Scooters are not to blame
Scooter Rider

Edwardsville, IL

#1 Sep 21, 2012
The accident with meg was tragic and my heart goes out to her family. Having said that everyone is quick to blame scooters for this tragic accident. What if it had been a young child on a bicycle would it have been the child's fault? I don't think so, people are in too big of a hurry these days to the point they disregard the safety of others in an attemp to get to work on time, this person is late for work and in an attempt to get their quicker they cut a corner or two ,doesnt look thoroughly at an intersection, then just like that something terrible occurs, make time to get where your going on time don't let your attempt to gain a few minutes cost someone else the rest of their life.
Scooters are not to blame, it is a way for a struggling student save a little cash and better for our environment with its small carbon foot print, state law is in place that makes it legal of course as long as the rider is riding in a logical manner and obeying the laws, as well as staying to the right. Even at the college they are taking this out on the scooter riders took away their parking spots which made the whole investment of the scooter so inviting, "but safety issues" have placed scooter parking rediculously far away.
I say scooters have just as much right as anything else on the road, of course if the rider is obeying the requirements of safety. Watch for scooters especially within a couple mile radius of the college!!

United States

#2 Sep 21, 2012
all motorized modes of transportation that are allowed on the roads, streets, hwys, etc should be required to be licensed and insured and the operator should be licensed.
SEMO Student

Cape Girardeau, MO

#3 Sep 21, 2012
spot on.

i would just like to add that a law should be passed to require all scooter drivers to wear helmets, cause as meg's story and your post has shown, it's always your driving you have to worry about it's the driving of others as well.
blahblahblah

Cape Girardeau, MO

#4 Sep 21, 2012
A young lady died in a tragic accident and you're worried about a backlash against scooters. Your mom & dad must be so proud of you.
tony

Jackson, MO

#5 Sep 21, 2012
Why can't her fmily sue the manufactuer of the scooter like families do to gun makers?

United States

#6 Sep 21, 2012
Its the stupid fckers driving that are the problem. Nobody pays attention

United States

#7 Sep 22, 2012
Scooters are a hazard to automobile drivers. Not to mention their owner. You cannot see them, they drive in a reckless manner, and cannot achieve posted speed rates. These accidents are going to get worse.
wtf

Jackson, MO

#8 Sep 22, 2012
On the SEMO campus scooters ride on the sidewalks, park in the grass, sidewalks, bike racks, ect. They ride on the grass, cut through cross walks, and pul out in front of cars. They clog up the bike and scooter spots so bad registered vehicles can't park there anyway with their unregistered bikes.

United States

#9 Sep 22, 2012
Guest wrote:
Scooters are a hazard to automobile drivers. Not to mention their owner. You cannot see them, they drive in a reckless manner, and cannot achieve posted speed rates. These accidents are going to get worse.
Agreed. They need to be licensed and insured or not allowed to operate.
Scooter rider

United States

#10 Sep 22, 2012
The few accidents and inexperienced riders shouldn't ruin things for the law abiding majority! The state law is what it is get over it just like a speed limit sign you may not its the law.
Scooter rider

United States

#11 Sep 22, 2012
The few accidents and inexperienced riders shouldn't ruin things for the law abiding majority! The state law is what it is get over it just like a speed limit sign you may not its the law.-typo you may not like it but its the law.
2012theEND

Fenton, MO

#12 Sep 22, 2012
Scooters are not the problem and if you actually take the time to bother to look before making a turn you would probably start noticing them. Problem is most people in cars are too busy putting on their makeup, reading their newspapers, or texting on their phones rather than keeping their eyes on the road where they should be. Funny thing is though, I've been driving for 10 years and have had a motorcycle for 10 years also (started on a scooter) and when I drive I keep my eyes on the road where they should be and I've NEVER cut off someone in a scooter or motorcycle. As far as helmets go, I think as long as you have health insurance and are 18+ you shouldnt be forced to wear a helmet period. I feel very sorry and my prayers go out to the family of the young lady who was hit and killed in the scooter accident. The way this dictatorship of a society has become I wouldn't be surprised if some stupid politician tried to pass a law prohibiting scooters motorcycles etc. Shame

United States

#13 Sep 22, 2012
Your arguments are silly. When they take you to a hospital or even worse a family whose lives you have foolishly taken you can present these opinions in court, since you seem to be so very interested in the legeslative process.

United States

#14 Sep 22, 2012
I'm tired of seeing these scooter drivers all over town weaving in and out of traffic and not stopping at stop signs while texting or talking on their phones and drinking soda or water out of bottles with their headphones on rocking out to music. they should be outlawed!
Undertaker

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Sep 22, 2012
I suggest you check the current laws about being able to sue gunmakers because someone mis-uses a gun. It is now about like trying to sue pharmaceutical makers because vaccines cause problems. It is not going to happen.
figure it out

Jackson, MO

#17 Sep 23, 2012
I agree the fault is not the scooters, it is the stupid dicks who ride them on sidewalks, don't stop at stop signs, park them illegally, and generally don;t obey traffic laws. Unfortunately that is a lot of the scooters I see on the SEMO campus. If it gets any worse they will be banned on campus.
Scooter rider

Edwardsville, IL

#18 Sep 23, 2012
figure it out wrote:
I agree the fault is not the scooters, it is the stupid dicks who ride them on sidewalks, don't stop at stop signs, park them illegally, and generally don;t obey traffic laws. Unfortunately that is a lot of the scooters I see on the SEMO campus. If it gets any worse they will be banned on campus.
Maybe Semo; instead of trying to capitalize on every square inch of the parking lots, the campus cops can do their job and get the immature scooter riders in check not punish everyone. I have logged over 8,000 miles on my scooter and never been in a wreck or even a close call because I am always on the look for what the other guy is going to do. I ride my scooter to campus and around campus everyday never drive in grass or any of the ignorant stuff you've seen. my advice to you instead of developing a hatred towards all scooters maybe you should call campus security when you see this type of ignorance.
My thoughts

United States

#19 Sep 23, 2012
I think people that ride scooter need to have a drivers license and by law have to wear a helmet. I think they are just as dangerous as motorcycles if not more so because they are smaller and harder to see they are quiet so you can't hear them and they don't go as fast so it's harder for them to be at speed and flow with traffic. It is tragic and my heart goes out to the family of this child. I am afraid if the scooter laws don't change there will be alot more people hurt or killed on the roads riding scooters esp without wearing helmets.
2012theEND

Fenton, MO

#20 Sep 23, 2012
In Missouri a drivers license is REQUIRED to drive a scooter. You don't need to get the actual scooter licensed, inspected etc. but you have to have a DRIVERS LICENSE.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cape Girardeau Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thank You President Trump 15 min Guest 45
Trumps shutdown! Republican CONTROL 1 hr Guest 19
Does and know who my husband Tyler sample has b... 4 hr Just the facts 11
Jessica Jenkins is a hooker 5 hr Uknown 11
Pam (Jan '15) 5 hr Curious 35
Express Employment Unfair 7 hr Joe Giddeon 1
anyone ever let wife be seduced by another guy. wa (Sep '14) 11 hr 3somefun 182

Cape Girardeau Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance