First Prev
of 2
Next Last
anonymous

Finger, TN

#1 Jun 19, 2008
What is the best sorority and fraternity in Cape? My children are interested in becoming Greek and i was wondering if anyone had any "low down"
Thanks
fxpwt

Cape Girardeau, MO

#2 Jun 21, 2008
Suggest to check with the university to learn the fraternity/sorority grade point averages as compared to the whole student body average, as well as any specific history of recent problems or violations. Hopefully this would be information available to the public, or at least to incoming students and parents.

Also suggest your children go through the 'rush' process, where they will have the opportunity to meet members and to gain a quick insight to each individual organization. The membership turns completely over roughly once every four years, so it's important that they have the opportunity to see the present state of the organizations in order to find the best-fit for them.

I had a very positive experience with my membership in a fraternity - lots of social activities as well as philanthropic (charity) projects. An excellent means to offset the rigors of academic study, as long as things aren't taken to extremes.

It's important to check out the specific organizations on the given campus. Many of the organizations have chapters at colleges across the nation, but there are the 'good-egg' local chapters as well as the bad ones, and one can't reliably go by the name alone.

In general, things seem to have been cleaned up quite a bit from the 'Animal House' stereotype, however, there are still a few of these houses of debauchery around giving a bad name to all Greeks.
Well

Jackson, MO

#3 Jun 22, 2008
If you'd like to pay for your child's friends, I'm sure there's not much difference between them. =)
Michelob

Cape Girardeau, MO

#4 Jul 13, 2008
GDI all the way :)
Greek

United States

#5 Jul 15, 2008
I believe that all the fraternities and sororities are evenly great! And no you don't PAY for your friends. Each one has a charity they donate money to, as well as a fund for alumni in case they have a fire, or any other tragedy and may need help, so that is why there is a semester fee, and it's not that expensive, atleast it wasn't for me coming from a middle class family. I felt it was completely worth it. Going through "rush", you know where you fit in, it's that simple. But I don't have any harsh words for any of the fraternities or sororities, it's up to the person joining as to where they feel they belong!
Also Greek

United States

#6 Jul 15, 2008
I never felt as though I was "paying" for my friends. I was alone at college my freshman year with no friends, since I knew no one, and by the end of the semester, I had 100 girls that I could talk to, go places with, and completely trust. We also had study hours weekly, that way everyone kept their grades up. We even compete with other fraternities and sororities for best total GPA. It was great motivation for college, especially as a freshman! I would encourage anyone to rush!
Also Greek

United States

#7 Jul 15, 2008
Oh, and no offense to the "GDI's". I had lots of friends in college that I met over the years, WHILE going to greek functions that weren't actually greek. Most of them ended up hanging out with all of us anyways, and might as well been greek!
Elizabeth

United States

#8 Jul 16, 2008
It's best to go into rush with no preconceived notions of the chapters. Otherwise, the person going through rush could end up with no chapter. If you go through knowing which chapter you want to be in, often you treat other chapters differently, which could keep them from seeing the real you, in turn keeping you out of a chapter you didn't know you wanted to be in, but truly belong in. I wouldn't select a chapter by what anyone says, it is something you have to decide yourself. Plus chapters can change within five years, so if in 2003 one chapter was the "smartest" chapter, they may now have the lowest grades. Things change, so just tell your children to go with where they feel the most comfortable, and if they end up somewhere they don't want to be, tell them to give it a chance, you'd be surprised at how perfectly the rush system works.
Elizabeth

United States

#9 Jul 16, 2008
Oh, and you aren't paying for friends. You have to pay dues for any club. Most clubs are $10-$20 to meet once a month, fraternities and sororities meet weekly plus have activities almost daily, so $200 is not much considering how much you do.
Greekalum

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Jul 21, 2008
I highly recomend that your children go greek. it is the best way to guarentee that they get the full expierence, as well as more dates and more.....well greek fun.
Bad idea

Osage Beach, MO

#11 Jul 30, 2008
I find it very offensive that greeks often refer to non-greeks as "GDI's", or "God-d*mn Independents." Do you really want your child to be a part of that?
anonymous

United States

#12 Jul 31, 2008
Oh dont be a baby, Non-greeks call greeks much worse names than that, fortunately I'm mature enough to realize that no matter what, there will always be a competitive tension between groups of people. Greek life does a lot for student's grades, networking for future jobs, and improves one's self efficacy and confidence. Greek students raise much, MUCH more money for charitable organizations than non-greeks and typically more active in school programs. I understand that it is hard for someone who wasn't greek to see why greek life means so much to some people, but take a look at the people who are greek and see how devoted they are to a cause and each other.
I have

Jackson, MO

#13 Jul 31, 2008
and I'm aware of plenty of people who have entered Greek organizations and subsequently dropped out of school because their grades went down the toilet, causing them to lose out on scholarships and the like. I'm not saying all Greek organizations are bad, but I AM saying that there's a lot of pro-Greek supporters here who aren't admitting to both sides of the story.
hmmm

Hopkins, MN

#14 Aug 1, 2008
Also Greek wrote:
I never felt as though I was "paying" for my friends. I was alone at college my freshman year with no friends, since I knew no one, and by the end of the semester, I had 100 girls that I could talk to, go places with, and completely trust. We also had study hours weekly, that way everyone kept their grades up. We even compete with other fraternities and sororities for best total GPA. It was great motivation for college, especially as a freshman! I would encourage anyone to rush!
"completely trust?" so since you join make all the others trustworthy?? pretty risky... probably when there's trouble in the group there's usuall a handfull involved.
Just say no

Osage Beach, MO

#15 Aug 1, 2008
I think one of the biggest problems with the idea of a Greek organization is that for every "friend" you gain, you alienate a LOT of others. I can say this from personal experience, because I am dating someone who joined a Greek organization (albeit briefly, though that wasn't the original intention), and basically only my girlfriend's roommate in the Greek house accepted me. The others did not, and they made it clear that they did not because I was not Greek.(Literally, they told my girlfriend she should find another boyfriend who was Greek or that she should "convince" me to join a Greek organization.) Needless to say, her experience in Greek life was more or less terrible, and she only remained for one semester.

I can't safely say all Greek organizations are like this, but still, it's a distinct possibility that most of them are this way. At the time I was in college, they all seemed to come across that way, that's for sure.
Elizabeth

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Aug 20, 2008
I have wrote:
and I'm aware of plenty of people who have entered Greek organizations and subsequently dropped out of school because their grades went down the toilet, causing them to lose out on scholarships and the like. I'm not saying all Greek organizations are bad, but I AM saying that there's a lot of pro-Greek supporters here who aren't admitting to both sides of the story.
I know just as many, if not more, non-Greeks that have dropped out of school for grades, or been kicked out. Greeks encourage their members to achieve high GPAs and most sororities (I don't know about fraternities) have GPA's over the female campus average. You have to maintain a GPA to stay with the chapter and if you don't maintain that, they offer tutoring and study hours. Greek organizations really focus on keeping grades up. Many sororities even have more 4.0s than GPAs under 3.0
SEMO Alum

North Wales, PA

#17 Sep 4, 2008
anonymous wrote:
What is the best sorority and fraternity in Cape? My children are interested in becoming Greek and i was wondering if anyone had any "low down"
Thanks
Frat-Theta Xi all the way. My hubby's frat. Go Zukes!
Hell Yeah

Milwaukee, WI

#18 Sep 4, 2008
Greekalum wrote:
I highly recomend that your children go greek. it is the best way to guarentee that they get the full expierence, as well as more dates and more.....well greek fun.
Hell yeah, drunken orgies and lots of p*ssy....
SEMO alum

Aurora, IL

#19 Oct 23, 2008
ALPHA CHI OMEGA and SIGMA CHI
Yeah

United States

#20 Nov 5, 2010
Delta!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cape Girardeau Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone ever had or let their wife be seduced by... (Feb '15) 1 hr Darryl Green 530
snitches (Jul '11) 2 hr Keith Tarillion 58
Carly O'Keefe 4 hr Shelly Janet 5
Dustin Wren MURDERED! 4 hr Shelly Janet 17
SFMC cleaning house 4 hr fusionpatient 54
Jim Rust files bankruptcy is Gary Rust Next? 7 hr anna 6
New Bald Guy at Rhodes on North Sprigg 8 hr Richard 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cape Girardeau Mortgages