Guest

Jackson, MO

#514 Apr 2, 2012
Reply to be informed wrote:
If EmCare fails, it makes administration look even worse. You may not agree with their decisions, but they don't want failure. Trust me...this town is too small for all the big wigs associated with SE to go down in flames.
The logical answer to your question, if you chose to believe it, would be that the few individuals in Management making these "cost saving" decisions have no real intent on staying with Southeast Health. As the past shows, Management changes frequently. They were likely given a list of objectives or achievements to accomplish during their tenure. I suspect they will march down this list making decisions that ultimately place the care of patients secondary to arbitrary cost factors.
Reply to be informed

Dallas, TX

#515 Apr 2, 2012
You obviously are not from here. Look at the Board, look at your CEO, look at your Executive VP. Those are old Cape family names. They are not going to go down without trying to rescue themselves. If the hospital fails, they fail. I suspect it is you who is not from here because you have yet to figure it out.
Truth

Saint Louis, MO

#516 Apr 2, 2012
Reply to be informed wrote:
You obviously are not from here. Look at the Board, look at your CEO, look at your Executive VP. Those are old Cape family names. They are not going to go down without trying to rescue themselves. If the hospital fails, they fail. I suspect it is you who is not from here because you have yet to figure it out.
Guess they have all decided to go down with the ship. If they really cared this BS would have been stopped a long time ago. Maybe they are getting paid to help it go down. Other health care systems seem to have an endless supply of money!
Guest

Jackson, MO

#517 Apr 2, 2012
Reply to be informed wrote:
You obviously are not from here. Look at the Board, look at your CEO, look at your Executive VP. Those are old Cape family names. They are not going to go down without trying to rescue themselves. If the hospital fails, they fail. I suspect it is you who is not from here because you have yet to figure it out.
Let's break it down into a question for you to answer. Do you think firing long standing, locally based ER Doctors in favor of hiring lowest bid / rent-a-docs is the best thing to do for the standard of patient care?

Stop counting your pennies just for a second and think about what is best for the patient and the confidence that patient has in Southeast Health.

I cannot wait to see your answer to this question.
guest

Centralia, IL

#518 Apr 2, 2012
I think it starting going down when we changed the name from Southeast Hospital to Southeast Health. We are family. I think we need some rent-a-administrators, they are overpaid high priced what? I havent' figured that one out yet. What is next Nurse Managers? It seems to me we have way too many chiefs and not enough indians. Who is really behind this? I'm not really crazy about the spirit of St Francis, I still think we have them beat on people, caring and spirit. It is not the administrators that bust their ass day in and day out, its the doctors, the nurses, the techs, the aides. It seems like the managers on up keep getting higher pay, what about the one's that truly have one on one care with the patients? Well if your not on a committee there goes your raise. What part of caring is that? What happened to being gentle and kind and caring to the patient, when did that go out the window? We are so busy promoting with fancy thank you cards, etc, that we forget why we are nurses, why we are doc's, why we are tech's, why we are aides? It's because we care about the patient. I asked the Doc's what are you gonna do? What a class act, you know what they said, "I'm going to take care of these patient's. That is what I am going to do. What happens, happens, just saying, let's get back to healthcare and not promote the hospital. Put the CARE back in southeast's motto. It is still there, because it is in our hearts and soul's. The people who leave will leave, the one's who stay truly care. EmCARE, if you are for this, they are a monopoly I do believe. God Bless You and Yours if you read this. Pray for us left behind picking up the pieces from our patients.
guest

Centralia, IL

#519 Apr 2, 2012
Instead of cutting down on Doctor's, maybe cut down on all the "FAT". Didn't we hire 6 new administrators?
In response to reply

Jackson, MO

#520 Apr 3, 2012
Wow, first of all you must really hate physicians in general or are jealous, I am not sure which. For being someone not in the know, you yourself make alot of accusations. You claim to have facts but don't present anything of substance. Not once did the hospitalist group make a concern about how much they make as to why they didn't want to be outsourced. They even offered to have their pay and incentives cut to avoid being outsourced because their primary concern is always the patients in the end. Because big Barnes and Chicago see more pt's per physcian doesn't make it right. Studies have been done (SHM, ACP, etc.)that have shown hospitalist physicians seeing upwards of 20 plus patients on a daily basis is a detriment to pt. care, safety, and just being able to get them well and discharged in a timely manner. For you to claim it's not a patient safety issue makes me think that you have a jaded view of all physicians in general and your tone just makes most of your other statements somewhat laughable. You obviously think one doc is just as good as the other and easily replaceable, tell that to the veterans who alot of times get such inadequate care.

Also of note, with regards to the administrators at Southeast. One of the main proponents of this outsourcing is only a locums administrator, one who said he does VP work as a hobby now that he is mostly retired, so he doesn't have a vested interest whatsoever about the fate of Southeast. He doesn't even live in this region. Southeast was entertained by three different companies, the other two both claiming that it was laughable and unsafe to have only three physicians on during the day with the acuity of patients seen and with regards to the groups overall case/mix index. The overall pay and incentives was essentially even across the board from all three companies. The administration chose EM care purely based on the cheapest option, with complete disregard to how it will overall affect pt. care and employee satisfaction with all of the great healthcare employees that work at Southeast.

Since: Apr 12

Jackson, MO

#521 Apr 3, 2012
I worked there for over 19 yrs, I had to leave the same month Mr. Wente retired due to health reason's. I have family that works there, and yes it is a crap hole to be in. Someone not getting a raise for not taking ETO! Please! They have lost a lot of very good employee's since that woman was hired! The hospital board let her have a free hand on everything! Some employee's are doing more than their fair share! When I was there, I always said the right hand don't know what the left hand is doing, not so any more, they all know and it just ain't good!
Mr. Wente would of never let it get to this point! Ever!
Replying

East Alton, IL

#522 Apr 3, 2012
"Wow, first of all you must really hate physicians in general or are jealous, I am not sure which."

Whatever, put your business on Topix and you're going to get opinion. Just because I don't agree with yours doesn't mean I hate physicians or am jealous. You're reaching there.

"Not once did the hospitalist group make a concern about how much they make as to why they didn't want to be outsourced."
A previous post of yours:
"Yes, both the hospitalist and ER physicians are paid higher than the national average. However, they are paid below the regions average pay for these positions. The regions average is higher than the national average due to the fact that places like Cape Girardeau offer nothing compared to the east and west coast."

I didn't say it was about money. I said you whine about having to work so hard. You are no different than anyone else. Could the hospital survive without laundry or lab or nurses? It's an equal playing field. At least those services can whine about how hard they work and how little they get paid, contrary to your salary.

"Because big Barnes and Chicago see more pt's per physcian doesn't make it right. Studies have been done (SHM, ACP, etc.)that have shown hospitalist physicians seeing upwards of 20 plus patients on a daily basis is a detriment to pt. care, safety, and just being able to get them well and discharged in a timely manner."

How come the hospitalist at St. Francis can see this many patients and their outcomes are equal or better than SE? And, as anyone who as ever worked in a hospital knows, census waxes and wanes.

"For you to claim it's not a patient safety issue makes me think that you have a jaded view of all physicians in general and your tone just makes most of your other statements somewhat laughable. You obviously think one doc is just as good as the other and easily replaceable, tell that to the veterans who alot of times get such inadequate care."

My tone...you have no idea how much I care about patient safety. What I find laughable is that you disagree with a decision so it is automatically wrong and bad. I mean really? What makes you the decider of all? I promise you didn't start that program and most of the hospitalist are relatively new so it's not as if you have given your life to SE hospital. But...you certainly "feel" like you know best and it is going to fail without you. I DO NOT think all doctors are equal. Far from it.

That last part about the VP...Whatever. Your reputation precedes you and if that person does a bad job his will precede him..and good luck with that.
Guest 2

Frisco, TX

#523 Apr 3, 2012
Reply to be informed wrote:
You obviously are not from here. Look at the Board, look at your CEO, look at your Executive VP. Those are old Cape family names. They are not going to go down without trying to rescue themselves. If the hospital fails, they fail. I suspect it is you who is not from here because you have yet to figure it out.
First of all the hospital will survive. Second the COO, CFO, & the guy who made this EmCare deal are NOT from this area at all. The guy who made this deal is only here for 6 months just to make this change then leave us to deal.
Yes and

Dallas, TX

#524 Apr 4, 2012
Guest 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all the hospital will survive. Second the COO, CFO, & the guy who made this EmCare deal are NOT from this area at all. The guy who made this deal is only here for 6 months just to make this change then leave us to deal.
And the Board agreed to it. You and I agree on a point. The hospital will survive. The changes may hurt and I am sorry for the staff. They've had to feel the squeeze of the belt tightening. Shame on the reckless who didn't plan better in the last several years to keep the hospital more sustainable. It hasn't been difficult to see the failure of health care in our country. SE is a family, but it is also a business. There must be fiscal responsibility regardless of who it affects. Hopefully a balance can be created that is a work smarter and safer model, protecting the public/patient. Simply, things cannot continue status quo. Sad but true. Blame it on whoever you want, that's the fact jack.
Guest

Tickfaw, LA

#525 Apr 4, 2012
I wonder where St. francis would be if they did not have the roman Catholic church backing them up.
In response to reply

Jackson, MO

#526 Apr 4, 2012
I don't see how the comment about how much physicians make in the area has any bearing on how negotiations were made between the hospitalist group and the administration/EM care. That post wasn't mine, I don't know who wrote it. You are certainly fixated on how much physicians make in general and unless you have actually gone through what it takes to become a board certified physician, you really have no authority on the subject other than the blind assumptions that many of the public have in general. None of the hospitalists at Southeast "whine" about how many patients they have to see on a daily basis, they go about their business in a professional manner and when it's busy, they stay late and make sure their patients are taken care of so as not to dump a mess on the night doc. You are taking comments from this forum as what the group at Southeast thinks, and that is quite a stretch.

St. Francis has a good system, they make more than their counterpart at Southeast. And however many patients they round on a daily basis, to which I am also guessing you don't truly know the numbers, those same docs that are rounding also don't have to do admits throughout the day, which is a huge burden off of their day.

Southeast is a business, but when the corporate heads make decisions that directly affect the lives and overall futures of the underlings, including the doctors, without their input is a bad business model in general. That's why unions arise. Those in charge basically told the hospitalist group that their opinion didn't matter, and obviously it didn't because EM care was chosen. One hospitalist in the program had to leave because they can't work for a "for profit" organization, so they had to scramble and find a job somewhere else by July or leave the country. The hospital didn't care. You are obviously a proponent of the Southeast business model so I would invite you to take the time, come down to Cape Girardeau and interview the multiple wonderful employees here at Southeast and get their take on the changes and their future at that hospital. I doubt you would ever do that, you are just one one the many on this forum who speak without actually knowing any details. I am sure you will respond again with blind assumptions but such is the burden of this forum in the first place.
Guest 2

Saint Louis, MO

#527 Apr 4, 2012
Yes and wrote:
<quoted text>
And the Board agreed to it. You and I agree on a point. The hospital will survive. The changes may hurt and I am sorry for the staff. They've had to feel the squeeze of the belt tightening. Shame on the reckless who didn't plan better in the last several years to keep the hospital more sustainable. It hasn't been difficult to see the failure of health care in our country. SE is a family, but it is also a business. There must be fiscal responsibility regardless of who it affects. Hopefully a balance can be created that is a work smarter and safer model, protecting the public/patient. Simply, things cannot continue status quo. Sad but true. Blame it on whoever you want, that's the fact jack.
And the Board approved of it upon the reommendation of who? Maybe the COO, CFO, Saramo, And CEO? That is like the employee survey that was presented to the Board with only the information the then CEO wanted shared supposedly. Interesting her exit was not long after that.

I never said there didn't need to be changes. THe perception for the employees is that the administration does not care about them, that our loyalty and committment to this hospital means nothing and that long-term employees are paid too much and thus are a financial burden rather than a clinical asset.. Is all that true? I don't know but that is the perception. There have also been suggestions that the COO and CFO have people running scared. That is NOT, no matter what anyone says, a healthy work environment.
Webster

Saint Louis, MO

#528 Apr 4, 2012
Guest wrote:
I wonder where St. francis would be if they did not have the roman Catholic church backing them up.
An excellent musing. Where would they be? Regardless, it doesn't make their care any better, their administration any more caring, it doesn't make their business practices any easier to understand...it is health care. Southeast Hospital was on this road to destruction long before Linnes, King, Moore and "the rest of the gang" blew in, blew up and threw up all over Lacey Street. Wente, Strong, Berry, Fisher, Hendrickson, Martin and lets not forget the sacred "nursing directors and managers" were making a huge mess of things for years. They had their own little racket going on. Wente's kid still works there, Strong took his Harley to West Missouri, Berry still bumbles around and his kid who knows he was doing something there, Fisher was replaced then brought back like leftover meatloaf, Hendrickson was hastily retired and thank goodness her kid didn't stick around long when he sauntered around all arrogant, Martin well now that is a piece of work only a mobster or a bookie could relate to and last but not least the crying, fretting, backstabbing nurse directors and managers. They have all had their super powers de'magnet'tized for a while. Even with the catholic church backing up Southeast Hospital they could still make a royal mess of things....
Fellow Employee

Saint Louis, MO

#530 Apr 4, 2012
Were any of you impressed with the time and effort used to send us a letter that could have been posted in our departments? Maybe made into a SNAP? I'm not impressed. No offense Mr. Smith you arent' the problem. The board- that's a problem. They have been asleep at the helm this whole time and in the course of a few months they want their hospital competitive? To late. Way to late. Who cares Magent places us in the top 2% when we are in the 42%tile for costing to much. That's why we and our friends and families go to Saint Louis for primary care and most invasive procedures. And who is HR kidding with the answer about fair wages? Get HR on the presidential ballot because that answer has politician written all over it. Of course there is 'no hospital wide policy' on holiday shift coverage. They leave those choice to the nurse managers who obviously cant manage otherwise so many wouldn't have been replaced...or displaced. And speaking of displaced. How many APRNs will need to be helped finding positions once the dust settle with the management company issue? A word of advice...dont count to heavily on the HR department. They are more worried about the height of their kitten heels, bragging on being 'kind of a big deal at SE' and running all around town. It is a real shame the board isn't made to feel some of the heat the administration is made to feel every day. These folks were just brought in here to clean up the mess the board let happen over years and years of neglect. They need to remember they are small fish in a very large pond of hospital boards across this country. They need to remember the employees of hospital can choose not to shop in their stores, purchase services from their enterprises and in general just not support them...much like we no longer feel we are supported. Yes it is a business. Yes we understand it is not for profit - not NO profit. We get it. But does the board? Southeast Hospital employees dont need to go union to flex their muscle. We need to use our heads and make an impact where it will be most impressive to the board...their wallets.
CapeMother

Cape Girardeau, MO

#531 Apr 6, 2012
BRING BACK WENTE - It sure wouldn't have all happened with him there. What a waste - for it all to go down the tubes like it did. Such a SHAME!!!!!!
CapeMother

Cape Girardeau, MO

#532 Apr 6, 2012
WHO are the board of directors???? And for how many years???? I worked there back in the late 80's and I was not aware of that many switch of hands. So so sad for the employees of the hospital, you would think that the board of directors could somehow get control of the situation before they lose it all!!!
local

United States

#533 Apr 7, 2012
CapeMother wrote:
BRING BACK WENTE - It sure wouldn't have all happened with him there. What a waste - for it all to go down the tubes like it did. Such a SHAME!!!!!!
Wente was my Reagan.... I miss them both..:((
Barn Door

Ballwin, MO

#534 Apr 8, 2012
I jus t want to know where all the cute single nurses in the ER hang out after work so I can meet them. They are so nice and friendly I love them all

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cape Girardeau Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone ever had or let their wife be seduced by... 3 min 3somefun 127
black lives matter 4 min Guest 90
Hillary Clinton 2016 (Oct '14) 4 min Guest 190
AT&T running slower than molasses 2 hr bjc 6
Singles 2 hr George Bailey 14
dhl (p&g) 2 hr Guest 16
Brandy Trickey 3 hr Guest 4

Cape Girardeau Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cape Girardeau Mortgages