Gulf Coast Humane Society Charged wit...

Gulf Coast Humane Society Charged with Animal Cruelty

There are 27 comments on the FOX 4 Florida story from Jan 30, 2009, titled Gulf Coast Humane Society Charged with Animal Cruelty. In it, FOX 4 Florida reports that:

Lee Animal Services says it received an anonymous complaint about a dog with severe mange at the Humane Society.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at FOX 4 Florida.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
NoNoNoreen

Fort Myers, FL

#1 Jan 31, 2009
From the article:
Lee County Animal Services has charged Don Cohen, the executive director of the Gulf Coast Humane Society, with animal cruelty after receiving an anonymous complaint and picture of a sick dog. Animal services removed the dog from the shelter on Thursday. She has open wounds and severe mange, which is mites that infest the skin. "The limbs were very swollen. The dog was in very much pain and discomfort," says Adam Leath, a cruelty investigator with Lee Animal Services.

Pretty sick. "Humane" my butt.
On the outside looking in

Arkadelphia, AR

#2 Feb 1, 2009
Yep, its sick alright that the humane society is allowing Mark the ex-president to haunt the shelter and do so much wrong there too. He is the reason that the dog that got hit and killed. He didn't listen when he was told not to put the dog where he put it and the dog got away and out on the road and killed! He is also the reason, from what I heard, that the mange dog, Pinky, got attacked by two known aggressive dogs! That is why the anonymous reports were sent to LCAS.
This shelter has many things wrong with it and it mostly stems from its board of directors. They are the ones that wanted it to be a "no kill" facility, but they took and kept aggressive dogs! Go for a walk down the adoption kennels! The dogs hit the fence attacking you or slink to the back of the kennel barking and snarling! They warehouse dogs till their kennel crazed and expect to keep getting donations from all the great people donating to this crappy shelter! Some of the staff is true blue animal lovers and need to be commended for staying, but the "others" need to be culled from the herd and the board of directors need to re-evaluate their thought processes on being a "no-kill" shelter. The would need to mirror Humane Society Naples to be a true "no-Kill".
Donations should cease as a way for the public to get the humane society back on track. It sounds harsh, but it needs to happen. Don Cohen needs to be replaced by an honest person and the board of directors need to wake up and smell the dog sh*t!
The prices of their "LOW-COST" clinic!!!!!WOW!!!! They are just as high as a full service vet!
the humane society in LaBelle is the cheapest place in SWFL to spay and neuter! Boy, it's really a shame the old owner of the Affordable Spay Neuter Clinic isn't back in business. SHE knew what was needed and she would be a great person to run the humane society, but at least to get the spay neuter clinic back up and running!
NoNoNoreen

Fort Myers, FL

#3 Feb 1, 2009
You are right about the clinic.(Actually, you are right about everything!) Don Cohen never intended it to be "low cost," even that is what he called it to gain support for it. It is just another revenue stream for them to dip their filthy hands into. It competes unfairly with legitimate, sanitary, veterinarians with its tax sheltered status. This is so wrong!

$290 for a spay is not low cost! I think very soon were are going to see some investigation into their veterinary procedures and practices. About time!

Animal Lover

AOL

#5 Feb 3, 2009
To:"Outside looking in"
You should voice your concerns to the group that is trying to effect change at the Gulf Coast Humane Society, their email address is [email protected]
If enough concerned animal lovers would come forward perhaps effective change could occur. The aminals deserve better care that they are obviously receiving.
It is amazing the the board is standing behind the director, Don Cohen as it is obvious that his performance is lacking. In one blog, it was stated that he received a $7500 bonus.
NoNoNoreen

North Fort Myers, FL

#6 Feb 5, 2009
This is not a "real" humane society. They have no connection with HSUS and no one can tell them what to do--call and ask! There is no regulation of their barbaric level of animal care. Please help stop their abuse. The place looks run by a bunch of collectors.

“STOP animal abuse”

Since: Dec 07

United States

#7 Feb 5, 2009
I have been to several events in Atlanta where these private people claiming to run no-kill shelters attended. To be honest some of them worried me. While some if not MOST have their hearts in the right place, some become overwhelmed and BROKE. A Fulton co. director was found recently dumping LIVE pets into the woods to keep from euthanizing them. I can't think of anything more horrible than going fro a warm home to the damn woods. Anyway, we HAVE to push spay/neuter programs! We have to push laws that enforce the Spay/neuter programs! Millions die horribly everyday due to our negligence!
Theodore

United States

#8 Feb 5, 2009
Over population is why they are neglected and abused.
Cruel_Director

North Fort Myers, FL

#9 Feb 5, 2009
But this place won't help. Spaying a large dog costs $290 here. This was supposed to be a low-cost clinic, but it's just another business venture to make money on the animals' misery.

“STOP animal abuse”

Since: Dec 07

Mcdonough, GA

#10 Feb 5, 2009
We need socialized animal care!

Arkadelphia, AR

#11 Feb 7, 2009
NoNoNoreen wrote:
This is not a "real" humane society. They have no connection with HSUS and no one can tell them what to do--call and ask! There is no regulation of their barbaric level of animal care. Please help stop their abuse. The place looks run by a bunch of collectors.
None of the humane societies are connected to HSUS. The members should be active members, not just send 20 bucks in once a year then gripe cause the place is a shambles!
Puppyluvr

Portsmouth, VA

#12 Feb 10, 2009
Yes the Naples Humane Society director makes an inordinate amount of money-- it is quite insane considering the size of the facility and numbers of animals each year. Most EDs of similar sized facilities make in the range of 50K to 75K/year. The inside word is that his knowledge in animal welfare is extremely limited and he spends much of the day sitting in the lobby on his butt. In addition, I know for a fact that Jeannie Bates was originally intended to volunteer with the Naples Humane Society specifically for the purposes of working with shelter animals. An added benefit was to be the ability to utilize facilities for training classes to be greatly discounted for adopters. Finally, Donald Cohen should be fired and replaced with 1) someone with experience in the animal welfare field 2) someone who has shown a commitment to such field and 3) someone with a national reputation in the field. I know of at least 1 person who applied for this position when he was hired that had all of the above attributes, was a local resident, and has since gone on to become a leader in the "no kill" movement. This person did not even merit an interview. It seems in SWFL that hiring decisions are not based on the best interest of the organization or the animals but on the "good old boys" network.
Unbelievable2009

Marco Island, FL

#13 Feb 17, 2009
I have questions for both sides:

Just Audit this place, Mark, those financials need to be audited, if they arent, and we all know they arent, they need to be. Especially since your wife was Treasurer while you were President, isnt that a violation? 2 Board Members as Treasurer and President as family members of a non-profit? Yea, we know, you eventually made her Asst Treas. but this is a big no-no. Audit Folks!

Now I feel bad for your other dog, Bear, adopted from Humane Society and killed outside your house by a car because he never was on leash. Folks, this is different one than outside the Humane Society.

But now folks, Pinky might be a shameful situation, if this group is so bad, where is the other proof? Is that all you have? No other pictures? Why is it these Board Members only come out after they are removed? Why didnt they insist on Audits before? Weren't they on in last year?

How is creating all this bad publicity good for the animals? You had options.
amazing_grace

Naples, FL

#14 Feb 27, 2009
Puppyluvr wrote:
Yes the Naples Humane Society director makes an inordinate amount of money-- it is quite insane considering the size of the facility and numbers of animals each year. Most EDs of similar sized facilities make in the range of 50K to 75K/year. The inside word is that his knowledge in animal welfare is extremely limited and he spends much of the day sitting in the lobby on his butt. In addition, I know for a fact that Jeannie Bates was originally intended to volunteer with the Naples Humane Society specifically for the purposes of working with shelter animals. An added benefit was to be the ability to utilize facilities for training classes to be greatly discounted for adopters.
You should get your facts straight before you spew this kind of garbage.

The ED of the HSN is a capable, caring and dedicated individual. He is paid what he is worth.

Futhermore, the training programs that Jeannie Bates runs for this shelter turn 100% of the proceeds back to the shelter. Additionally, those same programs fund working therapy dog teams that serve the residents of Collier County with senior and youth services. The Humane Society of Naples also supports a service dog training program that serves children with developmental challenges. All done and donated at NO COST to the families they serve. All of this is done with the money produced by the training programs.

People like you make me sick. You take something perfectly good and legitimate and try to turn it into something sinister. Tell us - what have you done lately for your community other than try to take the good that other people do and slam it?

Arkadelphia, AR

#15 Feb 28, 2009
amazing_grace wrote:
<quoted text>
You should get your facts straight before you spew this kind of garbage.
The ED of the HSN is a capable, caring and dedicated individual. He is paid what he is worth.
Futhermore, the training programs that Jeannie Bates runs for this shelter turn 100% of the proceeds back to the shelter. Additionally, those same programs fund working therapy dog teams that serve the residents of Collier County with senior and youth services. The Humane Society of Naples also supports a service dog training program that serves children with developmental challenges. All done and donated at NO COST to the families they serve. All of this is done with the money produced by the training programs.
People like you make me sick. You take something perfectly good and legitimate and try to turn it into something sinister. Tell us - what have you done lately for your community other than try to take the good that other people do and slam it?
THANK YOU! I knew that hsn was a great place and that the ed was fantastic, AND I didn't even know about all of these wonderful things that they do! All I knew was my dealings with this great organization which are always excellent experiences!
On another note, I heard that the charges were dropped on Don Cohen!?!?! What happened, anyone know????

Arkadelphia, AR

#16 Feb 28, 2009
On yet another note:
Have any of you walked the adoption kennel? If you have, what do you think about all the aggressive dogs they are "saving"? They attack you at the gate of their kennels, run to the back of their kennel barking and snarling or try to hide and pee themselves! This is a warehouse for unstable dogs!
They do not have adoptable dogs that will come to you in a friendly manner and try to lick your hand through the gate.
Their "no-kill" status AND criteria MUST BE RE-EVALUATED!
They are putting the public in danger by holding these poor unstable dogs.
a volunteer at the GCHS

Chattanooga, TN

#17 Jun 2, 2009
This is absolutely ridiculous.
I volunteer at the shelter, and know Don and Mark. Both are wonderful people who care very much about every animal that comes to the shelter, and all animals in general.
I think the GCHS does a wonderful job taking care of animals and finding homes for them.
The dogs are not at all mean. Some bark with excitement as you walk down the kennel. A few are aggressive in their kennels, but loving outside. The kennel is loud sometimes, and they get scared.
With volunteers, each dog gets walked almost everyday. They're not at all mistreated. If an animal has to go to a shelter, I hope the end up at the GCHS. I think they do an excellent job.
outsider

Grandville, MI

#18 Jun 26, 2009
I know that GCHS is now looking for a kennel manager. I am looking into the job as a possibility because there are a lot of things that I believe I can help improve within the shelter. Does anyone know why the last manager left? Or if they were fired and if so why?
Briana Wagner

Fort Myers, FL

#19 Mar 9, 2011
Oh please. you guys are completely ridiculous. yes, the place needs work done but what do you expect from that area in fort myers. hundred or so dogs there need taking care of. i currently volunteer there and yes the place needs work but it isnt too bad. the dogs are walked atleast 3 times a day. bathed atleast once, if not more, in a week. you walk down the isles and yes, most of the dogs bark and seem aggressive. i thought the same thing when i first went there. but now that i am volunteering there. i know for a fact all of the dogs are very friendly and deserve a chance to be in a home. when you arrive to the back of their kennel with a leash in your hand, boy do they go crazy. they love the attension. most just come off as "mean" but they are just being territorial. you have to also remember that some have been abandoned and abused. too many puppies and no one that wants the older dogs. very sad. i almost cry everytime i go in there. give the place a break. you dont believe me? instead of talking smack on the computer why dont you go volunteer there and see for yourself. we could use some help!:)
ashley

Chattanooga, TN

#20 May 26, 2012
So i recently went to this humane society to get my dog spayed. at the time the staff was amazing and so helpful. the very next day my puppy was acting weird; not wanting to eat , very sleepy not her normal bubbly self. so i thought it was just her still not feeling too hot after the anesthesia. a few hours later i notice this red ball hanging from her incision. it was part of her stomach. now the only time that i took off her cone was to take her body collar off, and it went right back on. she never once went and messed with it . we watched her closely. i called the humane society at 3:00 , and told them everything that was going on. they kept transferring me , so i hung up and called right back and demanded to talk to someone. they asked me to be there in 30 minutes and when i told them that there was no way because of where i lived , they were nice enough to stay there until i got there which was not long after 4. when i got there with my puppy i set her on the table and blood came out everywhere. the tech took her back and said that she would have to stay over night so they could stitch her back up. i asked the lady at the desk how much all of this was going to cost me and she said that she wasnt exactly sure but that i would not have to pay for her to stay over night. i asked if they could please call me and let me know that she was ok after surgery and they promised that they would. needless to say i was never called. i called first thing that morning and they still had no word on her. it took me yelling at them to call me about her. i was called back to say that she would be sent home with antibiotics. no problem i told them. so how much is that going to be ?$120 which is for her antibiotics, hospital stay as well as them stitching her back up. why in the hell should i have to pay for something that they should have done right in the first place. its not right. i asked to speak to a manager and they claimed that there is no one on duty today. that i could talk to her on tuesday. they had no answers for me what so ever. when i asked for the dr notes she said i would have to wait til tuesday. so i told her to go get her chart and copy it right now in front of me.
this place is horrible. if i would of known all of these problems with this place i never would of used them in the first place. now my dog is in more pain because of them not doing there damn job right!
CVT12years

Cape Coral, FL

#21 May 27, 2012
Ashley: There are more ways to open an incision than just by letting the dog lick. Suture material doesn't just fall out after one day for no reason. Your dog MUST have either jumped up, or ran around too much and popped a suture. It happens all the time when owners don't keep their dogs contained after surgery. All of them want to blame the vet for their own negligence.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cape Coral Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Reports of club customer rejected at Sandy Parr... (Jul '15) Sat Wonder why 17
Babe's is still hiring! (Jul '15) Sat Wonder why 15
Single guy looking for love (Mar '15) Sat Wonder why 11
Anyone remember Nick Witten? (May '13) Sat Wonder why 6
News Tell Mel: Don't cross Honest Ziggy's in North F... (Feb '10) Sat Wonder why 80
comcast/xfinity Jul 22 LEO $$ 2
According to the bullhorn preachers, even mingl... Jul 22 Wonder why 4

Cape Coral Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cape Coral Mortgages