Cape Girardeau, MO

#233 Jan 17, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes reimbursement from insurance, Medicare & Medicaid may be the same. However, what you don't understand is that insured patients are charged the difference. So really, who is foolish & misguided?
Insured patients belong to PPO networks. These networks have fee schedules that the providers accept, usually about one third of charges. And people without insurance qualify for the charity program. The reimbursement isn't like it used to be. Why is it you think that physicians and hospitals shouldn't be paid for their work? They have bills just like everyone else. Telephone, utilities,(how much do you think it costs to keep the lights on at Saint Francis and Southeast each day?) the computers that are required for electronic health records, the supplies; sheets, bandages, the furnishings-chairs, T.V.s, beds. The list is endless. I agree medical costs are high but the contractual adjustments are also very high. Consider this; physicians and hospitals pay increased rates for all expenses each year, including insurance premiums; but insurance reimbursement declines each year. Most insurance companies are working very hard to get in line with Medicare reimbursement and are nearly there now. Charges are one thing but reimbursement is a completely different thing. No one is trying to intentionally gouge anyone.
Golly Gee

Ballwin, MO

#234 Jan 17, 2013
Nice try. It is evident what has been going on here for the last 15 years or so. Expect some visitors soon.
j Hoover

Ballwin, MO

#235 Jan 17, 2013
"All that is required for Evil to prevail is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

Sikeston, MO

#236 Jan 17, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>Insured patients belong to PPO networks. These networks have fee schedules that the providers accept, usually about one third of charges. And people without insurance qualify for the charity program. The reimbursement isn't like it used to be. Why is it you think that physicians and hospitals shouldn't be paid for their work? They have bills just like everyone else. Telephone, utilities,(how much do you think it costs to keep the lights on at Saint Francis and Southeast each day?) the computers that are required for electronic health records, the supplies; sheets, bandages, the furnishings-chairs, T.V.s, beds. The list is endless. I agree medical costs are high but the contractual adjustments are also very high. Consider this; physicians and hospitals pay increased rates for all expenses each year, including insurance premiums; but insurance reimbursement declines each year. Most insurance companies are working very hard to get in line with Medicare reimbursement and are nearly there now. Charges are one thing but reimbursement is a completely different thing. No one is trying to intentionally gouge anyone.
I'll address your post in parts. First your explanation about reimbursements & PPOs. I'm well aware of how the insurance system works. Not all insurance programs have PPOs. Not all patients use or even live "in network". While many insurance companies do enter into an agreement with local providers ie hospitals, clinics & physician groups, those same providers negotiate too. The insurance company doesn't just "pick a price"! "Usual & Customary" charges vary in different areas all across the state & country. These "Usual & Customary" charges" are much higher in Cape Girardeau due to the exorbitant costs associated with the duplication of services by one hospital trying to "one up" the other by purchasing extremely costly medical equipment & absurd spending on advertising. Next your quote "people without insurance qualify for the charity program". What program is that exactly? What is the name of it? Most hospitals have a indigent fund. These are not really a program at all, actually just a fund available for patients who request it in writing. They usually don't pay off the entire bill, just a portion & a persons best bet is to submit their request in the first part of July, as that is when the fiscal calendar & new budget starts. Most funds don't make it through the quarter before they are depleted. If you would have read the article, it states that the "charity funds" are minuscule at best. Other hospitals the same size as the two in Cape have funds much, much larger. The reason the Cape hospitals don't is because they are paying up to 10x more in advertising & trying to outdo the other in medical machines/equipment!
Your assertion that I believe that "physicians and hospitals shouldn't be paid for their work?" Is absolutely ludicrous. I think they should, however I think they are spending WAY too much on trying to outdo the other & advertising costs! Your comment "No one is trying to intentionally gouge anyone" is quite suspect with me, as it sounds like you are defensive & most likely work at one of the hospitals in accounting or administration. I think it's been proven that the 2 hospitals in Cape are doing just that (gouging) to try to keep up their revenue to continue in this silly "contest" they are playing w/the other! Your comment "keeping the lights on" is a common quote, often used by administration at hospitals. How do I know this, I've been a nurse for 25 years! I'm well aware of hospital expenses & healthcare issues, obviously more informed about it than you!
Favorite Sweater

Ballwin, MO

#237 Jan 18, 2013
Thank you for your posting, the truth is good to read.
Too much

Bell City, MO

#238 Jan 18, 2013
My Drs office is in Jackson, when I first started going my insurance was billed about $80 and I paid my $25 co-pay. Now that St Frances bought it last year I noticed that my insurance is being billed OVER $300 and I still pay my $25 copay. I am seeing the Dr the same amount of time 15 to 20 minutes so why did the amount go up so high for the same services? Insurance doesn't pay the full bill but still that is a huge price difference.

Sikeston, MO

#239 Jan 18, 2013
Favorite Sweater wrote:
Thank you for your posting, the truth is good to read.
If you were talking to me, you are welcome. I can't stand manipulation, bs & another person to spew skewered information & lies! The citizens in Cape Girardeau & the surrounding areas deserve the absolute truth. It's about time those in administration & those who benefit from the advertising windfall be held accountable for their actions!
wrong

Saint Louis, MO

#240 Jan 18, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>If you were talking to me, you are welcome. I can't stand manipulation, bs & another person to spew skewered information & lies! The citizens in Cape Girardeau & the surrounding areas deserve the absolute truth. It's about time those in administration & those who benefit from the advertising windfall be held accountable for their actions!
Said the disgruntled nurse.

Sikeston, MO

#241 Jan 18, 2013
wrong wrote:
<quoted text>Said the disgruntled nurse.
Not disgruntled at all. What would make you think that?
Mephisto

United States

#242 Jan 18, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll address your post in parts. First your explanation about reimbursements & PPOs. I'm well aware of how the insurance system works. Not all insurance programs have PPOs. Not all patients use or even live "in network". While many insurance companies do enter into an agreement with local providers ie hospitals, clinics & physician groups, those same providers negotiate too. The insurance company doesn't just "pick a price"! "Usual & Customary" charges vary in different areas all across the state & country. These "Usual & Customary" charges" are much higher in Cape Girardeau due to the exorbitant costs associated with the duplication of services by one hospital trying to "one up" the other by purchasing extremely costly medical equipment & absurd spending on advertising. Next your quote "people without insurance qualify for the charity program". What program is that exactly? What is the name of it? Most hospitals have a indigent fund. These are not really a program at all, actually just a fund available for patients who request it in writing. They usually don't pay off the entire bill, just a portion & a persons best bet is to submit their request in the first part of July, as that is when the fiscal calendar & new budget starts. Most funds don't make it through the quarter before they are depleted. If you would have read the article, it states that the "charity funds" are minuscule at best. Other hospitals the same size as the two in Cape have funds much, much larger. The reason the Cape hospitals don't is because they are paying up to 10x more in advertising & trying to outdo the other in medical machines/equipment!
Your assertion that I believe that "physicians and hospitals shouldn't be paid for their work?" Is absolutely ludicrous. I think they should, however I think they are spending WAY too much on trying to outdo the other & advertising costs! Your comment "No one is trying to intentionally gouge anyone" is quite suspect with me, as it sounds like you are defensive & most likely work at one of the hospitals in accounting or administration. I think it's been proven that the 2 hospitals in Cape are doing just that (gouging) to try to keep up their revenue to continue in this silly "contest" they are playing w/the other! Your comment "keeping the lights on" is a common quote, often used by administration at hospitals. How do I know this, I've been a nurse for 25 years! I'm well aware of hospital expenses & healthcare issues, obviously more informed about it than you!
This is the first rational post on this thread.
Loopy

Ballwin, MO

#243 Jan 18, 2013
Interesting wrote:
Which hospital(s) in St. Louis are preferred? Barnes Jewish is a teaching hospital. I don't want a student doing hip or back surgery on me.
Question: Why are the two hospitals expanding their services into surrounding areas when they can't succeed with good patient care, etc. in Cape?
You are so far away from intelligence. I cannot help you.

Cape Girardeau, MO

#244 Jan 18, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
And you must be an old ignorant ex-nurse living in the past. I did not waste my time reading that ridiculous story because it was so off track it was laughable. While you are on your soap box though, why don't you explain the bad debt away, too!

Cape Girardeau, MO

#245 Jan 18, 2013
And since you are such a know-it-all why don't you just explain your solution to all of us. Or would you rather just piss & moan about the issues you disagree with?

Sikeston, MO

#246 Jan 18, 2013
Guest wrote:
And since you are such a know-it-all why don't you just explain your solution to all of us. Or would you rather just piss & moan about the issues you disagree with?
First I'm not old, I'm in my 40's. I'm not a know it all but I do know a little about how a hospital is operated. I'm not "pissing & moaning" about anything! I've stated facts. Your upset because I've explained the truth of how things are actually done! I've NEVER attacked anyone. I've never said either of the hospitals were no good! In fact I believe the exact opposite. There are some wonderful Drs, nurses & staff at both hospitals. The care is exceptional! My solution is simple...stop the silly competition & stop spending way too much on unnecessary advertising. Use that money to pay nurses & other staff better, as well as making more funding available for charity/indigent funds. If you would've read my post in its entirety, you could've saved yourself some time. People like you infuriate me! You sit behind a computer & since you're not educated or informed on the issue & have nothing of real value to add to a serious discussion you post rude & stupid remarks & insults! Grow up & stop picking fights like a third grader!
Smart Person

Ballwin, MO

#247 Jan 18, 2013
I had my operation at Barnes Jewish Hospital in Saint Louis. I could not have been more pleased with the doctors, nurses, and staff. That is REALLY a top hospital. Educate yourselves, your life just may depend on it. It was very clean too!
Nurse Two

Sikeston, MO

#248 Jan 19, 2013
Doctor Stiffpecker wrote:
Someone call for Stiffpecker? You can count on me when it comes to getting a job done. Just give me a little nudge or a pat on the head and I'll pop right up. Until then I'll be pokin around this ole St. Frances case and see if I can get to the bottom of it. I'm thinkin we should rent a billboard from them old hamburger and hotel boys that says "Boycott KFVS and The Southeast Missourian". Two outa three scoundrels ain't bad!
Are you still working on getting to the bottom of this case Dr? Have you been too busy? Lol

Cape Girardeau, MO

#249 Jan 19, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
First I'm not old, I'm in my 40's. I'm not a know it all but I do know a little about how a hospital is operated. I'm not "pissing & moaning" about anything! I've stated facts. Your upset because I've explained the truth of how things are actually done! I've NEVER attacked anyone. I've never said either of the hospitals were no good! In fact I believe the exact opposite. There are some wonderful Drs, nurses & staff at both hospitals. The care is exceptional! My solution is simple...stop the silly competition & stop spending way too much on unnecessary advertising. Use that money to pay nurses & other staff better, as well as making more funding available for charity/indigent funds. If you would've read my post in its entirety, you could've saved yourself some time. People like you infuriate me! You sit behind a computer & since you're not educated or informed on the issue & have nothing of real value to add to a serious discussion you post rude & stupid remarks & insults! Grow up & stop picking fights like a third grader!
BAD DEBT? No explanation for that millions? You still sound like a wanna be know it all to me! And i don't, for one second, believe you're in your forties. Unless a hospital advertises the general public will not be fully aware of services offered. Continuous advertising reaches communities outside the Cape Girardeau area. I'm sure you didn't know that bariatric surgery was offered at both hospitals until you saw the advertising. Correct? Now you can go to either hospital you chose when you finally decide to have the procedure done. Saint Francis is a Trauma Center and other communities need to know this. I've seen advertising for BJC, Children's, Saint Jude and LaBonhuer and I've never accused those facilities of over charging or gouging. I appreciate knowing I have choices. I think everyone would be less than pleased if we did not have the choice of facilities and providers.
Brian

Ballwin, MO

#250 Jan 19, 2013
You are a TOOL of SF. A little advertising is fine, every other commercial is SF! If that wasn't enough they harass me through the mail. fck them.
Burger Kings

Ballwin, MO

#251 Jan 19, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
BAD DEBT? No explanation for that millions? You still sound like a wanna be know it all to me! And i don't, for one second, believe you're in your forties. Unless a hospital advertises the general public will not be fully aware of services offered. Continuous advertising reaches communities outside the Cape Girardeau area. I'm sure you didn't know that bariatric surgery was offered at both hospitals until you saw the advertising. Correct? Now you can go to either hospital you chose when you finally decide to have the procedure done. Saint Francis is a Trauma Center and other communities need to know this. I've seen advertising for BJC, Children's, Saint Jude and LaBonhuer and I've never accused those facilities of over charging or gouging. I appreciate knowing I have choices. I think everyone would be less than pleased if we did not have the choice of facilities and providers.
Where does the money come from to pay the fees for the television, print, web, and radio advertising?

Sikeston, MO

#252 Jan 19, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>BAD DEBT? No explanation for that millions? You still sound like a wanna be know it all to me! And i don't, for one second, believe you're in your forties. Unless a hospital advertises the general public will not be fully aware of services offered. Continuous advertising reaches communities outside the Cape Girardeau area. I'm sure you didn't know that bariatric surgery was offered at both hospitals until you saw the advertising. Correct? Now you can go to either hospital you chose when you finally decide to have the procedure done. Saint Francis is a Trauma Center and other communities need to know this. I've seen advertising for BJC, Children's, Saint Jude and LaBonhuer and I've never accused those facilities of over charging or gouging. I appreciate knowing I have choices. I think everyone would be less than pleased if we did not have the choice of facilities and providers.
"BAD DEBT? No explanation for that millions?" What are you talking about? Or do you even know yourself? I never said they shouldn't advertise. If you would read & could comprehend what is written in the St. Louis article is that for hospitals their size, serving communities the size that they serve, they are overspending by @ least 10x when compared! It's all about proportion! Many consumers choose which hospital gets their business based on personal experience & based on experiences & comments by friends & family members. I could care less if you believe I'm in my 40's. You seem to be the only one attacking my explanations! I wonder why that is?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cape Girardeau Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evil Probation Officers (Feb '12) 43 min SEMOproud 74
charlie horse during sex (Apr '11) 44 min fatmama26 37
who got shot 46 min quinta 5
Anyone ever had or let their wife be seduced by... 1 hr Forher 20
Why I can't stand going 2 Walmart (Jan '11) 2 hr Dare you 109
Packy Ayers 2 hr unanswered? 14
Why do black people stink so bad? (Feb '14) 5 hr Whiteperson1876 80
Cape Girardeau Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web