First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Football Fan

United States

#1 Feb 21, 2011
Why do all black people call themselves African-American? Personally I've not met one black person in Cape Girardeau who moved here from Africa but I do know two white people who have. I don't quite get why the term is used to describe skin color since it is your ethnicity, not your color. There are white people in Africa too. I don't call myself a German-Irish-American. I'm just an American. You are black, I am white. What's wrong with just saying that?
Cousin Ed Fan

United States

#2 Feb 21, 2011
What's wrong with people calling themselves whatever they want?
Football Fan

United States

#3 Feb 21, 2011
Cousin Ed Fan wrote:
What's wrong with people calling themselves whatever they want?
Nothing, if it's true.

Cape Girardeau, MO

#4 Feb 21, 2011
I dont understand the African-American thing either. Do we call Mexicans Mexican-American or call German people German-Americans and so on.
Cousin Ed Fan

United States

#5 Feb 21, 2011
And if its not true? So what? Does this really bother you? It doesn't affect me so why should I care?
cousin ed

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Feb 21, 2011
are you talkin about knee grows
Football Fan

United States

#7 Feb 21, 2011
Cousin Ed Fan wrote:
And if its not true? So what? Does this really bother you? It doesn't affect me so why should I care?
If it doesn't affect you, why did you respond? It's like the whole"woman of color" phrase . It's directed to woman of dark skin. I have light skin but it has a color. Everyone are people of color. I just don't understand why there has to be such a division.
kermit

Saint Louis, MO

#8 Feb 21, 2011
green is beautiful
kermit

Saint Louis, MO

#9 Feb 21, 2011
amphibian power
kermit

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Feb 21, 2011
don't make me go all fly on you
kermit

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Feb 21, 2011
white men can't jump
Anonymous

Cape Girardeau, MO

#12 Feb 21, 2011
Nothing is wrong with bing what ever you want to be called but you are an a american just like the rest of us .I would like to be called Miss ameriaca but I'm not so if you want to be treated like everybody else then be like everybody else.
Hoya

United States

#13 Feb 22, 2011
Most African Americans I know don't care if they're referred to as African American or black. They admit not having any current ties to Africa, and are comfortable being referred to as black.
You should get to know a few black people, you may learn a few things.

Chicago, IL

#14 Feb 22, 2011
Football Fan wrote:
Why do all black people call themselves African-American? Personally I've not met one black person in Cape Girardeau who moved here from Africa but I do know two white people who have. I don't quite get why the term is used to describe skin color since it is your ethnicity, not your color. There are white people in Africa too. I don't call myself a German-Irish-American. I'm just an American. You are black, I am white. What's wrong with just saying that?
It's to take the focus off the n word.

Chicago, IL

#15 Feb 22, 2011
what's a white person from Africa called when they become a US citizen?

Chicago, IL

#16 Feb 22, 2011
actress Charlize Theron is from South Africa and is now an American citizen I think. So does that mean if she was just a regular person not an actress and wanted to get a job at some place like SEMO or P &G would she fit the minority quota stipulations?

Since: Jun 10

United States

#17 Feb 22, 2011
We still say Asian referring to people of Asian background, whether they have lived here their entire life or not. I don't have time to find out every minorities history.
kermit

Saint Louis, MO

#18 Feb 22, 2011
I prefer to be called amphibian american
Football Fan

New Fairfield, CT

#19 Feb 22, 2011
The 2 white people I know whom were born in Africa who now live here and are now American citizens have said they do check the box on job applications that say African-American and both have said it's funny how it raises eyebrows and catches people off guard. Again, it's about you're ethnic background, not the color of your skin.
Weight Lifter

Jackson, MO

#20 Feb 23, 2011
ok time for ole wl to ring in here. the reason anybody would want to b called anything besides american, if they r indeed an american citizen, is bc they dont identify with us. if u r passive, and just dont care, then its 50/50. if im asian yet an american citizen, i would want to b called american, as my citizenship has nothing to do with my genetics. african american, for the blacks who prefer to b called such, shows their preoccupation with racism. if we r talking skin color, then im white, your black, and hes asian. if we r talking citizenship, we r americans. african american is a term that should not exist, unless u r an african imigrant. if u disagree, u r a racist who dislikes the majority of america. and by majority i mean the 5/6 who r white.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cape Girardeau Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Terrance Lane 31 min Guest 3
Thomas w. Lee 1 hr Just sayin 7
GoFundMe in Gordonville 2 hr Rethink 2
News Teen dead after swimming at country club in Ken... 2 hr Stacy 133
I'm tired of all this homosexual mess aren't yo... (Mar '13) 3 hr Gustavo 118
Anyone ever had or let their wife be seduced by... 3 hr 3somefun 87
http://MyPayDesk.com/?ref=150932 13 hr Steelers19 1

Cape Girardeau Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance