012
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you kindly for your answer,I am seeing one for head trauma/post concussion ,migraines, symptoms associated with mulitiple concussions. Did you have names of any of the others, the oriental perhaps? Did you know anything in regards to Dr.Avasarala?
No, no, no to Dr Avasarala from a nurse. He's awful. I would go to Dr Godbey. He seems to listen more and have more compassion and knowledge.
Guest

Marion, IL

#7 Nov 10, 2012
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
No, no, no to Dr Avasarala from a nurse. He's awful. I would go to Dr Godbey. He seems to listen more and have more compassion and knowledge.
thank you for this,I know everyone can have both good and bad but at least so far I have two names of someone with positive info,that at this point not with Dr. a causes concern. As a nurse, do you have a second you would recommend in case that one is unavailable?
Guest

Marion, IL

#8 Nov 10, 2012
guest wrote:
I'd skip them here in cape if it's anything serious.this is on experience.
unfortunately I am limited due to my area, would you care to elaborate or at least let me know who you might avoid in particular. This is all very helpful, thank you
Guest

United States

#9 Nov 10, 2012
Guest wrote:
<quoted text> thank you for this,I know everyone can have both good and bad but at least so far I have two names of someone with positive info,that at this point not with Dr. a causes concern. As a nurse, do you have a second you would recommend in case that one is unavailable?
There are a couple who are very knowledgeable but do not have the best bedside manner. Dr Lee and Dr Gardner Jr. Both are good doctors. Their personalities/bedside manner are usually the biggest complaints I hear.
Guest 2

Dexter, MO

#10 Nov 10, 2012
Dr Chaudhari is the best one ever.
nof320

United States

#11 Nov 10, 2012
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you kindly for your answer,I am seeing one for head trauma/post concussion ,migraines, symptoms associated with mulitiple concussions. Did you have names of any of the others, the oriental perhaps? Did you know anything in regards to Dr.Avasarala?
DR. DAVID LEE is AWESOME! Very nice and knows his stuff! He's who I'd use if I needed one
nof320

United States

#12 Nov 10, 2012
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>There are a couple who are very knowledgeable but do not have the best bedside manner. Dr Lee and Dr Gardner Jr. Both are good doctors. Their personalities/bedside manner are usually the biggest complaints I hear.
I'd agree to that statement. Very good doctors not the best bedside manners, but are you looking for a good doctor or someone to sugarcoat information and hold your hand?
Guest

Marion, IL

#13 Nov 10, 2012
nof320 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd agree to that statement. Very good doctors not the best bedside manners, but are you looking for a good doctor or someone to sugarcoat information and hold your hand?
Agree, their knowledge is what is important , I can handle the attitude ( or whatever, I'm sure dealing with people complaining about their aches and pains would surely affect a persons demeanor at times ). Thank you for taking time to reply!
Guest

Marion, IL

#14 Nov 10, 2012
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
There are a couple who are very knowledgeable but do not have the best bedside manner. Dr Lee and Dr Gardner Jr. Both are good doctors. Their personalities/bedside manner are usually the biggest complaints I hear.
very helpful, gives me a few to start with,thank you!
InsiderInfo

Jackson, MO

#15 Nov 11, 2012
There are several neurologists in Cape. 3 work for Southeast Hospital, 2 work for St Francis, and 4 are in private practice. All have admitting privileges at both Cape hospitals. You can find them all under the "Find A Doctor" Link on either of the Cape Hospital websites, which lists their training and experience.

The 4 private practice doctors are: Dr Gardner Sr, Dr Gardner Jr, Dr Lee, and Dr Mellies. The Saint Francis neurologists are Dr Avasaralla and Dr Godbey. The Southeast Neurologists are Dr Chaudhari, Dr Koonce, and Dr Stahly.(listed in alphabetical order)

Most of the neurologists in town have been here for their entire careers, but Dr Avasaralla has moved a few times, and has been here about a year or so. You may want to take that information into consideration when you are picking someone to care for your chronic problem.

You should discuss with your primary physician their experience with any of these doctors, as well as any local people you know that have seen a neurologist, as Topix is really not a good source for medical information or referrals. As you saw, most of the initial responses recommended you go straight to St Louis. Most the the Neurologists in Cape actually trained at St Louis University or Barnes Hospital/Washington University. If you are seen at one of the St Louis hospitals, you are typically seen by a medical student or resident, instead of a board certified neurologist. There is typically a "supervising physician" whose actual input into your care is minimal. If you read the Topix forums regarding the St Louis hospitals, you will also see that those facilities are hated as much as the local ones, at least on an anonymous forum such as this.

I have worked at Barnes, SLU, St Johns, St Mary's in St Louis, and in Cape. The quality of care provided at the local hospitals for routine issues exceeds that of the academic centers. I have seen that the local physicians have no problem referring the complicated cases to the tertiary care centers when appropriate.

I always laugh to myself when patients say they are going to run straight to Saint Louis for a routine surgery thinking they will get the worlds expert to do it. In fact they will have their surgery performed by a resident while the expert watches (sometimes from another operating room), and if they had stayed locally a surgeon in town with years of actual hands on experience would have done their surgery personally.
guest

Farmington, MO

#16 Nov 11, 2012
InsiderInfo wrote:
There are several neurologists in Cape. 3 work for Southeast Hospital, 2 work for St Francis, and 4 are in private practice. All have admitting privileges at both Cape hospitals. You can find them all under the "Find A Doctor" Link on either of the Cape Hospital websites, which lists their training and experience.

The 4 private practice doctors are: Dr Gardner Sr, Dr Gardner Jr, Dr Lee, and Dr Mellies. The Saint Francis neurologists are Dr Avasaralla and Dr Godbey. The Southeast Neurologists are Dr Chaudhari, Dr Koonce, and Dr Stahly.(listed in alphabetical order)

Most of the neurologists in town have been here for their entire careers, but Dr Avasaralla has moved a few times, and has been here about a year or so. You may want to take that information into consideration when you are picking someone to care for your chronic problem.

You should discuss with your primary physician their experience with any of these doctors, as well as any local people you know that have seen a neurologist, as Topix is really not a good source for medical information or referrals. As you saw, most of the initial responses recommended you go straight to St Louis. Most the the Neurologists in Cape actually trained at St Louis University or Barnes Hospital/Washington University. If you are seen at one of the St Louis hospitals, you are typically seen by a medical student or resident, instead of a board certified neurologist. There is typically a "supervising physician" whose actual input into your care is minimal. If you read the Topix forums regarding the St Louis hospitals, you will also see that those facilities are hated as much as the local ones, at least on an anonymous forum such as this.

I have worked at Barnes, SLU, St Johns, St Mary's in St Louis, and in Cape. The quality of care provided at the local hospitals for routine issues exceeds that of the academic centers. I have seen that the local physicians have no problem referring the complicated cases to the tertiary care centers when appropriate.

I always laugh to myself when patients say they are going to run straight to Saint Louis for a routine surgery thinking they will get the worlds expert to do it. In fact they will have their surgery performed by a resident while the expert watches (sometimes from another operating room), and if they had stayed locally a surgeon in town with years of actual hands on experience would have done their surgery personally.
Already know most of them come from St.louis.
Would love to share my experience with you but I won't.Every situation is different.
We liked the dr.s in St. Louis.That's were we got our help.I just know from our experience we preferred them over a couple of them that we had seen down here that helped us with nothing.Now it's 13 years later and we've came a long way in our situation!
Guest

Herrin, IL

#17 Nov 13, 2012
InsiderInfo wrote:
There are several neurologists in Cape. 3 work for Southeast Hospital, 2 work for St Francis, and 4 are in private practice. All have admitting privileges at both Cape hospitals. You can find them all under the "Find A Doctor" Link on either of the Cape Hospital websites, which lists their training and experience.
The 4 private practice doctors are: Dr Gardner Sr, Dr Gardner Jr, Dr Lee, and Dr Mellies. The Saint Francis neurologists are Dr Avasaralla and Dr Godbey. The Southeast Neurologists are Dr Chaudhari, Dr Koonce, and Dr Stahly.(listed in alphabetical order)
Most of the neurologists in town have been here for their entire careers, but Dr Avasaralla has moved a few times, and has been here about a year or so. You may want to take that information into consideration when you are picking someone to care for your chronic problem.
You should discuss with your primary physician their experience with any of these doctors, as well as any local people you know that have seen a neurologist, as Topix is really not a good source for medical information or referrals. As you saw, most of the initial responses recommended you go straight to St Louis. Most the the Neurologists in Cape actually trained at St Louis University or Barnes Hospital/Washington University. If you are seen at one of the St Louis hospitals, you are typically seen by a medical student or resident, instead of a board certified neurologist. There is typically a "supervising physician" whose actual input into your care is minimal. If you read the Topix forums regarding the St Louis hospitals, you will also see that those facilities are hated as much as the local ones, at least on an anonymous forum such as this.
I have worked at Barnes, SLU, St Johns, St Mary's in St Louis, and in Cape. The quality of care provided at the local hospitals for routine issues exceeds that of the academic centers. I have seen that the local physicians have no problem referring the complicated cases to the tertiary care centers when appropriate.
I always laugh to myself when patients say they are going to run straight to Saint Louis for a routine surgery thinking they will get the worlds expert to do it. In fact they will have their surgery performed by a resident while the expert watches (sometimes from another operating room), and if they had stayed locally a surgeon in town with years of actual hands on experience would have done their surgery personally.
Wow, thank you for your insight and the time you took to give it. Not knowing the area or Doctor's I know topix wasn't the best resource perhaps but a starting point of personal opinions. I.welcome suggestions for another avenue or resources as I do not know anyone in the area.
someone

Bloomfield, MO

#18 Nov 18, 2012
Guest wrote:
Any recommendations or opinions? I've had Dr.A referred so far. Thank you for any help,new to area
haven't ever been but have heard dr Godbey is good
Landon

Park Hills, MO

#19 Nov 18, 2012
I recommend Dr.Scott Gibbs. He has a vast amount of experience. I know a lot of people he has operated on and they loved him. He takes every case personal.
guest68

Farmington, MO

#20 Nov 18, 2012
Landon wrote:
I recommend Dr.Scott Gibbs. He has a vast amount of experience. I know a lot of people he has operated on and they loved him. He takes every case personal.
Isn't he a neurosurgeon? Just wondering.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cape Girardeau Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Advice for KFVS 12 (Feb '17) 1 hr Truth is 166
Golden Corral 3 hr Missouri 8
E Com Check Report >>E Com Over Cairo Egypt Ge... 7 hr World_Jihad 1
The Cape Girardeau August Fool's Alert Report . 7 hr American_Jihad 1
Describe your last fart using a movie or song t... (Apr '14) 8 hr Ricardo montobomb 104
Brent Irwin 8 hr FriendofFamily 5
Cherise hatfield 8 hr FriendofFamilt 22

Cape Girardeau Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cape Girardeau Mortgages