Guns, mental health, and violent vide...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Guest

Jackson, MO

#21 Dec 31, 2012
All of those drugs advise that they can cause psychotic, delusional, hostile behavior....
Semper Fi

Cape Girardeau, MO

#22 Dec 31, 2012
There have been countless studies on this. There is no correlation between violence in media (games, movies, etc) and actual violence. There certainly isn't causation. Any relationship between the two is spurious at best.

Any one with any knowledge of statistics, causality, or logic understands this. It is the armchair "experts" who don't have a clue that keep bringing it up.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121219/095...

Since: Apr 10

St. Louis, MO

#23 Dec 31, 2012
Semper Fi wrote:
There have been countless studies on this. There is no correlation between violence in media (games, movies, etc) and actual violence. There certainly isn't causation. Any relationship between the two is spurious at best.
Any one with any knowledge of statistics, causality, or logic understands this. It is the armchair "experts" who don't have a clue that keep bringing it up.
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121219/095...
Where did you say you got your doctorate in psychiatry again?
I must have missed that.

Since: Apr 10

St. Louis, MO

#24 Dec 31, 2012
Guest wrote:
Blaming guns or video games is ridiculous. Some people are just plain screwed up either naturally or due to life events, circumstances, bad parents lacking parenting skills, communication & lacking a good family life. I am a gamer myself and I know many others, just like I know many people that own firearms. There are many of those gamers & firearms owners that I would trust my child's safety with, some i wouldn't, but I don't make that justification based on who plays video games & owns guns.
Not looking at the underlying problems is equally ridiculous.

“Humor is the best medicine!!”

Since: Oct 09

Show-Me-State

#25 Dec 31, 2012
Guest wrote:
Blaming guns or video games is ridiculous. Some people are just plain screwed up either naturally or due to life events, circumstances, bad parents lacking parenting skills, communication & lacking a good family life. I am a gamer myself and I know many others, just like I know many people that own firearms. There are many of those gamers & firearms owners that I would trust my child's safety with, some i wouldn't, but I don't make that justification based on who plays video games & owns guns.
You points are well taken and have in fact already been mentioned on this thread. Many gamers as well as gun owners are responsible and perfectly sane as well as no threat to society but in those circumstances where there is perhaps mental illness the combination is deadly.

Maybe we should talk about the origin of games as simulators. The military began the use of simulators many years ago and found them beneficial when the users were actually placed in real life situations. For the unstable person it can, I would surmise, could have the same effect.

“Humor is the best medicine!!”

Since: Oct 09

Show-Me-State

#26 Dec 31, 2012
Guest wrote:
In over 97% of the mass shootings, the shooters were being medicated with psychotropic drugs, just a thought.
I had intended for this type of observation to be the intent of the original post and that is some of the things these shooters had in common. Mental illness and being gamers are least of those similarities.

“Humor is the best medicine!!”

Since: Oct 09

Show-Me-State

#27 Dec 31, 2012
Semper Fi wrote:
There have been countless studies on this. There is no correlation between violence in media (games, movies, etc) and actual violence. There certainly isn't causation. Any relationship between the two is spurious at best.
Any one with any knowledge of statistics, causality, or logic understands this. It is the armchair "experts" who don't have a clue that keep bringing it up.
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121219/095...
How about desensitization?
Engelhardt, Christopher R; Bartholow, Bruce D; Kerr, Geoffrey T; Bushman, Brad J.
Journal of Experimental Social Psychology. Vol.47(5), Sep 2011, pp. 1033-1036.
[Journal; Peer Reviewed Journal]
Year of Publication
2011
AB Previous research has shown that media violence exposure can cause desensitization to violence, which in theory can increase aggression. However, no study to date has demonstrated this association. In the present experiment, participants played a violent or nonviolent video game, viewed violent and nonviolent photos while their brain activity was measured, and then gave an ostensible opponent unpleasant noise blasts. Participants low in previous exposure to video game violence who played a violent (relative to a nonviolent) game showed a reduction in the P3 component of the event-related brain potential (ERP) to violent images (indicating physiological desensitization), and this brain response mediated the effect of video game content on subsequent aggressive behavior. These data provide the first experimental evidence linking violence desensitization with increased aggression, and show that a neural marker of this process can at least partially account for the causal link between violent game exposure and aggression.(PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2012 APA, all rights reserved)(journal abstract)

“Humor is the best medicine!!”

Since: Oct 09

Show-Me-State

#28 Dec 31, 2012
Kim, Ock Tae.
Dissertation Abstracts International Section A: Humanities and Social Sciences. Vol.70(12-A),2010, pp. 4507.
[Dissertation Abstract]
Year of Publication
2010

This dissertation focused on the effects of violent content, game controller, gender, and previous exposure to violent video games on player desensitization. One week before a lab experiment, participants completed an online questionnaire assessing previous exposure to violent video games, attitudes toward violence and judgments of newspaper crime stories. In the lab, participants were randomly assigned to play a violent game with a realistic gun controller, a violent game with a traditional gamepad controller, or a non-violent game with a gamepad controller. This dissertation's overall findings suggest the significant effects of long-term desensitization such that those with high previous exposure show different reactions during and after playing a video game than those with low previous exposure to such games. In addition, violent content and controller realism were directly and indirectly related to desensitization outcomes. Finally, males appeared to be more vulnerable to desensitization than were females.(PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2012 APA, all rights reserved)
Guest

Jackson, MO

#29 Dec 31, 2012
KeelysMom wrote:
<quoted text>You points are well taken and have in fact already been mentioned on this thread. Many gamers as well as gun owners are responsible and perfectly sane as well as no threat to society but in those circumstances where there is perhaps mental illness the combination is deadly.

Maybe we should talk about the origin of games as simulators. The military began the use of simulators many years ago and found them beneficial when the users were actually placed in real life situations. For the unstable person it can, I would surmise, could have the same effect.
For training simulation, not to make them psychotic killers. Playing video games does NOT make you a killer

“Humor is the best medicine!!”

Since: Oct 09

Show-Me-State

#30 Dec 31, 2012
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
For training simulation, not to make them psychotic killers. Playing video games does NOT make you a killer


I agree, video games do not make you a killer just like owner a gun does not make you a killer.

“Humor is the best medicine!!”

Since: Oct 09

Show-Me-State

#31 Dec 31, 2012
That should be owning a gun. However, when someone is psychotic that is not always the case.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cape Girardeau Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sikeston, MO man facing murder charges in Cape ... 1 hr About time 1
Anyone ever had to sue a Carpenter? 2 hr Dr phill 28
Homeless 3 hr Vonnie 16
What's Going On At Saint Francis Medical Center? 4 hr Guest 10
cta 5 hr Cgres 11
Hows trump workin out for ya 6 hr Guest 363
Bill Maher 8 hr Guest 63

Cape Girardeau Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cape Girardeau Mortgages