Looking back and forward 25 years aft...

Looking back and forward 25 years after Challenger tragedy | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 29 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jan 28, 2011, titled Looking back and forward 25 years after Challenger tragedy | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Space shuttle Discovery lifts off on Dec. 9, 2006, for a rendezvous with the International Space Station.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lfod

Defiance, OH

#1 Jan 28, 2011
And very little ,if any mention of the anniversery yesterday of the Apollo 1 fire.

Since: Jun 10

Dayton, OH

#2 Jan 28, 2011
The Reagan Administration has blood on their hands over this (and a million other atrocities). They pushed for the launch, overrode the objections of nearly every scientist on the planet, to launch in freezing temperatures, all so Senile Ron could brag about this accomplishment and tout "the first teacher in space" in his State Of The Union address. Never mind that the Regan Administration (that's not a typo, if you know your history) was cutting funds for education and diverting them to defense and tax cuts for their millionaire cronies. The body count of Republican incompetence, negligence, and downright criminality should always include these seven Americans.
Centaur

Columbus, OH

#3 Jan 28, 2011
The part that amazes me is that everyone knew where they were, when this tragedy occurred.
I was at COSI with my daughter, watching the launch in the midst of the director who was once an astronaut herself.
Michael Ross

Panama, Panama

#4 Jan 28, 2011
I can remember being off work the day the Challenger exploded 25 years ago today. My eight year old son was off from school that day due to illness and he was watching the liftoff. All of a sudden I heard him say "Wow" from the other room where the television was. I rushed in and wartched the replay of the explosion several times and I remember watching the coverage until about 1PM. Finally, I went about my business for the day. That event is one of the most memorable for me and I am 61 years old. The one which is larger for me is the John Kennedy assasination. I was in the 9th grade and in school that day. I remember it like it was yesterday!

Michael Ross
Iorbitsun

Walnut Grove, CA

#5 Jan 28, 2011
Lfod wrote:
And very little ,if any mention of the anniversery yesterday of the Apollo 1 fire.
How unfortunate in that simply changing the door/hatch leading to the control/pilot module, from a swing-in operation to a swing-out.. was all that was needed to prevent this particular tragedy(three Astronauts killed) from ever happening again.:(

Verbion
Kman

Marion, OH

#6 Jan 28, 2011
The Achievements and "right stuff" of the past have been hijacked by greedy suppliers to NASA. Mllions upon millions of dollars are lining the pockets of "cost plus" contractors. It is a shame.
dorothea

Columbus, OH

#7 Jan 28, 2011
It's been 25 yrs, move on already. Don't dwell on tragedy.
Dave

Louisville, KY

#8 Jan 28, 2011
Sorry, Mr. President. "This is our generation’s Sputnik moment." - not yet. Maybe when China opens the first lunar hotel.

While those who were adults at the time of our last great national space challenge are gone, retired or nearing retirement, most of the American workforce today cannot remember the era when men walked on the moon.

The Soviet Union reached several important milestones first. Then President Kennedy issued a challenge that this nation rose to accomplish. The Apollo missions put mankind on the moon and brought them safely home with technology largely designed and built in the USA. These missions used the most complex vehicles ever designed, at a time when science was hard put to keep up. Next year will mark the 40th anniversary of the last time a human stood on the moon.

The US Space Shuttle, or Space Transportation System (STS) fleet has served us well, except when foreseeable problems were ignored or glossed over. The first Shuttle tragedy was 25 years ago. More importantly, the STS design was done mostly in the 1970's, with the first test flights 30 years ago. It is way past time for this great nation to have reliable, modern, domestically designed and built spacecraft. Imagine how much more efficient, faster, safer and economical space flight could be using the most modern materials. And the many domestic jobs that would be created or saved to complete this challenge.

Why say " it makes sense to delay manned spaceflights until a sensible and fiscally sound alternative to the shuttle is found?" It makes sense to actively go to work designing and building the next transport system. We can't wait for some other nation to develop and build superior space technology, then hope they will rent it or sell it to us. The private sector can and should develop space technology. Commercial space transport must not be in lieu of developing strategic technologies in this field.
shirtsleeve environment

Blacklick, OH

#9 Jan 28, 2011
Iorbitsun wrote:
<quoted text>
How unfortunate in that simply changing the door/hatch leading to the control/pilot module, from a swing-in operation to a swing-out.. was all that was needed to prevent this particular tragedy(three Astronauts killed) from ever happening again.:(
Verbion
Live, and sometimes die, and learn.
LMAO

Irvington, KY

#10 Jan 28, 2011
We use to have a Challenger Learning Center that cost $4 Million to build, it's a day care now, closed due to lack of interest.
3rd World America

Blacklick, OH

#11 Jan 28, 2011
3rd World countries don't have space programs.
Gitcher Roxoff

Carlsbad, CA

#12 Jan 28, 2011
Got over it a long, long time ago. Typical effeminated attitude of wringing hands over events from so long ago, seeking "closure". Ridiculous.
Dave

Louisville, KY

#13 Jan 28, 2011
The Sixties. A nation pulled apart by a foreign war, the cold war, domestic civil rights protests, assassinations, grand orators, segregation, riots, and sex, drugs and rock & roll.

Through all that, a goal set for this nation by President Kennedy, a Keynesian who was assassinated before seeing the project through, brought us together for one common goal and one great achievement that showed the entire world what American determination can accomplish.

Then, after only three years of lunar visits, America took a "Been there - done that" approach to manned lunar flights, setting instead less lofty goals. Ho-hum.

The Space Shuttle program was a political plaything. Fund it some when it was popular. Cut back when it was not. Certainly don't work on a successor transport system.

And now we're stuck in the mud, nearly Earthbound. We don't have the momentum for the next great American accomplishment. We need great challenges to unite us in common goals. Unfortunately, our business leaders, political leaders and other public figures seem mostly interested in what our country can do for each of them.
Dave

Louisville, KY

#14 Jan 28, 2011
Unbelievable! My last comment was automatically censored, and poorly at that. A common expression for boredom was edited to read "****-hum." Apparently the website thought the first two letters were intended as a disrespectful reference to a woman? I bet it will change the same letters if someone makes a reference to a once-popular scale of toy trains.
Gahanna Girl

New York, NY

#15 Jan 28, 2011
dorothea wrote:
It's been 25 yrs, move on already. Don't dwell on tragedy.
Oh, my dorothea. Either you aren't old enough to remember this very memorable event or you're of the mindset that bad things just happen and we should just move on. I'd be curious of your thoughts on the upcoming memorials for the 10th anniversary of 9/11. Would you say "Don't dwell on tragedy" then? If so, I wouldn't want to be the on receiving end of those replies if I were you.
dirkdiggler

Chillicothe, OH

#16 Jan 28, 2011
Privatization of space travel? Good God, help us all...
Duncan

Columbus, OH

#17 Jan 28, 2011
Kasich is already is looking for a director for the Ohio Department of Space Travel!!
W Trent

United States

#18 Jan 28, 2011
The general public has no idea how many jobs the program creates. It employs people, develops the advance technology we are using to post this, and has developed all types of medical things. Why would anyone be against a program like this? The President blew it on this one! People just want a free handout from the government instead of investing in a solid program that has contributed so much over the years.
----------
dorothea

Columbus, OH

#19 Jan 28, 2011
Gahanna Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, my dorothea. Either you aren't old enough to remember this very memorable event or you're of the mindset that bad things just happen and we should just move on. I'd be curious of your thoughts on the upcoming memorials for the 10th anniversary of 9/11. Would you say "Don't dwell on tragedy" then? If so, I wouldn't want to be the on receiving end of those replies if I were you.
Yes, it was sad, but why rehash? Gets exhausting. And as far as 9/11, the less we focus on it, the better. If I lost someone in this, I wouldn't want the reminder and rehash. Thre you have it.
Dave

Louisville, KY

#20 Jan 28, 2011
If NASA isn't going to be funded to take the lead, then maybe the Ohio Department of Space Travel isn't as far fetched as you intend. Better to have a domestic agency of some kind, rather than pay Russia, China, or some other foreign concern to operate space taxi and space delivery services.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cape Canaveral Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Strange Plane Flying Over Rockledge and MI At N... (Feb '17) Oct 17 Brevard Times 8
Constant Plane Noise in Rockledge (Jan '11) Oct 17 Brevard Times 33
DO NOT rent from Troy Stephan (Jun '15) Oct 16 Not a Troy fan 20
News BDB: Keepin' it classy, Brevard. Crowd drops pr... Oct 10 BDS - AIPAC 1
News 60-year-old teacher preyed on a student, had th... Oct 10 USS LIBERTY 1
News Ritual puts Messianic Jews, others in uproar (Feb '12) Oct 3 raphan disbarred 204
Merritt Island prepare for Irma Oct 3 easy 4

Cape Canaveral Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cape Canaveral Mortgages