SFMC - "I hate Cancer" commercials

Posted in the Cape Girardeau Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
PL Delta

Jackson, MO

#1 Jul 29, 2011
I am so sick of the commercial advertising of our local hospitals. What a joke. I swear a class of fourth graders with a box of crayons and a video camera could produce better quality productions.

The most recent mind numbing commercial belongs to St. Francis Hospital and their attempt to convince everyone that their Oncology Doctors "Hate Cancer". If you hate cancer so badly, offer to do your work for free. You want my attention, say "I hate Cancer so I'm returning 90% of my salary back into Cancer research". Otherwise, I'm not buying it. Cancer, for them, is good for business and the foundation of their new building.

Fort Scott, KS

#2 Jul 29, 2011
Cancer is good for any hospial
allways rite

Chicago, IL

#3 Jul 29, 2011
PL Delta wrote:
I am so sick of the commercial advertising of our local hospitals. What a joke. I swear a class of fourth graders with a box of crayons and a video camera could produce better quality productions.

The most recent mind numbing commercial belongs to St. Francis Hospital and their attempt to convince everyone that their Oncology Doctors "Hate Cancer". If you hate cancer so badly, offer to do your work for free. You want my attention, say "I hate Cancer so I'm returning 90% of my salary back into Cancer research". Otherwise, I'm not buying it. Cancer, for them, is good for business and the foundation of their new building.
I bet if u had cancer and u were being treated by SF u would support them and they r by far the best we got in the heartland so thank about what u r saying and if u was dying of a cancer!!!!
ConsiderThis

Jackson, MO

#4 Jul 29, 2011
To me, these commercials are not nearly as annoying as Ward Chrysler radio and TV ads. The same horrid radio ad runs on every commercial break on every station, so it's impossible to listen to local radio without this annoying screaming. I would never buy a vehicle from them. This isn't the "big city". I think you need trust in a dealer in a town the size of Cape. I certainly hope this form of advertising kills their business sooner rather than later.
wombat

United States

#5 Jul 29, 2011
There are more people making a living off of cancer than there are people dying of cancer. I thought the same about the commercials. Do you know anyone who likes cancer? If you hate it so much, why are you treating cancer when you could be researching it? If cancer were cured, what the hell would you do for a living.
PL Delta

Jackson, MO

#6 Jul 29, 2011
allways rite wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet if u had cancer and u were being treated by SF u would support them and they r by far the best we got in the heartland so thank about what u r saying and if u was dying of a cancer!!!!
Well I guess the commercial's intent of drawing business to their hospital works on at least one person. Do you actually believe everything you are spoon fed from TV commercials? In the event I had cancer, I'd chose my hospital based upon many other facts outside of a bunch of over paid and over compensated foreign Doctors acting uncomfortable in front of the camera, barely uttering their lines in broken English about how much they "hate" cancer.
diy guy

Malden, MO

#7 Jul 29, 2011
wombat wrote:
There are more people making a living off of cancer than there are people dying of cancer. I thought the same about the commercials. Do you know anyone who likes cancer? If you hate it so much, why are you treating cancer when you could be researching it? If cancer were cured, what the hell would you do for a living.
Exactly why I believe that until it becomes more profitable to CURE CANCER than it is to TREAT cancer the cure will never be 'found'. My wife is a Cancer survivor and after seeing how the hospitals and Doctors interact I'm convinced they are all 'milking' every cent they can. Appointments that literally were nothing more than us sitting down and the Dr asking, "do you have any questions?" I would always think to myself, "no, YOU were the one that said we need to be here today!"

I am grateful that my wife is still with me, but it's hard to swallow that we are now financially comprimised due to the cost of treatment (even with good insurance).
Bett

Russellville, MO

#8 Jul 29, 2011
I'm sick of hospitals making tons of money and advertising they are a top hospital or "medical center" when they aren't . You can't be if you don't treat ALL medical illnesses, such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder- and they don't so they aren't
wombat

United States

#9 Jul 29, 2011
Bett wrote:
I'm sick of hospitals making tons of money and advertising they are a top hospital or "medical center" when they aren't . You can't be if you don't treat ALL medical illnesses, such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder- and they don't so they aren't
These are mental illnesses, not medical. Diseases of the mind require very different treatment than diseases of the body.
Cape resident

Jackson, MO

#10 Jul 29, 2011
wombat wrote:
<quoted text>
These are mental illnesses, not medical. Diseases of the mind require very different treatment than diseases of the body.
Really ! So there is a mind and body disconnect ? How is the treatment different ? You need medications and counseling for both cancer and depression ! No hospital can claim to provide good cancer treatment without acess to mental health treatment !
boo

Jackson, MO

#11 Jul 30, 2011
PL Delta wrote:
I haven't seen the commercials, but your opinion seems a bit extreme- i do have to say the 'i hate cancer billboards' are retarded
wombat

Jackson, MI

#12 Jul 30, 2011
Cape resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Really ! So there is a mind and body disconnect ? How is the treatment different ? You need medications and counseling for both cancer and depression ! No hospital can claim to provide good cancer treatment without acess to mental health treatment !
Of course disease of any form requires psychological support, but the original poster mentioned bi-polar disorder and schizophrenia.
These diseases are not typically treated at a facility like St. Francis.
I hate cancer

Sarasota, FL

#13 Jul 30, 2011
The "I hate cancer" phrase is from the American Cancer Society. It was not coined by SFMC.
Cape resident

Jackson, MO

#14 Jul 30, 2011
wombat wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course disease of any form requires psychological support, but the original poster mentioned bi-polar disorder and schizophrenia.
These diseases are not typically treated at a facility like St. Francis.
And that was the point that the original poster was making that how can you call yourself a top notch hospital yet cannot treat these medical illnesses. Schizophrenia is a hyperdopaminergic state needing anti psychotic meds for stability . Bipolar disorder is characterized by at times too much and at times too low levels of neurotransmitters needing mood stabilizer meds for stability
Jenny

Smithville, MO

#15 Jul 30, 2011
diy guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly why I believe that until it becomes more profitable to CURE CANCER than it is to TREAT cancer the cure will never be 'found'. My wife is a Cancer survivor and after seeing how the hospitals and Doctors interact I'm convinced they are all 'milking' every cent they can. Appointments that literally were nothing more than us sitting down and the Dr asking, "do you have any questions?" I would always think to myself, "no, YOU were the one that said we need to be here today!"
I am grateful that my wife is still with me, but it's hard to swallow that we are now financially comprimised due to the cost of treatment (even with good insurance).
"Milking" it is exactly what they do. Apparently they have a check-off list of all the tests they can get by with. People need to question their care and take responsibility for it themselves. When my suspicions about them running very expensive totally uncalled for tests were confirmed by two physicians, I put a halt to it and headed for Barnes. Guess they need the money to pay for all that advertising and construction.
txrngr

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Jul 30, 2011
Southeast does treat people with mental health disorders but SFMC doesn't. It's not a permanent inpatient facility but it's still very helpful with a lot of experience
wombat

Jackson, MI

#17 Jul 30, 2011
txrngr wrote:
Southeast does treat people with mental health disorders but SFMC doesn't. It's not a permanent inpatient facility but it's still very helpful with a lot of experience
You're right. Hospitals typically keep mentally ill patients for evaluation, and sometimes diagnose them. Either way, if there is no physical danger, they're sent to a mental health professional for interpersonal care, not treated in the hospital for those conditions.
Bett

Russellville, MO

#18 Jul 30, 2011
Any top notch medical center has acute treatment for acute medical illnesses then you are sent to your professional on discharge. For instance diabetes- your blood sugar is way to high you come in for a few days get stabilized on meds then go to your professional endocrinologist. Schizophrenia(a medical neurological illness identifiable on brain scans). Your dopamine and some other neurotransmitters are malfunctioning. You go to the hospital for a few days get your meds straightened out and are discharged to your psychiatrist.
St Francis doesn't do this as they don't minister to the needs of the community. Neither hospital treats children with these illnesses-they have to go to St Louis. For shame for shame rich hospitals.
cape PD

Chicago, IL

#19 Jul 30, 2011
PL Delta wrote:
<quoted text>Well I guess the commercial's intent of drawing business to their hospital works on at least one person. Do you actually believe everything you are spoon fed from TV commercials? In the event I had cancer, I'd chose my hospital based upon many other facts outside of a bunch of over paid and over compensated foreign Doctors acting uncomfortable in front of the camera, barely uttering their lines in broken English about how much they "hate" cancer.
Say what you want now but when or if you ever do come up with cancer and I hope you don't.... You won't think twice about a commercial.... However you make your living do you offer it for FREE?? I highly doubt it... I don't have cancer but I do have compassion for the ones that do at least
I did it

Jackson, MO

#20 Jul 30, 2011
I'm thankful that some hates cancer just as much as I hated cancer when I was going thru chemotherapy. When diagnosed, I didn't care if the doctor spoke broken English or not. I just wanted to live to see my children grow up! I certainly wasn't concerned with how a hospital markets their facility. When you face death, you are just THANKFUL and not focused on such ridiculous things such as how someone else spends their money. This is the most useless topic in topix and certainly doesn't reflect well on the person that originated the feed. Whoever started this topic is obviously uneducated and a
completely selfish and arrogant individual.
This author is probably more consumed with commercials on Qvc, the NASCAR channel, and KISS memorabilia.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cape Girardeau Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grant Dade most alarmist of all (Apr '15) 1 hr Guest 61
Bill Maher 1 hr 4Sure 29
Cat grooming 5 hr CatLover 2
luhr brothers (Jan '13) 7 hr Rick 48
shay from the pony (Mar '11) 8 hr bstmddmn8r 6
SHAY....from hush puppy (Jun '11) 8 hr bstmddmn8r 3
Late Night TV 9 hr Sad 1

Cape Girardeau Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance