SWFL residents finding ways to cope w...

SWFL residents finding ways to cope with red tide effects

There are 20 comments on the WZVN-TV Fort Myers story from Aug 7, 2018, titled SWFL residents finding ways to cope with red tide effects. In it, WZVN-TV Fort Myers reports that:

While some people are questioning the long-term health effects of red tide, others in Southwest Florida are taking a little lighter approach to the mess. A Southwest Florida woman wrote a red tide rendition of the classic 'let it snow,' after she got sick from the nearby bloom.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZVN-TV Fort Myers.

mike

United States

#1 Aug 30, 2018
That horrible red tide and algae has already driven a lot of great waitresses inland and into different fields of work. If my favorite ones at the Cottage bar leave, I won't ever visit the beach again, and then the media could just keep broadcasting on the red tide until all the bars and restaurants on the beach are boarded up and closed indefinitely.
Prophecy

United States

#3 Sep 2, 2018
Again, Mike, it will get indefinitely worse than that! Your favorite waitress no longer working at this Plaka bar or restaurant (whatever the heck it is) is but a pin prick compared to what is to come. I saw your other posts, and if you plan to stay away from this Plaka place for ten years, you may as well just leave Southwest Florida for good, for in just a fifth of that time, the entire United States of America will be a crumbling, boarded up ruin! Entire municipal areas will be totally vacant, boarded up, walled off, either awaiting demolition and conversion to luxury, upper class gated communities or left to fall into ruin, and patrolled by armed military personnell authorized to use deadly force on any and all trespassers, especially homeless people. New predictions indicate that by 2023, America's total population will be down to around 8 million people, possibly even less, mainly movie stars, rich & famous people, and government/military/law enforcement personnell.

Not only WILL Trump win in 2020, but in fact, there will be NO election in 2020. Donald Trump will be an official, total dictator of America, and voting will be gone the way of the wild goose.
Kimp

United States

#4 Sep 3, 2018
Jeez...more doom and gloom. This,too, shall pass and people will be coming to visit this beautiful, bountiful state again. There will ALWAYS be people filling the waitress and bartending spots. Don't despair.
Prophecy

United States

#5 Sep 4, 2018
Kimp wrote:
Jeez...more doom and gloom. This,too, shall pass and people will be coming to visit this beautiful, bountiful state again. There will ALWAYS be people filling the waitress and bartending spots. Don't despair.
This will never pass, man! Donald Trump is ripping America to shreds. He is taxing the life out of all but the top 5 percent richest people. He is shutting down entire corporations. And with the mad exodus out of America worsening every month, it is only a matter of time until Florida, like much of the rest of the United States, is a boarded up, vacant ruin.
Former Plaka customer

Houston, TX

#6 Sep 4, 2018
Kimp wrote:
How dare you try to make everything look great! Eden is no longer working at Plaka or anywhere on the beach at all anymore, no thanks to the red tide caused by all that toxic blue green algae dumped down the Caloosahatchee River by those evil clowns that are hell bent on causing misery, all of which drove everyone away from the beach and ruined her livelihood there. She was the absolute best waitress in the whole wide world. Always enjoyed having conversation with her, sharing stories of our great adventures, and what not, watching her light my saganakis, she was a doll. Nothing, I repeat, nothing will ever be the same ever again. And because she is gone, it is going to be at least ten years, maybe even longer, before I eat there again, and who cares if it is an entire new crew. New cook, new managers, new waitresses, new everything, and everyone would say; "We don't know an Eden that ever worked here." And then I'll wait 25 years and see that place change ownership twice, and who cares if by then an order of Saganaki costs 30. And then I'll stay away for good.
Former Plaka customer

Houston, TX

#7 Sep 4, 2018
I can not even believe they callously dumped Lake Okeechobee down the Caloosahatchee! Had they dumped it down only the St. Lucie River, and only the St. Lucie River, the Gulf Stream would have carried the algae harmlessly away from the Florida coast with little effect on business and tourism. They knew there are no ocean currents on the Gulf side to carry the blooms away. They were either high on crack, or they just wanted to chase everyone away from the beaches of Southwest Florida and destroy business and tourism here. Well, they won, because I won't be going to Plaka on the Beach anymore. Not even after this red tide caused by that algae has totally cleared out.
Prophecy

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Sep 5, 2018
Former Plaka customer wrote:
<quoted text> And because she is gone, it is going to be at least ten years, maybe even longer, before I eat there again, and who cares if it is an entire new crew. New cook, new managers, new waitresses, new everything, and everyone would say; "We don't know an Eden that ever worked here." And then I'll wait 25 years and see that place change ownership twice, and who cares if by then an order of Saganaki costs 30. And then I'll stay away for good.
It'll be far worse than that, man! That entire beachfront will be vacant, boarded up, crumbling, and overgrown even 3 years from now; the United States Military will likely even demolish both bridges connecting the island to the mainland. And the military will patrol the entire ocean within less than half a mile of the barrier islands. They will make sure no civilian ever sets foot on those barrier islands ever again, and they will likely use deadly force on any and all trespassers.

Donald Trump is destroying America. And Trump is destroying the entire country over a thousand times worse than that red tide/green algae is destroying Southwest Florida. Long before you would feel ready to go back to this Plaka bar or eatery whatever it is, every single person that used to live and/or work in Fort Myers Beach, as well as all of the other barrier islands, will be living up in Canada. No glaciers = no livelihood.
Cra cra

New Castle, PA

#10 Sep 8, 2018
Whomever is the poster of these post is absolutely crazy... and I know should the red tide keep you from Fort Myers beach bar, we ALL SHOULD BE SO LUCKY. If I were your waitress I would be terrified.
Infuriated

United States

#11 Sep 8, 2018
Cra cra wrote:
Whomever is the poster of these post is absolutely crazy... and I know should the red tide keep you from Fort Myers beach bar, we ALL SHOULD BE SO LUCKY. If I were your waitress I would be terrified.
Like, just declare a NATIONAL EMERGENCY every single time a customer grows attached to a waitress! Nationwide military lockdown, Martial law, scramble all fighters and military ground forces, use of immediate maximum lethal force authorized and recommended. Every time any person is seen having a conversation with a waitress that isn't strictly business-related or hugging a waitress. And even have armed military personnell patrolling every single plaza in America looking for restaurant patrons having non-business conversations with waitresses and everything. Because that is exactly what you sound like you want in America just by reading your post. Or like you think only Adolf Hitler himself would mourn the loss of a waitress, and anyone who mourns the loss of a waitress belongs, by default, in the electric chair, no questions asked.
Cra cra

New Castle, PA

#12 Sep 8, 2018
Wow... you need therapy.
Former Plaka customer

United States

#13 Sep 10, 2018
I suffer from depression, and for me it is very much impossible for me to have to break the ice again with a new waitress at a restaurant I have been going to for years and am used to the same waitress serving me.
Prince John

Louisville, CO

#14 Sep 11, 2018
I suffer from depression, and for me it is very much impossible for me to have to break the ice again with a new waitress at a restaurant I have been going to for years and am used to the same waitress serving me.
Now you realize the pain of living in present-day America.

In most other countries, a waitress will easily take a favorite customer to an amusement park. But in America, nothing flies at all. Americans are hateful, paranoid, and want to be left alone. In America, you are expected to be a stranger, and stay a stranger, to all society. Nobody in this toxic hate country cares about anyone but themselves. And if you don't have friends, sorry, but the only way you're going to make any lasting friendships is if you leave the United States of America.
Prince John

United States

#15 Tuesday Sep 25
Also, Former Plaka Customer, you got extremely lucky with having her as your waitress. And I don't blame you for wanting to abandon this Plaka bar or grill, whatever it is. Americans in general are not friendly or sociable people. They expect all conversations to be strictly business-related. Americans are nothing but trouble and mass drama just waiting to happen. It is a waitress's job to be friendly to everyone she serves. And that pseudo-friendliness is fleeting. It is a facade. In America, even love itself is but a facade. Friendships in the United States are a facade. You especially don't have a big, loud, fancy, souped up luxury sports car, you have no fake personality, you are authentic and down to Earth, you don't live in a luxury McMansion in a gated community, and not only will you never find love in America, but You Will Have NO Friends at all in America! And when Americans in the bar/restaurant industry get a different job in a new industry, they cut down their pseudo-friendly personalities and revert right back to their fake, closed, toxic personalities like it's a capital felony under Federal law in the United States for a former waitress or bartender to take a former customer out for lunch.
Sharky

Schenectady, NY

#16 Thursday Sep 27
Prince John wrote:
Also, Former Plaka Customer, you got extremely lucky with having her as your waitress. And I don't blame you for wanting to abandon this Plaka bar or grill, whatever it is. Americans in general are not friendly or sociable people. They expect all conversations to be strictly business-related. Americans are nothing but trouble and mass drama just waiting to happen. It is a waitress's job to be friendly to everyone she serves. And that pseudo-friendliness is fleeting. It is a facade. In America, even love itself is but a facade. Friendships in the United States are a facade. You especially don't have a big, loud, fancy, souped up luxury sports car, you have no fake personality, you are authentic and down to Earth, you don't live in a luxury McMansion in a gated community, and not only will you never find love in America, but You Will Have NO Friends at all in America! And when Americans in the bar/restaurant industry get a different job in a new industry, they cut down their pseudo-friendly personalities and revert right back to their fake, closed, toxic personalities like it's a capital felony under Federal law in the United States for a former waitress or bartender to take a former customer out for lunch.
women are like the guitar, pluck the right strings they'll sing any song you want
Prince John

Fort Myers, FL

#17 Thursday Sep 27
Sharky wrote:
<quoted text>

women are like the guitar, pluck the right strings they'll sing any song you want
American women are like a paper guitar with paper strings. Pluck any strings and they will rip and break.
Anti Kavanaugh

United States

#18 Sunday Sep 30
Prophecy wrote:
<quoted text>

It'll be far worse than that, man! That entire beachfront will be vacant, boarded up, crumbling, and overgrown even 3 years from now; the United States Military will likely even demolish both bridges connecting the island to the mainland. And the military will patrol the entire ocean within less than half a mile of the barrier islands. They will make sure no civilian ever sets foot on those barrier islands ever again, and they will likely use deadly force on any and all trespassers.

Donald Trump is destroying America. And Trump is destroying the entire country over a thousand times worse than that red tide/green algae is destroying Southwest Florida. Long before you would feel ready to go back to this Plaka bar or eatery whatever it is, every single person that used to live and/or work in Fort Myers Beach, as well as all of the other barrier islands, will be living up in Canada. No glaciers = no livelihood.
It's about to get worse still.

If Brett Kavanaugh is confirmed to the Supreme Court;

-He will completely dismantle all healthcare nationwide.

-He will destroy the entire environment and protect polluters. And that means he will easily order Lake Okeechobee completely drained down the Caloosahatchee River. Kavanaugh will cause Black Tides over a thousand times worse than the 2018 Red Tide and will turn the entire State of Florida into a total ghost state.

-He will dismantle voting rights and hard-fought civil rights.

-He will defend Donald Trump in a criminal investigation. That means Trump could even do something as heinous as leveling New York, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles, Denver, Tampa, and who knows what other cities with nuclear bombs and then point his crooked finger again at the Middle East, possibly even Europe, and say; "They did it!" and start another huge war.

-He will criminalize all protesting. He will order all protests carpet bombed, aka any protest that occurs would be immediately met with a shower of air-to-surface missiles and would go up in a series of mushroom fireballs. And he would care less if every building within less than even one mile of the protest were heavily damaged or even leveled by the explosions.

-He will eliminate all freedom of speech. Any person who says him and Trump have done a terrible job would be arrested and publicly executed. He may even adopt North Korea's Juche ideaology and order 3 generations of a suspect's extended family also executed. Yes, that is correct; Kavanaugh being confirmed by the Supreme Court is the exact equivilant of turning the United States of America over to Kim Jong-Un.
Trumpstinks

United States

#19 Thursday Oct 4
<quoted text>

Eden is no longer working at Plaka or anywhere on the beach at all anymore, no thanks to the red tide caused by all that toxic blue green algae dumped down the Caloosahatchee River by those evil clowns that are hell bent on causing misery, all of which drove everyone away from the beach and ruined her livelihood there.
You can blame cruel and evil Donald Trump for driving Eden's customers away, man!

Again, there is a huge, mad exodus of people out of America because Donald Trump is president, and her customer base has been drying up since Trump won the 2016 election. And it is happening nationwide. Everyone's moving to Canada, man! To them, no glaciers = no livelihood. Snowbirds even are rushing like mad into Canada, and they are completely avoiding the United States like the plague. Whatever snowbirds and tourists that still head to warm weather areas during winter, they are skipping America and going to Mexico, Belize, Costa Rica, Colombia, and Panama as they know those places are far cheaper than America.

I've been visiting that Times Square plaza a lot, too and have even eaten once or twice at Plaka. And Eden had mentioned to me back in January that her customer base has been shrinking rapidly over the past two years and that the snowbirds don't go there anymore. Nobody is going to the beach or that plaza anymore. The red tide is only a pin prick of the problem. This is a nationwide crisis. Restaurants all over the entire United States are rapidly losing their customer bases as people flock like mad into Canada. Donald Trump is fast bankrupting the United States and passing new laws certain to make America look like North Korea West, and everyone knows America is doomed this time. And now with Brett Kavanaugh about to be sworn into the Supreme Court, everyone knows America will be a totalitarian dictatorship, exactly like North Korea, within just a few years.
dumptrump

Logan, OH

#20 Thursday Oct 4
Over 3 million more Americans voted to oppose Trump and the current path of America. Over 1.4 million more Democrats got votes than republicans in Congress yet republicans won by a wide margin. Never before in human history has there been a civilization with income inequality even close to America’s that did not end with the collapse of that civilization. The combination of income inequality and a corrupt sham of democracy is bound to end in turmoil.
Prince John

United States

#21 Saturday Oct 6
dumptrump wrote:
Over 3 million more Americans voted to oppose Trump and the current path of America. Over 1.4 million more Democrats got votes than republicans in Congress yet republicans won by a wide margin. Never before in human history has there been a civilization with income inequality even close to America's that did not end with the collapse of that civilization. The combination of income inequality and a corrupt sham of democracy is bound to end in turmoil.
Americans are evil to the core. That is why they voted for Doanld Trump in the first place and many are supporting Trump more than ever before and are bent on voting for Trump in the 2018 and 2020 elections. Americans care about nobody but themselves. Their philosophy is clear; survival of only the fittest. There is even a strong possibility that many Trump supporters may likely even start shooting and murdering disabled/handicapped/special needs people and people of color to show their hatred and disdain towards people voting Democratic in the 2018 and 2020 elections. And who knows if they could do huge massacres right around the elections to create a national emergency capable of disrupting all voting.
Anti Trump

United States

#22 Sunday Oct 7
Kavanaugh won. America is going straight down. The exodus out of America is exploding like Tsar Bomba. The beachfront will be easily vacant and abandoned by May of next year.

Former Plaka Customer, you better start looking in either Greece or start looking up Greek restaurants in another country right now if you want your Greek food. Because Kavanaugh is the new Supreme Court judge, all of Fort Myers Beach will be a ghost town before this time next year. Boarded up, abandoned, overgrown, fenced off, cut off from the mainland, patrolled by armed military personnell. Judge Kavanaugh has already extinguished the Blue Wave and has fully rigged all future elections for Republican only. America will be a totalitarian dictatorship, North Korea style, by June 2020.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cape Coral Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cape Coral = A city of gold diggers and closed ... 12 hr Single and unhappy 1
Hugging is totally out of hand at Dek Bar, O-Bar 14 hr Johnny 14
News Cape Coral man reported as missing/endangered 18 hr Prince John 1
Abused Dog! Fri Petlover 2
Why is everyone leaving CasaShanti? Oct 17 Iknewher 8
Guys, any woman who blocks you on Facebook is a... (Oct '16) Oct 16 The cops 9
News FWC reports no red tide in Southwest Florida Fr... Oct 15 Ex customer 1

Cape Coral Jobs

Personal Finance

Cape Coral Mortgages