First Prev
of 2
Next Last
BBQ fan

Cape Girardeau, MO

#1 Feb 2, 2010
Doesn't anyone care about quality anymore? I had pulled pork and ribs from Port Cape today and they totaly sucked. The food was boring and had no flavor. Even the bun was old. Why does everyone just give up on quality. I go to 17th street in Marion and Murphysboro and the food is ass kickin. I know Cape can do better. The pilot house has given up as well. The Byrd Brothers need to get back in there and fix their food and kick some ass! It's only smoked meat, but you have to care! Dexter BBQ is comercial, and Branding Iron, you might as well open a can of canned bbq and warm it in the microwave. Doesn't anyone serve good BBQ in Cape county any more? I'll drive an hour, but damn, you'd think they'd wanna keep my money in town! Go try 17th street. Hands down better than everything we have here.
Guest

Dallas, TX

#2 Feb 2, 2010
17th street is a-mazing!! Mmm now I'm hungry!! But I agree, we need a good bbq spot!
BBQ fan

Cape Girardeau, MO

#3 Feb 2, 2010
Guest wrote:
17th street is a-mazing!! Mmm now I'm hungry!! But I agree, we need a good bbq spot!
yea, thanks they rock. all these places in town used to put out good bbq. they just gave up. Even Hickory Log in Dexter needs some lessons from Mike Mills of 17th street.
resident

Jackson, MO

#4 Feb 4, 2010
Cape is just not a BBQ town
disagree

O Fallon, MO

#5 Feb 4, 2010
u just have to know how to slow cook bbq and have patience. I think Port Cape has great BBQ. My BIL, which is a big chef in Nebraska, thought his food was amazing and he is picky about his BBQ!! Keep it up Port Cape!!
Usually Right

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Feb 4, 2010
Just finished watching Pittmasters on TLC and I find this discussion thread. AMEN. Cape actually sucks when it comes to BBQ. I have had ribs at Port Cape that I could not even chew off the bone like an old dog guarding his lunch. 17th Street is great for a reason! I started going there when you could not even get in the door and it was a 2 hour wait. Now, that Marion is open some of the pressure if off and the wait is not very long. Whatever wait there is, the food is really worth it. We used to drive over there every Wednesday and many Saturdays. I have never been disappointed. Once a guy at the Branding Iron said he would put his ribs up against 17th Streets any day. Everybody standing around to pay actually broke out in laughter in his face. Needless to say, they are out of Cape after trying to peddle what they called BBQ.
BBQ fan

Cape Girardeau, MO

#7 Feb 4, 2010
Usually Right wrote:
Just finished watching Pittmasters on TLC and I find this discussion thread. AMEN. Cape actually sucks when it comes to BBQ. I have had ribs at Port Cape that I could not even chew off the bone like an old dog guarding his lunch. 17th Street is great for a reason! I started going there when you could not even get in the door and it was a 2 hour wait. Now, that Marion is open some of the pressure if off and the wait is not very long. Whatever wait there is, the food is really worth it. We used to drive over there every Wednesday and many Saturdays. I have never been disappointed. Once a guy at the Branding Iron said he would put his ribs up against 17th Streets any day. Everybody standing around to pay actually broke out in laughter in his face. Needless to say, they are out of Cape after trying to peddle what they called BBQ.
Yep, I agree, but anytime you say anything about Port, people get pissy. Well, they've not had good ribs. Places like Port, don't put the care day in, day out. I'm sure on a given day, they can put out a good product, but he's turned it over to someone else, and the quality is terrible now. He should go to 17th street, or Rendezvous in Memphis. I just wish these guys would not quit trying. Remember, it's just an opinion.... sad to see pitmasters go off for the season, it was fun to watch.
citizen

Jackson, MO

#8 Feb 5, 2010
the cooks they have at port cape don't do as they are susposed to.just a bunch of burnouts that doc needs to fire,especially that josh guy as far as the quality that's why i don't go there anymore hopefully he sees this and does something about his staff. i here his son is running the kitchen now ,his name is james i think,they need to pick it up a step or two to compete around here
guest

United States

#9 Feb 5, 2010
Arthur Bryants in Kansas City has by far the best BBQ
disagree

O Fallon, MO

#10 Feb 5, 2010
well iguess he has new cooks back there. i havent been there in a yr or two so i guess i need to try the 17th st out then!! where is that cuz my husband loves some bbq now....
Guest

Dallas, TX

#11 Feb 5, 2010
The original one is in murphysboro Ill and the newer one is in Marion.... Both excellent
Usually Right

Saint Louis, MO

#12 Feb 5, 2010
Go to Murphysboro, turn right on 17th street at the DQ and go one block. Tell them you are from Cape and ready to try out their BBQ. You can order your ribs dry or with sauce or sauce on the side. They are the best and better than anything in Memphis or Kansas City, day in and day out. Everyone has a different concept of what they think BBQ is...but when you are no longer allowed to compete in Rib Catagory at BBQ fests because you are a 3 time world champion, that speaks volumes.
My Opinion

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Feb 7, 2010
I've been going to Port Cape for 20 years (Doc didn't own it at that time). It's about the atmosphere, not the food, as far as I can tell. Better sometimes than others.
Itsme

O Fallon, MO

#14 Feb 7, 2010
Jay's BBQ in Marble Hill beats any in Cape, and that's a fact!
BBQ fan

Cape Girardeau, MO

#15 Feb 7, 2010
My Opinion wrote:
I've been going to Port Cape for 20 years (Doc didn't own it at that time). It's about the atmosphere, not the food, as far as I can tell. Better sometimes than others.
I don't eat atmosphere. I eat BBQ, and I prefer good BBQ. A shame you have to go across the river to find it. As far as Marble Hill? they slop a scoop of pork that's been sittin in a warming tray for hours, and they keep it moist by drowning it with BBQ sauce. U guys keep screwing up, and someone will come to town and take all your business away. Bandana's, 17th street, any one..... HELPPPPPP!
Usually Right

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Feb 7, 2010
BBQ Fan is right, Jay's BBQ does not even count. If that is your idea of BBQ, Itsme, you have no idea what BBQ is all about. I suggest you watch a few BBQ shows on the food channel, or go to a BBQ contest and buy from the stand authorized to sell to you (usually the contestants cannot sell). "Atmosphere" at Port Cape. I would not care if they were serving out of a barn door if they knew how to make good BBQ.
Usually Right

Saint Louis, MO

#17 Feb 7, 2010
Another note...I wonder if those Jambo BBQ Pits are hurting sales at Ol Hickory Pits? Jambo's sure are the rage on the BBQ circuit.
BBQ fan

Cape Girardeau, MO

#18 Feb 7, 2010
Usually Right wrote:
BBQ Fan is right, Jay's BBQ does not even count. If that is your idea of BBQ, Itsme, you have no idea what BBQ is all about. I suggest you watch a few BBQ shows on the food channel, or go to a BBQ contest and buy from the stand authorized to sell to you (usually the contestants cannot sell). "Atmosphere" at Port Cape. I would not care if they were serving out of a barn door if they knew how to make good BBQ.
Finally, someone get's it. I'll be the biggest customer and the biggest spokespserson out there, but it has to be good quality. I've yet to see it in Cape county. It's a shame, cause most all of them could do it if they tried.
Agree 100 percent

Cape Girardeau, MO

#19 Feb 7, 2010
You have to treat each customer like they are a BBQ judge. Just don't throw out some crap thru the week when you think someone's not paying attention. hell, wouldn't you like to be busy 7 days a week instead of maybe 1 or 2 nights a week? then sell good BBQ.
BBQ fan

Cape Girardeau, MO

#20 Feb 20, 2010
Welllllll...... I'm gonna step back and say..... I ate at Port Cape again tonight, after saying I never would go back. I had a Rib, Brisket, chicken dinner, with a side of pulled pork, and it was all GOOD. Folks with me had the beef tenderloin medalians, and said they were real good. All in all, the meat was VERY GOOD.(Beer was hot, but that's a different post). I was the one that started this post and was very unhappy with the Port in the day. I must say they do a much better job at night. I'll go back again, I'll just probably do it at night. I still feel you need to sell your best product all the time. Thanks Doc for a good meal!!!$74.88 for 3 people. By god it better be good!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cape Girardeau Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
House fire on Forester 47 min Guest 10
St. Francis interview process 1 hr Guest 3
Daycare 1 hr guest 7
Why do black people not work? (Feb '14) 2 hr Eric Dyson 90
farm fresh eggs 4 hr Fresh 6
Favorite KFVS Reporter (Jun '12) 9 hr George Bailey 147
Carpet 10 hr LDP 3

Cape Girardeau Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cape Girardeau Mortgages